Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99
6 hrs ago
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.19

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.89
5 hrs ago
Frozen 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.96

Zombieland: Double Tap 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 10-09-2019, 01:57 AM   #541
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimllfaxit View Post
I just watched the remastered bluray (not 4k) and the upper and lower black bars had loads of little flashing pixels in them and I thought wtf. but the picture was unaffected.
Yeah, that's one of the issues with the disc. Lots of people have seen that, including me. Saw it on both the 4K and the blu.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM   #542

Mar 2018
Adelaide, SA

I was very apprehensive about watching this release so have put it off for months. Finally put it on last night and was amazed at how GOOD it looked. I noticed none of this flickering everyone is talking about and the scene with the cross at the end looked great....and I was really looking for anomalies.
I have LG OLED with Dolby Vision, I wonder if that was the difference? This is definitely the best The Fog has ever looked. Bring on all Carpenter films on 4k...
Old 10-09-2019, 09:51 AM   #543
Blu-ray Knight

May 2018
Arkham, MA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivorp View Post
I have LG OLED with Dolby Vision, I wonder if that was the difference?
Dolby Vision corrects a lot of the issues.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:00 PM   #544

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Yeah, that's one of the issues with the disc. Lots of people have seen that, including me. Saw it on both the 4K and the blu.
Ah right. Cheers .At least I know it's not my gear.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:07 PM   #545

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Is your black level set correctly?
I have a non hdr Panny 4k and blacks a pretty crap on it to be honest. Even when I move my head a few inches from left to right at my seating position I see the blacks getting washed out. I also found this disc to be quite dark like there may be some crush but I could be wrong, not sure if it's always been this dark.
Any tips for improving blacks Geoff? Such as backlight,contrast settings. I have my brightness at 50 which = centre.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #546
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

The TV might be part of the problem. I'm not saying there isn't any schmutz encoded into the black bars (StudioCanal did the same on the Rambos) but the worse the black reproduction is at the display end the more it'll make this stuff stand out, especially on an LCD where the backlighting can go haywire. Brightness at 50 sounds about right, but try bringing it down by a click or two and see what that does. It won't strictly be 'accurate' but it may help with crushing out the flicker in the bars.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #547

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
The TV might be part of the problem. I'm not saying there isn't any schmutz encoded into the black bars (StudioCanal did the same on the Rambos) but the worse the black reproduction is at the display end the more it'll make this stuff stand out, especially on an LCD where the backlighting can go haywire. Brightness at 50 sounds about right, but try bringing it down by a click or two and see what that does. It won't strictly be 'accurate' but it may help with crushing out the flicker in the bars.
Cheers mate. Will try reducing the brightness a couple of clicks.
Old 10-22-2019, 03:52 AM   #548

Nov 2018

Throwing in my experience with this title. I have all the brightness and color filters disabled on my Sony x930E. This is the only 4K or 1080p film out of my 400 or so to be so dark it's not enjoyable. I changed Live Color from Off to High and BAM! Night and day difference. Medium and low did not make any difference. Disabling HDR or setting HLG also fixed it, but the detail and color just tanked.

Setting Live Color positively boosted the image through the entire film. The dark scenes, particularly the ending where Stevie is climbing to the roof, are gorgeous. Another extremely dark and dull scene where Stevie is traversing the long stairway to the lighthouse now looks amazing.

The 1080p BD by default looks amazing. It's like they spent more time on it than the 4K scan. The colors are more vibrant and the brightness seems to me perfect.
Old 10-25-2019, 03:23 AM   #549
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

are the extras from the French release in English and this release doesn't have forced French subs does it
Old 10-25-2019, 03:26 AM   #550
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2015
Beyond the Blue Horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr7936 View Post
are the extras from the French release in English and this release doesn't have forced French subs does it
I don't believe SC have done forced subs and the discs should be the same as the UK release.
Old 10-28-2019, 05:11 AM   #551
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2016

Just watched this again and I still get the flickering on my OLED but this time I didn’t find it to be as much of an issue. There’s a lot to like about this disc and I swear this movie just gets better and better every time I see it. I think it’s might be Carpenter’s best outside of The Thing.
Thanks given by:
Hedji (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 05:51 AM   #552
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradnoyes View Post
I swear this movie just gets better and better every time I see it. I think it’s might be Carpenter’s best outside of The Thing.
This is exactly how I feel about The Fog. My first couple viewings I thought it was one of Carpenter's biggest disappointments but there was still things I loved about it. Now it's one of my top 5 Carpenter flicks and just continues to get better every time I watch it. There's times I feel like it's his best film.

Last edited by MassiveMovieBuff; 10-28-2019 at 05:58 AM.
Thanks given by:
Hedji (10-28-2019), LarryT (10-28-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:31 PM   #553
Power Member

Jan 2015

I'm not sure why it doesn't get more love. I mean, it's loved, but it isn't THING and HALLOWEEN loved. Maybe because Carpenter himself was less than satisfied. I think it's a bone chiller. A perfect ghost yarn for a damp night. Prime Carpenter.

I also like to think of it as the live action version of Garfield's Halloween Special, taking place in the same universe.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:32 PM   #554
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
New York / Steelbook™ - 481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedji View Post
I'm not sure why it doesn't get more love. I mean, it's loved, but it isn't THING and HALLOWEEN loved. Maybe because Carpenter himself was less than satisfied. I think it's a bone chiller. A perfect ghost yarn for a damp night. Prime Carpenter.

I also like to think of it as the live action version of Garfield's Halloween Special, taking place in the same universe.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:47 PM   #555
Power Member

Sep 2008
Toronto

Watched this with a friend last week, she had never seen it before and we were trying to figure out what movie to watch and she was going through my collection and said, "oooh what's The Fog?" Immediately I was like, "okay we're watching this." She's not big on gore so I figured it would be more her taste, and she ended up loving the movie. It really is gorgeously shot, with the wide shots of the California coastline and the rolling hills around Antonio Bay. Also the score is just perfection. It really creates this haunting, sleepy vibe that's extremely effective. Such an underrated JC film.

That being said, I hadn't watched the disc in full since I got the 4K last year but I also noticed flickering in a handful of scenes. It was inconsistent and only appeared here and there and only during night shots. It appeared when Father Malone was alone in his office at the beginning of the movie, and a few other times when there were shots of the fog (the scene at the beginning with the Seagrass in particular). It wasn't consistent from shot to shot either. One shot would have the flickering, then it would cut to another (that was equally as dark) and there wouldn't be any issues. I haven't ever had this problem with any 4K disc before, and I was definitely watching it in DV. This is such a weird disc, and a shame because you can tell that underneath, this was a gorgeous restoration. Someone just screwed up the encoding.

~Matt
Old 10-28-2019, 08:49 PM   #556

Jan 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveMovieBuff View Post
This is exactly how I feel about The Fog. My first couple viewings I thought it was one of Carpenter's biggest disappointments but there was still things I loved about it. Now it's one of my top 5 Carpenter flicks and just continues to get better every time I watch it. There's times I feel like it's his best film.
Hopefully you're right because I just watched it for the first time and was disappointed in my blind buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt89 View Post
It appeared when Father Malone was alone in his office at the beginning of the movie, and a few other times when there were shots of the fog (the scene at the beginning with the Seagrass in particular).
That scene with father Malone at the beginning is where I really noticed it too in DV on my Z9D. I don't think it's a display issue, it's just part of the film.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:05 PM   #557
Blu-ray King

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

There's some flickering that's 100% part of the film as shot and some flickering that's 100% on the encoding. I know that doesn't help the situation any but I thought I'd say it anyway.
Thanks given by:
bytor (10-28-2019), Matt89 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 09:39 PM   #558
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2014
High up in the KAB lighthouse in Spivey Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor View Post
Hopefully you're right because I just watched it for the first time and was disappointed in my blind buy.
Here's a tip. Next time you watch it don't try and compare it to Carpenter's other horror films in terms of scare and overarching dread factor. The Fog definitely doesn't have the same style of those factors as say Halloween, Prince of Darkness, The Thing and In the Mouth of Madness does. At least not to me. Try and think of it as a quaint love letter to the EC comics of the 50s, Tales from the Crypt (similar to Creepshow) and the ghost story films of the 1940s with a completely different type of atmosphere (almost poetic). That's when I really started to appreciate it. The Fog is a different horror animal for Carpenter which is why I think it has never caught on like most of his other works.

Last edited by MassiveMovieBuff; 10-28-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Thanks given by:
bytor (10-28-2019), kong73 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-28-2019, 10:16 PM   #559
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2013
The Forbidden Valley of NE Ohio

I still can't believe Carpenter made Adrienne Barbeau walk down those enormous and creepy stairs to the lighthouse. I would have wiped out for sure.
Thanks given by:
kong73 (10-29-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #560
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Is the SC version the best 4k one to buy?
Thanks given by:
RedHarvest (10-29-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies