Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
007: The Daniel Craig Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99

Creature from the Black Lagoon: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Frankenstein: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Hammer Horror 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
20 hrs ago
The Thing (Blu-ray)
$10.39

Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
20 hrs ago
Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
$15.00
15 hrs ago
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
The Wolf Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
20 hrs ago
Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.72
5 hrs ago
Avengers: Age of Ultron 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.17
4 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs

Old 01-18-2008, 02:07 PM   #41
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptube View Post
I dunno why this samsung tv hasn't been getting more attention, its apparently been out in Europe for like a month now.
http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...-LED-LCD-TV/p1
That's a nice looking TV, but today it is almost hard to buy a bad LCD TV.
Yes, I know you get what you pay for but they still have to look good to sell.
Back in 2000 they were treasures, but old news today. OLED will lead the future as Plasma and LCD will face extinction. Hard to imagine anything better than OLED.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #42
Power Member

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by tron3 View Post
That's a nice looking TV, but today it is almost hard to buy a bad LCD TV.
Yes, I know you get what you pay for but they still have to look good to sell.
Back in 2000 they were treasures, but old news today. OLED will lead the future as Plasma and LCD will face extinction. Hard to imagine anything better than OLED.
just to confirm, that linekd TV is an LED tv. my point in posting it was because everyone is making a huge fuss over LED tvs and sony has an little tiny one out, and there are tons of them at CES and oh woulnd't it be nice to see a real tv in the market----and there is one. that tv, and it has completely gone under the radar.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:57 PM   #43
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
in the garbage
Send a message via Yahoo to bageleaterkkjji Send a message via Skype™ to bageleaterkkjji

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
I'm greedy. I have to have at least 60,000 hours.
same here if i buy a tv it has to have at least 500,000:1 contrast and 60k hours lol
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 AM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom
Default Oled In 2010

We already know that Sony recently released the XEL-1 in japan december & is releasing in the US this year, so they're already available in the market but probably not in the sizes we want yet

I'm going to be personally now saving for one in the hopes that there is a
30"+ version in 2010

Any others?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2007
in the garbage
Send a message via Yahoo to bageleaterkkjji Send a message via Skype™ to bageleaterkkjji

im hoping by the end of this year theres over atleast a 30" for under 4k
edit: but wouldnt pay for one until they get under 4k and 50 inchers
Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008

OLED should actually be cheaper to manufacture in large quantities and sizes than LCD, so I'm expecting prices to drop dramatically very quickly.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #47
Power Member

Sep 2007
Northern California

I don't know how quickly they'll want to drop those prices. It's going to be a high-end TV so I would expect higher prices for awhile.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #48

Jan 2008

I can hear LCD saying it now: "i coulda been big, I coulda been a contender..."

http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/01/25...-exceeds-lcds/
Old 05-22-2008, 01:11 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2006
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Send a message via Yahoo to WriteSimply Send a message via Skype™ to WriteSimply
Default Sony: OLED Superior to LCD

From Tech-On!

Quote:
Yoshito Shiraishi, general manager of E-Products and Business Development Department, TV Business Group, Sony Corp, delivered his keynote speech titled "Sony's Challenge to be the First Out with OLED TVs" and discussed history, performance and future prospects of Sony's OLED panel development at "SID 2008."

Sony launched its "XEL-1," the world's first 11-inch OLED TV, in December 2007 (See related article 1). Revealing that Sony "came up with a new prototype every three months" when developing the OLED TV, Shiraishi introduced some episodes that illustrate that Sony continuously updated the specifications over a short period of time.

fuad
Old 05-22-2008, 01:13 PM   #50
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2007
Tonawanda, NY

So what's the appropriate viewing distance for an 11" TV? My guess is about toilet-to-wall distance...
Old 05-22-2008, 01:15 PM   #51

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Superior, but currently not economically wise.... Some people will buy it in a 37" size or so, despite the fact that it won't look any different to the human eye than a 1080p LCD, just to get a slimmer television on their wall (My brother has a Kuro, that he runs standard Cable to, with no Blu, no DVD, etc... he just wants a television he can hang on his wall)

Until you get into the 75+ " size, it's gonna be pretty insignificant, and at those sizes, we'll have to see what prices do.... is the technology one where larger sizes can be produced for only marginal increases in cost???? I don't think so based on what I've read, but you don't know.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:27 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2004
New Jersey

The problem with OLED size is they still need to gear up the facilities to make larger screens in mass quantities.

OLED is made in similar fashion to printing with an inkjet printer. Thus, I tend to believe the first prototype is 11" because the mylar film they printed to was 8.5" x 11", just like Standard paper. Therefore, the screen is probably 8 x 11 when you consider the end margins.

Now, don't take that as gospel, but that is how technology evolves. I once heard that the space program is hindered because of the ass end of two horses. Meaning, when coal mining started, large carts were dragged in and out of the cave by two horses. Someone had the great idea of using a rail system to get the carts to roll better. Naturally, the rails had to be spaced out far enough for two horses to walk side by side.

That same rail measurement was then adopted for trains. Therefore, when shipping pieces of space shuttles or space stations on trains for assembly, they can be as long as they like, but not as wide as they like. All because someone decided the ass end of two horses was wide enough. <end history rant>

So yeah, oled needs larger printing facilities.

Last edited by tron3; 05-23-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2006
Switzerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
Superior, but currently not economically wise.... Some people will buy it in a 37" size or so, despite the fact that it won't look any different to the human eye than a 1080p LCD, just to get a slimmer television on their wall (My brother has a Kuro, that he runs standard Cable to, with no Blu, no DVD, etc... he just wants a television he can hang on his wall)

Until you get into the 75+ " size, it's gonna be pretty insignificant, and at those sizes, we'll have to see what prices do.... is the technology one where larger sizes can be produced for only marginal increases in cost???? I don't think so based on what I've read, but you don't know.

It's not just the slim factor, contrast is much higher so there should be amazing black levels possible with OLED.
Old 05-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2006
www.blurayoasis.com

Food for thought:

Sony's forthcoming XBR8 series of LCD's this fall will come in 46 and 55 inch size. It will include some new tech including a refined and improved triluminous backlight LED and some other bells and whistles.

I've kept tabs on these and the best I gather on them from quasi insiders and such is this: We'll be lucky if we see the 46xbr8 come out any lower than mid to high 4 grand.

The 55? Lucky if you see it at $5500...the talk has it coming out closer to 7 grand.

LCD has come so far in terms of costs, production, and volume. I'm frankly amazed I'm still seeing high premium prices like that bandied about, and I'm hardly singling Sony out on that.

My point? Maybe OLED needs to be pushed a long a bit quicker and isn't quite up there in the stratosphere after all.

I'm thinking I just should wait for OLED at the rate this is all going.

I'm so sorry that Sony, for one, abandoned the RPTV market with their excellent SXRD LCOS sets. I'll never understand why they did that. Those were popular. They were affordable and they were excellent performers.

I was very eager to see what the next line of SXRD sets after this already stellar a3000 series was going to look like.

In this kind of economy, who the hell is going to pay upwards of 4-5 grand plus for an LCD? I can't see myself doing it.

Pardon this rant. The reason I feel this way because I'm finally itching to make an upgrade past my albeit excellent KD34xbr960 CRT tube. I'd like an awesome performer with a larger screen, but I don't know...maybe I ought to just keep waiting. This entire market still seems overpriced and too volatile for my tastes with varying degrees of performance, reliability, and law of diminishing returns all over the place.

^^ I single no one brand or tech out for that.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:12 PM   #55

Jun 2007
Calgary, Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
despite the fact that it won't look any different to the human eye than a 1080p LCD
i have to 100% disagree with that. LCD's typically have a responce time of 5-10ms, whereas OLED can get 0.01ms. LCD's typically have a true contrast ratio of 1:2000 on higher end units, whereas OLED can get 1:1000000.
i've got an SXRD (2ms and 1:10000) and a friend of mine has an LCD of some sort, they're both 1080p but mine looks significantly better, there's a hell of alot more to picture quality than just resolution.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #56
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

I actually heard that OLED right now is not expected to last as long as LCD and Plasma screens. So until the sizes are bigger, the price tag is lower, and the life-span is longer, this will remain a fantasy.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2008
Moore, Oklahoma
Send a message via Yahoo to brett_day

sony has just announced that they will be making medium to large size oled in 2009...about the same time that samsung was going to rev up it's efforts in that technology!

http://www.engadget.com/2008/05/22/s...009-samsung-t/

this is actually pretty good news for the lcd lovers out there...as the market starts to turn its attention to OLED, the prices of lcd tv will surely begin to fall even more than they have been recently!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #58

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

LCD prices will "CONTINUE" to fall due to the switch to digital signal, and the fact that all of the "trailblazers" out there already got theirs.... so the manufacturers will continue to produce them more efficiently, and lower prices to get more people into the HDTV market......

I don't think OLED will have much affect on the LCD prices until OLEDs are sold to the general population in Big-Box stores, etc... and that is a LONG way off.

We're here talking about the upcoming OLEDs, and specs, etc... when Joe-Consumer doesn't even know what the hell an OLED is!!!!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:33 PM   #59
Expert Member

Mar 2007

OLED will be what LCD is today to the market, 10-15 years from now.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:40 PM   #60
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle

Hopefully in 10 years, my next tv with be a 70"+ OLED 3D UltraHDTV... or better
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > OLED TVs