Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
9 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
9 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
17 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
19 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
9 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports > Sports Polls

View Poll Results: Is this the WORST call in Baseball History?
Yes 37 72.55%
No 14 27.45%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #81
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Isn't it pretty rare if it is less than 3 hours? Seems like they always drag.. I wonder what the average is?

A dude can spend a couple of minutes frolicking around the batter box between each pitch as well.. They need an hour glass on that mother effer, okay, 2 hours glasses, one for the pitcher and one for the hitter.
I read somewhere that in 2008 the average game lenth was around 3 hours 5 minutes. It's probably been on a steady decline for a few years as power numbers have diminished. I believe back in the 80's the average game was more like 2.5 hours or less.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:12 AM   #82
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadFL View Post
Some of my best baseball memories were Greg Maddux in his prime. He'd throw 90 pitch complete games lasting barely 2 hours like clockwork. Thankfully pitching does seem to be making a comeback these days.
While I wasn't a Cubs fan, I use to love watching him pitch.....until he went to the Braves. Oh God.....their "ohhhhh ohhhh ohhh oh" chant just got stuck in my head. Mark Buehrle also does a great job at keeping a faster-paced game, even though he's having an awful season so far.

I wonder how the oldtimers think about how the game has changed, especially how pampered some batters get when they step into the box.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #83
Banned

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Maybe it is just the old school baseball fan inside of me, but I don't feel the intense need for instant replay like some of you guys do. Every time something like this happens, which really isn't as often as though it may seem, people call out for instant replay. Why? There will be missed calls. There are missed calls in football (pass interference penalties putting balls at the one yard line). There are missed calls in hockey (penalties putting teams shorthanded, offsides calls depriving teams of scoring opportunities). While nobody ever likes it, it is a part of the game. We don't need a machine behind the plate judging balls or strikes, and umpires make the right calls on the basepaths 99.9% of the time. Joyce will miss a call that close probably once out of every 100,000 times he sees it, I just think it is terribly unfortunate that it happened in this situation, and everyone will move on.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #84
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelcity24 View Post
Maybe it is just the old school baseball fan inside of me, but I don't feel the intense need for instant replay like some of you guys do. Every time something like this happens, which really isn't as often as though it may seem, people call out for instant replay. Why? There will be missed calls. There are missed calls in football (pass interference penalties putting balls at the one yard line). There are missed calls in hockey (penalties putting teams shorthanded, offsides calls depriving teams of scoring opportunities). While nobody ever likes it, it is a part of the game. We don't need a machine behind the plate judging balls or strikes, and umpires make the right calls on the basepaths 99.9% of the time. Joyce will miss a call that close probably once out of every 100,000 times he sees it, I just think it is terribly unfortunate that it happened in this situation, and everyone will move on.
Two challenges a game won't even add 5 minutes to the length of the game. It's not THAT much to ask for limited replay.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #85
Blu-ray Champion

May 2008
Isla Nublar

I'm one of the few that think instant replay in baseball is a terrible idea, and it has nothing to do with slowing the game down.

It works in football because it's played one play at a time. After the play is over, all the players stop moving. The challengeable plays have determinable outcomes.

In hockey it works because after a goal, the players stop moving. The goal either counts or it doesn't, it's very straightforward.

In baseball, the play that is being questioned still has consequences after the fact.

What happens on a ball trapped by an outfielder when there are runners on base? If it's ruled to be a trap, where do the runners go? Do you automatically make them score? What if the outfielder would've been able to throw them out? Do you make them stay put? None of these options are the obvious choice, and none of them seem fair.

What happens if an outfielder makes a diving catch and hits the ground so hard he's unable to get up? If it's ruled an out but overturned upon a replay showing it hit the ground first, where does the batter end up? Second? Third? Inside-the-park HR? Is the solution completely arbitrary?

Ground rule doubles for balls that bounce over the wall makes sense, because in most cases, for a majority of MLB players, it would've been a double. The speedier guys sometimes get robbed of a triple, but they're still in scoring position, and it doesn't happen enough to really be a cause for concern.

Instant replays on live balls creates a mess, which is probably why it's only being used for home runs (since it's obvious what happens to everyone involved in either scenario, whether it's a foul ball or a HR... there's no grey area for what to do with the runners or the batter).

I think Galarraga should be credited with a perfect game, and the instant replay rules should be left alone.

Last edited by toef; 06-04-2010 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM   #86
Banned

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Two challenges a game won't even add 5 minutes to the length of the game. It's not THAT much to ask for limited replay.
Yeah really it has absolutely nothing to do with time. Baseball is a long game, I have all the time in the world when I'm watching baseball. I see it as completely unnecessary. Yes, there may be one or two calls a game that could go either way, or may be incorrect, so what? People don't complain about instant replay not being there until something terrible like this call happens. Calls that impact a major accomplishment like this one don't even occur every year, hell maybe not even every ten years. Again, maybe that is just the old fashioned baseball fan in me, but America's favorite past time has flourished for so many years without instant replay. I don't see any urgent need for that to change.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:44 AM   #87
Banned

Apr 2010
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by toef View Post
\I think Galarraga should be credited with a perfect game, and the instant replay rules should be left alone.
Now that is something that I agree with. Galarraga, even though he did get a Corvette today , would get his perfect game, and Joyce would get some relief from having to deal with his mistake. It really would be a win win for everyone.

Last edited by steelcity24; 06-04-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 04:13 AM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Santa Cruz, California
Send a message via AIM to brettallica

Quote:
I'm one of the few that think instant replay in baseball is a terrible idea, and it has nothing to do with slowing the game down.

It works in football because it's played one play at a time. After the play is over, all the players stop moving. The challengeable plays have determinable outcomes.

In hockey it works because after a goal, the players stop moving. The goal either counts or it doesn't, it's very straightforward.

In baseball, the play that is being questioned still has consequences after the fact.

What happens on a ball trapped by an outfielder when there are runners on base? If it's ruled to be a trap, where do the runners go? Do you automatically make them score? What if the outfielder would've been able to throw them out? Do you make them stay put? None of these options are the obvious choice, and none of them seem fair.

What happens if an outfielder makes a diving catch and hits the ground so hard he's unable to get up? If it's ruled an out but overturned upon a replay showing it hit the ground first, where does the batter end up? Second? Third? Inside-the-park HR? Is the solution completely arbitrary?

Ground rule doubles for balls that bounce over the wall makes sense, because in most cases, for a majority of MLB players, it would've been a double. The speedier guys sometimes get robbed of a triple, but they're still in scoring position, and it doesn't happen enough to really be a cause for concern.

Instant replays on live balls creates a mess, which is probably why it's only being used for home runs (since it's obvious what happens to everyone involved in either scenario, whether it's a foul ball or a HR... there's no grey area for what to do with the runners or the batter).

I think Galarraga should be credited with a perfect game, and the instant replay rules should be left alone.
An old-schooler baseballer right here. I pretty much feel the same way. There are only a few situations where instant replay would really work in baseball. I posted something on the previous page about it, but you nailed the details as to why they shouldn't replay everything in baseball.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #89
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Quote:
"Everything" isn't challenged in the NFL. Each coach only has so many challenges per game. No reason that kind of limited replay can't be applied to MLB.
Ok, first, I'm actually an umpire so I have some sort of legitimacy & credentials to say that.

I do not want instant replay because then everything will be challenged because a coach is angry because his team is sucking. We don't need balls, strikes, and safe/out calls challenged because a coach is pissed. Teof summed up everything perfectly.

With that said, clearly the ump ****ed up the perfect game call, but oh well. It's just a game. A game where people get paid ridiculous amounts of money to play.

Last edited by anomynous; 06-07-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 02:52 AM   #90
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:

Well that is one of the most sensible posts I've read in awhile. Can't really disagree with anything. Soem of those situations clearly wouldn't work with instant replay. You've convinced me.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #91
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
CT Shoreline

I think that the only reason this is being considered the worst call of all time, is purely based on the context of the play... final out of a potential perfect game. The call was actually fairly close if you ask me. I have seen far worse calls in much more insignificant spots. There have probably been a few hundred worse calls than this in MLB history. That said, I do wish MLB would overturn the call and give the kid what he deserves.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Dagobah

I voted yes. Can't believe the ump made that call and cost the guy a perfect game.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:08 PM   #93
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2009
Daytona Beach, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Atlas View Post
I think that the only reason this is being considered the worst call of all time, is purely based on the context of the play... final out of a potential perfect game. The call was actually fairly close if you ask me. I have seen far worse calls in much more insignificant spots. There have probably been a few hundred worse calls than this in MLB history. That said, I do wish MLB would overturn the call and give the kid what he deserves.
For anyone thinking this play was the worst ever I have to agree with the winner of worst call ever from the ESPN fan list. The Chuck Knoblauch "tag" out of Offerman in the 1999 ALCS was one of the bigget farces I've ever seen in pro sports. Look at the pic on this link and you'll the tag was literally a mile away.

http://espn.go.com/page2/s/list/readers/worstcalls.html

As a Braves fan I also remember the play in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series where Ron Gant was called out on a pickoff play because Twins 1B Hrbek literally threw Gant off the bag. Braves lost the game in extra innings.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > Sports > Sports Polls