Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Enchanted Kingdom 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.82

xXx: Return of Xander Cage 3D (Blu-ray)
$15.68

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.23

Metalstorm: The Destruction of Jared-Syn 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

The LEGO Movie 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Everest 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.63

The Angry Birds Movie 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.50

Ready Player One 3D (Blu-ray)
$28.88

The Meg 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.56
21 hrs ago
The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors

Old 02-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #21
Power Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblu View Post
About time, I was getting tired of seeing so many TV's being overpriced for something as silly as 3D.
TV's are NOT overpriced by having a 3D option. Just look at all the sets across the board. There are PLENTY of low priced sets with 3D because 3D is an option already built into the product. As it's been said thousands of times (maybe a little exaggeration ) that you pay extra for having a high end TV, not because of the 3D option. I just find it humorous for you and others to think that that's part of the "upper end sets" sales price.The extra revenue and high cost is through the upcharge at the theaters for the glasses, the cost of the blu ray itself and plain old fashion greediness.

I want to see some hard data with how much the exact same set cost to manufacture with the 3D option and without. I'll shut the hell up if the cost is substancially lower by having the option removed.

I will say though, that if the studios don't get off their asses and start releasing some descent films shot natively in 3D, it will go away. I hardly buy anything anymore because of all the crap that's being released. Don't get me wrong, I love 3D (I own 64 titles) and what it brings to the table, but come on now, they can do better than this. I was buying for the sake of buying because that's all that was being offered...... animation and "bad movies" that I wouldn't have bought in standard 2D. I'm still trying to determine if I was part of the problem buying everything, or part of the hopeful solution by keeping the format alive by buying just about everything in sight. I think a little of both.

And forget about the "look at all the relases coming out in 2012 that has 3D" That still doesn't cut it, it's not enough and it's not fast enough. The poor conversions aren't helping matters either.

Start producing "great" conversions of catalog titles that would benefit from this technology and I feel confident that 3D will have a fighting chance for many years to come.

Ok.....I've rambled long enough.

Last edited by koover; 02-17-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
In an interview with Belgian magazine Knack, Tristan van Overbroek, consumer electronics manager at Samsung, revealed that the company no longer believes in 3D TV.
I would read the linked article, except that it's in Dutch. Because the story took place in Belgium.
(Which, European tech sales aside, raises the obvious question, "Did you have to look THAT far for a wishful tabloid headline, or did Snowy and Captain Haddock help you?")

Oh, wait, forgot about Google Translation:
Quote:
Uit een recent Nederlands onderzoek blijkt dat slechts 6 procent van de consumenten in de buidel wil tasten voor een 3D-televisie, hoogstens 20 procent is 'eventueel geÔnteresseerd' in de functionaliteit. “In BelgiŽ is de situatie vergelijkbaar”, aldus van Overbroek. “In 2010 had je enkele early adopters die absoluut zo'n toestel in huis wilden halen, maar in 2011 was het vet al van de soep.”

A recent Dutch study found that only 6 percent of consumers in the pouch will scan for a 3D television, more than 20 percent "possibly interested" in functionality. "In Belgium the situation is similar," says Van Overbroek. "In 2010 you had some early adopters who absolutely wanted to get such a device in the house, but in 2011 it was all fat from the soup."
"
Which means we now no longer know for a confirmed fact whether the article is referring to Samsung US (but that's okay, most US 3DTV'ers pretty much since stopped believing in Samsung), or to Samsung, um....Benelux, I think. Which I always thought sounded like a vacuum cleaner company anyway.
And since we don't, um...we can't say with any verified conviction one way or the other, and more importantly, the OP's argument is pretty much all fat from the soup, so we can all kick him in his lil' schoolyard pants.

(Thus leading to the usual pokes at fanatical hater desperation, and let the mean-spirited superior high-school giggling begin.
And no, jokes about "Boy, Samsung's really in Dutch now!" do not count.)

Last edited by EricJ; 02-17-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:26 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblu View Post
About time, I was getting tired of seeing so many TV's being overpriced for something as silly as 3D.
TV prices are incredibly lower then where they used to be.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

3DTV isn't going anywhere...it's just getting warmed up.

Get over it HATERS!!!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #25

Sep 2009
Leeds, UK

3D will be the new HD. It will be built into every television available to buy. Don't use it, if you don't like it.... Simple!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #26

Nov 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Talking I'm just a devalued witness because I hate three dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
I would read the linked article, except that it's in Dutch. Oh, wait, forgot about Google Translation:
Eric a bulk of other countries around the planet do not speak or write in english. It's their second or third language. Within the boundary of the M25 london, over 184 languages are spoken, I enjoy multiculturalism (Mods, idiots have been adding stupid spelt words into the on-site dictionary!). When I travel around Europe I try too atleast use simple civilities in their own tongue.

It's great too see people enjoying the technology & not berating me or others for our views. If anything it is a further warning for the industry too not do a bodge job towards the consumers they have.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:45 PM   #27

Feb 2012

I'm Belgian btw and the problem with that article is that they state they will focus their marketing on "SmartTV" because Samsung believes this is what consumers want, but when I read an article about the possibility of an Apple Television I see a marketing guy from the same company claim that "Smart TV" isn't that important. So they contradict themselves.

I don't think you should extrapolate the situation in the lower countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) for the rest of the world. We are a small market that sometimes differs from the rest.

Active 3D glasses cost about 130 dollars a piece and the number of 3D movies are slim, think in the biggest electronic store you will only find 20 titles at best. The ones that are available are as expensive as hell (40 dollar a piece, 30 euro's) So like duh the consumers aren't interested. It even makes sense to hold that feature for the most "expensive" line of set because the price to get you started already makes it an exclusive thing.

For 9/10 people that I talk about 3D or isn't because of the glasses or the fact they find it "gimmicky" - the problems is price and supply of movies.

Meanwhile in the same country 4/5 TOP 5 movies viewed in the cinema from the kinepolis group (and btw in those theaters you do have the choice to choose 3D or 2D - it is also the biggest theater group) are 3D movies.

Then again the 3D hate I always find something strange as nobody is forced to watch the 3D version of a movie if they don't want too. It can't be even about the price as the prices of television sets every year seems to drop further and further. My first Samsung 32 inch set costed me about 2000 euro, my 42 panasonic plasma costed me 1200 euro's and now my 47inch set costed me about 800 euro's and that is because of the higher taxes as you can find similar television in France for 100 euro's less. I think it has more to do with a sheeplike attitude most people adapt.

Last edited by Silence; 02-17-2012 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #28
Michael Bay's #1 Fan

Aug 2008
Wisconsin PSNetwork: Blu-Benny

Nothing like seeing a fad go down in flames!!
Old 02-17-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by banibale View Post
I don't see 3D failing at this moment , if the best selling tv sets are 3D capable, there are a lot of upcoming 3D titles to the theaters, and the blueray 3D section at the stores are getting bigger and bigger ... Besides that the top of the line 3D sets are olso the best 2D performers, so 3D haters if you want the besf 2D picture you still have to buy a 3D set....
Lol.
i kinda can't take this post serious because you wrote "blueray" I hope by now you know its "Blu-ray"
Old 02-17-2012, 10:03 PM   #30
Banned

Nov 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiC. HD View Post
3DTV isn't going anywhere...it's just getting warmed up.

Get over it HATERS!!!
keep wasting your money
Old 02-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #31
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunZenBomZ View Post
Eric a bulk of other countries around the planet do not speak or write in english. It's their second or third language. Within the boundary of the M25 london, over 184 languages are spoken, I enjoy multiculturalism (Mods, idiots have been adding stupid spelt words into the on-site dictionary!). When I travel around Europe I try too atleast use simple civilities in their own tongue.
And here's another unique distinction across the Atlantic, and more appropriate to devaluating the thread:
EUROPEANS (and UK) DON'T BUY HOME-THEATER TECH ANYWAY.

Yes, no one likes to be told "Who cares what Europe thinks?" when it comes to a discussion of home-theater sales, but the fact is, it's the fringe side of the market:
Other countries have different studio distribution, different cultural standards for watching television/video (so, you people actually pay a license for your sets?), different Regions that already separate their disk sales apart from North America/Japan, and lower expectations for thinking that everyone in Brixton or Battersea is going to rush out to buy a 60" 1080p set with a surround-speaker setup.
Call it snobbery, but in tech sales/development terms, US, Japan and Germany are the "axis" around which most home-theater sales and R&D are measured, and that headlines proclaim that 3DTV "isn't selling up to expectations" in the Netherlands?....NO FREAKIN' KIDDING!!!!

As Silence says, several posts above:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silence View Post
I'm Belgian btw and...
I don't think you should extrapolate the situation in the lower countries (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) for the rest of the world. We are a small market that sometimes differs from the rest.
Now, y'see, if I said that the smaller Euro countries were a small market that didn't really affect the mass average of sales figures, that might be considered dismissive...Probably because I don't live in Belgium.

We're just having a giggle at the wishful haters who jump like half-starved jackals upon any, any "3D flop!" headline anywhere it might appear in the wide, wide world, and try to sweep the wide brush across the Atlantic out of all possible remote context, either because they don't know the difference, or--with that showmanly Rupert Murdoch touch the UK is famous for--they propagandically hope the rest of us folk with five or six years of Blu-War experience won't know the difference either.
The first one is funnier. )

Last edited by EricJ; 02-17-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:08 AM   #32

Aug 2009
BRONX, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolfoc View Post
i kinda can't take this post serious because you wrote "blueray" I hope by now you know its "Blu-ray"
Are you serious? That's the best thing you have to say about my post , are you 8 years old or something? Do you know about auto correction ? I have this app on my android phone and tablet. Yes I wrote blu-ray and the app fixed it with an e.... Keep up with the technology . This forum is about movies, home theater, and HT gears is not about english classes any aways.

Last edited by banibale; 02-18-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #33
Expert Member

Mar 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
keep wasting your money
That's only your opinion, it's worth it to me.
Old 02-18-2012, 06:30 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Seriously, why do people care if 3d exists? It's not like 3d has made 2d only tv's more expensive.

If you're not using it or don't plan to then don't buy a 3d tv. There are plenty of great 2d tv's out there. Stop complaining about something that doesn't affect you one way or another. I have yet to see movie ticket prices go up for 2d movies because of 3d movies or 2d tv's go up because of 3d tech or tv's. I don't get why people have to care and cry for the destruction of tech that doesn't affect them at all. Get over yourselves. Live and let live I say. Just because YOU don't like the tech doesn't mean others don't.

I don't like brussel sprouts but you don't see me going around demanding and hoping for the destruction of all brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts didn't murder my family one night while I was sleeping, thus I have no actual hate for them as they have never done anything at all to harm me or my family.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #35

Jul 2009

3D going away? Doubt it. While companies will reduce their marketing and R&D efforts for 3D, it will most likely remain a feature built into sets for a long time. Also, this means we will be seeing active shutter glasses for the foreseeable future since interest in 3D has hit a plateau. Regardless of the opinion anyone may have on the 3D technology, it has been a good addition for the consumer. Television prices would be the same regardless, we just got an extra feature we can use now if we choose to. With all of that being said, this could all be another marketing ploy, since we are all talking about 3D instead of ripping G. Lucas over in the Star Wars threads.
Old 02-18-2012, 05:06 PM   #36

Jun 2011

Quote:
You are joking right, and forgot to add the 'smilie'??
Old 02-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #37
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I don't think the point was that it was not English but more so that you guys get all excited because some low level marketing manager at Samsung said they won't be pushing 3D in Belgium as much any more since it is nopt a key selling point. If it was a VP or something, that could be interesting, if it was that they will stop making 3D TVs, that could be interesting. But here we have all the munchkins signing "Ding Dong 3D is dead , which 3d the wicked 3d...." and the home fell 5' away and the wicked witch only has a minor scratch from a piece of wood that fell off the house while it was landing
Old 02-18-2012, 07:38 PM   #38
Banned

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony P View Post
I don't think the point was that it was not English but more so that you guys get all excited because some low level marketing manager at Samsung said they won't be pushing 3D in Belgium as much any more since it is not a key selling point. I
Now, that IS a mystery. I think we should call in Hercule Poirot on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdragon View Post
I don't like brussel sprouts
(Again with Brussels! Quit picking on Belgium!)

Quote:
but you don't see me going around demanding and hoping for the destruction of all brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts didn't murder my family one night while I was sleeping, thus I have no actual hate for them as they have never done anything at all to harm me or my family.
Ah, but that's because Evil Vegetable Companies aren't MAKING you eat Brussel sprouts, by forcing you to pay $3 more for Brussel sprouts than you would for peas--So, if you see fewer supermarkets stocking Brussel sprouts than peas, it's a sign that right-eating people in the world are finally learning to give up eating Brussel sprouts after 300 years, we'll never have to eat them again, and all those Evil Vegetable Companies will just have to eat their million-dollar losses and rue the day they ever made us eat those stupid leafy green things in the first place!
Besides, they always give me gas, that's why everyone knows people hate them!

(In other words, as Gunz said, it's a sweeping revolutionary movement because he personally hates having to pay for the glasses in the theaters. The theaters, not the disks.
Tell ya what, GB, as long as you're personally changing reality with the power of your mind, can you make it Spring for us? February's been kind of cold this year. )

Last edited by EricJ; 02-18-2012 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
Now, that IS a mystery. I think we should call in Hercule Poirot on this.

(Again with Brussels! Quit picking on Belgium!)

Ah, but that's because Evil Vegetable Companies aren't MAKING you eat Brussel sprouts, by forcing you to pay $3 more for Brussel sprouts than you would for peas--So, if you see fewer supermarkets stocking Brussel sprouts than peas, it's a sign that right-eating people in the world are finally learning to give up eating Brussel sprouts after 300 years, we'll never have to eat them again, and all those Evil Vegetable Companies will just have to eat their million-dollar losses and rue the day they ever made us eat those stupid leafy green things in the first place!
Besides, they always give me gas, that's why everyone knows people hate them!

(In other words, as Gunz said, it's a sweeping revolutionary movement because he personally hates having to pay for the glasses in the theaters. The theaters, not the disks.
Tell ya what, GB, as long as you're personally changing reality with the power of your mind, can you make it Spring for us? February's been kind of cold this year. )
The point is that no one is forcing you to watch 3d in the theater and pay the surcharge. You can see the 2d version for the same exact price you did (not counting inflation) before 3d came out. Now if 3d were the only choice and they completely got rid of 2d, thus forcing you to pay the surcharge or not go to the movies then that would be a different story. However, we are not at that point yet. At this point, people are hoping for the death of it for no other reason than "I don't like it, so if I don't like it then NO ONE should have the option"
Old 02-18-2012, 10:00 PM   #40

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdragon View Post
At this point, people are hoping for the death of it for no other reason than "I don't like it, so if I don't like it then NO ONE should have the option"
You put it far more eloquently than I could! I don't understand how completely self-absorbed and selfish some people can be!! Quite sad really
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Hardware and Technology > 3D TVs and 3D projectors