Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Gatchaman (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 01-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #21
Special Member

Dec 2008
Chamber Of Secrets

I used to sneak and watch this on vhs as a kid, that speaker part was great then
Old 01-07-2016, 01:28 AM   #22
Special Member

Feb 2012
NJ

Love Stern! Love the movie! That said, unless this has some bonus features, I'll probably stick to my DVD copy (at least until the price drops below $10).
Old 01-07-2016, 03:00 AM   #23
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I don't know about Howard Stern, but the stuff with him and Paul Giamatti (as Kenny "Pig Vomit" Rushton) is hilarious. To this day, I cannot hear "W-N-B-C" and not at least smile.

In fact, you could make a plausible argument that Giamatti benefited from the film far more than Stern has ever done, except perhaps financially.
Thanks given by:
cakefactory (01-07-2016), HeavyHitter (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:22 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2015

Fun fact: the real-life guy was known as "Pig Virus", but they changed it to "Pig Vomit" for the movie version.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #25
Power Member

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman View Post
I stuck in much longer. Been listening to Stern for a long time, but this year when it was time to renew my SiriusXM membership, I just couldn't justify it anymore. His interviews are great in-and-of themselves... better than anyone in the industry. But for regular listeners, they're just the same questions over and over again. "Don't you kind of have to fall in love with whoever the lead is? Is it hard to separate that from your normal life? How does you significant other feel about that?" Nice line of thought, but we don't need it regurgitated for everyone who walks through the door. And, in general, the show material just isn't as good. Howard also seems to be really annoyed by anything and everything nowadays, like he's not even having fun with it. So, I said, "Out."
He hates getting older I think. I'm sure it's much easier to get used to the idea of aging when you are worth as much money as he is though Then again, the narcissist in him probably hates the fact that his age will force him to eventually throw in the towel. I couldn't imagine Howard just being a regular rich guy that isn't getting much attention. He is a total egomaniac.

As for the film, it's entertaining and all, but it's really nothing special. It seemed better in 1997. I doubt it will benefit much from being in HD. It wasn't a particularly great looking film. It was shot in a very standard way, kind of like a t.v film.

MCCRUTCHY: Giamatti claims that the film really helped his career. It was the biggest role he had at that point.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:27 AM   #26
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2011
Buffalo NY

Noticed this is on Netflix in HD, I will watch it again soon.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:28 PM   #27
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Great news, if true! Another dvd will get upgraded!
Old 01-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaheso View Post
He hates getting older I think. I'm sure it's much easier to get used to the idea of aging when you are worth as much money as he is though Then again, the narcissist in him probably hates the fact that his age will force him to eventually throw in the towel. I couldn't imagine Howard just being a regular rich guy that isn't getting much attention. He is a total egomaniac.

As for the film, it's entertaining and all, but it's really nothing special. It seemed better in 1997. I doubt it will benefit much from being in HD. It wasn't a particularly great looking film. It was shot in a very standard way, kind of like a t.v film.

MCCRUTCHY: Giamatti claims that the film really helped his career. It was the biggest role he had at that point.
I have not seen the movie in years, so not sure how well it will hold up for me but I probably still pick it up as it had some great scenes in it - and Warner has been treating their catalogs nicely for a while now so I expect it to me a nice upgrade over the DVD at all levels.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #29
Special Member

Sep 2010
Toronto, Canada

Excellent news if true! I haven't watched this in probably 15 years and it is one of those Holy Grails that I've been waiting to get my hands on in HD. Shame that it will probably be bare bones but at least it will be available at last.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:43 PM   #30
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

This would be a nice upgrade as the DVD release was non-anamorphic.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:59 PM   #31
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
I don't know about Howard Stern, but the stuff with him and Paul Giamatti (as Kenny "Pig Vomit" Rushton) is hilarious. To this day, I cannot hear "W-N-B-C" and not at least smile.

In fact, you could make a plausible argument that Giamatti benefited from the film far more than Stern has ever done, except perhaps financially.
I watched this last year on a whim (I don't listen to Stern) and was surprised by how funny it was. The Pig Vomit stuff is legitimately hilarious. I really liked the movie overall even if it's some seriously white-washed sappy BS in terms of all the relationship stuff
Old 01-07-2016, 03:41 PM   #32
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphywmm View Post
This would be a nice upgrade as the DVD release was non-anamorphic.
Ah, that's right - the DVD was not even anamorphic - the Blu should be a big upgrade.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM   #33
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Dayton, OH

pig vomit
Old 01-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #34
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
Originally Posted by format916 View Post
i re watched this recently and robin is pretty stiff in this movie. still its a great film.
well yea, cuz' she was so great in all her previous ACTING roles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
Considering how his marriage turned out, this film would probably be better today if he stuck more to the backstage/behind the scenes radio stuff and less on the "romance."
time marches on, things and people change - imagine that

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesncc1701 View Post
How awesome would it be to have both the theatrical and TV cut where Stern pauses the film and comes on screen during the dirty parts? Wishful thinking but still. I recently re watched my DVD and it doesn't hols up well so this would be a welcome upgrade. I can only imagine how awesome the LFE will be in lossless during the "speaker" scene.

[Show spoiler]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbas593 View Post
I used to sneak and watch this on vhs as a kid, that speaker part was great then
see above

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post

ditto, he is/was great in this.
Old 01-07-2016, 05:01 PM   #35
Special Member

Dec 2007
Pennsylvania

This is one of very few Paramount movies without an HD master. They have been leagues above everyone else in preserving their catalog.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:19 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010
Texas
-
-
-

I hope that would be good news... Not fan of Howard Stern but this movie is good. So I don't have DVD yet and hopefully when Blu to be announced. Oh I forgot... I have CD soundtracks also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesncc1701 View Post
How awesome would it be to have both the theatrical and TV cut where Stern pauses the film and comes on screen during the dirty parts? Wishful thinking but still. I recently re watched my DVD and it doesn't hols up well so this would be a welcome upgrade. I can only imagine how awesome the LFE will be in lossless during the "speaker" scene.
My first time I saw this on USA network on TV before I seen in VHS and DVD... I thought USA network TV version is same as VHS and DVD... weird.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:53 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011

I'm in for noin copies.
Thanks given by:
amoergosum (01-08-2016), cemetaryrider89 (01-07-2016), sahoward (01-07-2016), Tardo317 (01-08-2016), Wally Q (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 08:55 PM   #38
Special Member

May 2008

Hopefully this is true. I've been wanting to upgrade my non-anamorphic DVD for years. I've never been a fan of Stern's radio show, but I still love this movie.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

This would be great news if it's confirmed. I had just gotten into Howard around or shortly before that time and tried to listen to his show when I could and watched some of the cable version on tv. Thought the movie was enjoyable and am glad Howard ultimately decided to take on the role himself.

Last edited by meremortal; 01-07-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #40
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERYONE LIES View Post
This is one of very few Paramount movies without an HD master. They have been leagues above everyone else in preserving their catalog.
Really? I saw this OTA HD a few years ago.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists