Best Xbox One Game Deals

Best Xbox One Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Xbox One)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (Xbox One)
$49.94

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (Xbox One)
$17.99

Man of Medan (Xbox One)
$24.99

Assassin's Creed III (Xbox One)
$19.99

South Park: The Fractured But Whole (Xbox One)
$39.95
13 hrs ago
The Division 2 (Xbox One)
$69.11
7 hrs ago
Far Cry 5 (Xbox One)
$48.47
9 hrs ago
Sniper Elite V2 (Xbox One)
$31.41

Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Xbox One)
$69.99

Metro Exodus (Xbox One)
$40.99
7 hrs ago
Pro Evolution Soccer 2019 (Xbox One)
$29.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One

Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Default Xbox 4K UHD Experience?

As the title suggests..

So how has your experience been with 4K UHD playback?

Have you run into any problems?

Do you use your Xbox One X much as a UHD player?
Old 07-08-2019, 11:10 AM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
United Kingdom

I used the S as a 4k player and it's solid. Early days it had its problems, but MS nipped that in the bud.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread...3#post16424873
Old 07-08-2019, 12:36 PM   #3
Special Member

Feb 2014
Michigan

i am not a huge fan. it works but thats it. it doesn't do dolby vision from discs yet. maybe it is the way that i have it set up, xbox to splitter to tv/avr but i have a lot of trouble getting hdr to even turn on for discs, a lot of 4k discs load in 1080p actually. a lot of the times, i have to restart the console or splitter, quit and restart the app or even uninstall or reinstall the blu ray app.
Thanks given by:
u2popmofo (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:25 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

It's the only UHD player I've had. My library is rather small (I've played many more BRD and UHD) but aside from one app crash in over 9 months I'd say it works well enough.
Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

Like you, my 4K library is small, but growing. Any issues with it reading discs Dyne? Ive always found The Xboxs finicky and defecting the smallest imperfections on them since the old 360 days.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #6

Jul 2018
Utah

HDR games and streaming both work great, but I've found the X to be pretty average as both a UHD and SHD Blu-Ray player. Player options are bare bones, 1080p content is a bit washed out in regards to color (possible RGB issue?) and looks better on my other players on the same display (PS4 Pro included). UHD works for HDR, but no Dolby Vision. As Ctrl mentioned, some UHD discs are problematic in the player, and may never play in HDR. I presently don't have another UHD player to compare it to, but I've read and heard others say that the same color saturation / RGB issue exists in UHD as SHD.

Blu-ray wise, t works and looks ok, but not great. I'm presently shopping for a stand alone UHD player to use in place of it. I have no issues with it for streaming and HDR games though, works and looks great.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #7
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I played a few Matrix films on the X recently.

While no issues, I was a bit concerned about how hot the discs become.
Old 07-12-2019, 01:34 PM   #8
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
Like you, my 4K library is small, but growing. Any issues with it reading discs Dyne? Ive always found The Xboxs finicky and defecting the smallest imperfections on them since the old 360 days.
No consistent issues so far. I had the one crash back to desktop and had a small handful of times where the audio dropped for a second or so but that seems to also happen in stand alones with layer changes.

My issue now is that I need to set a second profile on that input as it currently defaults to game mode which blocks out a lot of film only tweaks.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #9
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2006
Find Me!

i have yet to use xbonex to watch a 4k movie.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:14 PM   #10

Aug 2013
SoCal (Anaheim)

Only have the experience of the Xbox One X, and thus far only have had GOTG v2 freeze on me for one specific scene. No other issues.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:57 AM   #11

Aug 2016

I've played 4Ks on both the Slim and Xbox One X; no problems whatsoever.

I did have a broken Slim once, apparently there was something wrong with the hardware, that did give me problems to play 4Ks.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:49 PM   #12

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
The only disk I have ever had an issue with was the Blu ray "Waiting...". I didn't work one night and then I tried it a couple days later and it was fine. I've had no issue with 4K Blu ray.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #13

Nov 2010
Minnesota

I don't use mine. Strongly prefer using a stand alone player. I like the options/ease of use, lack of fan, Dolby Vision support for discs, and interface better on the two stand alone I've had.

There was a color error that affected UHD disc playback. Basically, some colors were not accurate/altered. Vincent Teoh tested it and showed some examples, though I can't find the article anymore. I'm not sure if it was ever fixed.

As a bonus perk, I use a separate input on my TV for my stand alone player. This saves me from have to turn on/off game mode every time I used a disc
Old 07-14-2019, 06:21 PM   #14

Jun 2018

Sold off most of my 4K UHD collection and just kept the XBOX One S for the remaining UHD's I have.

Here's my thoughts...
It's the best overall value if you like to play games at all as well. Forza is addicting.

It isn't a perfect player. It can and does freeze at times. There are other times where the audio is distorted and it acts like the sound needs to "catch up." Apparently, it is fairly common. The fix is to pause it for 10 seconds and then it doesn't happen again for another few movies.

PQ wise, it's solid. For most people, it will be what they need. If you're running a setup that has a higher end tv, I'd suggest getting a higher end player.

It is quiet.
Thanks given by:
Derb (07-17-2019)
Old 07-17-2019, 05:04 AM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePreacher View Post
Sold off most of my 4K UHD collection and just kept the XBOX One S for the remaining UHD's I have.

Here's my thoughts...
It's the best overall value if you like to play games at all as well. Forza is addicting.

It isn't a perfect player. It can and does freeze at times. There are other times where the audio is distorted and it acts like the sound needs to "catch up." Apparently, it is fairly common. The fix is to pause it for 10 seconds and then it doesn't happen again for another few movies.

PQ wise, it's solid. For most people, it will be what they need. If you're running a setup that has a higher end tv, I'd suggest getting a higher end player.

It is quiet.
Well I’ll give Fast & Furious Disc 1 another try.

I don’t know if the disc is bad. I got the 8 film collection. PQ got distorted 30 minutes in & then constant glitches in audio & video. I then played disc 8. No issues.

I’m thinking it’s the disc even though it looks spotless.

Last edited by Derb; 07-17-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2019, 03:50 AM   #16
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

I had an Xbox One S for a year or so that I used for gaming and watching UHD discs. I had a couple of occasions where the player would fail to read the disc when I inserted it prompting me to restart the console. Then they would play. Those instances were rare, and haven't happened lately. Maybe the issue was resolved with an update? Anyway I have never had any issues with HDR, but my TV (Vizio P65-C1) doesn't support Dolby Vision from the Xbox so that's a non-starter for me. I always thought games and UHD discs looked very good using the XboneS but I've never compared against a dedicated player.

One thing that does seem strange to me is that I recently upgraded to an XboneX and put the S in the bedroom. I had my game files saved to an external HD and moved it to the new console. I put in Gears of War 4 to see how the 4k game play looked and I can't tell any difference. I actually came here to ask for input on this issue when I found your thread.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #17

Feb 2012
Virginia

While not often, I watch 4K's on my Xbox One X. It does great for my needs.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #18

Jul 2018
Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzy1 View Post
There was a color error that affected UHD disc playback. Basically, some colors were not accurate/altered. Vincent Teoh tested it and showed some examples, though I can't find the article anymore. I'm not sure if it was ever fixed.
This was fixed.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Bruce Wayne lives in my attic

It's the only one I have, and it's worked great for me. I think I had one Transformers UHD it would not play, but aside from that no issues. The controls aren't the best though.
Old 07-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #20

Dec 2016

The only issue I had with the One X was the app not recognizing some discs at first. Ejected and tried again and they played without any issues. I eventually got a standalone player due to the lack of dolby vision.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Xbox > Xbox One