Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Pixels 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.62
1 hr ago
The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$25.99
7 hrs ago
Man of Steel 3D (Blu-ray)
$21.00

Star Trek Beyond 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.75

G-Force 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.44

Long Day's Journey Into Night 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.98

The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.59

Wings 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.91

Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Yogi Bear 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.00

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA
20th Century Fox The Peanuts Movie (2015) Blu-ray 3D [Region Free]

Due out in 2015.

Is Hollywood ready for that big blockhead in a third dimension?

From Moviefone:
Quote:
The previously announced big-screen adaptation of Charles Schulz’s beloved “Peanuts” comic is already getting a facelift: 20th Century Fox announced that the animated film will be released in 3D.

Fox chairman Jim Gianopulos made the announcement at CinemaCon on Thursday, unveiling a 3D image of Charlie Brown’s blockhead face.

“This will forever change the face of animation,” Gianopulos said. “Prepare to have your minds blown.”

That pronouncement is sure to rouse excitement among the iconic comic’s diehard fans, who’ve gone more than three decades without a “Peanuts” feature in theaters. (The last movie outing for the Peanuts gang was 1980’s “Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown (And Don’t Come Back!!)”) Schulz, who died in 2000, was notoriously hesitant to release the film rights to the long-running comic, but his heirs believe that his vision can now be properly carried out.

“We have been working on this project for years,” said Craig Schulz, Charles’s son and the president of Charles M. Schulz Creative Associates. “We finally felt the time was right and the technology is where we need it to be to create this film.”

Craig Schulz wrote the film with his son and Charles’s grandson, Bryan Schulz. The film is slated to be directed by Steve Martino (“Ice Age: Continental Drift,” “Horton Hears a Who”), who said that convincing the Schulz family to release the rights to the comic took two years.

“Peanuts 3D” is expected in theaters on November 15, 2015, coinciding with the 65th anniversary of the comic’s debut.
Interesting.

Do you guys think they will shape out figures like Lion King's 3D, or do you think they will stick to layering flat cells in some sort of nostalgic attempt? Like the working for peanuts short from Disney?

Maybe they will render actual 3d characters? Maybe they will stick to draw + convert?

Having watched a lot of these films growing up, I'm curious to see what they will do and how they will keep control of the comic as Charles probably would have wanted them to.

All in all, I'm not all too excited really but this did grab my curiosity and interest, I wanted to share in case anyone else hadn't seen it yet.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
“This will forever change the face of animation,” Gianopulos said. “Prepare to have your minds blown.”
If it'll look like a solid version of the MetLife ads, my mind's made of harder stuff.
And if it's from the Horton director, even more so.

(Back when John Hughes was a roll for making the same movie two or three times in a row, his brief burst of self-confidence over the live-action "Dennis the Menace" had him briefly considering a live-action Peanuts....After all, Lucy, well, she was just like the bratty Margaret girl, wasn't she, same movie, what's the big deal?
If you think you can picture what a "John Hughes-comedy Peanuts" would look like, that's what I'm picturing with a Horton/Ice Age Peanuts.)
Old 05-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Galveston, TX

I bet it will be flat characters in a mostly CGI-rendered world.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Why 3d????! Can't we have it in traditional 2d? It'll no doubt be post converted 3d like every other movie that's been in 3d. 3d is suuuch a cash grab.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #5

Oct 2011

It's all being done in computer 3D animation. No cel art. 3D in the announcement didn't mean 3D stereo it meant 3D computer animation, but of course it will probably be in stereo 3D as well.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #6
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
It's all being done in computer 3D animation. No cel art. 3D in the announcement didn't mean 3D stereo it meant 3D computer animation, but of course it will probably be in stereo 3D as well.
IOW, solid CGI animation, so we'll see, wow, Charlie Brown's head is actually spherical instead of just circular!

Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA
Thumbs up

Thanks JSmith82 for posting this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange11 View Post
I bet it will be flat characters in a mostly CGI-rendered world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
Good info, thanks.
I read on Blue Sky Studio's site they're excited to be working on Peanuts the movie. They're latest film, Epic is also in 3D, along with the Ice Age 3D movies.

I wouldn't mind cel shaded computer animation, which can look awesome if done right. I think they need to be true to Charles Schulz' hand drawn style to really capture the look. Even with flat colors, they can have dimension to their bodies.
Old 05-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

Quote:
20th Century Fox announced that the animated film will be released in 3D.
Quite a deceiving announcement, with 3D being more of a prime format these days I generally immediately think stereo when somebody states something is being released in 3D.

Guess I shouldn't assume - like Me First said "when you assume things, you make an A$$ out of U and ME"..
Old 05-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #9
Expert Member

Feb 2012
Missouri, USA

http://www.boxoffice.com/statistics/3d-release-calendar

Distributed by Fox, there is an untitled Peanuts film scheduled for theatrical release on Nov 6, 2015 in Stereo 3D.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #10

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
If it'll look like a solid version of the MetLife ads, my mind's made of harder stuff.
MetLife "Good Call" - YouTube
And if it's from the Horton director, even more so.

(Back when John Hughes was a roll for making the same movie two or three times in a row, his brief burst of self-confidence over the live-action "Dennis the Menace" had him briefly considering a live-action Peanuts....After all, Lucy, well, she was just like the bratty Margaret girl, wasn't she, same movie, what's the big deal?
If you think you can picture what a "John Hughes-comedy Peanuts" would look like, that's what I'm picturing with a Horton/Ice Age Peanuts.)
Actually, there was a live action Peanuts.

It was a tv special aired on one of the big three networks in the 1970's. I think it was NBC, iirc.

However, they had a human actor playing Snoopy.

Not even in a dog costume. Or anything like it.

Although he was playing a dog, you could see he was just any normal human actor. As that's how it looked. Since he wasn't in any costume.

I don't remember if it used the Peanuts name or the Snoopy name, or the Charlie Brown name

it was horrible.

Although at the same time as a kid, I liked the animated specials.

And no, it wasn't because it was live-action that I hated it. It was just horrible. Even as a kid at the time, I watched and liked certain other live-action tv shows and movies.

Last edited by 3Dfan; 04-23-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #11
Special Member

Jul 2009

That was the stage show "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown", which had adult actors, with Snoopy being a human with no costume or anything. For some people it works, for some it doesn't.

I had some Peanuts View-Master reels in the 70s that used photos of 3-D figures (looked carved out of wood) rather than drawings. They looked pretty weird.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:35 PM   #12
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

I will go and see this maybe with my Grandma she is a huge Peanuts fan, as some one pointed out a lot of kids will be like what no talking dog. I wonder if we will get a dream sequence where Snoopy dreams about fighting the Red Baron.
Old 06-17-2015, 10:54 PM   #13
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Default Peanuts (2015) 3D

Thanks given by:
bud_brigman (06-18-2015), Hardkore (06-18-2015), luv2shop (06-17-2015), Paul H (06-18-2015), Taygan315 (08-22-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:59 PM   #14
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

this looks cute - can't wait.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:15 PM   #15
Special Member

Apr 2011
USA

There is something so endearing about Peanuts. Can't wait to see it.
Old 06-18-2015, 12:11 AM   #16
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

3D is nice in the trailer. High medium layers of 3D (compared to if it was mild).
This looks genuine to the side view style of the cartoons, which is great.
Thanks given by:
Paul H (06-18-2015)
Old 06-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #17
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Love love LOVE the art style. Can't wait.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:41 PM   #18
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2011
USA

Yes, it's a relief they didn't go for fully rounded characters and 3D world, aside from some special scenes with Snoopy so far flying, like something from Pixar, since the Charlie Brown cartoons and comics have always been a 2D side view, like South Park for example, but in stereo 3D here.
Old 08-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #19
Blu-ray Count

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

not really 3D news, but Dolby just updated their master Atmos (theatrically) list ... and this is getting the deluxe mix ... really? wow!! I assume all the Red Baron scenes will sound epic
Old 08-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubstar View Post
not really 3D news, but Dolby just updated their master Atmos (theatrically) list ... and this is getting the deluxe mix ... really? wow!! I assume all the Red Baron scenes will sound epic
Epic and Rio 2 got Atmos mixes, and the recent DreamWorks films (also released by Fox) have, so it isn't a surprise.

Though I question if I will actually have the option of seeing it in Atmos, for instance American Ultra, Fantastic Four, and Minions were not available at any of the three NYC Atmos locations- which usually show non-Atmos mixes instead (I think Pixels wasn't either, but it was in IMAX and I would personally choose IMAX or a theater with Atmos anyway).
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies