Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Frozen 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$132.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 03-14-2018, 04:07 PM   #41

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Now there is a UHD/BD combo for Innocence, as well as a separate remastered Blu-ray, and yet, there is no separate remastered Blu-ray for the original film, yet:

Surely they won't have remastered Innocence and not remastered Ghost in the Shell...

EDIT: It must be a collaborative release. Innocence is still a Disney Japan release:

http://www.disney.co.jp/studio/news/20180313_01.html

This also helps to explain the differences between encoding, and why Innocence has newly-designed audio mixes, like DTS:X and DTS Headphone:X. Note also that Disney is making the DTS:X track exclusive to the UHD BD disc, while the remastered Blu-ray Discs will have the Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 6.1 track, like the Absolute Edition Blu-ray.

I guess that means it's down to Bandai to remaster Ghost in the Shell only, and that Disney Japan took care of remastering Innocence, and then the two companies agreed to put their UHD discs in a box set together.

This is getting a little bit strange...
It's not totally strange, it comes down to how each Production Committee for the films is formed. Happens all the time in Japan. Because of Ghibli's involvement in the second film, Disney ended up getting the distribution rights in Japan (despite Bandai being involved as well). In the first film's case, Bandai has the distribution rights in Japan. Guess they decided to collaborate on this one.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:14 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEArgumedo View Post
It's not totally strange, it comes down to how each Production Committee for the films is formed. Happens all the time in Japan. Because of Ghibli's involvement in the second film, Disney ended up getting the distribution rights in Japan (despite Bandai being involved as well). In the first film's case, Bandai has the distribution rights in Japan. Guess they decided to collaborate on this one.
And we all benefit.

Though it appears the second movie doesn't have an English dub while the first does, so that's a bummer. I love watching with a dub and subtitles because there's always differences (subtitles tend to be more clinical while dubs can help smooth things over but both are rarely perfect) and you can usually gleam a better meaning using both.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:27 PM   #43

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vangeli View Post
And we all benefit.

Though it appears the second movie doesn't have an English dub while the first does, so that's a bummer. I love watching with a dub and subtitles because there's always differences (subtitles tend to be more clinical while dubs can help smooth things over but both are rarely perfect) and you can usually gleam a better meaning using both.
I don't think either of the discs have dubs, no? Or are you asking in general, because Innocence has 2 dubs. Shame that Japan decicded not to include them.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:29 PM   #44
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
And we all benefit.

The jury is still out on the dub. I assume that it's there because it has been on the Japanese Blu-ray releases, but Bandai hasn't actually specified the audio language(s), just the audio codec (LPCM 2.0 Dolby Surround) and the subtitle languages (Japanese, English).
Thanks given by:
Vangeli (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #45
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2010
Denmark

I have often been tempted by the JP BD because of the more correct subs and no letterbox. I will have to pick this up.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:35 PM   #46
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
And we all benefit.

Eh, I'm aware that subs can often render down the dialogue into quite clipped explanations but there's something about having the original language and thus the original performance which helps to underscore the words with more emotional impact. I can't even remember what the Major or Batou sound like in the dubs for this series of films & shows, it's been that long since I bothered with the dub.

I'll keep an eye out for these on YesAsia, if it ends up as 80 for both on there then I'll take that. The JPN Blu for Innocence cost me 45 so anything on par or less than that for the UHD sounds good to me.
Thanks given by:
MechaGodzilla (03-14-2018), Vangeli (03-14-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #47
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

Quote:
The jury is still out on the dub. I assume that it's there because it has been on the Japanese Blu-ray releases, but Bandai hasn't actually specified the audio language(s), just the audio codec (LPCM 2.0 Dolby Surround) and the subtitle languages (Japanese, English).
Awww...

To be honest I've seen these movies enough times that I don't need a dub or even subs so it isn't a big problem, but it'd certainly be a bummer.
Old 03-14-2018, 04:46 PM   #48

Mar 2012
China

Quote:
Surely they won't have remastered Innocence and not remastered Ghost in the Shell...
Now this is very interesting, with the first film finished in HD digital back in 1995 and second one digitally finished in 2K, these 4K remasters will very likely being rescan the original film which those digital images printed on, right? So though the original information was limited, there should be some improvements...
(This reminded me of Ichi the Killer, originally finished in HD then printed to 35mm, the new 4K restoration was done from that 35mm film rather than original 16mm negatives...)
Old 03-14-2018, 05:31 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
Sweden

Will wait for reviews since I have the "expensive" and unwatched new JP blu-ray of gits and the old "expensive" absolute edition of innocence. Right now the DTS:X on Innocence is very tempting since I like the second movie more but need to know how both are on PQ
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 PM   #50
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

The second film is much more talkative, so not having the dub is a bummer.

Disney remastered the second film? They usually output top quality transfers.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:19 PM   #51
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

I just noticed that the Disney press release claims that Ghost in the Shell has only the one Japanese audio track. I'm going to remove the English dub track from our listing unless and until we get more definitive confirmation from Bandai that it is indeed on the disc.

Sorry for any confusion.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:20 PM   #52
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Hollyweird, CA

The dubs for these films are not very good (especially the first one--even Oshii has complained about how the English voice actors don't emote), and the heavy philosophical musings and literary quotes in the second sound pretty silly spoken aloud in English. Original language is the only way to go for these, IMO.
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (06-17-2018)
Old 03-14-2018, 07:23 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

I don't understand the original.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:01 AM   #54
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011
Reading, England

Should be illegal to watch foreign movies with dubs

#original language and subs is how u do it
Thanks given by:
Batman1084 (03-15-2018), meowingdogs (06-27-2018), Mobe1969 (06-19-2018), trippledx3 (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #55
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

Subs are also criticized for not being accurate.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:01 AM   #56

Jul 2017

Talking about subs and dubs we have Hayao Miyazaki:

Disney releases Miyazaki films in two formats: a subtitled version for the purists and a dubbed extravaganza for the popcorn crowd. Howl's Moving Castle is no exception. It features the voice of Billy Crystal as the obstreperous fire demon and Lauren Bacall as the Witch of the Wastes. This is fine, says Miyazaki, because Bacall is "a fabulous woman" who brought something to the role that home-grown actors couldn't. "All the Japanese female voice actors have voices that are very coquettish and wanting male attention, which was not what we wanted at all."

In any case, he adds, who is to say that a subtitled print is any more authentic? "When you watch the subtitled version you are probably missing just as many things. There is a layer and a nuance you're not going to get. Film crosses so many borders these days. Of course it is going to be distorted."

https://www.theguardian.com/film/200...wardsandprizes

Looking forward to Ghost in the Shell 4KUHD!
Old 03-15-2018, 01:33 AM   #57
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2015
The City

I refuse to watch Cyber City OEDO 808 in anything but Manga dub. I think it's genius work, lol.

I can't really judge dub of '95, because I'm not a native speaker, but in terms of actual acting, I think it sounds OK. Not great, but serviceable. The sequel was dubbed better.

On the side note, man, so much sci-fi/cyberpunk goodness in the past year. From cheap shit like GitS '17 to BR and BR49, to The Matrix and now Oshii films.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:50 AM   #58
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Hollyweird, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Subs are also criticized for not being accurate.
Not on the Japanese releases. Those subs are fine.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (03-26-2018), Mobe1969 (03-16-2018), Vangeli (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 04:05 AM   #59

Sep 2013

I didn't think this topic would go to subs vs dubs, but here we are. I like the dubs for both of these. Akio Otshuka is great, but Richard Epcar's voice will always be Batou for me. William Knight as Aramaki is I think far superior to his Japanese counterpart. I enjoy both audio tracks, if they were to both end up on these discs, everybody wins, but since they're seemingly not here, I'll be holding onto my old Blu's for those.
Thanks given by:
Batman1084 (03-23-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:37 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2017
Maine, US

When the subs say "they're molesting each other" and the dubs say "they're horseplaying" it's good to have both, tbh. (This is more of an example from the Stand Alone Complex show, though.)

I wonder how the original will look; IIRC it's fairly muted on Blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
SuperFist (11-03-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies