Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Princess Mononoke (Blu-ray)
$36.71

1984 (Blu-ray)
$27.37
6 hrs ago
Alien 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Europa Europa (Blu-ray)
$27.37
6 hrs ago
Aquaman 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Aquaman (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Game of Thrones: The Complete Eighth Season 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
13 hrs ago
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Border (Blu-ray)
$19.98
18 hrs ago
Frankenstein 1970 (Blu-ray)
$17.71
7 hrs ago
Leprechaun Returns (Blu-ray)
$10.69

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems

Old 02-04-2019, 01:17 AM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007
AB, Canada PSNetwork: Rike255
Default Polk Audio RTiA9 with amp?

I bought a pair of Polk Audio RTiA9's about a month ago and connected them to my Marantz SR7007 receiver. I've been very happy with them so far, but unfortunately I did some reading online and am now having some concerns. I don't know much about the technical details, the RTiA9 speakers say recommended amplifier power between 50W - 500W, and my marantz says 125W/ch...but it's never that simple is it

There are many posts on the pa forum explaining that these speakers require a separate amp because no receiver is able to power them. Concerns range from the speakers being hindered all the way up to them being destroyed from underpowering.

I looked around for a "cheap" 2-channel amp (something like the Emotiva A300), but before diving in I would really like to know if these posts are true. Again I've been happy until now, but I usually listen at low volumes and don't really want to worry about damaging my speakers if I increase the volume too much or if I'm "not getting the most out of my speakers".

Any suggestions/feedback for me?
Old 02-20-2019, 03:09 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2012
Los Angeles, CA

I own the RTiA9 tower speakers and power them with my Emotiva XPA3 Gen3. I also use the Emotiva for my CSiA6 center channel speaker.

I have noticed the A9's open up more using the Emotiva than my Marantz AVR. They sound a bit muted with the AVR.

I also recommend higher quality speaker wires. I use Audioquest cables for my system. I noticed increased clarity when I upgraded to Audioquest cables. For the A9's and CSiA6 I use Audioquest Type 4 cables. And, for the Emotiva to the AVR I use Audioquest Greyhound cables.

Finally, I recommend a decent quality power conditioner and decent quality power cables. Again, I noticed an increase in sound quality after upgrading. I use Pangea power cables, AC-9 for my Emotiva and Marantz. And, AC-14 for my Oppo.

With that said, I am waiting for a good sale to upgrade to the Polk LSiM series speakers. The A9's are very good but I want to see and hear what the 707's have to offer.
Thanks given by:
Rike255 (03-11-2019)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Pre/Pro, Amplifiers and Separate Systems