Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

Charlie's Angels: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$89.79

Happy Death Day 2U (Blu-ray)
$12.99
2 hrs ago
Upgrade (Blu-ray)
$9.99
1 hr ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.64
15 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Star Trek: Discovery Season Two (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

The Thing (Blu-ray)
$24.00

Arrow: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
1 hr ago
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99
5 hrs ago
Us (Blu-ray)
$12.99
5 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage

Old 03-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #1
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Scarif
Default Vegan

Any other vegans out there?

I just started eating vegan a few months ago and I am loving it. I’m trying to go as close to whole-food plant-based as I can, but I do eat some processed vegan foods.

It’s surprisingly easy. The hardest part was giving up soda. I drank them like a chain-smoker lights up cigarettes.

I feel more energetic than I have in a long time. I know without a doubt I’ll never go back to how I ate before.

Last edited by Rodney-2187; 04-03-2019 at 03:24 PM.
Thanks given by:
atlantajoseph (11-22-2018), coldheart (03-22-2018), esteban² (06-04-2019), SlayersCouncil (06-04-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #2

Mar 2018

Nice one dude. I too am a "Neganl" (can't give up cheese!).

My wife's a great cool so we have lots of vege shepherds pie, Mexican, Italian, Thai etc. Soya is great.

What specialities can you share?
Thanks given by:
Rodney-2187 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #3
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013
The dark underbelly of Anytown, USA

I wasn't aware that soda wasn't allowed in veganism.

My own personal diet is about 60% vegan on an average day.

I don't subscribe to the notion that veganism, per se, is what increases one's energy level and overall health.

I think it's the elimination of highly-processed foods, refined sugars and animal products that are pumped full of steroids and hormones. You can eat a non-vegan diet and still feel terrific and full of energy.

On the whole, I go by the 80/20 rule. Which is to say I eat very clean, healthy food about 80% of the time and the other 20%, I eat whatever the hell I want. I don't have the will power to live any other way.

I don't eat a lot of red meat, but when I'm really in the mood for a steak or a pepperoni pizza, I don't hesitate.
Thanks given by:
Musashi (04-06-2018), PS-RagE (05-30-2019), Steedeel (05-28-2019), version77 (05-17-2019)
Old 04-01-2018, 10:11 PM   #4
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

What made you want to go vegan and what foods did you have to give up that you really love?

Veganism is a lot easier for people who don't really like eating meat or dairy products.

...but it's much harder for the rest of us.
Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 AM   #5
Power Member

Dec 2010
Germany

Our family loves to get together and cook. However, my niece is vegan so there are always a few 'issues', more or less. When we get together someone has to cook a seperate vegan meal (based on her strict specifications), or my niece brings her own food or cooks herself.
She doesn't use any of our pots, pans and plates since they were "exposed" to meat so she will bring her own kitchenware if she is planning to cook for herself. Getting invited for dinner is also kind of problematic (especially weddings) as the hosts rarely change the menu to accomodate one or two vegans (last time she was stuck with side dishes and what the salad bar had to offer), or struggle to come up with a meatless alternative that's to her liking or they simply ask her to bring her own. Which always comes off as unintentionally rude.

Personally I could never go full vegan but I have increased my veggie intake and reduced meat to two or three times a week thanks to my niece.

I would probably change my mind if it wasn't for tofu. Dear lord that stuff is hideous (no offense!).

Last edited by Leslie Dame; 04-02-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Scarif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
I wasn't aware that soda wasn't allowed in veganism.
There are lots of things that are vegan, but that doesn't make them healthy. Oreos are vegan.

I stopped drinking soda because of how much I was addicted to it, and how bad it is for you.

Quote:
I think it's the elimination of highly-processed foods, refined sugars and animal products that are pumped full of steroids and hormones. You can eat a non-vegan diet and still feel terrific and full of energy.
That is very true. There are a lot of processed vegan foods I stay away from. Processed is definitely not good for you.

Quote:
What made you want to go vegan and what foods did you have to give up that you really love?

Veganism is a lot easier for people who don't really like eating meat or dairy products.

...but it's much harder for the rest of us.
I have a smoker. I love barbecue. I love eggs too. I just don't love high cholesterol and heart disease, so a change in diet is a must. I don't miss them really like I thought i would. There's too much other stuff out there.

I'm 45 years old and never had any health problems. No high blood pressure or diabetes. I used to be in great shape but now I'm overweight and it's only a matter of time before I have problem unless I change my diet.

All of that fat and cholesterol is just not good for us.

Going vegan is something I've thought about for years, nut never did. No that I've done it and discovered how easy it is and so many great foods, I know I'll never go back. I feel so much better, I must have been closer to having those problems that I realized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dame View Post
Our family loves to get together and cook. However, my niece is vegan so there are always a few 'issues', more or less. Which always comes off as unintentionally rude.
Some people are vegan for ethical reasons. It's not that I don't care about the animals, but I do it for my health. Just like any other person, sometimes you have something you shouldn't. Now I don't mean go out and have a steak or a burger, but if we go out to eat with friends and the closest thing to vegan is a grilled fish taco that has a little shredded cheese, or a Greek salad with a little feta cheese, I just eat it. I don't make a habit of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Dame View Post
I would probably change my mind if it wasn't for tofu. Dear lord that stuff is hideous (no offense!).
I hate tofu too. I never eat it.
Thanks given by:
SlayersCouncil (06-04-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 04:14 PM   #7
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

Rodney, what does a typical day look like for you in terms of meals and snacks?
Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Scarif

Quote:
Rodney, what does a typical day look like for you in terms of meals and snacks?
For breakfast I have either cereal with almond milk or oatmeal. I started drinking almond milk long before going vegan. I'm so used to it, I don't even think about it. Lately I like chopping up a plum and putting it in the oatmeal.

For lunch I like to make sandwiches or wraps. I prefer whole grain breads. My current favorite is hummus and sprouts. Sometimes I add brown rice or quinoa. I love hot sauce too.

For dinner I usually make a huge salad with tons of kale and spinach. I add everything but the kitchen sink, tomatoes, beets, beans, peas, corn, blueberries, whatever I can find. I don't use oil anymore, so no salad dressing. Sometimes I eat it plain or I make my own with apple cider vinegar base.

I like to make vegetable soups.

There are tons of vegan recipes and I like to experiment with those. It's all in the seasoning.

I keep fruit around as a snack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alps View Post
Nice one dude. I too am a "Neganl" (can't give up cheese!).

My wife's a great cool so we have lots of vege shepherds pie, Mexican, Italian, Thai etc. Soya is great.

What specialities can you share?
We like making Thai and shepard's pie too. Lately I've been making chili with black beans, quinoa, and tomatoes. I just toss it all in the slow cooker with seasonings. It's easy and great.
Old 04-03-2018, 02:12 AM   #9
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

"For dinner I usually make a huge salad with tons of kale and spinach. I add everything but the kitchen sink, tomatoes, beets, beans, peas, corn, blueberries, whatever I can find. I don't use oil anymore, so no salad dressing. Sometimes I eat it plain or I make my own with apple cider vinegar base. "

Sounds pretty healthy, but not terribly satisfying in terms of flavor.

Also, aside from the quinoa, I don't see a major protein source in there.

...have you lost a lot of muscle mass?
Old 04-03-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Scarif

Quote:
"For dinner I usually make a huge salad with tons of kale and spinach. I add everything but the kitchen sink, tomatoes, beets, beans, peas, corn, blueberries, whatever I can find. I don't use oil anymore, so no salad dressing. Sometimes I eat it plain or I make my own with apple cider vinegar base. "

Sounds pretty healthy, but not terribly satisfying in terms of flavor.

Also, aside from the quinoa, I don't see a major protein source in there.

...have you lost a lot of muscle mass?
All those veggies have protein. The oatmeal and the beans have the most I think. Protein deficiency is a myth. If you are not calorie deficient, you will not be protein deficient, unless you are just eating junk.

When I first started, I analyzed every portion and how much of every vitamin I was getting, but after a while it was just obvious that eating a ton of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes will get you everything you need.

The only thing to really keep an eye on is B12, not protein. There is no B12 in plants. It comes from bacteria. Animals get B12 because their food is dirtier than ours, we wash everything. Then people get B12 from eating the animal who first consumed it, but the animal itself didn't manufacture it in their body. Many breakfast cereals are fortified with B12. One bowl of Special K has about 200% of what you need in a day and has higher bioavailability than taking a supplement.

As for flavor, I have to disagree. The food I eat now has better flavor and texture than anything I've ever had. When you stop covering things with oil, butter, mayo, cheese, and gravy, you start to appreciate how thing really taste.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #11
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyfaile View Post
All those veggies have protein. The oatmeal and the beans have the most I think. Protein deficiency is a myth. If you are not calorie deficient, you will not be protein deficient, unless you are just eating junk.

When I first started, I analyzed every portion and how much of every vitamin I was getting, but after a while it was just obvious that eating a ton of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and legumes will get you everything you need.

[Show spoiler]The only thing to really keep an eye on is B12, not protein. There is no B12 in plants. It comes from bacteria. Animals get B12 because their food is dirtier than ours, we wash everything. Then people get B12 from eating the animal who first consumed it, but the animal itself didn't manufacture it in their body. Many breakfast cereals are fortified with B12. One bowl of Special K has about 200% of what you need in a day and has higher bioavailability than taking a supplement.

As for flavor, I have to disagree. The food I eat now has better flavor and texture than anything I've ever had. When you stop covering things with oil, butter, mayo, cheese, and gravy, you start to appreciate how thing really taste.
That may be true, but I can't tell you have many vegans I've seen who look like anorexic starving children...literally no muscle tissue at all.

I see a woman at Whole Foods from time to time who looks like she's a walking skeleton covered with skin. She's always holding a plate with a salad on it--no beans, tofu, quinoa...just vegetables. There's no doubt in my mind that she's a longtime vegan.

That can't be the healthiest way to live.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (05-28-2019)
Old 04-03-2018, 05:54 PM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Scarif

Quote:
That may be true, but I can't tell you have many vegans I've seen who look like anorexic starving children...literally no muscle tissue at all.

I see a woman at Whole Foods from time to time who looks like she's a walking skeleton covered with skin. She's always holding a plate with a salad on it--no beans, tofu, quinoa...just vegetables. There's no doubt in my mind that she's a longtime vegan.

That can't be the healthiest way to live.
That person sounds CALORIE deficient. Vegetables have tons of vitamins but not many calories. That's why they're so good for you. But you have to eat a ton of them. If you saw the salad I eat, you'd think it was for a family.

Not every vegan is a healthy vegan.

Some eat vegan mainly for ethical reasons, so being healthy may not be their goal. Some eat a ton of junk food and processed food. I've met chubby vegans.

I've encountered people who never had weight or health issues, who start eating vegan without any thought of how to do it properly, because thinking about what they eat has never been something they worry about.

There are also professional athletes, huge muscular people, who have been eating vegan for years.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:12 AM   #13
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

I purchased two large candy bars after work today and I fully intend to eat them both after my healthy dinner this evening.

...I won't apologize for it.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #14

Mar 2018

A vege or vegan diet is like all other diets and eating habits. They have to be balanced. A cliché, I agree, but that's logic. You don't balance you go one way or the other regards.to weight. But one way only for not having a balanced diet is health.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:09 PM   #15
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Manchester, CT
Send a message via AIM to Musashi

Quote:
This!

I get the feeling its same story for people on the opposite side of the spectrum: Keto. I hear stories from people on both sides, saying that going Vegan/Keto made them feel so much better and healthier. I figure in both cases it meant less processed foods and more cooking for one's self, hence improved health.

Personally, I feel great being right in the middle with my eating habits. I attribute my health to doing my cooking, getting into weightlifting back in 2006, and doing daily Farmer's Walks when I can't get to a weight bench.

A lot of it also depends on who you are. People who advocate specific diets often claim their way will work for everyone else, but the fact is, every person's body is a customized biochem lab with its own MO.
Thanks given by:
Ray Jackson (04-06-2018)
Old 04-06-2018, 05:23 PM   #16
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

I wish I could eliminate my twice weekly frozen pizza routine, as well as my after dinner candy habit.

Because other than that, I'm a health-food samurai.

I eat very clean.

...but I have some definite vices.
Old 04-07-2018, 01:36 AM   #17
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

Anyone else eat Morningstar Farms Prime Grillers?

Yes I know that they fall firmly under the category of "highly processed."

And they're high in sodium and contain a bunch of substances that probably aren't very good for you.

But I think they're by far the best tasting veggie burgers that can be bought for $5 or less.

...so I eat them once or twice a week.

[Show spoiler]
Old 04-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #18
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2014
Scarif

I definitely didn't start this thread to tell anyone what to do. I was just curious if there were any other vegans out there.

What I do know is there's an epidemic of obesity and diet-related illnesses. Doctors are quick to prescribe drugs because people don't want to change what they are eating.

Food is a huge industry, and ultimate profit is their goal, not your well being. Just because the marketing says it's healthy, doesn't mean it is.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:27 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2013
TN

Quote:
I wish I could eliminate my twice weekly frozen pizza routine, as well as my after dinner candy habit.

Because other than that, I'm a health-food samurai.

I eat very clean.

...but I have some definite vices.
I'm just about the exact opposite. I tend to eat whatever, whenever: pizza, burgers, fries, snacks, candy... I eat like a twelve year old with no adult supervision. Funny thing is, my weight holds steady, at around 225. (You'd never know it looking at me; I look like I weigh around 180.) The problem begins when I try to eat "healthy": I gain weight like a sonofa*****. Cut out snacks, water instead of sweet tea, cut down portion sizes, add fruits & veggies, and by the second week I've packed on five to ten pounds. When I inevitably give up & go back to eating junk, the extra pounds melt off and I settle back to my normal weight.
Old 04-08-2018, 02:29 AM   #20
Blu-ray Count

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman slim View Post
I'm just about the exact opposite. I tend to eat whatever, whenever: pizza, burgers, fries, snacks, candy... I eat like a twelve year old with no adult supervision. Funny thing is, my weight holds steady, at around 225. (You'd never know it looking at me; I look like I weigh around 180.) The problem begins when I try to eat "healthy": I gain weight like a sonofa*****. Cut out snacks, water instead of sweet tea, cut down portion sizes, add fruits & veggies, and by the second week I've packed on five to ten pounds. When I inevitably give up & go back to eating junk, the extra pounds melt off and I settle back to my normal weight.
Very little of this post makes any logical sense.

...assuming it was intended to be serious in any way.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Food and Beverage