Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Doctor Who (Blu-ray)
$162.99
43 min ago
The Equalizer 3-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.55
 
The Flash 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Rudy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
 
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? - Season 4 Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$48.33
 
The Equalizer 3 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
 
Babylon 5: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$100.00
 
TerrorVision / The Video Dead (Blu-ray)
$13.99
1 day ago
Silver Bullet 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.00
 
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions: Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
 
Avatar: The Way of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 day ago
Violent Night 4K (Blu-ray)
$21.99
 
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2015, 07:17 PM   #41
seagal seagal is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
May 2013
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
Hellfighters - 8/11

I want to order that UK Circus World, but I wish there was a way to tell what the best version is, if there is any difference in them. There are no reviews or comparisons online that i can find.

I presume that the French, the U.K. and the German blu-ray have the same great master.

Iīve got the German blu-ray and the picture quality is great. But itīs a region B disc

Donīt buy the French blu-ray because I read somewhere it has forced French subtitles if you want to watch the film in English.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #42
Professor Echo Professor Echo is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Professor Echo's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita70 View Post
I recently started my John Wayne bluray collection. Only 4 so far. Hondo, How the West Was Won, The Green Berets, The Searchers. Really looking forward to getting more, especially some of his war movies like The Longest Day.

Hatari has a poor transfer? One of my favorites, that's disappointing. Can anyone expand on this?
HATARI looks terrible, one of the worst Blus I've ever seen. It might as well be in black and white the color is so washed out.

THE LONGEST DAY is also bad with heavy DNR used. The actors look like wax candles.

However, my guess is that neither one will come out in a better version anytime time soon. Paramount hasn't even released THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER yet, so I wonder if they would ever go back and redo HATARI. Maybe if they did a Wayne box set, but I still think it's unlikely. As for FOX and THE LONGEST DAY, they seem to be moving away from catalog titles. They fixed the DNR on PATTON, but there was a bigger outcry for that title than for LONGEST.

I think both titles are worth it if they aren't too expensive and there are no alternatives, but you have to set your expectations accordingly.
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 11:56 PM   #43
AgentOrange AgentOrange is offline
Blu-ray Samurai
 
Jul 2011
196
2281
69
3
10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Echo View Post
HATARI looks terrible, one of the worst Blus I've ever seen. It might as well be in black and white the color is so washed out.

THE LONGEST DAY is also bad with heavy DNR used. The actors look like wax candles.

However, my guess is that neither one will come out in a better version anytime time soon. Paramount hasn't even released THE SONS OF KATIE ELDER yet, so I wonder if they would ever go back and redo HATARI. Maybe if they did a Wayne box set, but I still think it's unlikely. As for FOX and THE LONGEST DAY, they seem to be moving away from catalog titles. They fixed the DNR on PATTON, but there was a bigger outcry for that title than for LONGEST.

I think both titles are worth it if they aren't too expensive and there are no alternatives, but you have to set your expectations accordingly.
Hondo also look absoultely terrible. Of course there might be some technical reasons for it as it was a film oddly shot in 3D. Maybe certain shots are terrible when converted to 2D - I remember discussing that with someone on here and learning the film was 3D.

But whatever the reason, I consider that one of the worst looking blu-rays I own (i've skipped out on owning Hatari and Longest Day and some of the other more famous blunders on blu-ray).
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 AM   #44
nikita70 nikita70 is offline
Senior Member
 
May 2014
Florida
433
745
Default

I don't seem to be as critical on PQ as many here, don't get me wrong everyone here shares their opinions and I'm glad, I'm not trying to tick anyone off. I'll pick up Hatari when I get it cheap. I usually pay $3 or less for my blurays. Pawn shops, thrift stores, etc.

Got Big Jake today for $3.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 12:11 AM   #45
Early Memphis Early Memphis is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
9
1207
128
3
657
Default

The Train Robbers Review up:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-T...124975/#Review
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lt. Brannigan (06-01-2015), MifuneFan (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 02:04 AM   #46
laidbacklarkin laidbacklarkin is offline
Expert Member
 
Jul 2011
Southern California
219
5725
1649
15
16
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Hondo also look absoultely terrible. Of course there might be some technical reasons for it as it was a film oddly shot in 3D. Maybe certain shots are terrible when converted to 2D - I remember discussing that with someone on here and learning the film was 3D.

But whatever the reason, I consider that one of the worst looking blu-rays I own (i've skipped out on owning Hatari and Longest Day and some of the other more famous blunders on blu-ray).
agree. it ranks as one of the top 10 worst bd transfers in my 1000+ collection. BramStoker's Dracula is also high on that list.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #47
Early Memphis Early Memphis is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
9
1207
128
3
657
Default

The Cahill U.S. Marshal Review is up:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cahil...124841/#Review
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Lt. Brannigan (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:46 PM   #48
Lt. Brannigan Lt. Brannigan is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2012
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
The Cahill U.S. Marshal Review is up:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cahil...124841/#Review
That's disappointing... I was hoping they would have treated the movie better. This had the potential to amazing.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (06-01-2015)
Old 06-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #49
Early Memphis Early Memphis is online now
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Early Memphis's Avatar
 
Feb 2012
Texas
9
1207
128
3
657
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan View Post
That's disappointing... I was hoping they would have treated the movie better. This had the potential to amazing.
Yeah, I was really hopeful after The Train Robbers review. But, I pre-ordered both, so ... just waiting ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #50
Lt. Brannigan Lt. Brannigan is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2012
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Yeah, I was really hopeful after The Train Robbers review. But, I pre-ordered both, so ... just waiting ...
Cahill is one of my all time favorite John Wayne movies, so this was quite crushing for me. I will probably still get it, just not right away.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #51
MifuneFan MifuneFan is online now
Blu-ray King
 
MifuneFan's Avatar
 
Mar 2012
New York City
14
956
69
Default

Replaced the Swedish release of Hellfighters with the domestic release from Universal

--->
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 05:14 PM   #52
CinemaScope CinemaScope is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
CinemaScope's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
London
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita70 View Post
I don't seem to be as critical on PQ as many here, don't get me wrong everyone here shares their opinions and I'm glad, I'm not trying to tick anyone off. I'll pick up Hatari when I get it cheap. I usually pay $3 or less for my blurays. Pawn shops, thrift stores, etc.

Got Big Jake today for $3.
Big Jake is a very nice looking Blu-ray, & a good western.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:31 AM   #53
grundy grundy is offline
Senior Member
 
grundy's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Ohio
110
1382
236
161
210
2066
10
37
1
Default

I just caught RKO's Tall In The Saddle in HD on Warner Archive Instant. What a firecracker of a film! Element-wise it's comparable to the early Republic 1940's JW westerns from Olive. Hoping that Warner Archive will release this on blu someday. If you haven't seen it, the Duke is great in it...

And Ella Raines. Oh Ella Raines

Last edited by grundy; 06-09-2015 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Studio
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:41 AM   #54
Lt. Brannigan Lt. Brannigan is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2012
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundy View Post
I just caught Tall In The Saddle in HD on Warner Archive Instant. What a firecracker of a film! Element-wise it's comparable to other early 1940's RKO JW westerns from Olive. Hoping that Warner Archive will release this on blu someday. If you haven't seen it, the Duke is great in it...

And Ella Raines. Oh Ella Raines
I thought Olive handled the Republic output? Did they have an RKO one mixed in that I missed?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:57 AM   #55
grundy grundy is offline
Senior Member
 
grundy's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
Ohio
110
1382
236
161
210
2066
10
37
1
Default

A goof on my part. I corrected my OP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:58 AM   #56
Lt. Brannigan Lt. Brannigan is offline
Banned
 
Jul 2012
44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundy View Post
A goof on my part. I corrected my OP.
No worries, I thought that maybe a title somehow slipped past me.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 03:01 PM   #57
Professor Echo Professor Echo is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
Professor Echo's Avatar
 
Mar 2011
2
Default

(Posted this in the Germany Forum, but thought I would add it here in case a Wayne fan doesn't visit that one).

The German BLU of CIRCUS WORLD can currently be gotten in the 3 for 20 deal at Amazon.de, which is a good deal for me, but I can't find any information anywhere regarding the transfer and whether it's the same as the UK one, which generally got favorable reviews. Also, does it have any extras?

Does anyone have any info on the German release? Thanks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #58
baheidstu baheidstu is offline
Banned
 
Jun 2012
2
36
Default

Watched the Paramount release of McLintock last night. The blu looks spectacular. I'd never seen it before because I'd only ever seen crappy PD copies of it for sale. Man, that was just a fun movie.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #59
oildude oildude is offline
Moderator
 
oildude's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
With the Ale and Quail Club on a train to Palm Beach
154
4428
212
37
Default

Regarding the posts above complaining about PQ on some of these John Wayne releases, if you do not buy a title based on user's comments here, then please contact the studio with an email or *gasp* even a letter (it isn't hard to get addresses) and let them know why you will not be buying it. They need to know why a title is losing potential sales. Otherwise, you send the wrong message. If sales are poor, they just think no one wanted the title enough to buy it on blu. The result is fewer future releases, long delays, or none at all.

I have Hondo on BD and strongly disagree with comments above that it looks terrible. How anyone can say this is beyond me. Could it be better? Maybe, but it is pleasing and true to the original source elements. Grain is present, softness due to optical effects and fades are there (and expected in a 50s film), details are rich, and the overall dusty color palette is spiced up with bright colored clothing that pops. Dupe elements may have been used in some scenes, and there are places where it may have suffered depth degradation and detail loss from a conversion from 3-D to 2-D (opinions vary on this) but if so then that would have been true on its 2-D theatrical release as well. Overall, I think it looks wonderful and on par with other transfers of classic mid-50s films available on Blu-ray. Waaay better than the DVD. It most definitely is not so awful looking that anyone should be fearful of buying it.

Hondo is one of my favorite westerns. Along with The Searchers, Shane, and High Noon, it is one of the top westerns and best films of the 50s in my opinion. The story is gritty and fierce, with outstanding performances. Watching it reminds me how much Robert Aldrich owes a debt to it in his later 1970s more visceral and grim take on a similar story in Ulzana's Raid (another favorite western I eagerly await on Blu-ray). Hondo is one of Wayne's best, and there is nothing about the PQ that should frighten anyone away. It also has an outstanding set of special features that impressed even me, who is not ordinarily a features guy, but I loved watching the extras on this Blu-ray.
  Reply With Quote
Thanks given by:
Richard--W (08-22-2018)
Old 07-19-2015, 05:59 PM   #60
Maggot Maggot is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
Maggot's Avatar
 
Oct 2009
United States
465
1231
52
79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oildude View Post
Regarding the posts above complaining about PQ on some of these John Wayne releases, if you do not buy a title based on user's comments here, then please contact the studio with an email or *gasp* even a letter (it isn't hard to get addresses) and let them know why you will not be buying it. They need to know why a title is losing potential sales. Otherwise, you send the wrong message. If sales are poor, they just think no one wanted the title enough to buy it on blu. The result is fewer future releases, long delays, or none at all.

I have Hondo on BD and strongly disagree with comments above that it looks terrible. How anyone can say this is beyond me. Could it be better? Maybe, but it is pleasing and true to the original source elements. Grain is present, softness due to optical effects and fades are there (and expected in a 50s film), details are rich, and the overall dusty color palette is spiced up with bright colored clothing that pops. Dupe elements may have been used in some scenes, and there are places where it may have suffered depth degradation and detail loss from a conversion from 3-D to 2-D (opinions vary on this) but if so then that would have been true on its 2-D theatrical release as well. Overall, I think it looks wonderful and on par with other transfers of classic mid-50s films available on Blu-ray. Waaay better than the DVD. It most definitely is not so awful looking that anyone should be fearful of buying it.

Hondo is one of my favorite westerns. Along with The Searchers, Shane, and High Noon, it is one of the top westerns and best films of the 50s in my opinion. The story is gritty and fierce, with outstanding performances. Watching it reminds me how much Robert Aldrich owes a debt to it in his later 1970s more visceral and grim take on a similar story in Ulzana's Raid (another favorite western I eagerly await on Blu-ray). Hondo is one of Wayne's best, and there is nothing about the PQ that should frighten anyone away. It also has an outstanding set of special features that impressed even me, who is not ordinarily a features guy, but I loved watching the extras on this Blu-ray.
The problem isn't as simple as that. The top two big reasons: One, Studios are not going back to the OCN and doing a frame by frame restoration on each title. Two, the average consumer doesn't have the money to pay for the increased price of Blu-rays if above said work was done to at least the majority of back catalog titles. The "early on" cases of people stating they don't see the difference or not enough of one from DVD to Blu-ray is part in parcel the problem of not going back to the absolute best source(OCN if possible) and doing a complete frame by frame restoration. There are other equal side factors such as people watching movies, more and more, on what I would call "lesser" devices such as tablets and laptops. I have known several people who I have asked "why do they watch a movie on anything short of a large TV screen" and their resounding response is that they prefer the convenience over size. They tend to be out and about more often than that of film collectors, so portable devices get the lions share of viewing. The average consumer may enjoy "going to the movies", but they are not as passionate about movies as the collector. And the collector is.....more and more......becoming a niche phenomenon, although I suppose the collector always was. The whole "VHS for the vast public consumption" and the "laser disc for niche collector consumption".
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:25 PM.