Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99
9 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27
6 hrs ago
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23
9 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34
17 hrs ago
Stephen King's The Stand (Blu-ray)
$31.99
19 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$35.19

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
9 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Evil Dead 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Automotive

Old 05-18-2015, 03:01 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Default Audi A1 in America?

I was driving home from work today and saw an Audi A1 driving the opposite way. Audi doesn't sell this model in America, so I was wondering how in the hell is it on American soil? It's really hard, or next to impossible, to import new cars here from Europe that aren't sold here due to many laws and regulations. Anyone have any thoughts on how it possibly could be over here?
Old 05-18-2015, 03:11 AM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsocal View Post
I was driving home from work today and saw an Audi A1 driving the opposite way. Audi doesn't sell this model in America, so I was wondering how in the hell is it on American soil? It's really hard, or next to impossible, to import new cars here from Europe that aren't sold here due to many laws and regulations. Anyone have any thoughts on how it possibly could be over here?
possibly a test drive for the emissions or whatever the issue is with european cars to see if they can make it legal to sell here.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:37 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
Lake county, Indiana. Opposite end of Gary...

The A1 is the same drivetrain as the Golf/Rabbit/Jetta/Beetle/A3.

Could have sworn the A1 was sold in Canada and Mexico. Which means...you can drive it in the US.(well, technically speaking, based on international laws and "foreign driving on license". As long as the car you are in is registered anywhere in the world, you can drive it...anywhere in the world. I've actually seen a license plate from the United Arab Emirates in downtown Chicago. On a Lambo, no less)

(Just looked it up. The Audi A1(Volkswagen CrossFox) is sold both in Canada and Mexico. They "can be" US imported once the manufacturers warranty is over.

Why are they not sold here? Dumbass American love for the automatic transmission.)

Edit:

Factoid tidbit. Paul Allen(the other Apple dude...) imported a Porche 959. Argued with the US government for years about registering it in the US, based on similarities with the 911. No dice. He simply bought a house in Germany, flew home with the license plates.

The US finally relented when Allen and Ford(as in Mustang and Taurus) designed computer modeling for crash testing. Now, the US allows one "body frame" of a vehicle(even if that frame covers more than one, like the Dodge Dart, Jeep Cherokee and the upcoming US sold Alfa Romeo) to cover all varitions. Allen then went back and used that program to prove if the 911 could pass crash testing...

Last edited by schan1269; 05-18-2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
The A1 is the same drivetrain as the Golf/Rabbit/Jetta/Beetle/A3.

Could have sworn the A1 was sold in Canada and Mexico. Which means...you can drive it in the US.(well, technically speaking, based on international laws and "foreign driving on license". As long as the car you are in is registered anywhere in the world, you can drive it...anywhere in the world. I've actually seen a license plate from the United Arab Emirates in downtown Chicago. On a Lambo, no less)

(Just looked it up. The Audi A1(Volkswagen CrossFox) is sold both in Canada and Mexico. They "can be" US imported once the manufacturers warranty is over.

Why are they not sold here? Dumbass American love for the automatic transmission.)

Edit:

Factoid tidbit. Paul Allen(the other Apple dude...) imported a Porche 959. Argued with the US government for years about registering it in the US, based on similarities with the 911. No dice. He simply bought a house in Germany, flew home with the license plates.

The US finally relented when Allen and Ford(as in Mustang and Taurus) designed computer modeling for crash testing. Now, the US allows one "body frame" of a vehicle(even if that frame covers more than one, like the Dodge Dart, Jeep Cherokee and the upcoming US sold Alfa Romeo) to cover all varitions. Allen then went back and used that program to prove if the 911 could pass crash testing...
I'm pretty sure that the A1 shares its platform and drivetrain with the VW Polo, not the Golf. The A1 is a "supermini", whereas the Golf is a "compact". Are you sure about being able to import a car that was never sold here once the warranty was over? Because I thought there was a 25 year law regarding importing said cars. That's why Nissan Skyline GT-R's (usually R33's and R34's) were always confiscated here in the states....because it was illegal to have them. I do remember seeing years ago a few Rovers driving around the L.A. area. I didn't know what they were back then, but after watching Top Gear I realized what they were.

I highly doubt that the sole reason the A1 isn't sold here is simply because of the love of auto transmissions. There are more complicated reasons a car usually isn't sold somewhere specific. Mostly, politics and regulations are the deciding factor. And honestly, the price point of the A1 would get in the way of the Golf, IMO. Looking at what it costs in 's, it would cost roughly $25,000 here in America. That's right in the meat of Golf pricing, even though it's a smaller car (about the size of a Fiat 500).
Old 05-19-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013

2002 the legalities changed. Since 2002 emissions standards in Canada have matched the US.

If the car you want to import has an engine and transmission available in another car sold here...then, yes, it can be imported.

Mexico since 2007 has matched. Nissan sells a SUV the size of the Rogue, based on the prior Exterra...in Mexico. You see them all over Arizona, New Mexico and Texas(individual states can make exceptions and certain tag requirements are made...like "farm use").

The trick is whether the car already has a US EPA tag(most cars sold in Canada do). If the individual car you choose does not. You cannot alter the exhaust till after the warranty is over...and you cannot check its emissions status prior to then...cause you can't make changes anyway.

Because of the Canadian loophole. If a car is imported there first(in many cases Canada rules is 8 years old for Euro and Japanese)...then registered there a full 3 years, then it considered a Canadian car...and importable to the US.

There are Skyline legally here...that went to Canada first.

Last edited by schan1269; 05-19-2015 at 04:41 PM.
Thanks given by:
volcomsocal (05-19-2015)
Old 05-19-2015, 04:49 PM   #6
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcomsocal View Post
I'm pretty sure that the A1 shares its platform and drivetrain with the VW Polo, not the Golf. The A1 is a "supermini", whereas the Golf is a "compact".
The Audi A1 shares the VW A0 PQ25 platform, that's used by the SEAT Ibiza, Volkswagen Polo, Audi A1, Škoda Rapid, and the Volkswagen Vento.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:56 PM   #7
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
Factoid tidbit. Paul Allen(the other Apple dude...)
You mean "the other Microsoft dude."
Old 05-19-2015, 05:31 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
You mean "the other Microsoft dude."
I thought Paul Allen was Apple...oh well.

That is why I don't run my 401/stocks...

(would be surprised if the Indian made Vento sold in Mexico didn't already have a US EPA tag on the 1.6 and diesel. Cause if it does, you could import it.)

Last edited by schan1269; 05-19-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Automotive