Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30
22 hrs ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$27.97

Rambo: Last Blood (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

The Hunger Games: Complete 4-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Batman: 80th Anniversary 18-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 09-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #35881
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
USA

Time Trap

Does a movie get points for creativity and effort even if it doesn't quite manage to pull it off?

Small budget film with a big sci-fi idea -- time moves differently for people trapped inside a cave, and what would happen because of it. A college professor disappears while investigating what happened to a group of people who disappeared years ago, and his students search for him and end up in said cave.

Exposition involving the fountain of youth and the backstory for the professor (basically everything that sets the plot in motion) is clunky with a lot of exposition dumping that's just accepted at face value, and they don't do enough with the sci-fi until the end and then rush through it. But I was never bored and wanted to see what happens next.

Currently on Netflix.

3 out of 5
Old 09-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #35882
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Hårga
Japan The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (2013)

The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (2013)

A personal look at the legendary Hayao Miyazaki, from his work ethic to his day-to-day ruminations, during production of his last feature film before retirement The Wind Rises in 2012. We also get an extended look from the perspective of Ghibli producer Toshio Suzuki, and the dynamic between himself, Miyazaki-San, and the late Takahata-San (Paku-San) in creating and running Studio Ghibli.

The bleak, cynical outlook we get from an older Miyazaki ready for retirement contrasts with the vibrant imagination of his beloved children's films, and perhaps even his own outlook from earlier in his career. This, in part, explains why The Wind Rises is such a different feature than the rest of his catalog. It is a truly personal semi-autobiographical film, with a mature tone more akin to Isao Takahata's animated masterpieces.

It always fascinates me to see the real side of the outliers and the traits that helped them achieve such extreme success. Miyazaki's relentless work ethic is no different.
Quote:
The notion that one’s goal in life is to be happy—that your own happiness is the goal—I just don’t buy it... I don’t ever feel happy in my daily life. Really, isn’t that how it is? How could that ever be our ultimate goal? Filmmaking only brings suffering.
The film is rounded out by intermittent narration, extended cat clips, and a beautiful classical score by Mamoru Hosoda regular, Masakatsu Takagi. One of the better documentaries I have seen in some time, and a must-see for Ghibli fans.

4/5
Old 09-15-2019, 02:35 PM   #35883
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Don't know what prompted me to watch it, but I sat through Margin Call (2011) last night. It's a movie about an unnamed financial institution (Wall Street investment bank) during the 2007-08 financial crisis. While the movie was okay (not the best but not the worst), it was the whole plot point of Sam Rogers dog that was dying not to mention the WTF ending of the movie itself. I have expected the ending of the movie to detail the aftermath of the financial crisis as it impacted the financial institution depicted in the movie but it has an ending that is up in the air and then cuts to Sam Rogers burying his dog.

I had nothing better to do so I decided to watch it. However, the ending just didn't make any sense. It felt like the movie was trying to humanize these characters and make them more sympathetic than the victims of the toxic securities they were selling to.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:47 PM   #35884
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Dec 2008
UK

It’s called a metaphor.
Old 09-24-2019, 06:09 AM   #35885

Jun 2018
Dinobot Island

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

2015101200002700.jpg

Not only is this my favorite Star Trek film, but in my humble opinion this is one of the best films of the 1980s. It also qualifies as one of the greatest time travel movies ever made, ranking just below Back to the Future and centuries beyond Hot Tub Time Machine. Directed by Leonard Nimoy, the absolute grandeur of this film as a masterpiece in the Trek pantheon is quite a feat considering most of it takes place way before the 23rd century and the starship Enterprise doesn't appear until the very last minute.

I had the pleasure of viewing this in the theater back in November of 1986, and at the beginning of the movie when the dedication to the ill-fated Challenger mission appeared the entire house broke out in uproarious applause. To this day that is easily my fondest movie-going experience, and I don't think it will ever be topped. The Voyage Home is exactly what the country needed at that tragic, uncertain time in history; an uplifting, heart-warming film about space travel and a future full of hope.

The entire cast shines here, with each crew member getting their own vivid moment in the sun, particularly Kirk and Spock. The entire supporting cast is stellar as well, and you can tell that even the minor background players had a lot of fun on this production. I don't have enough colorful metaphors to describe my love for this movie. It is such an absolute joy to watch and still brings a smile to my face upon every viewing. A thoroughly glorious science fiction adventure.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:20 AM   #35886

Jun 2018
Dinobot Island

Airport
airport-movie-title.jpg

The disaster movie that launched them all. The first and still one of the greatest. Nominated for 10 Academy awards back in 1970, and to this day you can still see why. Burt Lancaster, Dean Martin, George Kennedy, and Jacqueline Bisset lead an ensemble cast that absolutely soars. A crazed suicide bomber boards a plane with dubious intentions and all Hell breaks loose. Edge of your seat cinema. I wish I had been born a bit earlier so I could've seen this masterpiece on the big screen. 8/10

Airport 1975
MV5BM2FhM2VjMDAtZWQyMy00ODEwLWJmOGMtOTFiOGExNDQ5N2I3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_CR0,45,480,.jpg

Charlton Heston and Karen Black lead this high-flying nightmare when a mid-air collision wreaks havoc in the skies. George Kennedy reprises his role from the original film, alongside such talent as Jerry Stiller and Norman Fell. A young Linda Blair also stars, fresh off her stint as a green pea spewing demon in The Exorcist. This is the one that was heavily spoofed by the Airplane movies a few years later. Good stuff. 7.5/10
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (10.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg untitled.jpg (7.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 10-30-2019, 03:27 AM   #35887
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2008
Hårga
Sweden Hour of the Wolf (1968)

After watching The Lighthouse last week, I made sure to revisit this exceptional film to see (imo) a prominent inspiration behind that 1.19:1 madness.

Hour of the Wolf is a brief 87-minute window into the soul of a tormented artist staying on an island both accompanied by his wife and alone with his repressed demons. It is simultaneously about a woman in an existential crisis of identity as she tries to cope with and make sense of the immense and overwhelming amount of helplessness felt by the loved ones of those mentally unwell.

This is a horror film, but in the sense that it is a confrontation of the ideas and feelings that haunt us during that most dreadful hour of night. We witness a manifest spiritual confessional as one’s conscience is simultaneously entrapped and liberated. The cinematography is among Bergman’s best. I can watch this over and over again just for its distinct, haunting visuals.

Hour of the Wolf excels most in what Bergman does best—it is cinema with a timeless feast for the eyes, a burdening provocation of the mind, and a callous truth for the soul.

4.5/5
Old 11-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #35888
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Prospect

Rating: 3.5/5

Directors: Christopher Caldwell, Zeek Earl

Main Stars: Sophie Thatcher, Jay Duplass, Pedro Pascal

Cee (Thatcher) spends her days reciting her favourite book from memory while her father chastises her for her lack of focus on the task at hand. That task being prospecting - retrieving valuable fossils? from the goopy innards of an alien species buried in the ground on the moon below them. The task being made all the more challenging as they must also survive the moon's toxic green forest. Her father has the coordinates to the big score and promises her they just need to do this one last job and then they can leave this life behind them. Unfortunately the orbiting space station has informed them that they are leaving shortly for new locales. Will they be able to harvest the goods and make it into orbit again before they are permanently left behind?

I happened to be flipping through the movie trailers on my Apple TV and came across this little Indie offering. It looked different so I decided to give it a watch.

Here we have a great example of not needing a large budget and lots of special effects to craft a decent and engaging sci-fi entry. To be honest there's not a lot of dialog or different sets - everything either taking place in the interior of their drop ship or on the moon's forest. And yet I was surprised when the credits rolled at how fast the movie seemed to fly by. It obviously kept me engaged throughout. If I had anything negative to say it would be that at times the dialog was a bit muddled - not really surprising considering everyone spends almost all their time with helmets on their heads. I'll have to look up the one actor - Pedro Pascal to see what else he has done as I found him to have a commanding screen presence. The girl who plays Cee was equally effective especially considering it was her film debut.

Visually competent although again, there's not a lot of different scenery to be had. The forest manages to look other worldly enough via a constant and dreamy looking colourful dust floating around in the air. I also liked how the story kind of just throws the viewer into the middle of things with barely any exposition and you're left on your own to figure out what's going on. To be honest I was shocked to find that this was an American production as it definitely had a Euro vibe to it. A decent and gritty genre film that while not groundbreaking manages to do a lot with only a little.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies