Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato  Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$41.25

Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (Blu-ray)
$28.49

Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$64.99

Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$34.99

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: S1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Yu Yu Hakusho: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$32.99

Cyborg 009 - The Cyborg Soldier: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Restaurant to Another World (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Lupin the 3rd: Goemon's Blood Spray (Blu-ray)
$16.24

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 04-09-2017, 11:51 PM   #21

May 2015
Pennsylvania, USA

Saw it last night. Loved it. I actually kept this movie a secret from myself after purchasing a ticket. Knew nothing about it aside from the one body-changing element. It was really a wonderfully made and well-crafted movie. Red string of fate was in full force toward the end.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:58 PM   #22

Mar 2013
Florida

Saw this last night in a theater. Loved it. I did my best to avoid spoilers/footage. Didn't even know the plot to it, until a review from NPR showed up on my Facebook timeline. As usual for Shinkai films, the animation is top notch and I loved the songs in it.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:06 AM   #23

Oct 2014

I saw it today. I loved it. I knew nothing about it either. Refused to read anything about it. Amazing film. I love Makoto Shinkai and he didnt let me down this time either. Although my boyfriend didnt like it as much as I did. He said it was too long. But I disagree.
Great film. Cannot wait for the bluray release
Old 04-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #24
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Box Office Mojo is reporting that Makoto Shinkai's your name. anime film earned an estimated US$627,208 on Friday, the film's first day in theaters in the United States and Canada. The film earned an average of US$2,148 per theater in 292 theaters. The film's per theater average for Friday is higher than any film in the top 12.

The film currently has a 97% rating on Rotten Tomatoes.

Funimation is hosting film screenings in both the original Japanese with English subtitles and an English dub.

Additionally, entertainment news website Variety is estimating that Ghost in the Shell will land in fifth place for the weekend and will earn US$7.1 million. The estimate is a 62% decline in earnings from the film's first weekend, where the film earned US$18,676,033 from March 31-April 2. Box Office Mojo reported the film earned an estimated US$2,125,000 on Friday, for a current domestic total of US$26,348,450.

Variety also estimates that the Power Rangers film will earn US$6.2 million over the weekend, ranking sixth. Box Office Mojo reported the film earned an estimated US$1,690,000 on Friday, for a current domestic total of US$70,586,242.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...friday/.114565

Quote:
Box Office Mojo estimated that Makoto Shinkai's your name. anime film earned US$1,600,000 in its debut weekend in the United States.

The film earned US$632,469 (an updated number from the previous report of US$627,208) on Friday, the film's first day in theaters in the United States and Canada. The film's per theater average for Friday was higher than any film in the top 12.

Box Office Mojo estimated the film earned US$575,541 on Saturday, and US$391,990 on Sunday. The film earned an average of US$5,281 per theater in 303 theaters in its opening weekend, and ranked at #13 for the weekend.

Funimation is hosting film screenings in both the original Japanese with English subtitles and an English dub.

Box Office Mojo estimated the film's current worldwide total at US$330,293,624.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...eekend/.114590

Last edited by MOONPHASE; 04-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 06:23 PM   #25
Special Member

Apr 2010

Went and saw it twice over the weekend, and I loved the connection to
[Show spoiler]Garden of Words
!
Old 04-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #26

Nov 2013
Los Angeles, CA

Saw this on Sat night. Amazing movie, really loved it.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:12 AM   #27

Mar 2010

I must say that I do love this movie. I watched it in Shinjuku in February (bought both program books and a couple of notebooks) and three times on Air Canada flights. Just watched the Japanese subtitled version locally yesterday although the theater only had about thirty people. You could tell who were Japanese in the audience by their laughter to certain parts of the movie, especially the text.

According to the Japanese website site, most theaters are ending their run this weekend, so an official announcement for the BD may come soon. I'm guessing HMV Lawson (one of the production sponsors) may have a nice exclusive.
Old 04-12-2017, 12:59 AM   #28
Power Member

Sep 2012

Saw it and liked it OK. That said, this won't change the accusations that Shinkai really only has 1 story in him that he tells over and over again in a different way. However, since this is the only Shinkai I can say that I actually like, one could argue his previous works were simply him making trial runs for this, probably his best work. I could have did without the cheesy j-pop. The softening of anime's image over the past 2 decades continues.

But I'm glad this is doing well and I hope word of mouth catches on.

Can't wait until the inevitable Hollywood remake starring Scarlett Johansson

Last edited by llj; 04-12-2017 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:30 AM   #29
Power Member

Dec 2009
United States

"The softening of anime's image over the past 2 decades continues."

What do you mean?
Old 04-12-2017, 01:54 AM   #30
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGW View Post
"The softening of anime's image over the past 2 decades continues."

What do you mean?
More anime nowadays are following the Ghibli model of being more general audience-friendly. With Mamoru Hosoda and now Makoto Shinkai being the anime flagbearers of the post-Ghibli era, there seems to be trend towards trying to continue to go a more general audience route with anime films. Anime films--and the anime industry in general--is a lot less violent, sexual, and dark now than it used to be in the 80s and 90s. Depending on your tastes, maybe you might consider this a good thing.

Still, I felt one of the biggest reasons Satoshi Kon's death was so tragic was that he was one of the few *active* anime directors who was still willing to push the envelope. So far, there doesn't seem to be anyone attempting to fill that void. Or more specifically, there don't seem to be many studios willing to fund non-franchise-related (Eva, Madoka, etc) "darker" anime films. Hell, speaking of that--even the current Eva films are a lot more sunny than the original stuff.

I guess all this doesn't have anything to do with Your Name specifically, but as I was listening to the 4th j-pop song running over a "cute" or "sappy" scene in Your Name, and thinking of this kind of thing becoming a trend in many anime of the past 10 years in general, I started wondering if cuteness and sentimentalism isn't becoming the new norm in anime films. I'm not saying these things are a bad thing if it's done right--and Your Name does them well--I just wonder if violent, unsentimental action-oriented anime films aren't a dying breed.

Last edited by llj; 04-12-2017 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #31
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

I doesn't bother me if it's too childish or too adult. If the movie is good, who cares?
Thanks given by:
Ray O. Blu (04-21-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 AM   #32
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
I doesn't bother me if it's too childish or too adult. If the movie is good, who cares?
That would be how most people would answer, I agree. Although I wouldn't quite put it in those terms. Sex and violence isn't necessarily "adult", nor would a movie about a bunch of kids playing with a creature named Totoro be "childish" either. Sometimes a kiddie movie can be more mature than a sex and violence. Ninja Scroll, for example, certainly isn't what I'd consider to be "mature" (that doesn't mean I don't like its salacious pleasures though).

However, variety if the spice of life. Put it this way: if you ate your favorite food every day, and it was cooked well every day, sure you'd be happy for a while. But eventually, you'd still get tired of it. You'd want to eat something else for a change.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, this conversation probably belongs in a different thread about anime in general. I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on Your Name for being what it is, because it does what it does very well and I enjoyed it. Even though I'm developing an itch for a type of anime that increasingly doesn't exist anymore, it doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment of Your Name.

Last edited by llj; 04-12-2017 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:19 AM   #33
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2007
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
That would be how most people would answer, I agree. Although I wouldn't quite put it in those terms. Sex and violence isn't necessarily "adult", nor would a movie about a bunch of kids playing with a creature named Totoro be "childish" either. Sometimes a kiddie movie can be more mature than a sex and violence. Ninja Scroll, for example, certainly isn't what I'd consider to be "mature" (that doesn't mean I don't like its salacious pleasures though).

However, variety if the spice of life. Put it this way: if you ate your favorite food every day, and it was cooked well every day, sure you'd be happy for a while. But eventually, you'd still get tired of it.

Or maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, this conversation probably belongs in a different thread about anime in general. I don't want to sound like I'm shitting on Your Name for being what it is, because it does what it does very well and I enjoyed it. Even though I'm developing an itch for a type of anime that increasingly doesn't exist anymore, it doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment of Your Name.
Even if you ignore my 1st sentence, the other one was pretty much my main point.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:34 AM   #34
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOONPHASE View Post
Even if you ignore my 1st sentence, the other one was pretty much my main point.
My post was mostly in answer to your second sentence actually. The food analogy being what I was getting at--that even if "it's good, so who cares", it CAN still be a problem if you're getting the "same good" all the time.

Sometimes even "bad-different" is a nice change of pace from "good-same."

Again, that's just me. I totally get your stance though. Most people would agree with you rather than me, too. It's just more a personal thing I wanted to get off my chest.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:39 AM   #35
Expert Member

Nov 2016

Saw your name. this past weekend and thought it was one of the most powerful movie experiences I've had in awhile. What started as something merely funny and cute had me drying my eyes at the end. I thought I had figured out the mystery of the body swapping early on, but there were twists that completely threw my guesses off.

I did think that they could've pushed the body discovery jokes a little bit further, but perhaps going too far into adult territory might've ruined the tone of the film.

Shame it missed an Oscar nom this past year, and it seems too early to be a contender for 2018 awards.

Need this on blu-ray (and no DVD-only or BD-R b.s.). The animation is stunning!
Thanks given by:
llj (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 AM   #36
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroyear2 View Post

I did think that they could've pushed the body discovery jokes a little bit further, but perhaps going too far into adult territory might've ruined the tone of the film.
I'm almost sure there's a hentai (or two) out there that probably did this with a body switching concept...

I agree with you about the various turns in the plot; really did not see the big "twist" coming. Very nice play there by Shinkai.

I wouldn't worry about bd-r. Funimation will definitely release this on BD+DVD, and they don't do bd-r. Their encodes, though...
Thanks given by:
acroyear2 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:47 AM   #37
Expert Member

Nov 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by llj View Post
I guess all this doesn't have anything to do with Your Name specifically, but as I was listening to the 4th j-pop song running over a "cute" or "sappy" scene in Your Name, and thinking of this kind of thing becoming a trend in many anime of the past 10 years in general, I started wondering if cuteness and sentimentalism isn't becoming the new norm in anime films. I'm not saying these things are a bad thing if it's done right--and Your Name does them well--I just wonder if violent, unsentimental action-oriented anime films aren't a dying breed.
I think the pendulum will swing the other way again someday. I haven't seen enough of the recent crop of anime films over the past decade or so to pick-up on any trends in family-friendly fare, so any tropes are still new to me. Something will come along to shake things up. It'll need to have a story and style good enough that can't be ignored by critics and audiences alike.
Thanks given by:
llj (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 AM   #38
Power Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroyear2 View Post
I think the pendulum will swing the other way again someday. I haven't seen enough of the recent crop of anime films over the past decade or so to pick-up on any trends in family-friendly fare, so any tropes are still new to me. Something will come along to shake things up. It'll need to have a story and style good enough that can't be ignored by critics and audiences alike.
Yeah, these things can be cyclical. It feels like it's been a while, though. Non-Ghibli wise, Mamoru Hosoda has been the most active anime filmmaker of the past few years--his stuff is very general audience friendly. Then you have stuff like Miss Hokusai, which has some sexual themes but is still mostly fairly tame and general audience friendly. I think Redline would be the one that sticks out to me as being more of a 90s testosterone throwback of the past 10 or so years.
Thanks given by:
acroyear2 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2013
ME

Saw it dubbed at the Regal with a friend (who dragged me to it) who's been dying to see it for quite some time. Man, that was one hell of a movie. A complete feast for the eyes, from beginning to end, with an interesting story and sincerity to boot. It plays out like optimistic love child of Freaky Friday,
[Show spoiler]Melancholia, and The Butterfly Effect
but with an identity all its own.

If you can find a theater playing it, don't hesitate.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

Good to see all the good reviews on here. Me and the misses will be catching the 7:30 pm showing tomorrow, then headed to our favorite sushi joint afterwards.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime