Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Millennium Actress (Blu-ray)
$19.96
14 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Super: Part 9 (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ayakashi: Samurai Horror Tales (Blu-ray)
$28.49

Star Blazers 2202: Space Battleship Yamato – Part Two (Blu-ray)
$45.69

My Hero Academia: Season Three Part Two (Blu-ray)
$41.25

Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$34.99

My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU: S1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Goblin Slayer: Season One (Blu-ray)
$64.99

Cyborg 009 - The Cyborg Soldier: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Harukana Receive: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.69

Senran Kagura Shinovi Master: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.99

Drifters: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$23.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 07-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #221
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikezilla3k View Post
The rerelease of movies 1-3 is on a single disc. The Diamond and Pearl re-release is on two discs.
Somebody who owns D&P and can confirm it's 2 discs should update the listing here. It says it's 4 discs.

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pokem...lu-ray/232670/

I'm considering trying to find OG and D&P cheap on ebay for the packaging and then getting new cases with enough trays to hold my original individual movie discs lol I wish we'd have gotten the 1-3 shorts here in the US. I liked them more than the whole of movie 3. It was weird seeing Mewtwo Strikes Back without also seeing Pikachu's Vacation before it.
Thanks given by:
Doomsday Clock (08-04-2019), sagadego (07-27-2019)
Old 07-27-2019, 11:42 PM   #222
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

No idea how to edit a listing but I can confirm that it is 2 discs, I've owned it since release a few months ago.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (07-28-2019)
Old 07-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #223

Jun 2019

i noticed that the 5.1 mix arceus movie is a bit softer compared to the other 3 D/P pokemon movies blu rays 2 disc set
Old 07-28-2019, 02:34 AM   #224
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagadego View Post
i noticed that the 5.1 mix arceus movie is a bit softer compared to the other 3 D/P pokemon movies blu rays 2 disc set
To be honest, I have barely touched any of the recent Pokemon releases. I watched the first disc of Ultra Adventures in May and that's it. Battle Frontier is still sealed and that's probably how DP will stay too, once it comes out in a few weeks. I'm so far behind on these Pokemon releases. I haven't watched any episodes since Advanced Challenge in December 2017. Some day I'll do some serious catching up but I'm trying not to skip seasons.

I opened my DP movie collection Blu-ray but never got around to watching any, despite really wanting to watch Darkrai again.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:28 PM   #225

May 2019

I noticed Diamond and Pearl is now out in Targets by me, but all of them seem to have a disc loose inside. Finally I found one that wasn’t like that, but apparently it’s Disc 7 - the last one in the back - that’s coming loose because even though it wasn’t flying, it still came out and sure enough was scratched. They had two that seemed okay but I got the second one and it too is loose and scratched.

Is anyone else having this problem? This packaging is atrociously cheap.

EDIT - Just exchanged again for one that finally doesn’t have a loose Disc 7 but still somehow it has a giant scratch on it. I guess there’s no winning with these. Thanks, Viz. First and last time I’ll try buying Pokémon on DVD I guess.

Last edited by Akira Takamedo; 08-03-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Thanks given by:
InuYashaCrusade (08-03-2019)
Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #226
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

I'll stop at Target after work and see if they have any copies in store. I'll post here after I get home.
Old 08-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #227

May 2019

I’m probably just going to cut my losses and sell or trade in what I have, can’t return opened material and the same Target also had some copies of Advanced and it seems to have the same problem. Pokémon will probably have to be a digital download thing for me since they can’t package their discs right. Maybe one day they’ll continue their Blu-rays.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:51 PM   #228
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira Takamedo View Post
I’m probably just going to cut my losses and sell or trade in what I have, can’t return opened material and the same Target also had some copies of Advanced and it seems to have the same problem. Pokémon will probably have to be a digital download thing for me since they can’t package their discs right. Maybe one day they’ll continue their Blu-rays.
I just got home from Target and they had 3 copies in stock, all with loose discs inside. This is definitely some kind of a manufacturing error and not Target being rough with the boxes before unpacking. Two of the cases had broken plastic bits rattling inside and one didn't have that, the one I went with. The loose disc had a few scuffs on it but they all went away after being carefully cleaned with a microfiber cloth, no big deal there. I kept my receipt in case they were deep scratches but the disc looks like new after I cleaned it up.

I like how border on the slipcover and paper sleeve have this metallic look to them. The discs are nice too.

Thanks for the tip that Target locations are getting this season early, Akira Takamedo. I wouldn't have noticed until Endgame's release next week. I'm glad to have it on the initial release date, rather than the pushed back date that Amazon is using.
Old 08-04-2019, 12:40 AM   #229

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by InuYashaCrusade View Post
I just got home from Target and they had 3 copies in stock, all with loose discs inside. This is definitely some kind of a manufacturing error and not Target being rough with the boxes before unpacking. Two of the cases had broken plastic bits rattling inside and one didn't have that, the one I went with. The loose disc had a few scuffs on it but they all went away after being carefully cleaned with a microfiber cloth, no big deal there. I kept my receipt in case they were deep scratches but the disc looks like new after I cleaned it up.

I like how border on the slipcover and paper sleeve have this metallic look to them. The discs are nice too.

Thanks for the tip that Target locations are getting this season early, Akira Takamedo. I wouldn't have noticed until Endgame's release next week. I'm glad to have it on the initial release date, rather than the pushed back date that Amazon is using.
I gave it a shot with the cloth, unfortunately they’re definitely scratches. When I got the unicorn that didn’t have a loose Disc 7 but it was still scratched, I realized I’m done buying in to Pokémon Viz DVD releases after one purchase, haha. I think for this one I’m going to go the download route, maybe even burn it on to some Blu-rays. It won’t be HD but it’ll certainly give me a use for all those blank cases I have around the house.

It’s too bad because despite their shortcomings (missing Indigo and Orange Island episodes, non-HD for D/P, B/W, etc.) I was ready to buy them all despite how much there was. Oh well, Viz needs to get their shit together with this lousy packaging. Put it out on Blu-ray even if it’s just 480 and I’ll consider it again.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:46 AM   #230
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Master Quest is on sale at Best Buy for $11.99 in-store

Crazy cheap
Old 08-07-2019, 03:11 AM   #231

May 2019

I tried one more exchange because I felt one at another store that wasn’t loose. Well, Disc 7 was not loose but it still came heavily scratched. That’s kind of the last straw. This makes me not want to support any Viz release whatsoever, I’m pissed. I immediately went out and bought a Blu-ray writer and some BD-Rs, I’m going to be making my own now.

Also left a review on Amazon warning everyone about this cheap packaging. One or two offs I get, but the same disc scratched every single time no matter what is something I’ve never seen before.
Old 08-09-2019, 02:48 AM   #232

Jul 2014

It looks like there won’t be a steelbook version of the black/white movies. It’s a shame since I have the steelbooks for the other movie collections. Wish they’d stick with them. Maybe I’ll sell them and get the regular Blu-rays on the cheap.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 AM   #233
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Helmet View Post
It looks like there won’t be a steelbook version of the black/white movies. It’s a shame since I have the steelbooks for the other movie collections. Wish they’d stick with them. Maybe I’ll sell them and get the regular Blu-rays on the cheap.
That's what I did with my Pokemon Steelbooks. I saw the first three movie Blu-ray collection at Best Buy on Tuesday for $15. Think I paid $20 for it a few months ago, so that's a better deal.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:36 PM   #234

Mar 2019

Is there a 16:9-HD-Release of the 2nd Pokemon Movie (Lugia aka Power of One)?

The 1.85:1 Blu-ray is slightly cropped compared to the old DVDs.
Old 08-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #235
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThomas View Post
Is there a 16:9-HD-Release of the 2nd Pokemon Movie (Lugia aka Power of One)?

The 1.85:1 Blu-ray is slightly cropped compared to the old DVDs.
The only way 2000 has been released is in the 3 pack style. I don't think the video quality has changed through the re-releases.
Thanks given by:
sagadego (08-13-2019)
Old 08-18-2019, 07:09 PM   #236

Jan 2015

Ended up buying the DP set at Target. The case sounds sturdy, and in my experience, scratched discs play fine, so hopefully this copy will work out.

Update: My seventh disc was secure and worked fine. I'm sorry to hear about the other forum members having issues with the set, but hopefully, my experience will carry over to more buyers.

Last edited by akaun6899; 08-18-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2019, 08:23 PM   #237
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013

I received my copy of the Black & White 4 Movie Collection from Amazon today. This is the first Amazon order I've ever gotten before release, pretty cool.
Old Today, 03:32 AM   #238
Special Member

Feb 2017
Texas

I wish they would release Origins and Generations already, :/
Old Today, 04:01 AM   #239

Feb 2016

So as a kid, I grew with Pokémon only through the first 3 films and the VHS tape Psyhic Surprise with only a few episodes on it. With the semi-recent release of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu I was interested in watching the original series and collecting the show on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Now I'm aware there are different continuities of the franchise so if I was only interested in collecting seasons and films from the original continuity (where the trio was Ash, Misty, and Brock), which releases do you think I should pick up?
Old Today, 01:12 PM   #240

Nov 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by samadams12pack View Post
So as a kid, I grew with Pokémon only through the first 3 films and the VHS tape Psyhic Surprise with only a few episodes on it. With the semi-recent release of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu I was interested in watching the original series and collecting the show on DVD and/or Blu-ray. Now I'm aware there are different continuities of the franchise so if I was only interested in collecting seasons and films from the original continuity (where the trio was Ash, Misty, and Brock), which releases do you think I should pick up?
Alright, here are my suggestions:

Kanto
Season 1 (Indigo League):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Seaso.../dp/B00M9W8HRA

- As you are about to see, I am recommending the Season re-releases that Viz Media began doing back in 2014. These are less expensive and look better alongside one another on the shelf.

- One episode, Holiday Hi-Jynx, was removed because of Jynx's controversial design. If you want the episode badly enough, I'd recommend buying this older volume set disc and swapping with disc 8 of your Season 1 re-release:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Ind...D/332048654826

Movie 1 (Mewtwo Strikes Back):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-First.../dp/6305756430

- Contrary to the Seasons, I recommend buying the original DVD releases for the first three movies. They are in fullscreen instead of proper widescreen, but these DVDs have the Pikachu shorts and additional special features that Viz Media mysteriously removed for the re-release.

Orange Islands

Season 2 (Orange Islands):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adven.../dp/B00SJFV6NI

- Like Season 1, Jynx was not allowed to be featured, causing two more episodes to be removed. Stage Fight and The Mandarin Island Miss Match. If you want the episodes badly enough, I'd recommend buying the older release of this season and swapping Disc 1 and Disc 2 with it:

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Adven.../dp/B0014Z4OOS

Movie 2 (Power of One):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Movie.../dp/B00003CXLM

- Like Movie 1, this DVD has the Pikachu short and additional special features that Viz Media mysteriously removed for the re-release.

Johto

Season 3 (Johto Journeys):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Johto.../dp/B012YPV0YS

- One episode, The Whistle Stop, was edited in the re-release because of a backwards message inserted into one of the scenes. It's trivial, but if you want it, you can pick up this DVD and keep it on the side since it can't be swapped into the re-release properly since it has fewer episodes than normal:

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Johto.../dp/B00005B20B

Movie 3 (Spell of the Unown):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-3-Mov.../dp/B00005LKI1

- Like Movie 1 and 2, this DVD has the Pikachu short and additional special features that Viz Media mysteriously removed for the re-release.

Season 4 (Johto League Champions):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Johto.../dp/B01B80LOA0

Special (Mewtwo Returns):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Mewtw.../dp/B00005OW0I

- This is a special that seems to be meant for viewing between Movie 3 and 4 and set in Season 4 because the DVD menu uses the Season 4 opening song. This is optional and not mandatory.

Movie 4 (4Ever):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-4Ever.../dp/B00007KK1E

Season 5 (Master Quest):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Maste.../dp/B01J8WU9HO

Movie 5 (Heroes):

https://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Heroe.../dp/B0000BWVAB

So that's everything that includes Misty and Brock. This is how I have my collection structured and what I consider the best way to own it. You should know that the Season re-releases originally came out with slipcovers. Ordering through Amazon doesn't guarantee each Season will have a slipcover, so if that is important to you, I recommend checking eBay as slipcovers aren't difficult to find.

Season 1 did get a Blu-ray release from Viz Media, but it only covers the first 52 episodes of Indigo League and there doesn't appear to be any signs of the final episodes being released this way anytime soon. Movies 1-3 are on Blu-ray in proper widescreen, but are missing Pikachu shorts and other special features. Movies 4 and 5 also got a Blu-ray release alongside 6 and 7 but are all on a single disc and also have it's Pikachu shorts and special features removed.

Hope this helps!
Thanks given by:
clarmanks (Today), InuYashaCrusade (Today), MattQuack (Today)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime