Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$40.00
16 hrs ago
Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Rocky Mountain Express 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.50
3 hrs ago
Terminator: Dark Fate (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the film (after you've seen it)
8 3.28%
31 12.70%
71 29.10%
84 34.43%
50 20.49%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #821
Expert Member

Jul 2016

Just saw this. It was awful. I'm not a big fan of Get Out but that is a far better movie than this. Its fails at everything. It fails as a horror movie, comedy, home invasion, cloning / doppleganger flick. I didn't buy any of it. I certainly don't buy Peele as a good filmmaker.
Old 10-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #822
Special Member

Oct 2014
Denmark

The opening scene is pretty chilling, the first act is intriguing. Then the dopplegangers turn up and the film's narrative starts to disintegrate until it collapses entirely, when the plot and Jordan Peele's agenda is revealed in full. Such a shame, I really liked the beginning.
Thanks given by:
aiman04 (10-13-2019), Hoke Moseley (10-13-2019), Troll2fan (11-06-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 02:52 PM   #823
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Virginia, U.S.A.

I finally got around to watching this. Personally, I liked it. As far as comparing this to Get Out goes, they're both about equal for me, I liked both but I have my issues with both as well.

Lupita shined in this as Adelaide and Red. I'd love to see her venture into the genre more.
I enjoyed the family as a whole but outside of Lupita I think I enjoyed Zora/Umbra the most.
I'm not sure if I'm the only one with this one but
[Show spoiler]I kinda saw the ending coming before it happened. There were a few signs too many
I'm not saying I hated it but it felt obvious once it happened.
Again, I liked it. Nothing too special, I'll watch the next directorial feature from Jordan Peele once it's out
Old 10-13-2019, 03:11 PM   #824
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2010
Missouri, USA

I liked Get Out a lot, but as a Horror fan I honestly hated this one. The trailer was great, and I went to see it at the theater with two other people who were expecting it to be great... and we all hated it. It's not like we went into it expecting to dislike it, but entirely the opposite. We were left wondering WTF all the critics had watched exactly.

And the other horror fans that I've spoken to here in town also hated it. In fact, out of around a dozen varied people I have yet to hear of anyone liking the film here. I'm almost left wondering if it's an internet conspiracy. The reviews and ratings just don't seem to jibe on Imdb and other similar sites...and I'm not the first one to bring that up out of the blue.

I'm going to talk to some more horror fans at the Cape Fear Con 2019 later this month to hear their opinions, but I will be shocked if they tell me much different than I've already heard.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:17 PM   #825
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Yeah, I watched this a week or so ago and thought it was a disaster.

It really was all downhill after the opening scene.
Old 10-13-2019, 04:41 PM   #826
Special Member

Oct 2014
Denmark

It basically suffers from the same problem that Aranofky's Mother! did.

As soon as you realize that the allegorical tale and the message is really all there is, the 'top layer' story and the characters just evaporate, just like my suspension of disbelief and immersion in both films did.
Thanks given by:
clifford finch (11-07-2019), Hoke Moseley (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #827
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Should Peele Get Out of horror and get back to comedy?
Old 10-13-2019, 08:03 PM   #828
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Nope!
Thanks given by:
Gacivory (10-13-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #829

Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katatonia View Post
We were left wondering WTF all the critics had watched exactly.
It seems that the mainstream critics have become even less trustworthy. They've been giving overwhelmingly good reviews to some utter pretentious trite films (Hereditary, Us, Midsommar, etc). All you need for praise is a few deep themes that are barely flirted with, and to adhere to modern identity politics to get a good review from the critics. Basic plot development, three dimensional characters, and believable dialogue are not required. It's a sad state of affairs, but these critics care more about being considered clever and woke than judging a film by its objective merits. I've watched films that I didn't agree with the message, but I didn't summarily dismiss their other attributes. I've seen movies I agree with, but that doesn't mean they're good films if they fail in every way as a film.

I didn't hate Us completely, especially not as much as Hereditary, but the ending was awful. Cram all the exposition in at the end because Peele realized he wasn't building to anything at all. He spent too much time on the symbolism and subtext that he forgot to include a meaningful plot. Sort of like the critics, he was more concerned with being praised as clever, woke, and deep than telling a compelling story. It could have been so much better.

Last edited by HotTastyChili; 10-13-2019 at 11:19 PM.
Thanks given by:
clifford finch (11-07-2019), eiknarf (10-13-2019), Eternal Sunshine (11-07-2019), Katatonia (10-13-2019), Troll2fan (11-06-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 11:28 PM   #830
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMovieBuff View Post
Nope!
Ok

“Yo Peele?!? Keep going! Make more! He said!”
Old 10-13-2019, 11:53 PM   #831
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
Ok

“Yo Peele?!? Keep going! Make more! He said!”
Old 10-14-2019, 12:05 AM   #832
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaDK View Post
The opening scene is pretty chilling, the first act is intriguing. Then the dopplegangers turn up and the film's narrative starts to disintegrate until it collapses entirely, when the plot and Jordan Peele's agenda is revealed in full. Such a shame, I really liked the beginning.
Agreed. And more and more plot holes as we get to the end. Lupita was amazing though, the rest were not too bad too. Love the integration of the song into the score, worked really well. I heard it was only first used in the trailer and then the positive reception of that inspired them to use it in the final film.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #833
Blu-ray Champion

May 2011
Raleigh

Source: IndieWire

Quote:
Lupita Nyong’o Is Open to Returning for a Sequel to ‘Us’ — If Jordan Peele Decides to Make One
Tambay Obenson - 11/6/2019

Once firm in her opposition to starring in a sequel to the Jordan Peele horror smash, the actress now says the door isn't entirely shut.

The open ending of Jordan Peele’s box office horror hit “Us” left viewers with questions, leading to hopes and rumors that a sequel would likely follow. However, when asked about returning for any potential sequel during the film’s premiere in March of this year, “Us” star Lupita Nyong’o — who does double duty as the film’s matriarch and her monstrous “Tethered” double — was emphatic in her response: “Thank you very much, no. No.”

In an interview with IndieWire this week, Nyong’o was initially just as firm in her opposition to starring in another “Us” movie. However, after some further discussion around the strength of a potential script, and who else might be involved, her opinion appeared to evolve.

“Well, never say never, because the minute you say ‘no,’ that’s exactly what’s going to happen,” she said. “So maybe I’ll say, absolutely, yeah, just so that karma doesn’t come to bite me in the butt.”

Peele has never said that there will be an “Us” follow-up, but he did admit that he could be convinced to return to an “Us” universe to tell another story.

“Sure! It’s a fun one,” Peele said in a March interview with Polygon. “There’s a lot going on there. The ‘Us-verse’… I like that.”

And should he return to his established “Us-verse,” Peele certainly has much material to work with, to avoid any retreads of the original film.

Nyong’o told IndieWire that shooting “Us” took an emotional toll on her even as she treasured the experience. “It cost me a lot, but it also offered me a lot, and I grew so much,” she said, adding that she told Peele that she would never again don the red jumpsuit worn by the Tethered character in the film.

“I lied, because I’ve worn it twice since we wrapped,” she said with a laugh. “I wore it once to do some stint with Trevor Noah, and then just recently, when I went to visit Horror Nights and I wanted to surprise some of the unsuspecting guests.”

And so here’s the dilemma, as it stands: While she loved the film’s open ending and would prefer to shut the door on that world, she hinted that — should he want her to return for a sequel — she would certainly consider it.

“Ultimately, I really do love the work we created together, and how imaginative it is,” Nyong’o said. “Obviously, I’m in love with Jordan’s mind and the work that comes out of it. And in this case, that includes the role that he bestowed on me.”
Old 11-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #834
Expert Member

Jul 2016

I'll definitely be skipping this if true.

The first movie was abysmal. My post on the other page was fresh out of seeing the film, now its been a while I hate the film even more.

Peele can pretend to be a nuanced filmmaker and include all the split diopter shots he wants but his two entries into the horror genre to me are about on the same level as blumhouse schlock. The only difference is blumhouse knows its products are schlock.

Unpopular opinion, but I think hes the worst big filmmaker out there.
Thanks given by:
Troll2fan (11-06-2019)
Old 11-06-2019, 09:22 PM   #835
Blu-ray Prince

Jun 2011
Dryland

Get Out is superb, Us is ok.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #836
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
DMV

Like them both a lot, Get Out slightly more (was lukewarm initially but it really grew on me).
Old 11-06-2019, 11:22 PM   #837
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Get Out - 8.5/10
Us - 5.5/10

I have not given up on him, he's got the talent but Us feels like it needed one or two more rewrites. Would like to see more horror from him.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:24 AM   #838

Feb 2014
New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotTastyChili View Post
It seems that the mainstream critics have become even less trustworthy. They've been giving overwhelmingly good reviews to some utter pretentious trite films (Hereditary, Us, Midsommar, etc). All you need for praise is a few deep themes that are barely flirted with, and to adhere to modern identity politics to get a good review from the critics. Basic plot development, three dimensional characters, and believable dialogue are not required. It's a sad state of affairs, but these critics care more about being considered clever and woke than judging a film by its objective merits. I've watched films that I didn't agree with the message, but I didn't summarily dismiss their other attributes. I've seen movies I agree with, but that doesn't mean they're good films if they fail in every way as a film.

I didn't hate Us completely, especially not as much as Hereditary, but the ending was awful. Cram all the exposition in at the end because Peele realized he wasn't building to anything at all. He spent too much time on the symbolism and subtext that he forgot to include a meaningful plot. Sort of like the critics, he was more concerned with being praised as clever, woke, and deep than telling a compelling story. It could have been so much better.
AMEN! Well said.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #839
Blu-ray Archduke

Mar 2010

I'm highly expecting Lupita to get a Best Actress nod.

The year is almost over and it's still probably the strongest female performance I've seen thus far.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:42 AM   #840
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2015
Christ Church, Barbados

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas_King View Post
I'm highly expecting Lupita to get a Best Actress nod.

The year is almost over and it's still probably the strongest female performance I've seen thus far.
It's a tie between Lupita and Florence Pugh.
Of course both stole the show, in horror movies!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies