Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Millennium Actress (Blu-ray)
$19.96
 
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
 
Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato Ė Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69
 
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Hunter x Hunter: The Last Mission (Blu-ray)
$19.99
7 hrs ago
Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$42.99
 
My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$41.25
 
Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$64.99
 
Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (Blu-ray)
$28.49
 
Cyborg 009 - The Cyborg Soldier: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
 
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: S1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$59.99
 
Yu Yu Hakusho: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 02:43 AM   #9241
mysticwaterfall mysticwaterfall is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
mysticwaterfall's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Right Behind You
263
1040
204
97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by different View Post
I definitely don't miss paying retail price though..
I remember going to Suncoast Video as a kid and buying a 3 episode VHS for $20.. Dark days.
I paid 2 for 25 when Ranma first came out, so I would have loved 3 for 20....
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:45 AM   #9242
Bobo1313 Bobo1313 is offline
Special Member
 
Bobo1313's Avatar
 
Jul 2013
Philadelphia, PA
35
Default

There was that small length of time when bestbuy had a epic anime section and they were reasonably priced. They even gave out a free monthly anime magazine. After dealing with the $30 Suncoast dvds, that bestbuy era was bliss.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
neoz (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 02:49 AM   #9243
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
164
488
3
Default

Best Buy still has plenty of anime. It's just that no one buys it there because everyone buys it for much cheaper on Amazon or else pirates. They just can't sell any Funimation stuff at retail MSRP. The anime sectional keeps going away, then coming back, going away, coming back.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:54 AM   #9244
Raye Raye is offline
Active Member
 
Raye's Avatar
 
Oct 2015
Hawaii
19
Default

I don't think any of us miss the '90s and early '00s when it came to buying anime. I remember asking my folks get me the official but raw DBZ movie 7 on VHS from a local Japanese store here. It cost $60. Same goes for Mewtwo Strikes Back. Bless my parents for paying those absurd prices... The first anime on DVD I purchased was Rurouni Kenshin volume 1 from Suncoast which was $30 for 4 episodes, and I remember buying Cowboy Bebop and Escaflowne from Amazon and DVD Empire, I believe it was. Each volume was on "sale" for $24. I remember going crazy during DeepDiscount's bi-annual sales. Prices for singles dropped to about $16-18. And people here want to say Aniplex prices are a ripoff? Don't think those folks experienced our woes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:56 AM   #9245
zenpai zenpai is online now
Senior Member
 
zenpai's Avatar
 
Feb 2015
Utah
1
449
256
605
28
128
Default

If anyone was looking for Arakawa Under the Bridge Seasons 1 & 2 Premium Editions, a Mercari seller is selling both sets together for only $84 HERE!
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mysticwaterfall (08-23-2019), Naiera (08-22-2019), pikagreg (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 01:12 PM   #9246
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
1
361
757
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
Best Buy still has plenty of anime. It's just that no one buys it there because everyone buys it for much cheaper on Amazon or else pirates. They just can't sell any Funimation stuff at retail MSRP. The anime sectional keeps going away, then coming back, going away, coming back.
But people can price match Amazon at Best Buy. Itís what I do. The fact of that matter is, while some Best Buys do have larger selection of Anime than other locations these days, itís usually just the well known series and movies with just a few not so well known ones mixed in. Plus much smaller space on the shelves while having each title having the front cover facing doesnít help either on being able to stock more titles. Wal-Mart is the same way but with even less titles to choose from compared to the Best Buy I go to. Wal-Mart does have a good amount right now but like many only have the DVD version especially with Viz Media.

I remember Best Buy when you could be there for 2 hours and still wouldnít be enough time to fully look at everything by having many titles that have the spine facing despite taking up both the front and back of the shelf because there was just so much. I miss when B&M companies were more competitive. Today they couldnít care less like theyíre allowing internet shopping to beat them. Though it would help to have some variety in these stores again.

Not saying everything should be released in stores, but sometimes I go into these stores to look for something I donít already have but itís usually a nope I have the ones I want already, not being ready to buy a title immediately, or that itís out of stock. The more variety, the better chance of not walking out empty-handed.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
El3mental (08-23-2019), Nothing371 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 03:18 PM   #9247
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
21
129
40
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
Best Buy still has plenty of anime. It's just that no one buys it there because everyone buys it for much cheaper on Amazon or else pirates. They just can't sell any Funimation stuff at retail MSRP. The anime sectional keeps going away, then coming back, going away, coming back.
The last time I went to a Best Buy and they had a huge anime selection was in 2011. Shortly after that is when everything was downsized, at least near me. Nowadays it takes them forever to update the anime releases. They get Viz's Pokemon releases after they've been out for months, not on day 1 anymore. I'd be there on release day to buy my Blu-rays if Best Buy gave a crap and carried any of it in store. If you're a fan of anything aside from Naruto and DBZ then you've got no choice but to buy on Amazon and receive damaged items.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #9248
pikagreg pikagreg is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
pikagreg's Avatar
 
Jun 2014
7
Default

My BB has a ton of anime though I only really buy GKIDS/Shout movies there unless there is something I want to PM Amazon on some Funi title like when Dragon Maid was $25 earlier this year.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:30 AM   #9249
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
164
488
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I miss when B&M companies were more competitive. Today they couldn’t care less like they’re allowing internet shopping to beat them. Though it would help to have some variety in these stores again.
How can they be competitive when they can't even compete? Amazon doesn't have to pay any taxes! They can afford to sell things for 20-30% cheaper. Rather, BB needs to sell things at a price 20-30% higher just to keep the lights on. I live near what used to be the BB with the best selection of anime and movies bar none at the Mall of America. Guess what, nobody shopped there! Tourists come and go, but the place was mostly dead and nobody was buying anything. They had ONE cashier lane open at all times during the last couple years it was open before they closed the store last August. Haven't you ever noticed that at some of the stores you shop at? Stores that used to have 4-5 checkout lanes at all times now have ONE cashier open.

People aren't shopping at big box brick&mortar retail anymore. There has been a large consumer shift towards going digital with their media, not replacing their phones or tablets as often, and going into stores just to window shop. Many folks buy their consumer electronics online. Everyone has multiple digital subscriptions now and for some people it's a laundry list. Cable television has been replaced and now people have Spotify, Netflix, HBO GO, ESPN+, HULU, podcasts, specialty sports news site memberships, irl loot boxes, Prime, satellite radio, digital newspaper, digital magazines, the list goes on and on. Things have changed man. It was very slow but now after ten years of gradual change the consumer landscape is very different from what it used to be.

Most of all,how in the world is Best Buy or anyone else supposed to be able to compete when Amazon doesn't have to pay any corporate taxes? The fix is in, my dude. These stores can't even compete anymore. Best Buy sells all sorts of video games and movies and hardly anyone shops there. Even people like you and me that complain about this type of stuff are guilty of it. Walk into the store, oh that's nice that's cool, walk out and then buy your stuff online somewhere cheaper or where they have better service. I mean come on, the vast majority of people here buy things from one particular retailer just so that they have the best chances of getting disc boxes in the best physical condition.

Everyone loves Best Buy. But very few people put their money where their mouth is. Even here, the physical disc media capital, many people avoid buying their blu-rays at Target and Walmart.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:02 AM   #9250
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
164
488
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
But people can price match Amazon at Best Buy. Itís what I do.
Oh and I didn't want to be dismissive of your main point. I do the same thing all the time too. But like you said their selection isn't very good anymore. So the stuff you often want to buy is online-only. It can also be a hassle just getting the supervisors to do their jobs, to come over and give you a keyflick while you stand around looking like idiots for 1-2 minutes and then they act like they're doing you a favor. Or on the rare occasion when the cashier or sup questions your pricing, doesn't know how to use the simple Amazon app, or doesn't understand their own store policies.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 02:48 AM   #9251
mysticwaterfall mysticwaterfall is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
mysticwaterfall's Avatar
 
Oct 2013
Right Behind You
263
1040
204
97
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenpai View Post
If anyone was looking for Arakawa Under the Bridge Seasons 1 & 2 Premium Editions, a Mercari seller is selling both sets together for only $84 HERE!
Dang, I missed it. 1st set is insane to find for a good price. Oh well.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
zenpai (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 04:50 AM   #9252
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
1
361
757
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
Oh and I didn't want to be dismissive of your main point. I do the same thing all the time too. But like you said their selection isn't very good anymore. So the stuff you often want to buy is online-only. It can also be a hassle just getting the supervisors to do their jobs, to come over and give you a keyflick while you stand around looking like idiots for 1-2 minutes and then they act like they're doing you a favor. Or on the rare occasion when the cashier or sup questions your pricing, doesn't know how to use the simple Amazon app, or doesn't understand their own store policies.
I show it to them myself with my phone by going through the process of opening up the internet, going to the page of the exact release I am buying and show them itís not a promotional price or some 3rd Party Seller. Then I tell them if you donít believe me then check for yourself. I donít really care if I have to wait a few minutes as long as I get my discounted price.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:02 AM   #9253
MOONPHASE MOONPHASE is online now
Blu-ray Count
 
MOONPHASE's Avatar
 
Jun 2007
California
1
361
757
19
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing371 View Post
How can they be competitive when they can't even compete? Amazon doesn't have to pay any taxes! They can afford to sell things for 20-30% cheaper. Rather, BB needs to sell things at a price 20-30% higher just to keep the lights on. I live near what used to be the BB with the best selection of anime and movies bar none at the Mall of America. Guess what, nobody shopped there! Tourists come and go, but the place was mostly dead and nobody was buying anything. They had ONE cashier lane open at all times during the last couple years it was open before they closed the store last August. Haven't you ever noticed that at some of the stores you shop at? Stores that used to have 4-5 checkout lanes at all times now have ONE cashier open.

People aren't shopping at big box brick&mortar retail anymore. There has been a large consumer shift towards going digital with their media, not replacing their phones or tablets as often, and going into stores just to window shop. Many folks buy their consumer electronics online. Everyone has multiple digital subscriptions now and for some people it's a laundry list. Cable television has been replaced and now people have Spotify, Netflix, HBO GO, ESPN+, HULU, podcasts, specialty sports news site memberships, irl loot boxes, Prime, satellite radio, digital newspaper, digital magazines, the list goes on and on. Things have changed man. It was very slow but now after ten years of gradual change the consumer landscape is very different from what it used to be.

Most of all,how in the world is Best Buy or anyone else supposed to be able to compete when Amazon doesn't have to pay any corporate taxes? The fix is in, my dude. These stores can't even compete anymore. Best Buy sells all sorts of video games and movies and hardly anyone shops there. Even people like you and me that complain about this type of stuff are guilty of it. Walk into the store, oh that's nice that's cool, walk out and then buy your stuff online somewhere cheaper or where they have better service. I mean come on, the vast majority of people here buy things from one particular retailer just so that they have the best chances of getting disc boxes in the best physical condition.

Everyone loves Best Buy. But very few people put their money where their mouth is. Even here, the physical disc media capital, many people avoid buying their blu-rays at Target and Walmart.
I could never rely on watching things digitally. Sure I have some digital movies and shows and have Netflix but relying on that stuff is something I will not do. Physical or bust. Like when Shōnen Jump in America went digital only I cancelled my subscription(though my Subscription period was ending anyways and was ready for a renewal but decided not to renew it).

I hardly ever walk out of a store empty handed except when I donít have enough to get what I want. But if I have money on me and see what I want, I buy.

Amazonís shipping is pretty iffy. Canít really expect it to be in good condition.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-23-2019), mikezilla2 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:17 AM   #9254
Nothing371 Nothing371 is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Nothing371's Avatar
 
Jul 2015
Minneapolis
164
488
3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I could never rely on watching things digitally. Sure I have some digital movies and shows and have Netflix but relying on that stuff is something I will not do. Physical or bust. Like when Shōnen Jump in America went digital only I cancelled my subscription(though my Subscription period was ending anyways and was ready for a renewal but decided not to renew it).

I hardly ever walk out of a store empty handed except when I donít have enough to get what I want. But if I have money on me and see what I want, I buy.

Amazonís shipping is pretty iffy. Canít really expect it to be in good condition.
The point is that even the fine folks here at the blu-ray.com don't buy their anime discs at B&M retail, and they are the primary target market. How could you ever expect that these stores would have a more focused strategy on anime disc media merchandising going forward?

The customers dictate the market. They've chosen to buy predominately from online webstores. Best Buy used to sell various expensive anime box sets 10 years ago. However, that retail strategy has proven to be infeasible for quite some time.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
mikezilla2 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 11:40 AM   #9255
neoz neoz is offline
Moderator
 
neoz's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
10
1
1591
7
82
Default

^^^

Based on the fact that they had to compete with Amazon. The whole reason most B&M places don't bother to stock movies anymore is because people weren't going in store. I still buy most if not all my non anime titles in store at Best Buy. In fact I just picked up all the most recent MCU steelbooks in store at BB. Yes window shopping did hurt a lot of these stores and not changing to the match the times (Kmart/Sears) but a lot of it is also because consumers didn't bother to shop in store. Now we all suffer because of it.

When my local B&M's did have anime I did buy it there. I actually bought a lot of stuff between my local WM's and BB's when they carried stock.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:02 PM   #9256
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
21
129
40
15
Default

I would buy from Best Buy more if they carried what I bought on release day. I'm not gonna hold off for even a month to wait for them to stock it, that's on the store and not me. I always buy their exclusive Steelbooks or timed exclusive releases but that's about it. My mail comes before most retail stores open for the day, so I purchase standard copies on Amazon.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
neoz (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 03:26 PM   #9257
mikezilla2 mikezilla2 is online now
Special Member
 
Feb 2011
20
1083
Default

anything within the UKs borders to Report ?

sounds like Targets in the US are better for video selection then those in AU =delisted
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:37 PM   #9258
different different is online now
Active Member
 
Jul 2017
28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
^^^

Based on the fact that they had to compete with Amazon. The whole reason most B&M places don't bother to stock movies anymore is because people weren't going in store. I still buy most if not all my non anime titles in store at Best Buy. In fact I just picked up all the most recent MCU steelbooks in store at BB. Yes window shopping did hurt a lot of these stores and not changing to the match the times (Kmart/Sears) but a lot of it is also because consumers didn't bother to shop in store. Now we all suffer because of it.

When my local B&M's did have anime I did buy it there. I actually bought a lot of stuff between my local WM's and BB's when they carried stock.
Personally I hate B&M stores, I'm fine with the convenience Amazon has brought me. I don't really like the idea that people should support local stores when they can cost 50% more, to me, that's like asking for hand outs. I worry about my own money, not Walmart's or Bestbuy's.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
zenpai (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 09:05 PM   #9259
neoz neoz is offline
Moderator
 
neoz's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
10
1
1591
7
82
Default

But Amazon just PM'd everyone anyway and tried to pass it off like they were they price leader. They still do that to this day.

Also I love B&M places. I liked being able to pick out my title and the slipcover not get destroyed like they always do with Amazon or any other online place (even RS does it sometimes)
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
El3mental (08-24-2019), InuYashaCrusade (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 10:34 PM   #9260
InuYashaCrusade InuYashaCrusade is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
InuYashaCrusade's Avatar
 
Jun 2013
21
129
40
15
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
But Amazon just PM'd everyone anyway and tried to pass it off like they were they price leader. They still do that to this day.

Also I love B&M places. I liked being able to pick out my title and the slipcover not get destroyed like they always do with Amazon or any other online place (even RS does it sometimes)
Picking out the condition of my items is my main reason for still supporting B&M. The experience has changed since the early 2000's and as a result changed what made it special to me. There was nothing like walking into a massive store like Media Play or Suncoast and being surrounded by what you loved. It was heaven for me as a kid. I still dream about these stores to this day, no joke. Browsing 1 or 2 aisles of media isn't the same as having an entire store dedicated to it. The experience isn't there anymore and it sucks because that's where the memories come from. It sounds silly but man what I wouldn't give to shop in those stores once again and get it all recorded on video.

I found a Suncoast location still open in Ohio between 2014 and 2015, my jaw dropped to the floor. It was like a time machine. Everything was exactly as it was over a decade ago, including those outrageous prices lol. I still have a picture of the outside and kept all of my plastic bags and receipts. Media Play was definitely my #1 while growing up. I only got to go there a few times per year because it was out of the way, whereas Suncoast and Sam Goody were in my local mall.

Growing up and not having anyone to talk to about my interests is another reason B&M was such a great experience at the time. On many occasions the cashiers would be into anime and talk with me about it. I specifically remember this one guy who worked at Borders and he had a bunch of Rurouni Kenshin shirts that he'd wear. We'd talk all of the time about Naruto or whatever else was on Toonami. You don't get an experience like that walking into Best Buy or Walmart.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (08-24-2019), El3mental (08-24-2019), mikezilla2 (08-23-2019), neoz (08-23-2019), zenpai (08-24-2019)
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 PM.