Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$26.78

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

X-Men: Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.98

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 01-24-2019, 05:06 AM   #401

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
The new Blu-ray to the 1995 movie is slightly different but overall very similar to the past Japanese release. The UHD is lovely though, and to me it's worth getting the UHD release with new Blu-ray to have it for the future. Audio mix is the same I believe but all audio tracks are now 24-bit lossless, previously the English track was 16-bit.

As for Innocence the older Blu-ray releases could be considered better, unless you want the new audio mix. Dunno about the difference between absolute or Korean versions, though, and haven't tried the new Blu-ray myself.
So the 4K has English Dialogue? Is it worth importing, or waiting for the (likely inevitably) messed up US? Also it plays in US players correct?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #402

Feb 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorossi View Post
Well, from what I remember, the tale was that there was nothing to scan. There was a 1080p digital master that was a product of some funky proprietary compositing software and all of the analog and digital materials that were composited to create that master were either lost or otherwise in poor enough shape as to be cost-prohibitive at best and impossible to re-master at worst.
How in the hell can digitally produced content be in bad shape? It's DIGITAL, not film or drawn. I don't give the "It was early digital tech". I mean, Star Wars Ep1 was early digital too, Ep 2 and 3 were both fully digital and didn't look like crap, visually, to ME anyway, ignoring the green screen vs physical, and "Digital Yoda" debates.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #403
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Sweden

Really sad Innocence UHD wasn't the quality we hoped for. A newer movie should looked much better with todays standards and technique. Was hoping for even a "little" better PQ over JP Absolute blu-ray with the added DTS:X

I wonder if there are any future chances of something better since we have many many diffrent blu-rays over the years but none tops the JP absolute edition.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:19 PM   #404

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameron4eva View Post
So the 4K has English Dialogue? Is it worth importing, or waiting for the (likely inevitably) messed up US? Also it plays in US players correct?
Yes on all fronts for GITS 1995. UHD 4K Blu-rays are (ideally supposed to be) region-free, and this worked perfectly in the Oppo UDP-203.

Mine came in the other day and I was genuinely shocked to find the English dub included. The subtitles are very accurate, with only a few quirks (Batou is spelled "Bateau" or "Bateaux" from what I remember). The movie also boots directly after the studio logos --- kanji/katakana is surprisingly kept to a minimum apart from the initial warning screen.

This is in contrast (I believe) to many Japan-only 4K anime releases that don't even bother including English subtitles. Good on Bandai/Namco to include both subs and a dub.

I was very pleasantly surprised. If you have the extra money lying around to import, go for it --- especially since there's nothing suggesting this will arrive stateside, especially on disc. In an equally shocking surprise, Amazon JP's Global shipping was nearly as quick as Prime for me, with the largest delays coming in the initial order processing phase. Thumbs up all around.

(EDIT: I did not buy GITS 2: Innocence so can't confirm the same for that specific title).

Last edited by Goldash; 01-25-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #405
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldash View Post
UHD 4K Blu-rays are (ideally supposed to be) region-free
They're not just supposed to be; they are (as in, the UHD standard does not include region coding- players wouldn't know what to do with a region code if they found one... which they won't because none are included... because players wouldn't know what to do with them).
Thanks given by:
Goldash (01-30-2019)
Old 01-25-2019, 11:52 PM   #406
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I tried to watch Innocence's UHD again the other day. What a pile of shite.
Thanks given by:
Dailyan (01-25-2019)
Old 01-28-2019, 02:12 PM   #407

Jan 2012

Where are you guys buying this? I'm seeing some places that has the 4K 1995 film for about $80 to $100. Is there somewhere with a better deal. I am in the US. Thanks.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:59 PM   #408

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post
Where are you guys buying this? I'm seeing some places that has the 4K 1995 film for about $80 to $100. Is there somewhere with a better deal. I am in the US. Thanks.
I bought mine from Amazon JP and yeah, Japanese home video releases are pretty much always priced really high. It's something a lot of us who buy imported films tend to be aware of.

I bought the combo from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.jp/GHOST-SHELL...n+the+shell+4k

The single is a little less if you only want the 95 film: https://www.amazon.co.jp/GHOST-SHELL...n+the+shell+4k
Thanks given by:
PoshFrosh (01-29-2019)
Old 01-29-2019, 03:18 PM   #409

Jan 2012

Cool cool. I've imported blurays before at great expense (such as Innocence or Akira) but they were never quite this expensive. Of course this would be my first 4k UHD anime, so there's that. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2019, 04:40 PM   #410
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshFrosh View Post
Cool cool. I've imported blurays before at great expense (such as Innocence or Akira) but they were never quite this expensive. Of course this would be my first 4k UHD anime, so there's that. Thanks.
A lot of Japanese media is a lot more expensive than domestic.

Its kind of less than Japanese Blu-ray releases at its current price for anime... those are usually like $65 each and the combo makes it around $50 for each 4K/UHD.

Im debating about getting it too. Love this film series. The original is a masterpiece.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:43 PM   #411
Expert Member

Jul 2015

Is the twin pack worth it for Innocence or is the transfer for the UHD so poor that I'm better off just getting the original? Fyi, i don't own Innocence in any format, and am also interested in Akira 4k.

I'm assuming these won't make it to the states anytime soon...

EDIT: does the twin pack come with 4 discs? 2 UHDs and 2 Blus?
Old 08-02-2019, 12:57 PM   #412
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Sweden

Anyone compared UHD Innocence DTS:X audio to the Absolute edition with

Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 6.1
Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1

Wonder if AQ got a boost since the PQ didn't
Old 08-05-2019, 06:35 PM   #413
Expert Member

Jul 2015

Also, do these generally ever drop in price? (i.e. black friday, or random sales, even if it's just 10% off lol)
Old 08-06-2019, 06:06 AM   #414
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaNoodle View Post
Also, do these generally ever drop in price? (i.e. black friday, or random sales, even if it's just 10% off lol)
Its very weird how it works in Japan. Typically thats a no, but it will drop at some point, but what makes it weird is when- there is typically no indication as to when, so always keep an eye out.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #415
Expert Member

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
Its very weird how it works in Japan. Typically thats a no, but it will drop at some point, but what makes it weird is when- there is typically no indication as to when, so always keep an eye out.
Ah that makes sense. Also, do you know of any price tracking website/notification that can be set for a price drop alert? CamelCamelCamel doesn't seem to work with Amazon JP
Old 08-12-2019, 10:40 AM   #416

Apr 2010
-

Anyone compared the 4K "remastered" 1080p Blu-ray that came with the Innocence 4K to the earlier Blu-rays and even the 4K?
Is it any better or worse?
Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM   #417

Sep 2017

Ghost in the shell 4k on "sale" at amazon japan for 17 more hours, 7408 yen ($67).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies