Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Giallo Essentials (Blu-ray)
$49.99
7 hrs ago
Legend (Blu-ray)
$24.99
19 hrs ago
Children of the Corn 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
13 hrs ago
Mill of the Stone Women (Blu-ray)
$29.99
7 hrs ago
Venom: Let There Be Carnage 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.54

Street Fighter (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Dune 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Superman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$49.96
1 day ago
Sailor Suit and Machine Gun (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.51
1 day ago
Underworld: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$59.99

He Came from the Swamp: The William Grefé Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-12-2021, 11:17 PM   #161

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlx302 View Post
Thanks! I will. Just ordered it.
I was gonna get the bp250 you talked about, but it wasn't available directly from amazon. Based on my chat with amazon uk, they said i can return the Sony free if there is a problem, I just have to pay postage, then they reimburse. That was only for amazon sold products.
That sounds like a solid deal.

Quote:
Also, i plan on throwing a bunch of my 88 films, eureka, arrow, 101 films and german releases at it (including extras)...just to verify it is solid throughout before i update. I've heard mixed things on special features for whatever reason being odd. Doesn't make sense why, but I'll do a thorough look.
It's probably because special features are more likely to be 50hz. Some multiregion options (like a hacked US PS3) can play region B but only 60hz/24hz content, so they'll choke when you try to play a 50hz extra. I would expect the Sony should do fine in that department.
Thanks given by:
Jlx302 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 12:01 AM   #162

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA
USA

Quote:

Also, i plan on throwing a bunch of my 88 films, eureka, arrow, 101 films and german releases at it (including extras)...just to verify it is solid throughout before i update. I've heard mixed things on special features for whatever reason being odd. Doesn't make sense why, but I'll do a thorough look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post

It's probably because special features are more likely to be 50hz. Some multiregion options (like a hacked US PS3) can play region B but only 60hz/24hz content, so they'll choke when you try to play a 50hz extra. I would expect the Sony should do fine in that department.
Jlx302, as GrouchoDis points out, that's right about the possibility of special features being problematic with some discs. I bought a French Blu-ray to play in my Region B player. The menu screen and Main Feature worked fine, but all the Special Features had no video. They played and you could hear the audio, but there was no video. [I don't speak French, so there wasn't much point in listening to interviews conducted in French with English subtitles. ]

The problem is my US TV can't handle the PAL video of the Special Features, and my Region B player doesn't do NTSC<->PAL conversions. Wound up having to get a Region-Free player with a NTSC<->PAL conversion feature. (Wanted to handle DVDs also.)

So be sure to check any Region B Blu-ray special features that are NOT in 1080p resolution.

Rick
Thanks given by:
Jlx302 (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 01:25 AM   #163

Mar 2019

PAL resolution and colorspace isn't the issue, the 50Hz framerate is the problem. The Sony blu-ray player upscales the video to 1080p HD format unless you tell it not to in setup options, so it's no longer in PAL or NTSC format anyway, but it doesn't convert the framerate so PAL video will end up at 1080p/50, which US tvs often cannot handle.

Some PC monitors can display it, and if the monitor has one of those status displays showing what the input signal is, it will show it is 1080p and 50Hz.
Thanks given by:
Jlx302 (09-13-2021), rickmiddlebrooks (09-13-2021)
Old 09-13-2021, 03:25 AM   #164

Nov 2020

Thanks everyone!

I assume it can't damage the tv in any way, it simply just doesn't display an image if there is a problem in that regard?

I'm not tech savvy on this stuff. I just remember hearing something...particularly about dvds and features shot in different framerates, as mentioned above. Super interesting, and I'm just hoping to see the films. However, I also plan on testing it on my moniter i use next to the bed. Curious if that would be different, if in fact the framerate on certian features are an issue on the tv.
Old 09-13-2021, 06:02 AM   #165

Mar 2019

Quote:
I assume it can't damage the tv in any way, it simply just doesn't display an image if there is a problem in that regard?
Correct.
Thanks given by:
Jlx302 (09-14-2021)
Old 09-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #166

Nov 2020

Just a quick update on the Sony Bps1700 Region B player.

Everything works that I've thrown at it thus far, including the extras and the locked B dvds I have (though, i have very few region b dvds to test.)

It was completely seemless. Simply switching to a North American figure 8 cord worked, no hassle at all.

There does seem to be one very small bizzare issue that happens, however. I use an HDMI audio extractor to push sound to a seperate set of speakers when using my monitor. Interestingly, the audio doesn't always seem to push through in this scenario.

When testing some of my Eureka and Arrow locked blu rays, the audio worked fine, but ONLY on the movie. Special features did not have sound nor did the dvd counter parts work with sound either. What makes it more puzzling is... where the movie, (of the few i checked) worked fine in this setup, my German releases did not. Picture was fine, but even the menu and main feature would simply not push audio.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the extractor I'm using for the monitor, as the TV works perfectly. All the special features worked fine throughout each disc, even the few dvds I have worked perfectly normal.

I'm gonna test it on some other TVs i have to see if it works elsewhere, but all in all very pleased. Simply a bit confused about the audio issue in that specific set up. Weird that it does not seem to be a universal issue for all discs, also. Maybe someone else has a better idea as to what would cause that issue.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:08 AM   #167

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlx302
When testing some of my Eureka and Arrow locked blu rays, the audio worked fine, but ONLY on the movie. Special features did not have sound nor did the dvd counter parts work with sound either. What makes it more puzzling is... where the movie, (of the few i checked) worked fine in this setup, my German releases did not. Picture was fine, but even the menu and main feature would simply not push audio.

I'm assuming this has something to do with the extractor I'm using for the monitor, as the TV works perfectly. All the special features worked fine throughout each disc, even the few dvds I have worked perfectly normal.
I'm sure it's related to the 50hz issue... that would explain the behavior you're seeing. The extractor must not handle that properly.
Thanks given by:
Jlx302 (09-25-2021), rickmiddlebrooks (09-25-2021)
Old 09-25-2021, 05:52 AM   #168

Nov 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDis View Post
I'm sure it's related to the 50hz issue... that would explain the behavior you're seeing. The extractor must not handle that properly.
Has to be related to the extractor. Funny how every german release i have had the exact issue on every aspect, but the others played the main feature fine. I'd assume video would had been the issue, not audio.

Its a pretty niche issue. Just nice to be able to enjoy my locked blu rays.
Thanks given by:
GrouchoDis (09-26-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #169

Oct 2021

i am going to buy a uk blu-ray player for my locked studiocanal uk blu-rays that won't play in my otherwise perfect Sansung region-free player. I just cannot figure out what adaptors to buy. None of the links in the posts in your thread to amazon work anymore. Or they just won't take me to my smile account. Any details about what else to buy here before buying over there much appreciated.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:19 PM   #170

Mar 2013
Coker, AL USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekelks View Post
i am going to buy a uk blu-ray player for my locked studiocanal uk blu-rays that won't play in my otherwise perfect Sansung region-free player. I just cannot figure out what adaptors to buy. None of the links in the posts in your thread to amazon work anymore. Or they just won't take me to my smile account. Any details about what else to buy here before buying over there much appreciated.
Is it just some Region-B locked Blu-rays that won't play in your Region-Free player or is it all of them?

Have you talked with Customer Support at the dealer who sold you the player?

Rick
Old 10-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #171

Mar 2019

Quote:
There does seem to be one very small bizzare issue that happens, however. I use an HDMI audio extractor to push sound to a seperate set of speakers when using my monitor. Interestingly, the audio doesn't always seem to push through in this scenario.

This probably isn't it, but did you try the audio option settings on the player? BD Audio Mix Setting and Dolby D Compatible Output could have some effect. Unrelated, but also turn Audio DRC off unless you want the player to compress dynamic range.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:53 AM   #172

Nov 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfx View Post
This probably isn't it, but did you try the audio option settings on the player? BD Audio Mix Setting and Dolby D Compatible Output could have some effect. Unrelated, but also turn Audio DRC off unless you want the player to compress dynamic range.
So, I just discovered that apparently switching digital audio out to pcm now plays the audio through my extractor. This has been a problem that as only effected my german blu rays going through the audio extractor.

I tried everything you posted and randomly tried the digital audio out to pcm and bam! The audio is now working on the german discs.

Thanks so much . I never would had went further into it if you didn't reply. The set works perfect for everything else, it was just that minor issue and now even that works.
Old 10-16-2021, 02:26 AM   #173

Dec 2012
Rochester, NY

Quote:
Whoops, sorry, I was going to reply to this earlier.
The player is the LG BP250. It may be harder to find than in the past because of Amazon UK still not shipping a lot of things to the US.
Apparently the Sony BPS1700 will also work, and you can probably either get the power converter (see below) or swap the power cord itself - see discussion above!

For the power conversion, any UK to US plug adapter should work. Just search for "travel plug adapter" at Amazon and make sure it goes from UK to US. (It'll probably have a bunch of other ones it converts, too.) The ones I have look most like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Bates-Univers...dp/B08P2HT2N7/
Old 10-16-2021, 06:57 AM   #174

Mar 2019

Quote:
So, I just discovered that apparently switching digital audio out to pcm now plays the audio through my extractor. This has been a problem that as only effected my german blu rays going through the audio extractor.

I tried everything you posted and randomly tried the digital audio out to pcm and bam! The audio is now working on the german discs.

Thanks so much . I never would had went further into it if you didn't reply. The set works perfect for everything else, it was just that minor issue and now even that works.
Awesome, glad you have it working 100% now.

Ironically, I was going to mention that option as well, but Sony's description of it implies it only affects what is sent out over the coaxial digital jack and not HDMI, or at least that is how I interpreted it. So I thought "Nah, that can't be it..." so didn't mention it.
Thanks given by:
Jlx302 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 06:00 PM   #175

Nov 2020

Quote:
The sony BPS1700 uk model doesn't require any other adaptor. It comes with a universal adaptor that works perfectly fine in north america. You just have to have a standard figure 8 non-polarized plug to plug into the adaptor and then into your outlet.

Those plugs can be found super cheap, or you might even have one already. (I have ones from my ps4, printer, stereo)

The lg bp250 is cheaper though and seems amazon uk has them in stock also. It seems to require a converter/different adaptor, as mentioned here.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders