Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.30

Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Doctor Sleep 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

Rambo: Last Blood 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Jurassic World: 5-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

3:10 to Yuma 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.15

Spider-Man: Far from Home 4K (Blu-ray)
$23.10

Gods of Egypt 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Transformers: The Ultimate Five Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$41.99

Joker 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 AM   #61

Nov 2009

I watched the UHD yesterday and I can confirm that it has Japanese subtitles, which means that you can easily add the English subtitles if you have an Oppo.

I thought the picture quality was definitely better than the last Japanese edition, which was a bit on the soft side because of the light degraining applied, and the HDR was indeed a nice addition for most of the film (I watched the movie on my Sony 295ES).

The color scheme seemed to me quite different in any case, I didn’t remember the proeminence of the blue and purple colors in the scenes outside the castle. I will have to compare with my bluray from the Miyazaki collection.
Thanks given by:
GenPion (08-01-2019), n0tredom (07-31-2019), professorwho (08-01-2019), reanimator (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 07:00 AM   #62
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensunt View Post
I watched the UHD yesterday and I can confirm that it has Japanese subtitles, which means that you can easily add the English subtitles if you have an Oppo.

I thought the picture quality was definitely better than the last Japanese edition, which was a bit on the soft side because of the light degraining applied, and the HDR was indeed a nice addition for most of the film (I watched the movie on my Sony 295ES).

The color scheme seemed to me quite different in any case, I didn’t remember the proeminence of the blue and purple colors in the scenes outside the castle. I will have to compare with my bluray from the Miyazaki collection.
Page just before this one contains a mega comparison ...........
Old 07-31-2019, 07:29 PM   #63

Apr 2011

Quote:
I will have to compare with my bluray from the Miyazaki collection.
That's what I'm interested in. Please give us insights as soon as you do.
Thanks given by:
Doctorossi (07-31-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 12:02 AM   #64
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

For reference, the US Discotek release is a 1:1 clone of the JP Miyazaki Collection in regards to it's video encode- obviously the audio and subtitles are different.
Thanks given by:
Fredster1 (08-12-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #65
Power Member

Oct 2013
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by slask View Post
That's what I'm interested in. Please give us insights as soon as you do.
It's literally on the previous page. Did no one see NLScavenger's post? There's nothing more to inquire about; the transfer literally makes the previous "denounced" Blu-ray seem like an absolute luxury.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/JBJ0CNNU

Lookin' squeaky clean after that DNR bath at Madame Tussauds™ I see.

And the color palette is so fugly looking too. It now resembles something that of an oil painting.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/DLDYLNNX

YUCK.
Thanks given by:
Ramble Tamble-TAN (08-14-2019), s1aver (08-12-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 04:08 PM   #66

Nov 2009
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
It's literally on the previous page. Did no one see NLScavenger's post? There's nothing more to inquire about; the transfer literally makes the previous "denounced" Blu-ray seem like an absolute luxury.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/JBJ0CNNU

Lookin' squeaky clean after that DNR bath at Madame Tussauds™ I see.

And the color palette is so fugly looking too. It now resembles something that of an oil painting.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-co...rison/DLDYLNNX

YUCK.
So it’s a "DNR bath" and the color palette makes it look like an ”oil painting”?

Based on two zoomed in screenshots, compressed?

Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #67
Power Member

Oct 2013
-
-
-

Quote:
So it’s a "DNR bath" and the color palette makes it look like an ”oil painting”?

Based on two zoomed in screenshots, compressed?

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. You really think the "jpeg" compression is skewing the appearance of what's on the UHD?? Those caps are legit. Just look at TMS' other atrocities!

And the second cap isn't zoomed smart one. If that's you're sort of thing than by all means have at it. I can't exactly see why you'd be perturbed based on the gargantuan amount of other controversial Blu-rays in your collection - quantity over quality as they say.
Thanks given by:
Ramble Tamble-TAN (08-14-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #68

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseY0ur1llusi0n View Post
I'm not sure what you're trying to get at. You really think the "jpeg" compression is skewing the appearance of what's on the UHD?? Those caps are legit. Just look at TMS' other atrocities!

And the second cap isn't zoomed smart one. If that's you're sort of thing than by all means have at it. I can't exactly see why you'd be perturbed based on the gargantuan amount of other controversial Blu-rays in your collection - quantity over quality as they say.
Hahaha , you really look like the typical troll, so easily manipulated by screenshots

Well, in my ignore list you go and end of discussion with you.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #69

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
For reference, the US Discotek release is a 1:1 clone of the JP Miyazaki Collection in regards to it's video encode- obviously the audio and subtitles are different.
What do you mean by "JP Miyazaki Collection"? Could you specify the product code or send a link? Being a novice, I'm so confused by all the releases/scans this film has. I'm trying to find out which version to buy and I'm going crazy lol
Old 08-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #70
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2013
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster1 View Post
What do you mean by "JP Miyazaki Collection"? Could you specify the product code or send a link? Being a novice, I'm so confused by all the releases/scans this film has. I'm trying to find out which version to buy and I'm going crazy lol
professorwho is referring to this Japanese box set from 2014 which had a at that time brand new remaster of Castle of Cagliostro, but no English subtitles were included with Castle of Cagliostro

The remaster was also released separately in Japan in 2014 with English subtitles:

And in 2015 the remaster was released in the US. The video encode is bit-for-bit identical to the above two releases.

The same scan was used for the 4K UHD release, but with different color grading and more digital noise reduction.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #71

Aug 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
professorwho is referring to this Japanese box set from 2014 which had a at that time brand new remaster of Castle of Cagliostro, but no English subtitles were included with Castle of Cagliostro

The remaster was also released separately in Japan in 2014 with English subtitles:

And in 2015 the remaster was released in the US. The video encode is bit-for-bit identical to the above two releases.
Wow thanks for the fast response! It's more clear now.
The 2014 remaster seems to be considered the best version, however I'm watching some screenshots (thanks for posting that Japanese link!) and it seems that it has less grain with some detail being lost, and a yellow-ish tint. Or maybe I'm too used to the old scan? (I've watched the old DVD release lots of times as a kid)
Old 08-13-2019, 03:26 PM   #72

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLScavenger View Post
The same scan was used for the 4K UHD release, but with different color grading and more digital noise reduction.
Old 08-16-2019, 02:20 AM   #73

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredster1 View Post
Or maybe I'm too used to the old scan? (I've watched the old DVD release lots of times as a kid)
I'd go for that.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:45 PM   #74

Sep 2015
United States

i'm confused...
Do I do 4k, or don't buy it and go for another release?
Old 11-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #75
Expert Member

Mar 2016

Damn. At this point, I'm more worried than excited for next year's Akira release. Has all the modern digital animation tricked Japan into thinking grain and detail are bad?
Old 11-03-2019, 07:24 PM   #76
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2017
Southeast Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bn43 View Post
Damn. At this point, I'm more worried than excited for next year's Akira release. Has all the modern digital animation tricked Japan into thinking grain and detail are bad?
No, it's just TMS who has been doing the insane DNR.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #77
Expert Member

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorwho View Post
No, it's just TMS who has been doing the insane DNR.
But Ghost in the Shell is DNRd too. Not as badly as this, but it's not good. I just don't see a reason to be excited for future releases.
Old 11-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #78

Jul 2019
North Dakota

Glad I found this. I was thinking of importing this but now I'm sticking to my Discotek copy.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies > International Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Movies

Tags
cagliostro, lupin the third, miyazaki