Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
23 hrs ago
Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Blu-ray)
$112.49

Teen Titans: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$38.49

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$22.99
17 hrs ago
Mission: Impossible - 6-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$50.39

The Perils of Gwendoline in the Land of the Yik Yak (Blu-ray)
$22.99
9 hrs ago
The Secret Life of Pets 2 (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Ad Astra 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Star Trek: Discovery - Season Two (Blu-ray)
$34.99

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.99
23 hrs ago
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$179.99

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood 4K (Blu-ray)
$56.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #1

Aug 2012
LDN
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL
Default Aesthetics Vs. Performance?

I Just wondered what you prefer in a speaker Aesthetics or Performance?

For example if there were 2 Speakers with the same price, and one looked sexy as hell and the other produced the better sound.

I'm not saying the good looking one did not produce great sound, it's just the second speaker is better.

What one would you buy?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
Blu-ray Duke

May 2011
Texas

Performance. I get over the aesthetics within weeks and the "stuff" blends in.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Sorry, but is this even worthy of discussion? If someone chooses aesthetics over performance they shouldn't even be in this hobby. JMHO.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
Power Member

Mar 2009
Far Southside Chicago (Orland Park)

The whole reason for speakers is to produce sound as close as the original sound. So it is performance. Johnny said it all.
Old 01-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

+1

Although I do know that wives can have the final word for some guys. I am lucky mine let's me get what I want.
Old 01-20-2013, 02:53 PM   #6

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
I Just wondered what you prefer in a speaker Aesthetics or Performance?

For example if there were 2 Speakers with the same price, and one looked sexy as hell and the other produced the better sound.

I'm not saying the good looking one did not produce great sound, it's just the second speaker is better.

What one would you buy?
PERFORMANCE!!!!!! End of discussion
Old 01-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Power Member

Apr 2009
California

Performance. I did not like the look of my Martin Logans at first, but I have grown to love the look of them.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA
Default Both - Why Settle?

The simple answer is, price.

If you're looking at a speaker that sounds acceptable, but is as ugly as a dog's hind leg, why the heck would you spend cash money on it?

Likewise, if if was as pretty as a tropical sunset, and sounded like seven cats in a canvas bag, how big would the gun have to be that's pointed at your head before you coughed up the cash?

I saw some speakers at Fry's once. The were from a manufacturer I will not name, but it starts with P and rhymes with "yolk". They sounded fine, driven by a Yamaha receiver with some heft, and I had been reading up on them. They looked pretty good in the pictures.

When I saw them, I was stunned. I mean, Got Dam. They looked cheap, had some kind of wallpaper covering on the sides that was starting to peel, had these odd-looking feet that looked wobbly and made it look like a 1950's rocketship, and made me sure I wouldn't want that monstrosity in my living room.

But damn, they sounded nice! My wife, seeing my dilemma, led me away while I was babbling, "Well, maybe we can just cover the thing with a blanket, perhaps it won't attenuate the sound..."

Then I was dragged to a high end store, where she wanted to look at some speakers from M****** Audio, that were drop dead gorgeous, and sounded thin. (I found out later they were underpowered in the viewing room, which is dangerous when evaluating speakers). I dismissed them out of hand - they had to sound good, skip the looks. I started grumbling, ticked off my wife (she was decorating, I was in man-cave mode), so she got mad, went over to some Vienna Acoustics stuff at a much higher price, and demanded those. It's what we left with.

We've wound up spending a lot more money over time than I intended - on Sonus Faber, Vienna Acoustics, Definitive Technology Mythos, and JL Audio subs - but it was worth it.

Don't compromise. Wait, if you have to. Get both - DEMAND both - from speaker manufacturers. They can do it, giving you both good looks and good performance. Can't let them slide.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
PERFORMANCE!!!!!! End of discussion
Yeah, right. Spoken by somebody who has good-looking gear, that sounds incredible. Where's the "versus" part in your place?
Old 01-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mywhitenoise View Post
Performance. I did not like the look of my Martin Logans at first, but I have grown to love the look of them.
Look, don't take this wrong, but you used to have bad taste.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

The question was a simple one "Aesthetics vs Performance". That question only has one answer and we all know what it is.

However, if a speaker is just plain butt-ugly, regardless of performance, I wouldn't buy it. I expect to get both and have always made my speaker purchase decisions with that requirement. So yes, aesthetics do play a part, but not in the context of the original question.

I've owned all sorts of speakers from BIC Venturi Formula 4, Celestion Ditton 66, Altec Lansing Stonehenge, Klipsch Heresy Signature II's, Totem Mites, Totem Sttafs and now the Genesis G7.1f. All of them met both the performance levels I was seeking and had an aesthetic appeal. There is no reason one can't get both.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Blu-ray Count

Feb 2008
In my HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
The question was a simple one "Aesthetics vs Performance". That question only has one answer and we all know what it is.

However, if a speaker is just plain butt-ugly, regardless of performance, I wouldn't buy it. I expect to get both and have always made my speaker purchase decisions with that requirement. So yes, aesthetics do play a part, but not in the context of the original question.

I've owned all sorts of speakers from BIC Venturi Formula 4, Celestion Ditton 66, Altec Lansing Stonehenge, Klipsch Heresy Signature II's, Totem Mites, Totem Sttafs and now the Genesis G7.1f. All of them met both the performance levels I was seeking and had an aesthetic appeal. There is no reason one can't get both.
Totally agree with this.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
Special Member

Nov 2009

Aesthetics are important to me. Some speakers look so ugly that it is like having this weird modern art piece in your room. Also, speakers are off 50% of the time, so all you can do is look at them. Even if they were on, it would affect my listening enjoyment staring at some ugly speakers.

But there lies the beauty of today's speaker market: there are so many choices out there. Anyone settling on some ugly speakers just for great sound didn't look hard enough.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #14
Banned

Feb 2012

If they looked just downright awful, I'd go with the better looking set. I've found to get the better aesthetics and sound, you will pay a considerable amount more. I know some people have an issue with paying for looks but I like style just as much as I want substance.

That said, I bought a pair of Beats By Dre over a better set of headphones because they felt better and looked cooler. I guess I just don't care. I'll buy whatever I like overall.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #15

Aug 2012
LDN
Send a message via Skype™ to PaniqL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post
Aesthetics are important to me. Some speakers look so ugly that it is like having this weird modern art piece in your room. Also, speakers are off 50% of the time, so all you can do is look at them. Even if they were on, it would affect my listening enjoyment staring at some ugly speakers.

But there lies the beauty of today's speaker market: there are so many choices out there. Anyone settling on some ugly speakers just for great sound didn't look hard enough.
This is the side that I am on.
I admit my first question was a little wide and people could interpret it in different ways, but price does play a huge role.

If the speakers are expensive there is a pretty good chance that they will look good and sound good.

But for me I am not fussed about getting the perfect audio.
If the speakers are the same price, they would probably have very similar performances, if they were that close I would probably choose the good looking ones. And having the better looking speakers will contribute to the way my room looks when nothing is playing.

I totally understand that there are some audioholics out there that take little things in speakers seriously but that's just not me.

I would prefer having good looking speakers, as the sound will probably be unnoticeable to the average person.

Like I said some decent performing speakers will probably look great.

And I think your right when you say that people with ugly but good performing speakers did not look hard enough.

Of course there are exceptions like maybe having speakers behind a screen or something similar.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post

That's something I agree with, 100%.

There are some anonymous looking speakers that sound great, no problem there. Performance wins.

Ugly speakers? Back away, save your money, keep looking around.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:20 PM   #17

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Yeah, right. Spoken by somebody who has good-looking gear, that sounds incredible. Where's the "versus" part in your place?
Well, most people don't like big box speakers...my setup is not the most lovely, I could have smaller ..thinner speakers, but I wouldnt be happy now - would I?
Old 01-20-2013, 11:23 PM   #18

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali157 View Post

I listen in the dark or subdued light - however, I have come to love wood grains and types, so yeah put a nice veneer - especially an exotic on on there, and I would more than likely love the look.
Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 PM   #19

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaniqL View Post
This is the side that I am on.
I admit my first question was a little wide and people could interpret it in different ways, but price does play a huge role.

If the speakers are expensive there is a pretty good chance that they will look good and sound good.

But for me I am not fussed about getting the perfect audio.
If the speakers are the same price, they would probably have very similar performances, if they were that close I would probably choose the good looking ones. And having the better looking speakers will contribute to the way my room looks when nothing is playing.

I totally understand that there are some audioholics out there that take little things in speakers seriously but that's just not me.

I would prefer having good looking speakers, as the sound will probably be unnoticeable to the average person.

Like I said some decent performing speakers will probably look great.

And I think your right when you say that people with ugly but good performing speakers did not look hard enough.

Of course there are exceptions like maybe having speakers behind a screen or something similar.
Many people believe that the Klipsch Heritage speakers are butt ugly (I.e. large baffles, dominate any room they are in) however,to equal their performance, I would have to spent a lot more. It's also a matter of personal taste... I was shocked that Blu-Dog said my system looked good, I'm humbled
Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 AM   #20

Jan 2013
Toronto, Ontario

I would take the performance over the looks of a speaker. Most speakers these days look really good though. I would land on the speakers purely on the sound and then the looks. After I chose the speakers than most manufacturers allow certain color finishes as well as if veneer or gloss finish. I am male and will admit that I am a little vain and expect a good looking speaker from the manufacturer if I am spending my money on them but not at the cost of performance.

Also, it's all a matter of taste on both aspects. On some speakers I hated the sound and the looks but somebody might think the opposite but its you that has to live with listening and looking at those speakers everyday. Interesting topic though.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers