Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Legend (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Children of the Corn 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
11 hrs ago
Giallo Essentials (Blu-ray)
$49.99
6 hrs ago
Street Fighter (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.54

Mill of the Stone Women (Blu-ray)
$29.99
6 hrs ago
Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Sailor Suit and Machine Gun (Blu-ray)
$19.99
2 hrs ago
The Prestige 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
3 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.51
1 day ago
He Came from the Swamp: The William Grefé Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
11 hrs ago
Underworld: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 02-18-2015, 09:31 PM   #421
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Picked up the pre-amp and its at my place warming up. I'll set it up on Saturday and get back to you guys!
Old 02-21-2015, 10:51 PM   #422
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

I recabled/reconnected the repaired 5507 back into the rack and I've been putting it through its paces. So far, after a couple of hours of testing.........ITS WORKING GREAT!

Whatever thy did to repair it, so far that crackling noise on digital inputs is no more. Not a peep on any HDMI, network/ethernet, USB or digital coax connection. It sounds great and I'm so happy to have it back.

3rd shelf from the top of the rack!

image.jpg

I can't thank Onkyo enough for fixing my long out of warranty baby for free! They sent me a box with packing materials to include a roll of packing tape and prepaid shipping label.

They had it fixed I side of one day of receiving it (so they already knew what was wrong with it and we're ready for it) and they shipped it back to me the very next day. I had it in my possession in under 10 days from when I shipped it to them!

Say what you want, but, I call that excellent customer service, YET AGAIN!

I'll keep you guys posted on how the unit holds up!
Old 08-19-2015, 12:24 AM   #423

Aug 2015
Default HDMI Audio Question?

I have a PR-SC5507. Can anyone here tell me how to get an audio signal along with the video out of the HDMI SUB output. I am getting the video fine but I need the audio too.

I am sending HDMI video via the Monitor Out jack to a projector and don't need audio on that cable. I am sending an HDMI signal via the HDMI SUB output to a TV set that needs the audio too.

Also, I bought my 5507 in 2009 and have not updated it's software, is there any compelling reason to update it now?

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:40 AM   #424

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme View Post
I have a PR-SC5507. Can anyone here tell me how to get an audio signal along with the video out of the HDMI SUB output. I am getting the video fine but I need the audio too.

I am sending HDMI video via the Monitor Out jack to a projector and don't need audio on that cable. I am sending an HDMI signal via the HDMI SUB output to a TV set that needs the audio too.

Also, I bought my 5507 in 2009 and have not updated it's software, is there any compelling reason to update it now?

Thanks for any input.
I did some more digging and found that when I swapped the Monitor out cable with the HDMI SUB out the audio followed and my TV still does not process the audio. I have checked the TV menu audio settings and all seems correct there. Have to keep digging. The problem seems to be with the T V?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:04 AM   #425
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I did some more digging and found that when I swapped the Monitor out cable with the HDMI SUB out the audio followed and my TV still does not process the audio. I have checked the TV menu audio settings and all seems correct there. Have to keep digging. The problem seems to be with the T V?

Thanks.
welcome to the forum buddy! unfortunately, I have never used that connection so, I really don't have answers for you.

I'm trying to understand what you said, did you swap cables? you used the term "monitor out" and that refers to "composite, component or s-video" did you perhaps mean "main output" which would be an hdmi cable? were you saying you had a bad cable?
Old 08-19-2015, 03:06 AM   #426
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:

Thanks for any input.
if you find there is some functionality that is not working as it's supposed to then perhaps yes. you can also go through the various firmware updates to see what they correct or add new to the pre-amps feature set. you can make the determination if you want to or not. I recommend to update it to the latest firmware, but, that's just me. good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:24 AM   #427

Aug 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarrdadd View Post
if you find there is some functionality that is not working as it's supposed to then perhaps yes. you can also go through the various firmware updates to see what they correct or add new to the pre-amps feature set. you can make the determination if you want to or not. I recommend to update it to the latest firmware, but, that's just me. good luck and keep us posted.
Thanks for the input.

I think I have traced the problem down to the TV HDMI audio section. The TV speakers are not emitting any noise at all even at max volume setting there is no static, the speakers are not muted and are turned on in the TV setup menu.

BTW how can I be sure that the 5507 HDMI Main Out jack is outputting an HDMI audio PCM signal to my TV? I'm getting the 1080 video from the same HDMI cable from the 5507 on the TV just fine.

My other display device is a JVC projector lighting a 120" Stewart Studio Tec 130 screen with beautiful 1080p signals from an Oppo BD player, PS3 and DirecTV.

For audio there is two big Emotiva 5 channel amps using 9 channels including front heights with Atlantic Technology speakers all around.

I don't seem to have any problems at all with my 5507, it hasn't missed a lick or had a burp in the last 5-6 years. I have a fairly complex media room setup and everything else is working just fine with the 5507 being the center of it all. I'm used to the relay clicks. Everything is controlled by a Harmony RF remote.

The only problem I have now is with the old Panasonic plasma TV HDMI audio in another room being fed 5507 HDMI from an adjoining room via a good quality 12' HDMI cable.

Last edited by itsme; 08-19-2015 at 04:45 AM.
Old 08-19-2015, 03:37 AM   #428
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I think I have traced the problem down to the TV HDMI audio section.

BTW how can I be sure that the 5507 HDMI Main Out jack is outputting an audio PCM signal to my TV?

Thanks for the input!
if your monitor setting is to "both" under monitor out for HDMI then yes, they should both be outputting the same video and audio. having said that, the Main has priority over Sub for video outputs. that's more to do with what the devices connected to the outputs support video/audio wise.

page 29 in the manual (the one I found online) I know it's the UK manual, but, I believe this function is the same.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:09 AM   #429
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Thanks for the input.

I think I have traced the problem down to the TV HDMI audio section. The TV speakers are not emitting any noise at all even at max volume setting there is no static, the speakers are not muted and are turned on in the TV setup menu.

BTW how can I be sure that the 5507 HDMI Main Out jack is outputting an HDMI audio PCM signal to my TV? I'm getting the 1080 video from the same HDMI cable from the 5507 on the TV just fine.

My other display device is a JVC projector lighting a 120" Stewart Studio Tec 130 screen with beautiful 1080p signals from an Oppo BD player, PS3 and DirecTV.

For audio there is two big Emotiva 5 channel amps using 9 channels including front heights with Atlantic Technology speakers all around.

I don't seem to have any problems at all with my 5507, it hasn't missed a lick or had a burp in the last 5-6 years. I have a fairly complex media room setup and everything else is working just fine with the 5507 being the center of it all. I'm used to the relay clicks. Everything is controlled by a Harmony RF remote.

The only problem I have now is with the old Panasonic plasma TV HDMI audio in another room being fed 5507 HDMI from an adjoining room via a good quality 12' cable.
maybe you might want to consider using this type of cable from monoprice.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:42 AM   #430

Aug 2015

Quote:
The link doesn't work for me?

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:03 PM   #431

Aug 2015

After more digging I've determined that my problem is with the 5507 HDMI audio signal coming from the "Monitor Out-Both Main" outputs.

My signal source is a DirecTv HD DVR box feeding the 5507 Cable/Sat input. From there the HDMI video/ audio is sent by the 5507 to:

1. My projector & media room audio. Every thing is working fine here.

2. My Panasonic plasma TV. Getting good video here but no audio from the 5507.

If I swap the Monitor Out HDMI cables the audio follows the swap just fine.

If I connect the TV directly to the DirecTv box HDMI video & audio is perfect.

The problem seems to be that the TV does not like the HDMI audio signal coming from the 5507.

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:22 PM   #432
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
Quote:
The link doesn't work for me?

Thanks.
sorry, try this one.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:27 PM   #433
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
After more digging I've determined that my problem is with the 5507 HDMI audio signal coming from the "Monitor Out-Both Main" outputs.

My signal source is a DirecTv HD DVR box feeding the 5507 Cable/Sat input. From there the HDMI video/ audio is sent by the 5507 to:

1. My projector & media room audio. Every thing is working fine here.

2. My Panasonic plasma TV. Getting good video here but no audio from the 5507.

If I swap the Monitor Out HDMI cables the audio follows the swap just fine.

If I connect the TV directly to the DirecTv box HDMI video & audio is perfect.

The problem seems to be that the TV does not like the HDMI audio signal coming from the 5507.

Thanks for any assistance.
not sure what is being sent to your tv from the direct tv box. check the audio output, see if it's PCM or AC3/Dolby Digital. if you are watching movies say from your oppo and outputting lossless DTS-HD-MA, to the tv, it might not know what that is as in not being able to handle or decode it so you would get no audio or noise. also with some handshaking it may know your tv can't handle it and is sending nothing to it.

also, at the 5507, have you switched outputs? switch the output that's going to the projector with the output that's going to the tv and if so, are you still getting no sound with the tv?
Old 08-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #434

Aug 2015

Quote:
not sure what is being sent to your tv from the direct tv box. check the audio output, see if it's PCM or AC3/Dolby Digital. if you are watching movies say from your oppo and outputting lossless DTS-HD-MA, to the tv, it might not know what that is as in not being able to handle or decode it so you would get no audio or noise. also with some handshaking it may know your tv can't handle it and is sending nothing to it.

also, at the 5507, have you switched outputs? switch the output that's going to the projector with the output that's going to the tv and if so, are you still getting no sound with the tv?
From what I read the DirecTv box will send either a Dolby Digital or PCM audio signal. I have tried both selections from the DirecTv box menu without results.

The TV will display the Oppo opening logo page but no video/audio from a movie, same thing with the PS3. When I start a movie in either unit the TV screen goes blank with no sound.

I have switched the 5507 outputs, the audio is coming from both outputs but not to the TV.

Last edited by itsme; 08-19-2015 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #435
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
I don't know how to determine what kind of audio output comes from the DirecTv box, checking internet for that next.

The TV will display the Oppo opening logo page but no video/audio from a movie, same thing with the PS3. When I start a movie in either unit the TV screen goes blank with no sound.

I have switched the 5507 outputs, the audio is coming from both outputs but not to the TV.
if the tv is not wall mounted and if you have a standard 6' hdmi cable (that you know works), move the tv into the room where the 5507 is and connect it up that way and see if you get the same results. we are trying to eliminate cable length as an issue.

to find what your direct tv audio is set to you have to go into the setup menu of the set top box and look under audio. that you do through the direct tv box setup menu.

I will also tell you this about my 5507 and this might be your issue. I cannot connect my cable HD-DVR directly to my 5507. there is some kind of handshaking issue with it and I get nothing but static and if I leave it long enough, I just get a blu screen. it's because of the newer technology within the cable box that the old pre-amp can't support and I'm sure due to hdcp, it simply says, "I'm not taking the chance that this is some kind of illegal hook-up so I'm not accepting any audio or video from you"

what I did was connect my hdmi output from my hd-dvr cable box direct into the tv for video and since I don't listen to things with my tv, I have the audio connected to the 5507 via digital coax so I get 5.1 and everything else audio wise.

not saying that this is your issue, but, it's the only input device issue I've had with the 5507. I have a ps3, xbox 360, oppo 105D, hd-dvd player, appletv and htpc all connected directly to it via hdmi with no problems, only the cable box wouldn't work.

it is old by hdmi and pre-amp standards, so, there will be some issues with newer tech either input devices or TV's.

if you are able to move the tv like I mentioned and use a different hdmi cable to either hdmi output and it works, then you should at least give the cable of monoprice a try (you can always send it back) since it's designed for long runs.

keep me posted buddy.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:44 PM   #436
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

Quote:
From what I read the DirecTv box will send either a Dolby Digital or PCM audio signal. I have tried both selections from the DirecTv box menu without results.

also, have you tried switching the inputs that the ps3 & oppo are connected to on the 5507 just to make sure it's not an issue with the particular inputs they are connected in?

also, is this a new tv you got? if so, did it work ok with your old display or did you not have those 2 devices in question with the old display? or did you just recently decide to try to use the hdmi sup output with this display and found it didn't work?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #437

Aug 2015

Quote:
also, have you tried switching the inputs that the ps3 & oppo are connected to on the 5507 just to make sure it's not an issue with the particular inputs they are connected in?

also, is this a new tv you got? if so, did it work ok with your old display or did you not have those 2 devices in question with the old display? or did you just recently decide to try to use the hdmi sup output with this display and found it didn't work?
It's a 10 year old Panasonic TV. Just checked a 10' HDMI video/audio cable from DirecTV HD box to TV and it works fine. Audio problem comes from connecting TV on the same cable to 5507. Does the fact that another 10' HDMI cable return to the TV makes a 20' HDMI loop?

TV has HDMI audio IN jacks that look like RCA's that are labeled HDMI Audio In and an optical jack, the DirecTv box has audio out coax & optical jacks. I wonder if I can somehow use these jacks for the audio portion of the HDMI signals? The TV is located on the other side of a wall above a fireplace from the 5507, about a 10-12' cable run.

I have run through all the 5507 Monitor Out sound formats and don't see a PCM flag on any of them and I did try a Dolby D setting. Keep in mind that the DirecTV HDMI audio/video output to the 5507 is otherwise working fine with my projector and 5507 audio setup.

Seems to me now that the 5507 is sending an HDMI audio signal to the TV that it doesn't like but the 5507 likes it for it's own sound processing just fine.

Thanks again.

Last edited by itsme; 08-19-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2021, 10:01 PM   #438

Sep 2021
Thumbs up

Hi, I know this is an old thread but it seems like all the knowledge is here!

I'm thinking about buying this unit 2nd hand.

Do yiu think this is a good idea or are they "worn out" after 12 years? I read you had your unit repaired?

I don't really need a lot of functions, I use my smart tv as the knlh source to stream everything and use my mini dsp for crossover and dsp.

I however did not find any info on 4k. I have a 70" 4k philips One tv and wonder if I will have degredation in the quality when I loop through the Onkyo? Is it 4k compatible?

Not sure however if netflix has any 4k to worry about...

Thanks!
Old 10-14-2021, 12:24 AM   #439
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2008
Virginia

not sure what kind of setup you have audio wise, but, you won't be able to get ATMOS or DTS:X with this unit; it's pretty old.

the units, some of them, were prone to HDMI issues hence the HDMI board replacement and it doesn't always hold. Onkyo had a systemic issue with HDMI boards back then affecting many models.

i'd recommend against getting this unit for a variety of reasons. i also suspect you will run into HDCP issues, keep in mind this unit is HDMI 1.4

i'd recommend getting a modern receiver or a modern pre-amp so you can take full advantage of 4K/HDR/DV and ATMOS/DTS:X should you either have them now or want them in the near future.

best of luck.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems