Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Aquaman 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.69

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Men in Black 3 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.22
1 hr ago
The Stewardesses 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Blade Runner 2049 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Amityville Horror Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Dolphin Tale 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.61

Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$20.14

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice 3D (Blu-ray)
$17.97

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion

Old 03-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
Paramount Paramount no longer releasing 3D blu-rays

It appears that Paramount in no longer releasing 3D blu-rays, according to a post I read in another thread. Somebody asked Paramount in an email about an upcoming title in 3D and they confirmed that they are no longer releasing 3D blu-rays. This seems to be true as Bumblebee has no 3D blu-ray release anywhere worldwide.

For this reason I no longer support buying discs from Paramount. People should have a choice. Sometimes I prefer UHD and sometimes I prefer 3D. It depends on the technical merits of each presentation. But to drop an active format that people are still supporting? Do they think everyone has just thrown away their 3D TVs? My 2016 3D TV isn't going anywhere for a long time hopefully.

I will continue to support the studios that give us a choice. Disney is getting close to being on my black list too, but at least they are still releasing 3D in the UK. I'm sure nobody cares an iota, but I cannot support a company that thinks so little of their customers as to kill a format they know many are still using and supporting. They clearly have an agenda to kill 3D and push UHD. The harder they push, the more people will push back. I feel dirty even supporting UHD as much as I do, considering their treatment of 3D.

The funny thing is, when the studios were supporting 3D/4k combos for a brief period last year, I was a big supporter of it,a nd bought several. There have been several titles lately that I have wanted both 3D and 4k, but unless I import a France 3D/4k combo, I would have to buy both separate US releases. Instead, I buy 3D and skip UHD, when I'd pay more for the combo if they game me the choice to.

Now it looks like Paramount isn't even giving me the option of buying 3D at all.

Aquaman just got a US 3D release from Warner (Thank you!!). Yet it's the only format without the IMAX ratio!! WHY?!?

And why does France continue to get 3D/4k combos and not the US? I'm sick of this UHD agenda in the US. It's about to start saving me a lot of money because I'm going to buying a lot less discs if this is how it's going to continue. Which is a shame because I have shelves and shelves of discs from DVD to blu-ray to 3D to UHD, box sets and special editions from all regions, and it would be nice to continue supporting the studios. But they don't seem to care one bit about the consumer.

Yet they continue to sell DVDs. When was the last time you saw a standard definition TV in a retail store?
Thanks given by:
Frank169 (05-23-2019), Joe D. (03-26-2019), malcolmar (03-26-2019), mredman (03-26-2019), nc88keyz (03-26-2019), Rek84 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 04:42 AM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Very good points made, thanks.

For Paramount, does that include all territories outside the US also?
But yeah, that stinks they're currently not offering Bumblebee in 3D blu ray so we could experience the 3D at home, since stronger stereo 3D can be such an immersive aspect of a film.

Paramount, please offer blu ray 3Ds once again with the next 3D release, to increase your sales and satisfy your loyal customers (if they have any representative reading this).
Thanks given by:
DarrinG (03-28-2019), malcolmar (03-26-2019), mar3o (03-27-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:26 AM   #3

Jul 2012

Most valid points, particularly about dvd releases. Yeah because everyone still has a dvd combo television between 13" and 26"

F78ck paramount, what a stupid stupid decision, to abandon millions and millions of people that have 3D displays from 2007 ( the very first Mitsubishi dlps that were 3D ready to 2016 when the last 3d displays were sold, Hell the z9d or zed9 overseas was just discontinued in the last quarter of 2018!!!!
Thanks given by:
malcolmar (03-26-2019), mar3o (03-27-2019), mredman (03-28-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 06:37 AM   #4

Jul 2017
england

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post
Most valid points, particularly about dvd releases. Yeah because everyone still has a dvd combo television between 13" and 26"

F78ck paramount, what a stupid stupid decision, to abandon millions and millions of people that have 3D displays from 2007 ( the very first Mitsubishi dlps that were 3D ready to 2016 when the last 3d displays were sold, Hell the z9d or zed9 overseas was just discontinued in the last quarter of 2018!!!!
As well as all the ps vr owners out there
Old 03-26-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

Mar 2017

Yeah, if Bumblebee didn't get one, it is over. Completely.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2009

Is it possible they might license Hondo to someone who could release it in 3D?
Old 03-26-2019, 07:05 AM   #7

Mar 2013

Truly sad news. I was hoping for a 3D Blu-ray release from Rahul but it looks like that will not happen. As you all know who are on these boards, good 3D is simply AMAZING. So sad there is such an effort out there to kill it. Again, bravo Warner Brothers for keeping it alive here in the US.
Thanks given by:
Joe D. (03-26-2019)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:09 AM   #8

Feb 2015
London, England

Paramount have NEVER understood 3D. Their decision to no longer release 3D blu-rays means that I won't be buying any of their future 3D movies at all and they won't get any of my money. I don't think I'll be buying any of their 2D movies either.

As has been pointed out, Paramount are still releasing films on DVD despite standard definition TVs having been off the shelves for far longer than 3D TVs. What they don't realise is that their 4K discs are just as worthless to a true 3D fan as their DVDs are.

Like it or not, everyone who is buying or has bought Mission Impossible Fallout and Bumblebee in 4K or 2K is also partly responsible for contributing to Paramount dropping 3D on disc. The message you send to Paramount by buying these titles is that you don't care if 3D films only get released in 2D, you are still happy to buy them.

I left one star reviews for these worthless titles on Amazon but those reviews have been mysteriously disappearing so I would encourage you all to leave negative reviews of your own, as clearly they are being noticed.
Thanks given by:
8traxrule (03-26-2019), Frank169 (05-23-2019), Joe D. (03-27-2019), mar3o (03-27-2019), mredman (03-28-2019), Paul H (03-26-2019), wildbill722 (03-29-2019)
Old 03-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011

Nvidia just announced they're dropping 3D Vision support from their drivers, so yet more proof that the industry as a whole has an agenda to kill 3D.

No more 3D gaming I guess.

At this rate I'll be back to holding antique stereoscopic viewers to my head just to experience some 3D still images for my 3D fix, or looking at anaglyph 3D images on my monitor with my old anaglyph glasses.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:00 AM   #10
Special Member

Jan 2014

Other than mission impossible and transformers, what other “blockbusters” does Paramount produce that we would like to see in 3D? The next terminator maybe? There’s just not much, IMO.
Thanks given by:
mredman (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 04:13 AM   #11
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008

yeah thank god their studio is also in the toilet financially. ha! good riddance Paramount hope you go down under with your franchises nobody want to see.
Old 03-28-2019, 04:55 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
Nvidia just announced they're dropping 3D Vision support from their drivers, so yet more proof that the industry as a whole has an agenda to kill 3D.

No more 3D gaming I guess.

At this rate I'll be back to holding antique stereoscopic viewers to my head just to experience some 3D still images for my 3D fix, or looking at anaglyph 3D images on my monitor with my old anaglyph glasses.
This makes me really really sad. Ugh.
I've been enjoying 3D gaming soooo much. I still have other games I need to get to that I want to try in 3D.
I'm not ready to let go....
Thanks given by:
mar3o (03-29-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #13
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
T.A.R.D.I.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
Paramount have NEVER understood 3D. Their decision to no longer release 3D blu-rays means that I won't be buying any of their future 3D movies at all and they won't get any of my money. I don't think I'll be buying any of their 2D movies either.

As has been pointed out, Paramount are still releasing films on DVD despite standard definition TVs having been off the shelves for far longer than 3D TVs. What they don't realise is that their 4K discs are just as worthless to a true 3D fan as their DVDs are.

Like it or not, everyone who is buying or has bought Mission Impossible Fallout and Bumblebee in 4K or 2K is also partly responsible for contributing to Paramount dropping 3D on disc. The message you send to Paramount by buying these titles is that you don't care if 3D films only get released in 2D, you are still happy to buy them.

I left one star reviews for these worthless titles on Amazon but those reviews have been mysteriously disappearing so I would encourage you all to leave negative reviews of your own, as clearly they are being noticed.
Correct....Paramount has received the message from the general public. If they thought there was money to be made in 3D, they’d release them. And the reason they don’t is because the people at home don’t want it.

Do you know how small of a drop in a small puddle on the hot sun we 3D supporters are? It’s just the reality. Enjoy it while you got it
Thanks given by:
ploog (04-01-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 08:27 AM   #14
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by the13thman View Post
I'm sorry but saying things like this is just silly.

I have bought Mission: Impossible Fallout on UHD. Haven't seen Bumblebee yet but if I like the movie, I'll buy the UHD also. Trolls and Hotel Transylvania 3 are two other titles that come to mind that sadly weren't given a 3D home release yet I bought on UHD.

This doesn't make me "partly responsible for contributing to studios dropping 3D" nor does it "send out a message that I don't care if 3D movies only get released in 2D". Not in the slightest. The only ones responsible are the studios and TV manufacturers.

I buy UHD to support the format and because I want those damn movies. I would have bought a 3D version as well (like I always do) but unfortunately, due to the decision that was made a long time ago, there aren't any for those particular titles.

People can go on their "anti 2D/4K" rant all they want, but it makes zero sense and ultimately won't make a difference anyway. IMHO it's just as ignorant as the 3D bashing I sometimes still come across in the 4K, regular 2D Blu-ray and the movie sections here on this forum.

To say I was very, very disappointed when I learned 3D was not part of the UHD specs (I still am! ) is an understatement. And even more so when it became clear the industry decided in slowly fazing out 3D. But taking this out on or even blaming the UHD format just doesn't make any sense and is uncalled for. Let's just hope the next technology of (8K?) TVs will "bring back" 3D in one way or the other.... I'm hoping for glasses free 3D tech.

In the meantime though, it's 3D and 4K for me as long as possible!

Thanks given by:
levcore (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #15
Special Member

Jan 2016
Melbourne

saw the death of 3d coming when roadshow and disney started clearencing them with em being $15 each, probably coz they are 3d only
Old 03-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
yeah thank god their studio is also in the toilet financially. ha! good riddance Paramount hope you go down under with your franchises nobody want to see.
Yes hopefully thousands upon thousands of people will lose their jobs, wouldn't that be wonderful.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:25 PM   #17
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
Yes hopefully thousands upon thousands of people will lose their jobs, wouldn't that be wonderful.
Hi levcore,

Why, you've got a heart after all!

Only teasing my buddy.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi levcore,

Why, you've got a heart after all!

Only teasing my buddy.
I have when it comes to animals, people less so! A studio going under would be very bad news for not only the employees but fans of cinema too, nothing good would come of it so it annoys me when I see such childish hyperbolic reactions to a studio not releasing a movie on 3D Blu Ray.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2015
Bronx, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I have when it comes to animals, people less so! A studio going under would be very bad news for not only the employees but fans of cinema too, nothing good would come of it so it annoys me when I see such childish hyperbolic reactions to a studio not releasing a movie on 3D Blu Ray.
Hi levcore,

We've got more in common beyond 3D than many might think. Though I understand mred was only getting out his frustration.
Thanks given by:
levcore (03-28-2019)
Old 03-28-2019, 01:49 PM   #20
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D. View Post
Hi levcore,

We've got more in common beyond 3D than many might think. Though I understand mred was only getting out his frustration.
That's literally all he ever does, he's going to give himself a heart attack if he doesn't calm down!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D News and General Discussion