Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Gods of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.00
13 hrs ago
Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

RED 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists

Old 10-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #181

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightstar View Post
what about additional sources right at the very end of the clip?
It doesn’t say anything anywhere about which exact source they used.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 PM   #182
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

I’m curious if they’ll do proper 4K transfer of Menace, but even more so what they’ll do with Clones and Sith. After upscaling the DIs to 4K, will they ever so slightly “regrain” them to match a new Menace transfer and/or Rogue One/The Last Jedi? Could be interesting.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:09 PM   #183
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007

My guess is Menace will remain degrained in an attempt to have it look more like Clones and Sith.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #184
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
My guess is Menace will remain degrained in an attempt to have it look more like Clones and Sith.
Oh god I hope not! It has the potential to look amazing without that nasty DNR pass.

Also, hopefully with AOTC, they'll restore the original colour timing.

Last edited by The Fallen Deity; 10-22-2019 at 05:21 PM.
Thanks given by:
HeavyHitter (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #185
Power Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
I’m curious if they’ll do proper 4K transfer of Menace, but even more so what they’ll do with Clones and Sith. After upscaling the DIs to 4K, will they ever so slightly “regrain” them to match a new Menace transfer and/or Rogue One/The Last Jedi? Could be interesting.
that would take recreating the effects in 4k cgi specifically
Old 10-22-2019, 05:55 PM   #186
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
that would take recreating the effects in 4k cgi specifically

Not any more than it would be required for any 2K upscale with CG shots (ie. it wouldn't).
Old 10-22-2019, 10:44 PM   #187
Power Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post

Not any more than it would be required for any 2K upscale with CG shots (ie. it wouldn't).
explain 2k scans for the marvels film oh yeah cgi being stuck at 2k caused the films not to be true 4k so yeah the prequels and even the special editions would need 4k rendered cgi in other words redone in 4k
Old 10-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #188
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
explain 2k scans for the marvels film oh yeah cgi being stuck at 2k caused the films not to be true 4k so yeah the prequels and even the special editions would need 4k rendered cgi in other words redone in 4k
Sorry... what?
Old 10-22-2019, 11:13 PM   #189
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
I don't see how because the movie would need to have the original camera negative sans VFX to be scanned and all 2000 VFX shots would need to be newly composited in, though where those raw VFX assets would come from is a mystery because ILM don't have the gear required to run those packages any more. The 3D version was not re-rendered for this exact reason, though John Knoll hinted that even if they could have done it it would've been very expensive and time-consuming to do as you'd basically be post-producing the movie all over again 20 years later, it's not like re-rendering an all-CG show as they've still got to combine the freshly rendered VFX with the live-action footage.

Best hope for a "true 4K" transfer of Phantom Menace is if they use one of the filmout negatives that were recorded out at the time, if handled properly it would still provide an excellent basis for a new transfer (unlike Lionsgate and their usage of IP's printed from a beat-up filmout negative). It's either that or the movie is a straight 2K upscale from the original data files, just like Clones and Sith will be.
Thanks given by:
MarekM (10-23-2019), ROSS.T.G. (10-23-2019), The Fallen Deity (10-23-2019), Vangeli (10-23-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #190
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Scotland

Tbh I'm not too fussed if it's an upscale as long as it's not DNR'ed to death like the BD.

Also gimme the theatrical cut please Disney! The podrace is way better in that version imo.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #191
Expert Member

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Also gimme the theatrical cut please Disney! The podrace is way better in that version imo.
I can live with the longer version, but CGI in additional shots is, well, not so good.
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:18 AM   #192
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Perth, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fallen Deity View Post
Tbh I'm not too fussed if it's an upscale as long as it's not DNR'ed to death like the BD -- Also gimme the theatrical cut please Disney! The podrace is way better in that version imo.
I agree, more than 2K files vs. 4K rebuild (sounds like a pipe dream from all indication/discussions) I just want the theatrical cut of TPM. The podrace is so god damn epic without the extra cheese grated onto the pizza.
Thanks given by:
The Fallen Deity (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 AM   #193
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

I was just suggesting non-CGI shots could get a lovely detail boost while digital shots would get upscaled as usual. Doubtful it’ll happen but it’d be cool.

As to the theatrical version(s), that’s very likely not happening. Disney has said before that the current versions of every movie are canonical, and just rereleased the first six on Blu-ray outside from Fox yet they’re all still the same versions.

Also a side note, I’ve been playing with Photoshop again lately and there’s a newer up-scaling method that was likely engineered with machine learning and it can keep lines sharp and even extrude texture with barely any pixel data, without creating the weird anomalies you’d usually associate with something “smart” and “AI-assisted.” Such a thing could do some insanely impressive work on 2K upscales.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:59 AM   #194
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
I was just suggesting non-CGI shots could get a lovely detail boost while digital shots would get upscaled as usual. Doubtful it’ll happen but it’d be cool.

As to the theatrical version(s), that’s very likely not happening. Disney has said before that the current versions of every movie are canonical, and just rereleased the first six on Blu-ray outside from Fox yet they’re all still the same versions.

Also a side note, I’ve been playing with Photoshop again lately and there’s a newer up-scaling method that was likely engineered with machine learning and it can keep lines sharp and even extrude texture with barely any pixel data, without creating the weird anomalies you’d usually associate with something “smart” and “AI-assisted.” Such a thing could do some insanely impressive work on 2K upscales.
Unfortunately these are modern George Lucas movies, so virtually the whole thing is one big "digital shot"

Out of more than 2000 shots in TMP only 170 had no CG at all, and yet when they did the filmout negatives they actually scanned in those non-CG shots and filmed them out anyway for the sake of continuity! So we don't even have a conformed "OCN" cut together with the true negative for those 170 shots and the filmouts for the rest. Not saying that they couldn't pull those 170 shots and slug them into the 2K upscale for the rest, but it'd be a lot of faff for upgrading, what, less than ten percent of the movie?
Thanks given by:
Vangeli (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #195
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2009

Quote:

While I agree that I'm not holding my breath for the UOT to come out, I wouldn't call the latest Blu-Ray release indicative of anything. That's just Disney milking the same HD versions they inherited in the sale as much as possible before unleashing their likely massively-improved 4K remasters. I actually thought their original reissues of the Complete Saga set and individual steelbooks were it, but they found a way to have one more go of it.

Here's my guess at this point: IF Disney plans to release the UOT, it won't be on the alleged 4K set coming next year. They have to save something to keep selling a new version after all, so down the pipeline at some point they'll do a different release, some kind of vintage set with the originals and maybe bonus material that wasn't included in the original 4K set. A ton of Star Wars fans would probably buy both.
Thanks given by:
Bobbyjoe766 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 08:57 AM   #196
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadache95 View Post
While I agree that I'm not holding my breath for the UOT to come out, I wouldn't call the latest Blu-Ray release indicative of anything. That's just Disney milking the same HD versions they inherited in the sale as much as possible before unleashing their likely massively-improved 4K remasters. I actually thought their original reissues of the Complete Saga set and individual steelbooks were it, but they found a way to have one more go of it.

Here's my guess at this point: IF Disney plans to release the UOT, it won't be on the alleged 4K set coming next year. They have to save something to keep selling a new version after all, so down the pipeline at some point they'll do a different release, some kind of vintage set with the originals and maybe bonus material that wasn't included in the original 4K set. A ton of Star Wars fans would probably buy both.

Disney will also use the newly acquired Fox archives to dig up every morsel of Star Wars goodness they can for this box set, so it is very possible that we will get to see some never before seen footage and extras that have been sitting in the Fox vault for decades.

https://starwarstime.net/rumor-4k-st...ated-for-2020/
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #197
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

These movies need a whole new scan don't they? The Blu-ray transfers are from the same ones used in the 2004 restoration?
Old 10-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #198
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
The Blu-ray transfers are from the same ones used in the 2004 restoration?
Yep.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #199
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2010
Ohio

Safe to say, unless Disney/Fox have been working in secret to make a better transfer...the original six films aren't coming to UHD anytime soon.

Digital Jabba needs to be remade a third time, plus some of the CGI X-Wings are showing their age.

Last edited by Trekkie313; 10-23-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Thanks given by:
batman2000 (10-23-2019)
Old 10-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #200
Power Member

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkie313 View Post
Safe to say, unless Disney/Fox have been working in secret to make a better transfer...the original six films aren't coming to UHD anytime soon.

Digital Jabba needs to be remade a third time, plus some of the CGI X-Wings are showing their age.
wow another person who agrees the special editions cgi needs to be upgraded thought I was the only one
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > 4K Wish Lists