Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
My Fair Lady 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96

Stagecoach (Blu-ray)
$19.53
12 hrs ago
Django 4K + Texas, Adios (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Monster Hunter 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

News of the World 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Big Fish 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.50

The Croods: A New Age 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.72
1 day ago
Elfen Lied: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99
18 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapters 1-3 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.60

Tales of the Uncanny (Blu-ray)
$14.98
18 hrs ago
Night of the Eagles (Blu-ray)
$12.99
10 hrs ago
My Hero Academia: Season Four: Part Two (Blu-ray)
$33.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old Today, 12:28 AM   #30581
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Oh, I totally agree but that’s the trend here in the U.K., people don’t seem to care. From what people say, it’s a trend in the U.S also?
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #30582
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Interesting article
Solved! Why It’s a Mistake to Mount a TV Above a Fireplace - BobVilla

Quote:
Only mount a TV above a fireplace if temperatures in that spot do not surpass 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
You may have luck with a fireplace that produces less heat, features a deep mantel, and strong blower.
  1. Tape a thermometer to the wall in the approximate center of where your flat-screen TV might hang.
  2. Then start the fireplace and let it run for several hours.
  3. Check the thermometer.
If the temperature reaches or exceeds 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the location is too hot for your TV. If the temp remains below 100 degrees Fahrenheit, the TV should be safe in that location—but you still might want to reconsider, for the reasons explained below.

Damage from a fireplace’s heat could void your TV’s warranty.

Today’s new big-screen TVs cost a pretty penny, and if yours goes on the fritz soon after you buy it, you’ll want to call a service technician to fix it. If the technician discovers signs of heat damage, the manufacturer will often refuse to pay for the repairs, even if the TV is still within the warranty period. Read the warranty’s fine print; it may specify that just the act of mounting the TV over a fireplace is enough to void its warranty.
This guy on reddit posted this image

Quote:
For those of you contemplating mounting above your fireplace.. against the advice of (almost) everyone on this sub I did it. My neck hasn’t broken, my TV hasn’t lit on fire, and it looks great IMO
As you can see its too high as even the heat of the display has no where to go bumping the low ceiling, the fireplace even with a mantle has nothing to prevent heat radiating up.
Old Today, 12:49 AM   #30583
Blu-ray Archduke

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Interesting article
Solved! Why Itís a Mistake to Mount a TV Above a Fireplace - BobVilla

This guy on reddit posted this image

As you can see its too high as even the heat of the display has no where to go bumping the low ceiling, the fireplace even with a mantle has nothing to prevent heat radiating up.
Madness.
Old Today, 04:28 AM   #30584
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
The Shady Rest Hotel

I will ask my question here as it was ignored elsewhere:

I do have a question for those of you that stream far more often than I do. I have complained about the audio quality of streamed content, but I know some of that is due to how I stream in the first place. I use the built-in apps on my Sony X900F TV, mostly Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, but my TV only supports ARC, not eARC.

Now that I have an AVR that supports Atmos, I would like to take full advantage of it and that means either buying a new TV that supports eARC or buying a dedicated streaming device that supports more audio formats. Which dedicated streaming device would be the best one to buy to get the most out of the apps that I use? I prefer one that has an ethernet connection as I made the effort to run ethernet cable to my viewing room. Is doing this worth the modest expense? Would I hear a noticeable improvement by using a dedicated streaming device over using the ARC function of my TV?
Old Today, 05:30 AM   #30585

Jan 2019
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilya View Post
I will ask my question here as it was ignored elsewhere:

I do have a question for those of you that stream far more often than I do. I have complained about the audio quality of streamed content, but I know some of that is due to how I stream in the first place. I use the built-in apps on my Sony X900F TV, mostly Vudu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, but my TV only supports ARC, not eARC.

Now that I have an AVR that supports Atmos, I would like to take full advantage of it and that means either buying a new TV that supports eARC or buying a dedicated streaming device that supports more audio formats. Which dedicated streaming device would be the best one to buy to get the most out of the apps that I use? I prefer one that has an ethernet connection as I made the effort to run ethernet cable to my viewing room. Is doing this worth the modest expense? Would I hear a noticeable improvement by using a dedicated streaming device over using the ARC function of my TV?
From what I have read the Apple TV is probably the best streaming device available. I have found Netflix, Amazon and Plex all run much smoother on this than the built in apps on my Sony A1. I would however wait to see if Apple release a new version this year, as it is long overdue now.
Old Today, 05:34 AM   #30586
Expert Member

Jun 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Stewart View Post
Uh unless you recline. Guess all those Imax screens should be shut down that have rock back seats. 3rd world problems there.

Btw got one of those fake fireplace jobs installed in tv stand. It doesn't hurt electronics at all and I have fans anyway. The back is cool to touch. Hot air blows out. Works great for me. Perfect eye level.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology