Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$90.99

Ultraman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$21.72

Brightburn 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
The Hills Have Eyes: Part II (Blu-ray)
$33.03
8 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Colin Baker: Complete Season Two (Blu-ray)
$45.86
16 hrs ago
The Three Flavors Cornetto Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.27

Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$97.23

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$10.99
22 hrs ago
The Omen Collection (Blu-ray)
$61.34

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.64

Doctor Who: The Complete David Tennant Collection (Blu-ray)
$71.69

Ingmar Bergman's Cinema (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Automotive

Old 08-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX
Default WRX or Golf R

These are the two cars I'm leaning towards as my next vehicle. I want something with power and sportiness but also the convience of a daily driver. I'm not interested in a manual transmission so the STI was eliminated early on for me...sorry I'm a poser. However, the WRX Limited was something I was leaning towards until I read a little more of the Golf R. I guess my question is what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of each. I'm leaning towards the R because after adding options to the WRX it's almost as much as a base R. Also my wife is wanting me to get an SUV and it's more of a compromise if I go with a hatch instead of a sedan. Sorry I felt like my knowledge of cars was good but reading the depth of knowledge exhibited in this forum makes me feel like a complete newb.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
Alabama

if i was the one choosing between these 2, i'd go with the subie. i've always been a fan of it. even having driven a golf gti, i'd prefer the wrx. granted the gti was a fun car to drive, even if it didn't have awd; i'd still pick the wrx.

but to not get a manual in a car like that? i just couldn't. but, it's gonna be your car so you can get it however you want.

either way, make sure you drive both of them plenty to get a good feel for each one. do some stop/start driving, do some speed driving (within reason), do some maneuvering, do some brake testing, do it all. even if you have to drive each one several times before your decision, i think it would be well worth it.

and i know you didn't mention color. but if i got the wrx, it'd most definitely be subaru blue. and if i got the golf, it'd be silver (or white). both of those cars look so good in those respective colors.

good luck with whichever one you choose. and have fun making the choice, lol.

Last edited by sk33tr; 09-05-2017 at 02:26 AM.
Thanks given by:
Omegaice (01-04-2018), Scarriere (12-29-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Nov 2008
San Jose, Ca USAwesome!

I have a feeling you're going to have a lot of fun with this decision! I don't know anything about cars. I simply know what I find appealing to the eye. Bet both cars will be a lot of fun to drive.

You mentioned an SUV and it made me think of the Volvo commercials I've seen lately for one of their SUVs. Quite nice.
Old 10-16-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

It looks like my quest for a new car has been expedited by a deer. I hit a deer, or rather a deer went Bobby Boucher on my driver's side on my way to work the other morning. I went back to make sure it wasn't in the road but it had ran into the woods. It took my mirror (leaving a huge hole in my door) , shattered my door handle, and left a ginormous dent in my door and back panel. I can open the door from the inside but not the outside. I only have liability, something I decided roughly 8 years ago after I paid off the car. At this point I don't really care about repairing it since it would cost more than what the car is worth (08 Tiburon GS). I have one student loan I should have paid off by late December, early January and I might get a new car then.

As far as colors, the WRX I want is definitely the classic WR Blue like sk33tr mentioned. A close 2nd is red. However when I think of red I still think of the Lancer Evolution. There's a 2017 blue WRX about 3 hours from me and within my budget however I'm not sure if I should just wait for the 2018. The main thing about the 18 I like is the mounting points for a roof rack.

I like the white Golf R and the red Golf R. There's a red 2017 Golf R DSG in stock about 2 hours away from me that I've been anxiously eyeing.

Either way, my state inspection expires 8/18 on my current car so I want a new car before then. I should have one early 18 if nothing comes up.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:16 AM   #5

Dec 2017

The new WRX auto has a CVT. It is another factor to consider.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:30 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2010
Newark, DE

I kind of like both of the cars i would compare and contrast between the two of them to see which one has more positives or negatives etc.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:58 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

So peeps, it's been a while but last night at the dealership I settled for a 2018 GTI SE. I began leaning towards the GTI simply because that's what I could afford. I'll post some pics in the coming days. Thanks for the input!
Thanks given by:
RustinCohle (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 10:32 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

I wish I still had my GTI. My wallet thanks me for not having it though. I think I put about $8,000 into it when I had it. Sold off everything and put it back to stock before trading it in and only recouped about $4,000. Oh well.
Thanks given by:
AeroK (06-05-2018)
Old 06-05-2018, 06:52 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
DFW TX

Took some pics today. So basically I went to the dealership unprepared. I had been pre-qualified by my bank however I didn't have the offer letter with me. We went to the mall and we decided to drive through the lot and see what was in stock. I saw a GTI S on the dealer website in Great Falls Green that I wanted to see in person but didn't see it on the lot. Personally, I liked the color because it seems to be not as common. We talked to the salesman and apparently someone was given the green GTI for an extended test drive...like a week! So the other color I liked was Tornado Red and White Silver Metallic. The red wasn't available in DSG and the white silver had a recall. I settled on Dark Iron Blue after they knocked off another thousand for not having the color that I wanted. I would have preferred an S however I was open to the SE. However, I thought the SE had leather seats standard, but apparently it's only an option and my SE has the classic plaid cloth seats. Not a problem for me but leather would have been nice. Currently I have no modification plans since this is my new daily driver. Later on I might do something like an aftermarket exhaust, coilovers, and wheels but that's about it.

Thanks given by:
RustinCohle (06-06-2018)
Old 06-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2016

I miss those seats. I could never get another automatic though. I had one for about eight months and then had to trade it in. I couldn’t stand driving it. Standard for life.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Automotive