Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

The Nun (Blu-ray)
$22.99
10 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
10 hrs ago
Freedom Fighters: The Ray (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
5 hrs ago
First Man 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.45
12 hrs ago
Mamma Mia! (Blu-ray)
$6.99
20 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
25 min ago
Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Yeah, I picked this up, even though I'd heard lackluster comments about the PQ. Watched the other night; disappointing, even in motion. I was hoping for some nice crisp moments, especially with those close-up shots of ice (gelatin) caked on leaves and wind chimes.

Oh well. Still an almost perfect film, and still an upgrade over the pan&scan I had on dvr. At least I got it on the half-off sale...
Old 08-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebard View Post
Yeah, I picked this up, even though I'd heard lackluster comments about the PQ. Watched the other night; disappointing, even in motion. I was hoping for some nice crisp moments, especially with those close-up shots of ice (gelatin) caked on leaves and wind chimes.

Oh well. Still an almost perfect film, and still an upgrade over the pan&scan I had on dvr. At least I got it on the half-off sale...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/60949/ice-storm-the/

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9088/ice_storm.html

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/reviews/ice_storm.htm
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #43
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Ladies and Gentleman. Proof as to why not to visit these sites for honest reviews in regards to PQ.

Didn't DVDBeaver just release a review on Disneys The Sword in the Stone and refer to it's transfer as film-like?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Posting links to some good reviews doesn't change the fact that
Quote:
I'd heard lackluster comments about the PQ.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/858316/the...scussion/20550
http://www.criterionforum.org/DVD-re...ollection/1169
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-I.../70521/#Review
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #45
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tama View Post
Ladies and Gentleman. Proof as to why not to visit these sites for honest reviews in regards to PQ.

Didn't DVDBeaver just release a review on Disneys The Sword in the Stone and refer to it's transfer as film-like?
Yeah, I have no idea why they get so much traffic
Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #46
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Quote:
The evidence pile had already engulfed the room.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:59 PM   #47
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmike View Post
Yeah, I have no idea why they get so much traffic
Probably due to all the screencaps they offer with each review, but isn't there some controversy concerning those at times?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #48
Banned

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post
Probably due to all the screencaps they offer with each review, but isn't there some controversy concerning those at times?
Beaver have never to my knowledge posted accurate shots, the others I have rarely gone near as I have heard worse
Old 08-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #49
Blu-ray Baron

Jan 2008

Yes, there have been numerous cases of the caps not representing the actual discs.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #50
Expert Member

Jul 2011
Los Angeles

Wow, this is the worst I've seen from Criterion. The edge enhancement is really ugly. I thought something was wrong with my player, because I never gathered Criterion would put out something this bad, but after checking this thread I guess I'm not the only one seeing problems.

Last edited by Cvalda; 11-30-2013 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:36 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

Quote:

Look, you can disagree if you want to. I didn't write that DVDTalk review, nor do I own the disc, so I have no opinion on this particular title. But if you're insinuating we get paid off to give positive reviews, that I have to take issues with, because it's ridiculous.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM   #52

Aug 2011
Rhode Island

Having read the description, I found the synopsis to be very interesting and so I put it on my "to get" list. Thankfully, I recieved this film as a gift this past Christmas and just watched it the other night. I was very pleased with the film as I found the cast to be great. The ending, as others have said, does pack a punch. I thought this was going to be a blind viewing when I finally watched it, but turns out, I had caught bits and pieces of Ice Storm years ago on TV (I remembered seeing the scene with Elijah Wood and Christina Ricci in the living room; that's what jogged my memory.) For those who are on the fence, I would recommend the movie. You won't be disappointed!
Old 07-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #53

Jul 2017
Pennsylvania

Bumping this thread to warn anybody on the fence about this one during the BN sale to avoid it. Given my expectations for the film, format and label I'd say this is the most disappointing disc I've ever bought. Thankfully this release seems to retain the BN sale value on eBay (I know because I've been bidding on them for the past few months) so I should at least be able to get my money back after checking out the extras.

Seriously though, what the hell happened here? CC claims it's 'Director-Approved'. Has CC ever fixed a botched release? Or do I need to hope and pray this eventually gets some new attention for a 4K release?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:58 AM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee Jack View Post
Seriously though, what the hell happened here? CC claims it's 'Director-Approved'.
They probably mean he approved the master they created for their DVD release in 2008. Scanner technologies and approval standards were different then.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

The booklet states that they did a 2K master off of a 4K IP scan. I wonder why they couldn't use the OCN.

Since I made the post on this page above, I bought the disc and watched it and it does indeed look mediocre, although it seems odd to me to tell people not to buy it at all if there's no superior alternative. I do think it's a pretty great movie.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:29 PM   #56
Special Member

Jan 2008
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
When I was 9 years old my dad took my whole family to see this movie. We walked out pretty early into it. For whatever reason he thought it was a disaster movie about people stranded in an actual ice storm.
Ironically, one year after this movie was the Ice Storm of 1998 & was a HUGE disaster in Northern New York, Canada & Maine. 65 below zero temps. 1-2 inches of ice on EVERYTHING & places without power for over 2 weeks. I lived through it my Senior year of HS. it sucked.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America