Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Child's Play (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 day ago
Tenet 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

2012 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
1 day ago
Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Memories of Murder (Blu-ray)
$29.49

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$81.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$157.50

Color Out of Space (Blu-ray)
$6.96
1 day ago
Tenet (Blu-ray)
$14.99

From the Earth to the Moon (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Rick and Morty: Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Southland Tales (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 AM   #1

Sep 2010
New York
Default Custom Slipcovers

I really hate how some slipcovers or well most of them are practically the same artwork as the blu ray cover art. So I decided to make a couple custom ones to two of my favorite movies The Fountain and Shame.

It was a bit difficult to find a high quality image for Shame but The Fountain was quite easy. Trying to figure out what typeface The Fountain used took a bit but it was the most generic font...Helvetica.
[Show spoiler]

Heres how Shame came out
[Show spoiler]

Heres how The Fountain came out
[Show spoiler]

Side by side
[Show spoiler]

The slipcovers came out to a little loose. The cases do tend to slip through, so I should make it a little tighter next time. Also I used epson photo matte paper, I need a heavier stock paper next time.

This was quite fun to do. The most difficult part was finding a high quality image and scoring the folds so it can fold correctly.

I think the next slipcover I might create is Atonement and/or Sunshine.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2

May 2009
New Zealand

Wow that is dedication!

The Fountain looked like it came out pretty good. What type of glue are you using to put them together?
Old 08-11-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
Metro Detroit Area

Wow, very nice! Might you consider taking orders in the future? Depending on the price, I know I personally would gladly pay to have several printed, cut, and folded for me.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
Banned

Mar 2009
30 Years From Now

OMG i so tried this one time but came out terrible.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
Deep in the heart of NE Texas

WOW, nice. I'm actually having one of the customizers creating some slips for my BD's that didn't come with any. So I really hope this thread takes off and you get some of these guys over here posting some pics. Definitely fill us in on what type of card stock, glue and recipe you used to make this happen
Old 08-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2011
SoCal, CA

I've always wanted to make a couple of slips, just never got around to it. Those look good though!
Old 08-11-2012, 09:46 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2010
Beyond the horizon

Great idea for ions you know will never get slips (or at least good ones). You did a good job for a first attempt, better than what I could do A little suggestion though, try getting the bluray logo and the studio logo on the spine, to match other releases side by side and maybe a bluray logo on top of the front cover.

Can't wait to see more
Old 08-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Power Member

Jun 2012
Blackburn, UK
Send a message via MSN to Hussun1

Does anyone know how to make them perfectly? I would love to know how to make them or pay for some to be made.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #9

Sep 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
Wow that is dedication!

The Fountain looked like it came out pretty good. What type of glue are you using to put them together?
I use studio tac. Its little dots of adhesive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UUUUGGGGHHHH View Post
Wow, very nice! Might you consider taking orders in the future? Depending on the price, I know I personally would gladly pay to have several printed, cut, and folded for me.
I would definitely consider it but nothing yet. Also don't want to get sued by any movie studio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Donster View Post
WOW, nice. I'm actually having one of the customizers creating some slips for my BD's that didn't come with any. So I really hope this thread takes off and you get some of these guys over here posting some pics. Definitely fill us in on what type of card stock, glue and recipe you used to make this happen
I used Epson Matte Photo Paper and Studio Tac as my adhesive. Its quite easy to make. The trick is using a ruler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickMate View Post
Great idea for ions you know will never get slips (or at least good ones). You did a good job for a first attempt, better than what I could do A little suggestion though, try getting the bluray logo and the studio logo on the spine, to match other releases side by side and maybe a bluray logo on top of the front cover.

Can't wait to see more
Will definitely do that next time.

I originally was going to do this to a couple steelbooks but I picked up Shame and hated the slipcover art. So I made my own. It is a bit loose so I have to tighten up the dimensions. Might do a couple steelbooks next week. And thanks everyone.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:10 AM   #10

Jul 2012
Tilburg, The Netherlands

that's pure genius!!! what dimensions did you use? or could you post a template?
I would really appreciate it.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
The Deep South

i made a few myself a couple months ago and meant to post these pics, but forgot to until i saw this post.

Crank
[Show spoiler]

The Crow
[Show spoiler]

Taken
[Show spoiler]

Old 08-12-2012, 02:24 AM   #12

Sep 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe013 View Post
that's pure genius!!! what dimensions did you use? or could you post a template?
I would really appreciate it.
I have a pdf file I could send you. PM me.

Toxsic, really like that Crank slipcover.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #13

Jul 2012
Tennessee

What are the proper dimensions to use. I would like to make some glossy slips for some of the movies I have that didn't come with slips.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:40 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Miami, FL.
Send a message via AIM to laz305 Send a message via MSN to laz305 Send a message via Yahoo to laz305

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxsic View Post
i made a few myself a couple months ago and meant to post these pics, but forgot to until i saw this post.

Crank
[Show spoiler]

The Crow
[Show spoiler]

Taken
[Show spoiler]

WoW Awesome job, how do they fit? What kind of paper did you use?
Old 08-13-2012, 01:08 AM   #15

Sep 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasedSPACER View Post
What are the proper dimensions to use. I would like to make some glossy slips for some of the movies I have that didn't come with slips.
These are the dimensions I used. Its a bit loose, I've yet to tighten them up(thats what she said).

[Show spoiler]
Old 08-13-2012, 03:45 AM   #16
Special Member

Jan 2010
N/A

holy crap, that looks amazing. i have tons of blu-rays w/o slipcovers and this would be an awesome project.

where do you get the movie templates?

i'd do this but i would need tons of photo paper and a photo printer (like canon pixma pro?)
Old 08-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #17

May 2009
New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxsic View Post

Crank
[Show spoiler]

The Crow
[Show spoiler]

Taken
[Show spoiler]

They look nice too, but honestly, why bag them? it's not like they are going to increase in value.. seems a bit silly that you go to the effort of making a slipcover only to seal it up.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
USA
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will519 View Post
I have a pdf file I could send you. PM me.

Toxsic, really like that Crank slipcover.
Awesome job there!!! What printer are you using?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 PM   #19
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
The Deep South

oh i know they're not going to increase in value. it's just more of a uniformity thing. all my other movies with slips are bagged so it would look a little out of place to have the custom slips just sitting on the shelf unbagged. plus it still protects them from being damaged while sliding them around on the shelves. sure i could make another one easily, but why do that? just take care of what you got first and you don't have to go through the trouble of doing it again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordCrumb View Post
They look nice too, but honestly, why bag them? it's not like they are going to increase in value.. seems a bit silly that you go to the effort of making a slipcover only to seal it up.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:36 AM   #20

Sep 2010
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureownages View Post
holy crap, that looks amazing. i have tons of blu-rays w/o slipcovers and this would be an awesome project.

where do you get the movie templates?

i'd do this but i would need tons of photo paper and a photo printer (like canon pixma pro?)
I made the slipcover template myself. I just put in the images onto the template. I used Adobe Illustrator to create everything. Quality of paper is very important particularly the stock or how heavy the paper is. Don't want to use a lightweight paper for it'll rip easily. I think I might print on vellum next. Its better quality paper but not photo paper. I personally have a Canon Pro9000 so thats what I print on. Don't ever print using color laser printers. Quality just sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite1970 View Post
Awesome job there!!! What printer are you using?
I have a Canon Pro9000.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Collectibles and Limited Editions > Slipcovers