Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Bad Boys I & II 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
15 hrs ago
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby (Blu-ray)
$4.99
18 hrs ago
X-Men Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
The Predator (Blu-ray)
$19.99
 
The Meg (Blu-ray)
$24.99
 
Lucifer: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$25.15
 
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
 
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (Blu-ray)
$26.42
 
The Hitman's Bodyguard (Blu-ray)
$9.99
 
Goosebumps (Blu-ray)
$7.99
4 hrs ago
Sailor Moon Super S: Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.37
 
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2018, 09:16 PM   #1021
JAL4U2C JAL4U2C is online now
Special Member
 
Aug 2014
TN
1133
354
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
As the Frankensteins are incomplete I'd go for Must Be Destroyed as it's a great movie.
As all the Dracs will be available soon I would try and view them in order (assuming you import the first one)
Yeah i think i'm going to hold off watching them when they arrive until i can watch in the correct order. Then again, i may just go for it anyways.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #1022
Michael24 Michael24 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Michael24's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Central California
212
289
2
Default

It's interesting that the Dracula movies maintain a sense continuity from one to the next (for the most part; the beginning of Scars seems to retcon the setting where the previous film ended, and AD 1972/Satanic Rites are their own little rebooted duology), whereas the Frankenstein films beyond the first two are more like standalone adventures just placing Frankenstein in different settings and dealing with different themes, with their own backstories that make it apparent they aren't connected to one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
I think Twins of Evil was where everything clicked and I utterly loved it, and from there I pretty much only watched Hammer movies for a few months and Cushing/Lee/Ripper all felt like old friends every time I'd see them.
I was the same way between last October and early this year, watching what felt like nothing but Hammer between TCM Halloween showings and renting what I could from Netflix, finally getting a chance to dive in and see more than I had before. And nice to see a shoutout for Michael Ripper. He's been one of my favorite elements of the films I've seen, whether it's a small role or (even better) a large one. I think my favorite role of his I've seen so far was as the barkeeper in The Reptile, followed by the coffinmaker in Night Creatures.
My Pop! Vinyl Collection | Favorites Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Blade Runner, Halloween, The Mummy (1999) | 4K ShmoreK

Last edited by Michael24; 09-21-2018 at 09:29 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #1023
cakefactory cakefactory is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
cakefactory's Avatar
 
Oct 2012
WI, USA
1793
743
1
22
Default

He's also very good in the oft-maligned Mummy's Shroud, you really feel for that character!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 09:54 PM   #1024
Michael24 Michael24 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Michael24's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Central California
212
289
2
Default

Yeah, I thought that movie was just okay but
[Show spoiler]that he probably had the most brutal death in it. I was like "No!" when I saw he was about to get it.
My Pop! Vinyl Collection | Favorites Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Blade Runner, Halloween, The Mummy (1999) | 4K ShmoreK
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 AM   #1025
LeeFanatic007 LeeFanatic007 is offline
Special Member
 
Feb 2013
Southeastern Ohio
568
538
165
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
As the Frankensteins are incomplete I'd go for Must Be Destroyed as it's a great movie.
As all the Dracs will be available soon I would try and view them in order (assuming you import the first one)
You'd also have to import Scars of Dracula which is only on Blu-ray in Region 2 and I believe is completely OOP in the US.
Sir Christopher Lee: May 27th, 1922 - June 7th, 2015

Always Remembered, Never Forgotten!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #1026
EManT2200 EManT2200 is online now
Senior Member
 
EManT2200's Avatar
 
Mar 2008
676
157
Send a message via Yahoo to EManT2200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFanatic007 View Post
You'd also have to import Scars of Dracula which is only on Blu-ray in Region 2 and I believe is completely OOP in the US.






I have the region 2 blu of Scars of Dracula, as I have a region free blu-ray player, was actually pleased with the picture quality of it.
Samsung 51" PN51E490 3D tv , Onkyo TX-NR809 7.2 A/V reciever, Outlaw Audio 7125 7 ch. amplifier, Sony BDP-S7200 3D smart blu-ray player, RCA DRC-8005N dvd recorder, Onkyo C-7030 cd player, 1981 Realistic Lab-420 turntable, Polk Audio LSiM703 mains, Polk Audio LSiM704c center, Polk Audio LSi7 surrounds, Polk Audio DSWmicroPRO 3000 subwoofer
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:53 AM   #1027
happydood happydood is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
happydood's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Los Angeles
493
80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EManT2200 View Post
I have the region 2 blu of Scars of Dracula, as I have a region free blu-ray player, was actually pleased with the picture quality of it.
I have it, too. I think it looks pretty great.

I got it to tide me over while I figure out if I want to invest in that German box set.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:04 AM   #1028
SuperFlyHighGuy SuperFlyHighGuy is offline
Special Member
 
SuperFlyHighGuy's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
north star
354
40
Default

Don't the Frankenstein movies follow each other though too? I can never keep them straight without looking at them, but some of them start right where the last one ended, thought it was just the last few that went off on their own (like Frankenstein & Monster From Hell).
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 03:11 AM   #1029
Michael24 Michael24 is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Michael24's Avatar
 
Nov 2009
Central California
212
289
2
Default

I watched all of them earlier this summer, all but the original for the first time, and only the first two are connected. The rest all function as standalone stories without any ties to each other. (The third film even has a flashback sequence that contradicts the monster's origins as seen in the first.) The only connection is basically just Peter Cushing as Dr. Frankenstein. His characterization varies wildly from one movie to the next and
[Show spoiler]he even dies at the end of some of them.
My Pop! Vinyl Collection | Favorites Movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Star Wars, Jaws, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, Jurassic Park, Blade Runner, Halloween, The Mummy (1999) | 4K ShmoreK
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:00 AM   #1030
SuperFlyHighGuy SuperFlyHighGuy is offline
Special Member
 
SuperFlyHighGuy's Avatar
 
Oct 2010
north star
354
40
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael24 View Post
I watched all of them earlier this summer, all but the original for the first time, and only the first two are connected. The rest all function as standalone stories without any ties to each other. (The third film even has a flashback sequence that contradicts the monster's origins as seen in the first.) The only connection is basically just Peter Cushing as Dr. Frankenstein. His characterization varies wildly from one movie to the next and
[Show spoiler]he even dies at the end of some of them.
Well yeah I guess what I meant by continuity was Cushing's character, where he
[Show spoiler]is run out of town, then changes his name slightly in the next film (those are amusing in themselves!), then gets jailed then supposedly executed, but comes back, etc..
. I suppose they don't have as much continuity as some of the Dracula ones where they are direct sequels in plot.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:31 AM   #1031
justinn007 justinn007 is offline
New Member
 
Sep 2018
Default

Heh. I'll wait for more details on this one. I got the very limited Thunderbean version, and I can't say I got much enjoyment out of it. It was apparently a different cut of the movie. I'm not sure how much a recut would save it, though!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:15 AM   #1032
oddbox83 oddbox83 is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
oddbox83's Avatar
 
Sep 2013
UK
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFlyHighGuy View Post
Well yeah I guess what I meant by continuity was Cushing's character, where he
[Show spoiler]is run out of town, then changes his name slightly in the next film (those are amusing in themselves!), then gets jailed then supposedly executed, but comes back, etc..
. I suppose they don't have as much continuity as some of the Dracula ones where they are direct sequels in plot.
There is complete continuity between the first two in the series, and they are incompatible with what follows given how neatly the sequel ends in wrapping everything up. Evil of Frankenstein reboots the series in rewriting the origin story and monster and I consider it another first entry in the series.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #1033
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFanatic007 View Post
You'd also have to import Scars of Dracula which is only on Blu-ray in Region 2 and I believe is completely OOP in the US.
Forgot about that one. Although I'm pretty sure its not had a US Bluray release at all
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #1034
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
I have it, too. I think it looks pretty great.

I got it to tide me over while I figure out if I want to invest in that German box set.
Unless budget is a big issue I wouldn't bother with the German set. Apart from not including To The Devil A Daughter they all have German menus. Easily navigated but a bit annoying when Studio Canal usually do Europe wide discs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #1035
duckhead duckhead is offline
Member
 
May 2013
119
Default Hammer 21 disc dvd set

I know this is not blu ray but is this release worth it. I found decent prices on ebay. If needs to be moved to another thread, sorry. Thanks for any info!
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:56 PM   #1036
happydood happydood is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
happydood's Avatar
 
Sep 2011
Los Angeles
493
80
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdigriz. View Post
Unless budget is a big issue I wouldn't bother with the German set. Apart from not including To The Devil A Daughter they all have German menus. Easily navigated but a bit annoying when Studio Canal usually do Europe wide discs.
That might be a better plan to get them individually since I do want to get around to To The Devil and also want to pick up Sister Hyde and Blood From the Mummy's Tomb
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 PM   #1037
jimdigriz. jimdigriz. is offline
Active Member
 
Aug 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by happydood View Post
That might be a better plan to get them individually since I do want to get around to To The Devil and also want to pick up Sister Hyde and Blood From the Mummy's Tomb
They usually sit around 14.99 most of the time. HMV had them in their 2 for 25 deal from day one so that was the cheapest option from new but HMV don't ship to the US as far as I know.

Studio Canal discs are always over priced and never drop down to a permanent low price like practically every other label but they do drop down on occasion. Never too drastic , around 10 and you sometimes need to wait a long time before that happens, and the reductions are usually with one retailer at a time rather than across the board which makes it a pain to keep track of.
If budget is no issue I'd just order the lot from Amazon UK
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (09-22-2018), happydood (09-22-2018)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:45 AM.