Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
19 hrs ago
Twin Peaks: From Z to A (Blu-ray)
$121.79

Shaun of the Dead 4K / Hot Fuzz 4K / The World's End 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Apocalypse Now 4K (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Castle Rock: The Complete First Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Knives Out 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Mummy Ultimate Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II: The Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.28

Midway 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Matrix Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Yesterday 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 08-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #21
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Can't judge the caps worth a damn on my iPad, what don't you like Mike?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:47 PM   #22
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Can't judge the caps worth a damn on my iPad, what don't you like Mike?
I am seeing a noise reduction pass and loss of detail.
I am also on mobile, o will knock on the pc in the am as it's hooked up to my bedroom 4k tv and will have a real look see

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...9&l=1&i=5&go=1
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (08-05-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:03 AM   #23

Nov 2009
California, USA

I thought so at first but then I realized there is ringing on the BD, so it seems over sharpened; I think the UHD has done a creditable job here. I don't see more detail but better colors and contrast and no ringing. It does look like there is some DNR applied but did not seem too egregious. I hope to get a better idea later this week; mine should arrive tomorrow. I don't normally do a comparison of HD and UHD but I might this time around.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:12 PM   #24
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Kay View Post
I am seeing a noise reduction pass and loss of detail.
I am also on mobile, o will knock on the pc in the am as it's hooked up to my bedroom 4k tv and will have a real look see

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...9&l=1&i=5&go=1
It's deffo had a de-noising pass but it's not a waxfest and monanza's right about the BD having a lick of sharpening. In a funny way the UHD is smearing out spatial detail that can be seen in the BD but it's got better a hold on the temporal side of things, like on the out of focus dude here who looks more tightly resolved on the UHD: https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...3&l=1&i=2&go=1

Can't really judge dynamic range as it's capsaholic, natch. Would like to see this one in motion, won't go chasing after it though. Next time amazon.de has an offer I'll nab it.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

It can't look as bad as the UK BD, the banding on that was horrific.

Last edited by Sky_Captain; 08-06-2018 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #26
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
It's deffo had a de-noising pass but it's not a waxfest and monanza's right about the BD having a lick of sharpening. In a funny way the UHD is smearing out spatial detail that can be seen in the BD but it's got better a hold on the temporal side of things, like on the out of focus dude here who looks more tightly resolved on the UHD: https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...3&l=1&i=2&go=1

Can't really judge dynamic range as it's capsaholic, natch. Would like to see this one in motion, won't go chasing after it though. Next time amazon.de has an offer I'll nab it.
Yeah, if it goes super cheap I might.
But I wonder if the US BD has the sharpening
Old 08-06-2018, 11:06 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

There's definitely an uptick in detail. Her dimples in cap #8 stand out more than in the 1080p disc

Aside from the 4K print having German text (which is translated in the included English subs), I'd say it's worth an import.

Also, I LOVE that the art has a foil finish to it.

EDIT: This 4K disc does indeed have HDR, according to a sticker included on the shrinkwrap.

EDIT #2: I just tested the 1080p disc on my North American PS4 and this disc is indeed Region A friendly. The artwork claims the disc is also Region C compatible, but I cannot confirm that at this moment.

Last edited by GasmaskAvenger; 08-07-2018 at 01:00 AM.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Mine turned up today, along with Death Wish.. I hope I get to see it over the weekend! Looking forward to it. I've not seen it yet.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 PM   #29

Jan 2011

Very disappointing UHD. Better compression but no detail upgrade courtesy of the 2K DI. That has been filtered away. :-(
Old 11-03-2018, 12:28 AM   #30

May 2015

Looks like more Texas to me.
"you have no eyes"
Old 11-13-2018, 01:36 AM   #31

May 2015

I got one week ban for this quote from The Wild Bunch.
I was trying to convey that previous post didn't see difference.
What political or religion you see on this?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #32

May 2019

This 4k landed on my deck. Be forewarned that there is really no appreciable uptick in detail over the blu, but it's not the end of the world, as there's certainly not a LOSS of any detail, either.

The color palette is significantly revised, but in a very simple and consistent manner. The word is...Teal. A warm, moderate, consistent, even application of Teal wash, over everything. The presentation actually looks pleasant.....less flat, deeper color accents, warmer overall, and more filmic on my gear, than the blu ray. The subtle use of hdr and some contrast management definitely helps to highlight and handsomely accentuate lighting effects, flashes from gunfire, flames from explosions, etc. These all look more like instances of real fire and flames, rather than less so.

If you can get along with the Teal revisionism, then you may find this to be a mild upgrade over the slightly flat-looking blu. If Teal's just not your thing, and you were hoping for noteworthy gains in fine detail rather than minor subtle gains in depth and contrast management, then you may want to skip this one?
Old 09-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2008
Brisbane, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaylightsEnd View Post
This 4k landed on my deck. Be forewarned that there is really no appreciable uptick in detail over the blu, but it's not the end of the world, as there's certainly not a LOSS of any detail, either.

The color palette is siginficantly revised, but in a very simple and consistent manner. The word is...Teal. A light, warm, moderate, consistent, even application of Teal, over everything. The presentation actually looks pleasant.....less flat, warmer, and more filmic on my gear, than the blu ray. And the subtle use of hdr definitely helps to highlight and handsomely accentuate lighting effects, flashes from gunfire, flames from explosions, etc. These all look more like instances of real fire and flames, rather than less so.

If you can get along with the Teal revisionism, then you may find this to be a mild upgrade over the slightly flat-looking blu. If Teal's just not your thing, and you were hoping for noteworthy gains in fine detail rather than minor subtle gains in depth and contrast management, then you may want to skip this one?
Well, it is 7.1 over 5.1. Just like the Only the Brave UHD gets Atmos over 5.1... Audio upgrade is something to consider!
Thanks given by:
DaylightsEnd (09-06-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 03:47 AM   #34

May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Well, it is 7.1 over 5.1. Just like the Only the Brave UHD gets Atmos over 5.1... Audio upgrade is something to consider!
A totally valid point I forgot to mention. The audio is a decent upgrade. I actually do prefer the look and sound of the UHD, personally. I'm just well aware that a lack of appreciably sharper detail on a 4k disc usually doesn't bode well for it...
Old 09-06-2019, 08:15 AM   #35
Blu-ray Count

Sep 2006

The film was native 7.1 - Warner has an annoying habit of releasing Dolby Surround 7.1 mixed titles as 5.1 on disc.
Old 11-16-2019, 03:11 AM   #36

Jan 2015

Did this release come with a slipcover originally?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies