Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
20 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
15 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72
5 hrs ago
Avengers: Age of Ultron 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.17
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs

Old 12-20-2018, 03:44 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default LG will make OLED TVs that roll up like posters a reality in 2019

If the picture quality of this ultra thin roll up poster style OLED display is the same or better then what consumers have in 2018, then this well be a very popular product.

The first models well only be around 65 inches. Just imagine having a 120 inch OLED roll up poster style OLED screen in the far future. You walk in your door to your home and unroll a 120 inch screen to place on the wall.

"LG last January unveiled TV sets that roll up like posters, but that was just a concept that wasn’t ready for an actual commercial launch. However, things will change next year, as the Korean giant is hoping to revive its ailing TV business by bringing this novel form factor to life in the real world."

https://bgr.com/2018/12/18/lg-rollab...loomberg-says/
Old 12-20-2018, 04:22 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Curious as to how they will implement the Power & HDMI ports?
Old 12-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackinhedz View Post
Curious as to how they will implement the Power & HDMI ports?

Most likely the paper thin or poster thin OLED monitors well have its HDMI ports, ATSC 3.0 tuner, and power cord in a external box the size of a Blu-ray player. Then using wireless methods HDMI well be transmitted wirelessly, and over short distances HDMI wireless can be very reliable.

The control box well use a standard 3 prong AC plug most likely that well convert everything to DC voltages, and since electricity cannot be transmitted wirelessly using current technology, most likely the only wire going to the paper thin TV would be a very thin DC power cord that would plug in the bottom of the TV. Perhaps where the cord plugs in at the bottom the TV could be a half a inch thicker for a one inch area at the bottom.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Another thing is these paper thin OLED's first generation TV's might be very expensive, however when we get to the third or fourth generation they should be able to make them cheaper then a LCD display since they use less material and they might only weigh less then 5 pounds.

Environmental groups well like the paper and poster thin displays since they use a lot less material compared to LCD TV's. Who knows in two decades from now LCD TV's might be mandated to go out of production just like CRT TV's were. Then two decades from now maybe the only TV's at retail stores might be paper thin ones like OLED flat panels that roll up like posters.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:47 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

I want a hologram that I can display anywhere, and in nearly any size, with stunning picture quality. I have no interest in roll-up paper thin displays; I want a display that completely disappears when I turn it off and reappears when, and wherever, I want it.

While we're at it, I want to be able to teleport and I would like a food and drink replicator a la Star Trek.
Thanks given by:
Alucard64 (12-20-2018), Petra_Kalbrain (12-20-2018)
Old 12-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

I would even be happy if we could just eliminate the need for wires. My home theater, with its 14 input devices and multiple speakers, has a maze of wires of varying types behind it that should not be necessary in 2019. Why can't we have a wireless home network and near field communications that are secure, high bandwidth, and immune from any interference short of the EMP of a nuclear blast?

Tesla was experimenting with the transmission of wireless power 127 years ago and here, in 2019, we are still tethered by wires like a technological infant with an inseverable umbilical cord to 19th century Edison-esque thinking.

I hate running wires everywhere to and from everything; why can't we untangle ourselves from them? I even dislike power cords and the dependency upon strategically located wall outlets. Stringing, and then concealing, speaker wire across every dimension of the viewing room is another pain in the arse. Cutting the cord should mean more than ditching cable TV; free us from all these damnable wires! I do not need a thinner TV; I need tech improvements that really improve my quality of life. Decluttering my home of all of these crazy cables would be a most welcome innovation.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-20-2018 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
Another thing is these paper thin OLED's first generation TV's might be very expensive, however when we get to the third or fourth generation they should be able to make them cheaper then a LCD display since they use less material and they might only weigh less then 5 pounds.

Environmental groups well like the paper and poster thin displays since they use a lot less material compared to LCD TV's. Who knows in two decades from now LCD TV's might be mandated to go out of production just like CRT TV's were. Then two decades from now maybe the only TV's at retail stores might be paper thin ones like OLED flat panels that roll up like posters.
OLED itself is far more expensive currenlty to make than LED and I don't see that changing any time soon. It isn't the box they are hosted in that requires the hefty pricetag, it is the pannel that cost so much. Yes, shipping costs could go down, but realisitcally if LED TVs are at the 65 inch for $350 with free shipping, it is hard to imagine OLED beating that just based on shipping costs.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:01 PM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2017
Vermont

Quote:
Just imagine having a 120 inch OLED roll up poster style OLED screen in the far future. You walk in your door to your home and unroll a 120 inch screen to place on the wall.

Enjoy your $1,000,000 roll up TV.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:47 PM   #9
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwnut13 View Post
Enjoy your $1,000,000 roll up TV.

Another advantage of roll up flat panels under 10 pounds: It makes it very easy to upgrade. Sale the old one on EBAY and then buy a new model. Its a lot harder to ship the old plasmas and old LCD screens that are around 150 pounds for 60 inches.

At CES 2019 LG is going to show a 120 inch projector that sits on a TV stand. This short throw technology is amazing.

"The space-saving projector can be placed a little more than 2 inches from the wall to project a 90-inch diagonal image, while moving it 7 inches away allows it to project a 120-inch image."

https://www.twice.com/product/lgs-ci...hu85l-ces-2019
Old 12-21-2018, 05:03 PM   #10
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

My 2016 model 60" LED weighs 69.4 pounds with the stand; you are exaggerating the weight there a bit. Those hernia inducing TVs of yore are practically a decade old or more; doubt there's much of a market for a TV with 10+ years on it.

I hardly see the ease of reselling a TV as much of an incentive to buy it in the first place; it should be so damn wonderful that I never want to part with it. At the very least I should love any TV that I buy so much that I keep it for a very long time thereby reducing its resell value to nearly nothing.

The last used TV that I sold was a 32" CRT and the buyer picked it up; I've never shipped a TV anywhere ever. The considerable weight of that boat anchor was therefore irrelevant. I gave away a 2006 model 62" DLP set; it weighed 133 pounds, but, as before, the recipient picked it up.

Short throw projectors are fun, but they ain't no hologram.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-21-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:45 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

Why do I need to roll up my TV? To take it on vacation with me or something? Tie a string around it and throw it over my shoulder to take backpacking through the woods?

Thanks given by:
Vilya (12-24-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 04:57 AM   #12
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

Well you could take a 7' x 17' (200 inch wide) OLED CinemaScope screen with you through the stairs or elevator without having to use a crane to try lifting up to your 7th floor apartment and hope it fits through your balcony

Also since they roll up, you could choose to make it flat or super curved 180 virtual reality OLEDARAMA
Thanks given by:
gkolb (12-23-2018), HDTV1080P (12-22-2018), revgen (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 07:19 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
My 2016 model 60" LED weighs 69.4 pounds with the stand; you are exaggerating the weight there a bit. Those hernia inducing TVs of yore are practically a decade old or more; doubt there's much of a market for a TV with 10+ years on it.

I hardly see the ease of reselling a TV as much of an incentive to buy it in the first place; it should be so damn wonderful that I never want to part with it. At the very least I should love any TV that I buy so much that I keep it for a very long time thereby reducing its resell value to nearly nothing.

The last used TV that I sold was a 32" CRT and the buyer picked it up; I've never shipped a TV anywhere ever. The considerable weight of that boat anchor was therefore irrelevant. I gave away a 2006 model 62" DLP set; it weighed 133 pounds, but, as before, the recipient picked it up.

Short throw projectors are fun, but they ain't no hologram.

Its much easier to upgrade ones Blu-ray player and A/V receiver when compared to a flat panel screen. The average person upgrades their main display every 10 years while some people wait 20 years to upgrade their display. A 10 year old 60 inch Pioneer PRO-151FD plasma inside the retail box weights 168 pounds. One needs a freight truck to come and pick it up if its sold on EBAY. If one could have a roll up poster flat panel display that weighed 30 pounds, 20 pounds, or under 10 pounds. One could easily upgrade it and drop it off at the Post Office for the person that bought it on EBAY. The ability to upgrade and move around these poster style OLED screens is very attractive as long as the picture quality and longevity matches or beats existing OLED screens. Plus over the decades OLED might become cheaper in price when compared to LCD screens as the cost of production decreases with volume and less material being used. These displays well be very energy efficient in theory.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/e.../PRO-151FD.pdf

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-22-2018 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #14
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2011
Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I would even be happy if we could just eliminate the need for wires.
This.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:27 PM   #15
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustinCohle View Post
Why do I need to roll up my TV? To take it on vacation with me or something? Tie a string around it and throw it over my shoulder to take backpacking through the woods?

Simple. Instead of bolting my TV to the wall and pulling the projector screen down in front of it I could bolt my projector screen to the wall and pull my TV down in front of it

Bur the serious answer is being able to have a large display in an area in which you don't necessarily want a huge display all the time.

This kind of thinking might be foreign to most of us but a lot of people don't want big-ass TVs in the middle of their living rooms. Being able to just push a button and have that TV appear and disappear would be a big plus for a lot of people.
Thanks given by:
gkolb (12-23-2018), HDTV1080P (12-22-2018)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:42 PM   #16
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Its much easier to upgrade ones Blu-ray player and A/V receiver when compared to a flat panel screen. The average person upgrades their main display every 10 years while some people wait 20 years to upgrade their display. A 10 year old 60 inch Pioneer PRO-151FD plasma inside the retail box weights 168 pounds. One needs a freight truck to come and pick it up if its sold on EBAY. If one could have a roll up poster flat panel display that weighed 30 pounds, 20 pounds, or under 10 pounds. One could easily upgrade it and drop it off at the Post Office for the person that bought it on EBAY. The ability to upgrade and move around these poster style OLED screens is very attractive as long as the picture quality and longevity matches or beats existing OLED screens. Plus over the decades OLED might become cheaper in price when compared to LCD screens as the cost of production decreases with volume and less material being used. These displays well be very energy efficient in theory.

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/e.../PRO-151FD.pdf
If I am going to pay a substantial premium for a new TV technology, it must also offer substantial improvements in its primary function: the displaying of movies and TV shows.

Convenience, portability, and the potential ease of shipping it when, and if, I ever sell it are not compelling to me at all. Performance piques my interest and little else.

By the time I am willing to part with a premium TV, typically a decade after acquiring one, the resell value is so low that selling it is not worth the bother and certainly packing it up and shipping it isn't, either. 10 year-old used TVs seldom sell for much. Too much hassle, too little return: I just donate or recycle them now.

I will put a TV everywhere that I want one before I am willing to disconnect one and tote it off to different locations and then back again. All of that rolling and unrolling of the screen will likely scratch it up or damage it in some other way. After several re-rollings I wouldn't be a bit surprised if the screen failed to stay flat; it would probably start to curl up from the edges like a fuzzy blacklight poster that has been moved a few times too many. TV screens should be handled and touched as little as possible; moving them around increases the risk of damage. For what this roll-up model will cost I could probably buy two, maybe even more, conventional TVs with equal picture quality and just park 'em where I want 'em.

It will take more than portability and light weight to get me to pay the extra expense for a fruit flavored roll-up TV that probably offers no picture improvement. If TV manufacturers want me to spend more, they will have to give me more where it counts most.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-22-2018 at 10:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #17
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

LG's new roll-up OLED TV has a base (box) that houses the rolled-up OLED and has the motor, power supply, audio system and all of the inputs/outputs.

I've seen this new LG technology in a few iterations. Extremely cool display and fits well in formal livings rooms where homeowners may not normally have a TV or for applications that do not have a wall or location for a traditional TV.

It's a designer/decorators dream and will delight any video enthusiasts as well.
Thanks given by:
craigpb (12-23-2018), HDTV1080P (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 03:55 AM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Zohn View Post
LG's new roll-up OLED TV has a base (box) that houses the rolled-up OLED and has the motor, power supply, audio system and all of the inputs/outputs.

I've seen this new LG technology in a few iterations. Extremely cool display and fits well in formal livings rooms where homeowners may not normally have a TV or for applications that do not have a wall or location for a traditional TV.

It's a designer/decorators dream and will delight any video enthusiasts as well.
The price for this decorating option might well dampen the enthusiasm you anticipate if that is all it really has to offer.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Its a OLED display that is super thin, and at the very minimum it should match or beat the picture quality of a typical low cost LCD display. But hopefully it would also match or beat the picture quality of a high-end 2018 OLED screen (But one well need to wait for professional reviews once the product is released to see how good the item is).

I am also interested in the best possible picture quality from a high-end 8K or 4K 3 chip DLP projector or OLED flat panel. And that means I would purchase a projector over a OLED screen. And for a bedroom set I would purchase a big and heavy OLED screen if it had a better picture quality when compared to the coming soon paper or poster thin ones that roll up.

However that being said, the average consumer that shops at Walmart for flat panels would go for a cheap low cost OLED screen that had the same picture quality as a LCD screen if the OLED screen was under 10 pounds and almost paper thin when it comes to thickness. In the future LG and other companies could make high-end OLED screens while at the same time making lower end OLED screens for the mass market (As long as the mass market low end screens does not destroy the high-end market).
Old 12-23-2018, 11:35 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2011
End of the line

Don't know how you define "cheap," but that word and "OLED" are not seen together often.

The "cheap" 65" LG C8 model OLED at my local Walmart still sells for $2800. My store only stocks the "C" series. It only weighs 56 pounds with the stand and 46 pounds without it- not even close to being "big and heavy". I use to be able to arm curl the latter amount of weight before the decadence that is retirement turned me into the half-baked couch potato that I am now.

Last edited by Vilya; 12-24-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs