Best PS4 Game Deals

Best PS4 Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Control (PS4)
$50.94

Hitman 2 (PS4)
$23.99

Judgment (PS4)
$39.99

Prey (PS4)
$7.99

Steins;Gate Elite (PS4)
$29.99

Assassin's Creed III (PS4)
$19.99

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint (PS4)
$49.94

Monster Hunter World: Iceborn (PS4)
$49.94

The Walking Dead: The Final Season (PS4)
$19.99

The Hunter: Call of the Wild (PS4)
$19.93

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR (PS4)
$29.99

Tom Clancy's The Division 2 (PS4)
$69.11

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4

Old 02-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

Jun 2009
Default Sony Platinum Headset

These just ‚me out in Canada and are the evolution of the gold headset. Anybody tried them? I currently have Skullcandy Plyr1 which I love but its broken and discontinue and I'm looking for a good replacement (i don't have the budget for A50s)

The platinum seems well rated but I wonder if the bass is as strong as the plyr1.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Verdict is they're pretty decent according to some reviews whilst some say that it's a bit too pricey and not any real titles with 3D audio. They did say it perform as better than the Golds objectively BUT consider the Golds can be bought on offer quite regularly now and the Platinum is like $100 more.

I'd personally recommend the Golds as a stop gap until the Platinum price drops and the games that use 3D audio actually come out.
Thanks given by:
Omegaice (02-07-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #3

Jun 2009

I personally didn't like the gold because the bass was pretty much non existent. I think I'll just buy the platinum at bestbuy to try them out and return them if they don't do the job
Old 02-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

I like the fact they are built better than the golds as those bands crack way to easy however the Platinums weigh more which could make for uncomfortable gaming if used for more then 4 hours. I doubt sound quality is any different but would like to try the plats out anyway.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:16 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Newark, DE

Anyone know of any decent priced headsets for gaming that would work with an PS4, Xbox One and also PC too want to be able to work with all three without any problems at all but i haven't come across any that are decent priced can't say how much i'm willing to spend either.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:32 PM   #6

Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derb View Post
I like the fact they are built better than the golds as those bands crack way to easy however the Platinums weigh more which could make for uncomfortable gaming if used for more then 4 hours. I doubt sound quality is any different but would like to try the plats out anyway.
From what I read the sound is much better than the gold (better bass) but I'm just wondering how it compares to the skullcandy I had
Old 02-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #7

Sep 2009

I believe the Plats have 50mm drivers vs. 40mm for the Golds.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:04 AM   #8
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Mine just broke.

Didn’t even notice the left band (folding part) was showing signs of cracking. This happened to the old pair of Golds as most know.

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh Sony. You just can’t make headsets can you?

Any recommendations for wireless BT headsets for PS4 other Than crap Sony ones?

Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:32 AM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Mine just broke.

Didnít even notice the left band (folding part) was showing signs of cracking. This happened to the old pair of Golds as most know.

Ooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh Sony. You just canít make headsets can you?

Any recommendations for wireless BT headsets for PS4 other Than crap Sony ones?

Thanks.
Depends entirely on budget but are wired headsets an option at all? Regarding wireless. Astro A50s are apparently really good and you can get a deal by looking around. A friend of mine did tbis and got some.

Personally i use a wired USB headset. HyperX Cloud IIs and think they're amazing. A firmware update was released a little bit ago to enable PS4 plug and play compatibility on the controls that come with it. Personally using the PlayStation Silver wired headset USB dongle with the 3.5mm jack and they work really well overall. Game and movies are crisp and loud.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:17 AM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

i use the logitech g933 wireless headset. they work with pc, ps4, xbox 1, and switch.

currently $99.99 on amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0148NPJ78/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and i didn't know it until just now, but logitech bought astro from skullcandy (in 2017).
Old 06-10-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Cool thanks guys.

Yeah I considered wired.

I ordered the Astro A-10ís. Simple plug in, no worry about battery life. I do have a pair of SkullCandy somewhere, also TB. I preferred Sonyís over them. I almost bought the new wireless Gold Sony but thought to check out others.

Looked at some reviews. Some say the Astro mic is good & others say it is garbage. The ones that say itís good used PC to test while the ones that say no good used PS4.

I didnít know the A-10ís headband was nearly unbreakable.

As for sound quality, I know these wonít be anywhere near as good as Sonyís.
Old 06-27-2019, 06:30 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
As for sound quality, I know these wonít be anywhere near as good as Sonyís.
Yeah.

I bought the ďNewĒ Sony Goldís.

Will give some impressions later after testing but did a sample & the AQ blows the A-10ís out of the water as I expected.

Sony Goldís Durability is questionable. The improvements of not having a hinge on the headband is nice however these cans are very lightweight.

Curious to see how batt life is. The Platinumís lasted around 5 hours fully charged.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:48 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Yeah.

I bought the ďNewĒ Sony Goldís.

Will give some impressions later after testing but did a sample & the AQ blows the A-10ís out of the water as I expected.

Sony Goldís Durability is questionable. The improvements of not having a hinge on the headband is nice however these cans are very lightweight.

Curious to see how batt life is. The Platinumís lasted around 5 hours fully charged.
Honestly the new design looks like a godsend for durability and not breaking as quickly as the other prior version.

I think next gen is when you might want to try out the Platinums vs Golds in games equipped with 3D audio.
Thanks given by:
Derb (06-28-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 12:59 AM   #14
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Honestly the new design looks like a godsend for durability and not breaking as quickly as the other prior version.

I think next gen is when you might want to try out the Platinums vs Golds in games equipped with 3D audio.
These have smaller drivers & do not support 3D Audio. So I think these will last longer on a single charge. I hope they last for at least 8 hours.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:12 AM   #15
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Well good news is they do last 8 hours with VSS off & mic off.

If you are using mic, they last around 5-6 hours from full charge.

Unfortunately (despite the very lightweight design) they become uncomfortable after 4 hours. Some might be able to tolerate a bit more time.

I wouldnít recommend the new Goldís because of comfort. If they had bigger ear pieces it be alright. However they pinch your ear.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:00 AM   #16
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Personally i don't like running out of charge etc. as i can go on long gaming sessions so for me i've always been drawn to wired headsets. The HyperX Cloud IIs had an official update you can use to work with PS4 and they've been personally great for me.

The ear cups are really comfy even after many, many hours of use. My only slight issue and this is more of a personal thing is that i need to get a better gaming set up in terms of my seating position when i game. I sit awkwardly to the side of the tv off axis and on my bed so no back support and laying down although comfortable takes away all the finer control i usually have when playing competitive MP titles. So hopefully i can grab a recliner at some point and that should help. Not sure about a "gaming chair" atm but if i can make the swivel wheels just lock in place and get a good price, might go ahead.

Headsets really do make a big difference though to gameplay. Being able to hear everything in a directional way adds immersion.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:30 AM   #17
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NARMAK View Post
Personally i don't like running out of charge etc. as i can go on long gaming sessions so for me i've always been drawn to wired headsets. The HyperX Cloud IIs had an official update you can use to work with PS4 and they've been personally great for me.

The ear cups are really comfy even after many, many hours of use. My only slight issue and this is more of a personal thing is that i need to get a better gaming set up in terms of my seating position when i game. I sit awkwardly to the side of the tv off axis and on my bed so no back support and laying down although comfortable takes away all the finer control i usually have when playing competitive MP titles. So hopefully i can grab a recliner at some point and that should help. Not sure about a "gaming chair" atm but if i can make the swivel wheels just lock in place and get a good price, might go ahead.

Headsets really do make a big difference though to gameplay. Being able to hear everything in a directional way adds immersion.
Indeed.

Will have to look at your headset.

Iíve tried 80% of all. Mainly because Iíve been without HT for 5+ years.

I still have & use my Sennheiser HDR850 wireless for single player games, movies. There simply is not a company that makes a better headset. That pair is unlimited comfort (with 750 cushion ear pads) with 12 hour battery life. Yes I tested that. Last I looked at Amazon, these headsets are only going up in value, crazy.

Anywhoo, I donít want a Sennheiser gaming headset because of cost. If money wasnít an issue, I would have already ordered a gaming one from them.

I donít get how Sony canít make a headband but they can make great AQ for games. Oh well.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2008
Vancouver, B.C.

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...58&postcount=1

HDR 185 oops.

Yeah $400 on Amazon now.

Edit

Looked at hyper cloud II. Not bad looking. Curious about weight.

While browsing I found these,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KV3BB0S?th=1

Why the heck did I get Astro!

Last edited by Derb; 07-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > PlayStation > PS4