Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30
21 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Gods of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.15

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

It: Chapter Two 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 02-25-2018, 11:23 PM   #21

Mar 2008
NE USA

Ordered mine; looks terrific!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:49 PM   #22

Jul 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
Seriously, I think you're not looking properly (or might really need to have your eyes checked ). Many things just get completely lost due to the lower resolution. I'm afraid I can't do more than I already did by pointing you to certain things though (holes "disappearing" completely and becoming just fuzziness instead for example).
In the one screencap you pointed to, I did see the holes in the table cloth looking more defined in the UHD, but I wondered how much of that was due to the "jacked up" contrast of the UHD in these caps (I'm not dissing the UHD grading, just to somehow express how it looks compared to the blu-ray in this conversion).
I just can't seem to see that much of a difference in the rest of the image, sorry. Again, the difference in contrast makes it hard to judge too. I never meant to dis the UHD, I just wasn't seeing the improvement I hoped for and I stated I would wait for other releases, in case something went "wrong".

Since I'm seeing this mentioned a lot, can someone tell me, how does this being Super35 factor in this? Is it for better or worse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Right? Even without embiggening this image I can clearly see the much finer detail on the servant's costume, so I've embiggened it anyway just in case the rest of y'all don't have your glasses on: http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=2&x=...5&l=0&i=3&go=1

Come on guys. There's a very nice uptick in detail here and the grain is much finer to boot, if I didn't know any better I'd swear this was a Sony joint.
[...]
The lines on her straw hat are gone in the BD and look at the grille of the car, the horizontal lines are completely gone on the BD too. Looks so much tighter and finely detailed to these eyes of mine.
The improvement in detail in the embiggened cap you point to is very obvious, yes. The uptick in detail seems to vary considerably from some shot to shot. I only looked at a couple of them and thought that was it. I wasn't minding the grain either, I assume the UHD must have better compression.
The difference in the straw hat is noticeable too. It does look "tighter" overall.

Like I mentiones in my previous post, the thing was, because I didn't see much improvement, I was wondering whether the german UHD was using the recent 4k master restoration, since I believe it was funded by Cohen, and I imagine Concorde should pay something to use it. I wondered whether the UHD was using an upscale of a previous master for home-video. But judging by all your comments I would seem there's not the slightest suspicion of such thing, so I guess it's all OK.

Well, I'm not buying it yet anyway, hopefully some other UHD will pop up and we'll see.
Old 02-26-2018, 07:29 PM   #23
Expert Member

Nov 2012
WA, USA

The Cohen remastered release looked great (better than the Criterion), except for its choose your own poison issues (original disc: incorrect OAR, correct gamma / recall disc: correct OAR, incorrect gamma.)

This 4k release looks better (more than just minor based on the caps) and has none of the faults of the Cohen release, so this is the best release IMO.
Thanks given by:
GenPion (06-07-2018), jaaguir (02-27-2018)
Old 02-28-2018, 04:05 PM   #24
Power Member

Aug 2008
Germany

A warning: Someone else received the BD instead of the UHD-BD twice now after having ordered at amazon.de. I ordered somewhere else (cheaper), but also had the BD instead of the UHD in the mail today!

So it seems as if there might even be a general problem with the item (maybe some item number mixup) and I wouldn't recommend ordering at amazon.de for now at any rate.

EDIT: He got lucky with amazon.de the third time now, but I just ordered at another German site (still slightly cheaper than ama.de ...).

Last edited by andreasy969; 02-28-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:17 PM   #25
Power Member

Aug 2008
Germany

Received the disc today and can confirm German titles, but as far as I can tell, there are only 2 instances - the rest is in English.

EDIT: Correction: There are other German titles within the movie as well.

The title is also the nice, animated one and you're just getting the "Wiedersehen in" on top of it, once the original title animation is done.

I also played around with the first capsaholic shot and am getting the exact same result with 100 nits (so I suppose caps is using madVR with compressed highlights as well). Took two more with 200 and 300 nits just for the sake of comparison - imo nothing wrong with 100 nits anyway:

I can't comment on forced subs yet (will have to turn on my projector for that and use my player), but, as I said before, forced subs aren't typical for Concorde and the back cover states optional German subs as well.

EDIT: Can confirm no forced subs now.

Last edited by andreasy969; 03-02-2018 at 07:40 PM.
Thanks given by:
AndyMT (08-04-2019), aphid (03-02-2018), Fat Phil (04-06-2018), Geoff D (03-02-2018), harpolini (03-02-2018), Harry Shapiro (03-10-2018), HDM_fan (03-03-2018), Heapashifter (04-12-2018), TheBoss062 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 06:21 AM   #26
Power Member

Dec 2016
Florida

Dang, and I own the Criterion blu-ray.....
Old 04-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
Bedford Falls

Never have seen this but every single time I've come across the movie it's reminded me of its parody gag from The Critic called Howard Stern's End.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:47 AM   #28
Special Member

Mar 2015

I live in the USA and would like to have this. So where can I import this from and for how much?
Old 05-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #29
Power Member

Aug 2008
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snl40boi View Post
I live in the USA and would like to have this. So where can I import this from and for how much?
https://www.amazon.de/Wiedersehen-Ho...7418155&sr=8-1

Currently 28,99 . I do believe standard shipping to the US is 3 for a Blu-ray (which actually tends to piss me slightly off, since I have to pay $7.98 for the stuff that I import from ama.com - "Not fair!" as the ignorant man with the weird hair cut would say). Don't know whether they'll charge you additional/different taxes, but I guess so, so your price may differ.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:26 AM   #30
Special Member

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreasy969 View Post
https://www.amazon.de/Wiedersehen-Ho...7418155&sr=8-1

Currently 28,99 . I do believe standard shipping to the US is 3 for a Blu-ray (which actually tends to piss me slightly off, since I have to pay $7.98 for the stuff that I import from ama.com - "Not fair!" as the ignorant man with the weird hair cut would say). Don't know whether they'll charge you additional/different taxes, but I guess so, so your price may differ.
Taxes for what?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:09 PM   #31
Power Member

Aug 2008
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snl40boi View Post
Taxes for what?
The product and maybe even the shipping.

When I import stuff I have to pay taxes. Well, most most of the time I actually don't have to, because the price is low enough, but with imports come taxes. I know the rules that apply when I import my stuff from the US for ex, don't know yours though. But I think others should be able to tell you.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:11 AM   #32
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

I am interested in this but the Cohen one is from the 4K remaster as well... and doesn't have German title cards. Anyone who owns both care to comment/compare?
Old 06-07-2018, 01:14 AM   #33
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Wasn't aware of there being another UHD release for this? Unless you mean the Blu-ray...but that's not a UHD.
Old 06-07-2018, 01:15 AM   #34
Blu-ray.com Reviewer

Feb 2009
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Wasn't aware of there being another UHD release for this? Unless you mean the Blu-ray...but that's not a UHD.
That is what I meant.

After looking between the two release screenshots, it's obvious the 4K edition is superior. I might end up importing this one sometime. Great movie.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008
NJ, USA

I got my copy last week. Was disappointed with the Cohen disc when I rewatched the movie earlier this year. The movie's become something of a favorite of late and I even watched the pretty good Starz miniseries recently. Decided to order this disc to see if it was any good.

Generally, I think the UHD looks fine. I mean it looks like film. Just unsatisfying color and contrast wise though. A bit too desaturated and cold. Also blacks seem a bit too dense and whites a bit clipped? Gives it a harsh/bleak appearance. Somewhat disappointed with this 4K restoration compared to how good Criterion's A Room with a View and Twilight Time/Sony's Remains of the Day BDs look.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:00 AM   #36
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
I got my copy last week. Was disappointed with the Cohen disc when I rewatched the movie earlier this year. The movie's become something of a favorite of late and I even watched the pretty good Starz miniseries recently. Decided to order this disc to see if it was any good.

Generally, I think the UHD looks fine. I mean it looks like film. Just unsatisfying color and contrast wise though. A bit too desaturated and cold. Also blacks seem a bit too dense and whites a bit clipped? Gives it a harsh/bleak appearance. Somewhat disappointed with this 4K restoration compared to how good Criterion's A Room with a View and Twilight Time/Sony's Remains of the Day BDs look.
the colors and sharpness of the transfer really really surprised me
Old 06-23-2019, 11:53 PM   #37

Jun 2009
NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
the colors and sharpness of the transfer really really surprised me
Surprised you in a good or bad way?
Old 07-01-2019, 01:08 AM   #38
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotFstop View Post
Surprised you in a good or bad way?
oh a good way, the 'filmic' look had a tactile appearance that extracted every detail and nuance from it's 35mm source.
Old 09-08-2019, 11:48 PM   #39

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizor View Post
It's critical what tone mapping one has. I had to change one parameter to make skin look right with the dynamic mapping I use. After that it was fine.
Thanks given by:
Rizor (09-09-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies