Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
3 hrs ago
Assault on Precinct 13 (Blu-ray)
$11.99
3 hrs ago
Now You See Me 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Ringu Collection (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Chernobyl (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman Beyond: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$69.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
5 hrs ago
Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 01-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #41
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by klauswhereareyou View Post
I'd be all for this if it was going to get a certain level of grittiness added to it (the original is good, but silly as hell). Going to guess Spielberg won't add any grit or realness to it like say someone like Scorsese would if he were to direct.
Scorsese directing West Side Story. That I would definitely go see. LOL
Old 01-19-2018, 09:42 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynatnite View Post
Scorsese directing West Side Story. That I would definitely go see. LOL
Thanks given by:
aiman04 (01-20-2018), filmbuffTX (01-19-2018), Poya (01-20-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2013
UK

Quote:
I'd be all for this if it was going to get a certain level of grittiness added to it (the original is good, but silly as hell). Going to guess Spielberg won't add any grit or realness to it like say someone like Scorsese would if he were to direct.
Personally I think adding much grit would ruin the entire thing. The original film is silly and light-hearted but that's what makes it so enjoyable and charming.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #44
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Zero View Post
Personally I think adding much grit would ruin the entire thing. The original film is silly and light-hearted but that's what makes it so enjoyable and charming.
Yeah I agree, but if they were going to remake it there would be no way in topping the original in that department, so might as well go in the other direction at least a little bit.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #45
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Kingsport, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Zero View Post
I didn't think it was that lighthearted. Interracial love story amid gang violence ends in tragedy. Lots of drama.
Thanks given by:
charlieray1 (01-25-2018)
Old 01-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2011
Brazil

If the opening sequence of IJ and the Temple of Doom is any indication, Spielberg can shoot a musical sequence beautifully.

I just don't like the idea of it being a remake of WSS. Original stuff like LLL and The Greatest Showman is making bank. Why not invest in something new?

Last edited by Cremildo; 01-20-2018 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Bad grammar
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #47
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Yeah I agree, but if they were going to remake it there would be no way in topping the original in that department, so might as well go in the other direction at least a little bit.
They should set it in the Italian cities of Mantua and Verona in the year 1595.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #48
Blu-ray Count

Jan 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cremildo View Post
If the opening sequence of IJ and the Temple of Doom is any indication, Spielberg can shoot a musical sequence beautifully.
USO Dance Sequence from 1941.
Old 01-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #49
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
They should set it in the Italian cities of Mantua and Verona in the year 1595.
Yeah good one, but seriously maybe set it in the present day and maybe make the dance fighting look a little more dangerous and less schlock.
Old 01-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Ontario, Canada

How can you do this song without making it campy?

Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #51
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2011
Alaska

I hope this is true! I've seen it on Broadway twice (original and revival) and both were faaaaar superior to the film. I would love to see a modern day version!
Old 01-20-2018, 12:06 AM   #52
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

I donít care if itís too obvious. Thereís no way Lin Manuel Miranda isnít going to be involved in this. Him and Spielberg are good friends.
Old 01-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2017

Quote:
Yeah good one, but seriously maybe set it in the present day and maybe make the dance fighting look a little more dangerous and less schlock.
I think the closest we came to something like that would be 1988's Rooftops, from the same director, Robert Wise.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:04 AM   #54
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poya View Post
I donít care if itís too obvious. Thereís no way Lin Manuel Miranda isnít going to be involved in this. Him and Spielberg are good friends.
He was already involved in a Sondheim-approved spanish version of it and audiences hated it so much that it was pulled after a few previews. So, i doubt he's want to get involved
Old 01-20-2018, 01:20 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
DC Metro Area
Send a message via AIM to JMDiaz718 Send a message via Yahoo to JMDiaz718
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsounoriginal View Post
Meh, Spielberg and Kushner should have better projects on their radar. I don't really get the point of this other than musicals are suddenly popular against post-La La Land and Spielberg hasn't really done one outside the opening sequence of Temple of Doom.
It would be cool, if they just made a straight forward movie, minus the music. A dramatic remake that's NOT a musical.
Old 01-20-2018, 01:46 AM   #56
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

really? my wife may like this but it seems like such a waste for a once great director. meh, add another possible flop for hollywood.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:34 AM   #57
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
North Hollywood, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F View Post
He was already involved in a Sondheim-approved spanish version of it and audiences hated it so much that it was pulled after a few previews. So, i doubt he's want to get involved
Yeah, and Joss Whedon gave up on Buffy after that movie.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:20 AM   #58
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Do Indy first and then this please.
Thanks given by:
JMS1223 (01-20-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 04:00 AM   #59
Blu-ray Ninja

May 2009
New York

I think what people don't realize is that the original Broadway play was grittier than the movie and I thought it used vulgar language in the song lyrics, but I just checked the WSS website which compares the original and film lyrics and in the Jets song, they both use "buggin'" One change that was made (which sure seems silly today) is that the show lyrics used "if the spit hits the fan" and the movie used "let them do what they can". And in the last verse, the show used "on the whole, ever, mother, lovin' street" and the movie used "on the whole, buggin', ever, lovin' street. I don't know why they thought "buggin'" would be less offensive than "mother". There was a revival of the play about 10 years ago - I didn't see it but it did get very good reviews and it was supposedly updated to some extent.

I saw the original WSS in 70mm 6-track stereo in roadshow at the Rivoli in NYC when I was a kid. That and a few other films changed my life and WSS especially, along with "How the West Was Won" in 3-strip Cinerama, were big influences in my wanting a career in the industry and I eventually became a recording engineer.

Even when I was a kid, some parts of the movie already seemed antiquated. I remember thinking to myself that the kids at the gym would be dancing to rock & roll, not to jazz.

But except for the prelude and maybe "Cool", I find WSS to be a hard watch today. IMO, it unfortunately doesn't hold up (and the mix on the Blu is NOTHING like the original 6-track mix). But having said that (and assuming that Spielberg keeps it as a musical and keeps the original music), I don't see how he can make it better. If he does change the music and turns the whole thing into rap and hip-hop, I don't know if I'm going to be as interested (in spite of the success of "Hamilton").

Even if he changes the ethnicities of the gangs, in the movie, the use of a gun was considered extreme (within the plot). Today, every gang member would be walking around with a gun. So what is Tony going to try and do? -- get them to use single shot guns instead of automatic military weapons? Or is he going to try and get them to have a rapping contest instead of violence?

On the other hand, I suppose there is today more relevance to the original ethnicities with the damage to Puerto Rico and a possible new influx of Puerto Ricans to the U.S. mainland. Two lines still hold up: "Nobody knows in America - Puerto Rico's in America" and "Life is all right in America - if you're all White in America". But none of the characters in the film would be able to afford to live in today's gentrified Manhattan, where the average price of an apartment is $1.6 million. In fact, they couldn't even afford to live in the outer boroughs unless they were already there in apartments they had been occupying for a long time.

Maybe Spielberg should set it in the future and make it an earth gang vs. an alien gang.

Personally, I think Spielberg should skip it and try for something far more original. It really doesn't need to be remade and while there's been a few movie musicals, like Chicago, that have done well, most do terribly today.
Old 01-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #60
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdiaz718 View Post
it would be cool, if they just made a straight forward movie, minus the music. A dramatic remake that's not a musical.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Tags
remake, steven spielberg, tony kushner, west side story