Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$69.99
7 hrs ago
Rampage (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Mamma Mia! (Blu-ray)
$6.99
5 hrs ago
Freedom Fighters: The Ray (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
The Equalizer 2 (Blu-ray)
$26.34

Constantine: City of Demons: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Maze Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Invisible Man: Complete Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.99

The Night Strangler (Blu-ray)
$19.34

Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
A Star Is Born (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #101
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2011
Massachusetts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodyslide View Post
Would like to see Kevin Smith write one of the upcoming Animated Superman movies with his original idea for Superman Lives....
I think during one of his Q & As someone asked about this and he said they were considering turning his script into comic book mini-series.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #102
Power Member

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Yeah, they talk about it on the blu-ray, but as I recall both Smith and Schnepp were against the idea for different reasons.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:41 PM   #103
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2010
Illinois

Just watched this today. My brief thoughts (from my Letterboxd review):

"Development Hell doesn't happen with no-name directors. It happens only with famous directors that a studio doesn't dare break up with. And that's how you end up for two years just polishing a turd until finally somebody walks away, at great cost."

The Death of Superman Lives is a cautionary tale of (re)imagination gone awry, but it's also an example of common sense and sanity prevailing. No matter how much work or money has gone into a project, it's never too late to kill it if it's going to be just awful.

Superman Lives seems like it was just bad idea after bad idea. From the story to the concept designs to the casting to... well, everything. The fact that it made it as far as it did is absolutely baffling. You can only credit that to the fact that it had such big, successful people attached to it. Hence the quote at the top of this review from one of the documentary's interviewees.

The subject matter is the star here. I am always fascinated to hear about films that didn't get made, especially the further along they got, and this film got about as far as you can without actually getting made. The documentary itself does what it sets out to do - it gives you a look at what the film might have been and what went wrong to pull the plug - but it's really just a collection of interviews. The parts added by the documentary filmmakers - bad re-enactments of unfilmed sequences, etc - are really pretty bad.

The documentary's biggest weakness is its director, Jon Schnepp. I credit the guy for launching this project and getting it made to give us all an unprecedented look behind the curtain, but Schnepp himself is just awful. In the first two seconds of his introduction, I knew I hated him as a narrator/host. Someone clearly told him to be more animated when he speaks, so he flails his hands around as he speaks in the most forced, awkward way. Luckily it turns out they don't return to this after this introduction. As an interviewer he doesn't fare much better, kissing the ass of whomever he is interviewing at the time, agreeing with everything they say and never challenging their ideas. (I also think, if you're going to interview people - especially onscreen - maybe dress professionally instead of going in wearing a fanboy t-shirt and messed up hair.)

While most of us go into this documentary like gawkers watching a trainwreck, Schnepp seems to have made this as an attempt to defend the project. He is only person still trying to polish the proverbial turd.
Thanks given by:
dcfan88 (10-14-2016)
Old 09-16-2015, 07:29 PM   #104
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Of the three recent "films which never happened" documentaries (Jodowsky's Dune and Lost Soul were the other two) this was by far the least interesting. I don't think the resulting film would have been very good and the reasons why it never happened were relatively mundane. The other two documentaries were about far more intriguing projects and more interesting production complications, with more charismatic or enigmatic film makers at their centre.
Old 09-17-2015, 12:46 AM   #105
Blu-ray Prince

Feb 2010
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Of the three recent "films which never happened" documentaries (Jodowsky's Dune and Lost Soul were the other two) this was by far the least interesting. I don't think the resulting film would have been very good and the reasons why it never happened were relatively mundane. The other two documentaries were about far more intriguing projects and more interesting production complications, with more charismatic or enigmatic film makers at their centre.
I found this one interesting simply because the movie was going to be such a trainwreck. So in this case you watch just to try to see "what were they thinking?"

Are there many other "cancelled projects" documentaries like this? Besides the other two Todd mentioned, I know of Lost in La Mancha, and then the proposed (but not yet happening) documentary on George Miller's Justice League. I'd love to watch more if you guys have any recommendations.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:00 AM   #106
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemaphile View Post
I found this one interesting simply because the movie was going to be such a trainwreck. So in this case you watch just to try to see "what were they thinking?"

Are there many other "cancelled projects" documentaries like this? Besides the other two Todd mentioned, I know of Lost in La Mancha, and then the proposed (but not yet happening) documentary on George Miller's Justice League. I'd love to watch more if you guys have any recommendations.
Maybe the film would have been a trainwreck, but it could have been an interesting one and it would have probably less boring than Superman Returns or Man of Steel. It looked closer to Mars Attacks than to other Superman films, but that in itself could have been interesting. To me Superman (or any superhero mythology)isn't sacred enough that you can't mess with it if you mess with it creatively and maybe the film would have at least been entertaining. It came at a point in Tim Burton's career when he still made the odd decent film. In the end neither the proposed film, it's director or its production history were extraordinary enough to hold my attention to the degree the other two documentaries did.

Henri-Georges Clouzeaut's Inferno is another documentary about a film which never was.

Despite the Gods is a documentary about Jennifer Lynch making a horror film called Hissss in India which ended up a trainwreck due to Bollywood interference and production practises, thought the film does exist even if Lynch has disowned it.

Wreckage and Rage, the documentary about Alien3 is similar to Lost Soul in documenting the versions of Alien3 that never were and the troubled production of the film which resulted.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 09-17-2015 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:13 AM   #107
Power Member

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
Henri-Georges Clouzeaut's Inferno is another documentary about a film which never was.
Cool! Never heard of this one, shall look into it.

Quote:
Despite the Gods is a documentary about Jennifer Lynch making a horror film called Hissss in India which ended up a trainwreck due to Bollywood interference and production practises, thought the film does exist even if Lynch has disowned it.
Yeah, I've been trying to find this one. I've seen Hissss and it has some interesting qualities, at least.
Old 09-17-2015, 07:31 AM   #108
Banned

Sep 2010

Jon Schnepp isn't any Charles de Lauzirika nor Laurent Bouzereau. Man is socially awkward and belongs on farcical comedies such as The Big Bang Theory.
This "documentary" to put it lightly was almost unbearable to sit through. Highly amateurish and a basement dweller.

Last edited by Harry Tasker 2525; 09-17-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #109
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2016
Virginia, U.S.A.

I missed the kickstarter but bought it once the website was up.
To anyone on the fence about this BUY IT! It's informative, interesting, and very detailed. This disc also has A TON of special features (It literally took me a few days to watch everything on this disc)
Old 10-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #110
Special Member

Sep 2009
North Carolina USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfan88 View Post
I missed the kickstarter but bought it once the website was up.
To anyone on the fence about this BUY IT! It's informative, interesting, and very detailed. This disc also has A TON of special features (It literally took me a few days to watch everything on this disc)
Except it's boring, biased, and padded with useless information that drags the whole thing down. Jon Peters is a nut and needed to be called out on the bull**** he was spewing. No one is buying that he was a street fighter, one bit. The way this doc was put together, resembled that of a studio backed featurette for a early 2000's DVD special features disc.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #111
Power Member

Sep 2012
The British Empire

Anyone recently buy this? I ordered it over two months ago and have received nothing and have e-mailed them to inquire and also heard nothing?
Old 07-14-2018, 11:21 PM   #112

Aug 2016

Want to give a heads up.Jon Schnepp ,the writer/director of "The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened?" and regular pundit on Collider Videos(as well as back round directing animation) is in critical condition at the hospital.

More info can be found here at Holly Payne's twitter(she is his significant other and worked with him on this documentary).

https://twitter.com/hollykpayne

My prayers go out to both and hopes for recovery for Mr. Schnepp.
Thanks given by:
Marv Inc. (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 01:41 AM   #113
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009

Well that's shitty news.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:13 PM   #114

Aug 2016

Very sad to pass this along but Jon Schnepp passed away yesterday.

More info can be found here.

http://collider.com/r-i-p-jon-schnepp/

RIP
Thanks given by:
kong73 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 10:33 PM   #115
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2012
North Carolina, USA

Heartbreaking. I was shocked to hear the news a couple hours ago. I've been a huge fan for years now. Schnepp was a nerd culture icon and the impact he made on animation, comics, docs, and horror will never be erased. RIP.
Thanks given by:
kong73 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 02:44 AM   #116

Aug 2016

Agreed.

Collider Video won't be the same without him.And even sadder that this happened during Comic Con.Based on everything known about him,SDCC was like the Superbowl for him.

Geek culture has lost a true ambassador.
Thanks given by:
kong73 (07-26-2018), MattJ1991 (07-23-2018), Woody8 (08-01-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America