Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Rocky & Bullwinkle & Friends: The Complete Series (DVD)
$19.99
5 hrs ago
Psych: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
House M.D.: The Complete Series (DVD)
$42.99
5 hrs ago
She-Ra: Princess of Power: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$29.99
5 hrs ago
The Walking Dead: The Complete Ninth Season (DVD)
$18.70
10 hrs ago
NCIS: Naval Criminal Investigative Service: The Sixteenth Season (DVD)
$9.99

John Wayne Western Collection (DVD)
$12.99

Adventure Time: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$65.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Twelfth and Final Season (DVD)
$24.96

Star Trek: Voyager: The Complete Series (DVD)
$54.99

The Lion King (DVD)
$12.23

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > DVD Deals

Old 02-06-2014, 09:17 PM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2009
Silicon Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxx View Post
Thanks. That's what I had hoped/figured, but I wanted to be sure. I guess nobody reading here owns the spindle pack and can confirm having watched the various seasons that they are all in widescreen, so I'll need to go on faith/logic (logic being what you said... that all of the old P&S DVDs should be gone by now). I'm fixing my order now.
Less than 2 sec of research:

Quote:
DVD releases[edit]

The first five seasons were originally distributed by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment for region 1. However, in 2008, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment became the rights holders for the DVDs.[19] They released season 6 and re-released seasons 1–5 in slimmer packaging in 2008, and released season 7 in 2009. International releases have always been distributed by Sony, who have only ever presented the show in 16:9 (widescreen) format, as opposed to the Fox releases, which presented the show in 4:3. All the re-releases by Sony along with seasons 6 and 7, and the complete series box set are presented in widescreen.[20] The Sony region 2 release of season 5 has a shortened version of the season finale, 48 minutes as opposed to the regular 67-minute version.[21]
Another couple of sec of Google yielded this regarding OAR:

Quote:
From Shawn Ryan's commentary:

"Firstly, although filmed in Widescreen, The Shield is edited in Full Frame, and to maintain the documentary feel and enhance the tension on screen was always envisioned to be seen in the Full Frame aspect ratio the final editing is performed in."

Last edited by wickerjay; 02-06-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickerjay View Post
From Shawn Ryan's commentary:

"Firstly, although filmed in Widescreen, The Shield is edited in Full Frame, and to maintain the documentary feel and enhance the tension on screen was always envisioned to be seen in the Full Frame aspect ratio the final editing is performed in."
I'm trying to understand what this quote means. If something was filmed in widescreen, how do you edit it in full frame without losing information on the sides?

I read somewhere about the reasons why they wouldn't do a BD version of The Shield (though now that I bought it I expect they will), and it sounded like it was filmed in a format like Super 35 where a nearly full frame image is exposed but then it's masked off (soft matted) to widescreen. If that's the case, it would mean that a widescreen image would be losing top/bottom information which would make the framing tighter (which I would think would be bad having watched the first 2 episodes) and in that case a full frame image would be preferable. I never liked the term "full frame" because it implies you're seeing the whole frame which may not be the case. Full screen is more accurate.

The bottomline: does anyone know if the Sony widescreen version of The Shield has more or less picture information on the top/bottom and/or sides than the full screen version?

I could do this comparison once I have the set and compare it against the full screen versions on Amazon Prime, but I'm hoping somebody already knows the answer.

Last edited by Joxx; 02-07-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:35 AM   #23

Dec 2013
♫ ...a great big empty land... ♫

Quote:
I'm trying to understand what this quote means. If something was filmed in widescreen, how do you edit it in full frame without losing information on the sides?
It could be a Buffy: The Vampire Slayer-like situation where they shot widescreen but composed it with fullscreen in mind for the final product once all the effects and whatnot were done. So while the UK DVDs for the later seasons are available widescreen, you can apparently see boom mikes and other such not-meant-to-be-shown stuff on the sides.

The S4 and up North American DVDs have a note from creator Joss Whedon to this effect, explaining why the sets are 4:3.

Quote:
The bottomline: does anyone know if the Sony widescreen version of The Shield has more or less picture information on the top/bottom and/or sides than the full screen version?

I could do this comparison once I have the set and compare it against the full screen versions on Amazon Prime, but I'm hoping somebody already knows the answer.
Check the DVDTalk link upthread in post #12. There are comparison screencaps at the bottom of the Video portion of the review which clearly show the frame mostly being opened up on the sides, rather than cropped to fit, to my view.

ETA: Since you asked upthread what the 29th disc was: I'm pretty sure it's a copy of the exclusive brand-new special features bonus disc which was originally only available on the older version of the complete series.

Last edited by Alexander the Drake; 02-07-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #24
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Drake View Post
Check the DVDTalk link upthread in post #12. There are comparison screencaps at the bottom of the Video portion of the review which clearly show the frame mostly being opened up on the sides, rather than cropped to fit, to my view.

ETA: Since you asked upthread what the 29th disc was: I'm pretty sure it's a copy of the exclusive brand-new special features bonus disc which was originally only available on the older version of the complete series.
Thanks. I looked at that and the widescreen is definitely better (it has more picture info on the sides and loses almost nothing on the top/bottom). I'm wondering how I missed those comparison shots before because I thought I read all of The Shield complete series reviews linked off DVD Basen, but I must've missed this one.

Now I'm happy with my purchase.... until Amazon or BB slashes the price of this down to $24.99 or less in >= 31 days.

Also, for anyone who cares, when I fixed my payment on my order, it shipped instantly which proves what I thought... Amazon actually holds a copy for you so you don't have to wait for the next batch to arrive. I wonder how long until they shut this "CC trick" down.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:39 PM   #25
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2013
South Midlands town of Denton
Lightbulb The Shield Complete Series DVD for $30.99 at Amazon

Received my The Shield Complete Series today by FedEx!

Good looking embossed outer case(what a waste, what am I going to do with it), however the two spindle holds is horrendous. I've never had a set with this type of system(UPDATE:I take that back I just found out my The King of Queens: Complete Series Set DVD is the same packaging. ). What a terrible presentation for a series, what were they thinking.

I had some single disc holders and I put all 29 discs in them. Going to have to figure out how to house them in some kind of jewel case like holder. Will not be able to present them in their original boxes.

Any ideas out there on how to house these sets would be appreciated & where to get artwork for The Shield Complete Series & The King of Queens: Complete Series Set DVD if/when I'd have to create my own?!!

Being a blind buy & the low $$ I hope I'll enjoy the series!

Last edited by hagios; 02-09-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 04:32 PM   #26

Apr 2013
Best Buy

For those of you looking to buy it, Best Buy has it on sale as well for $30, and actually has it available in some stores (which truly shocks me, considering I can hardly find any BR seasons anymore).
Old 02-09-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
Banned

Jun 2012

people should be aware that this below is the original set being put to OOP status

and the one in this thread is the re-release

Old 02-16-2014, 01:21 PM   #28
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Ayer, MA

FYI - This will be $24.99 at Best Buy next week, February 23rd - March 1st.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:30 PM   #29

Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
Lame. I just paid $30 for it at Best Buy.

And that packaging is horrendous.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #30

Jan 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorClobbersaurus View Post
Lame. I just paid $30 for it at Best Buy.

And that packaging is horrendous.
As did I and yes it is.
Old 02-18-2014, 02:44 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Quote:
Figures. I looked back in this thread and see that I forgot to post my usual "as soon as I buy this the price will drop in 31 days". This time it only took 2 weeks for it to drop $6 after I ordered it (I haven't opened it yet though the shrinkwrap came slightly torn). The same thing happened with Married with Children and King of Queens when I bought them a year or two ago. Important lesson: never buy a spindle pack complete series DVD for more than $25 no matter how much you want it. It's funny how Stargate SG-1 hasn't dropped on me since I bought that for $55-ish last year (now that I mentioned it, it probably will). This doesn't happen 100% but it happens far too often.

Is it worth the trouble to return it to Amazon over $6 + tax? Probably not because return shipping would probably be at least $3 and 20-30 minutes to mess with it and wait in line to mail it is worth the other $3.

This is why I'm so gunshy about buying anything these days. I guess my spindle pack complete series DVD threshold price will have to be $25 from now on, individual DVD TV seasons $10 (and it's rare that I'll even pay $6 for a DVD set), individual BD TV seasons $16, catalog BDs $5, catalog DVDs $3, and if I'm desperate for a new release (which is rarely the case)... new release 2D BDs $15, 3D BDs $20 (add $5 for Disney animated). Anything above those prices I should ignore no matter what. Pretty much every 2D new release now should be $10 or less (probably $9.96 or $6.96 to be exact) next BF if last BF at Walmart was a predictor of the next.

Last edited by Joxx; 02-18-2014 at 02:47 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #32

Mar 2011
-
-
-

Quote:
One of my favorite TV shows EVER. Will purchase this next week, 25$ is a steal for it, even if the case is horrible. Thanks for the info!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Hot Deals > Movie and TV Deals > DVD Deals