Best Vudu Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Avengers: Endgame 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Twin Peaks: The Television Collection (Blu-ray)
$76.99
19 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$62.99
9 hrs ago
Betty Blue (Blu-ray)
$29.49
8 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$164.99

50 Years of Planet of the Apes: 9-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

All About Eve (Blu-ray)
$29.49
8 hrs ago
Now, Voyager (Blu-ray)
$27.37
8 hrs ago
The Daytrippers (Blu-ray)
$27.37
8 hrs ago
Scarface 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.74

The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.37
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > UltraViolet (Discontinued)

Old 07-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #1

Mar 2016
Default Determining if a new Blu-Ray includes an unadvertised Ultraviolet code slip?

I buy a lot of Blu-Rays, and while most discs advertise the inclusion of an Ultraviolet code slip, older titles sometimes have codes inside that isn't mentioned on the artwork or with a Ultraviolet sticker on the shrinkwrap.

Two examples are Crank and Shoot 'Em Up, both of which I picked up at a discount store a few days ago. Additionally, I find that some new blu-rays have new UPC stickers placed over the existing one, sometimes on the cellophane and sometimes on the case itself. Do these stickers indicate anything?

Also, I sometimes pick up new Blu-Rays that have loose, heat-style shrinkwrap (rather than cellophane), and I'm wondering if this is some kind of indicator as to whether old stock had been opened to place a code inside, and then resealed?

TL;DR is there a master list of which blu-rays include a code? Are there any other identifiers on the packaging that tell you if a slip is inside?
Old 07-19-2018, 02:16 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2014

Sometimes the slipcover advertises the digital copy, and if that slipcover is missing, then the insert inside the case may or may not indicate a digital copy slip inside.

New UPC stickers are used so that they can market a BD at a different price, a "special" price for a certain amount of time on selected physical stock. Recently I saw two sets of Murder on the Orient Express, one with the normal UPC code, one with the sticker. The one with the sticker had no slipcover and was part of a sale (and was cheaper), but was exactly the same as the one with the slipcover.

Could be a number of reasons that they get opened and resealed, but yes, sometimes it's to add a code slip.

As for the list, I can't think of a master list. If you have your phone with you when you're in the store, you can check this very site, and the site will tell you if the BD comes with a code or not, and often which type (itunes only, UV, UV and iTunes, etc)
Old 08-17-2018, 11:28 AM   #3

Jun 2017

Often but not always multiformat will have a digital code included (the digital aspect being one of the formats)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Blu-ray Prince

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Warner is probably the worst studio at containing "surprise" digital codes in their older catalog re-releases. It usually means the inventory came from older distributor stock.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Digital Movies > UltraViolet (Discontinued)