Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
$24.96
12 hrs ago
Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
13 hrs ago
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
21 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Long Shot (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 hrs ago
War Dogs (Blu-ray)
$4.99
1 hr ago
Logan 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
1 hr ago
Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs

Old 04-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #521
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Sony OLEDS are available in the US as well.

It was Samsung that stopped making OLED's, your right Sony OLED's are still offered in the USA. However many retail stores in the USA are only offering LG OLED's. Perhaps over time more retail stores well get Sony OLED screens instead of the requirement to go to the retail stores website to special order a Sony OLED display.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #522
Super Moderator

Jul 2006
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
It was Samsung that stopped making OLED's, your right Sony OLED's are still offered in the USA. However many retail stores in the USA are only offering LG OLED's. Perhaps over time more retail stores well get Sony OLED screens instead of the requirement to go to the retail stores website to special order a Sony OLED display.
Samsung never really entered the consumer OLED market though, they were still just in CES prototype mode when they stopped R&D.

Best Buy across USA sells Sony OLEDs, that's some 1000 stores. Most major cities list independent retailer options as well, hard to find one using their "WHERE TO BUY" that doesn't show non-Best Buy retailers.

US online retailers include Best Buy, Crutchfield, B&H, WalMart and Electronic Express.

You should really have no issues finding a Sony OLED in North America, they're not messing about with OLED.

Of course if anyone wants to drive to the Niagara region with a truck, I'd happily hook you up with a good deal on a Panasonic.

Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 PM   #523

Aug 2011
San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shemp View Post
Still have a Panasonic plasma set from 2011 and not getting rid of it until it dies. I love what I have seen of OLED but concerned about motion handling issues which would drive me nuts.
I got my Panasonic TH-50PZ800U in 2009 and it's still going strong. I dread the day that it finally dies and I'm not going to actively look for a replacement until it does. There doesn't seem to be a direct replacement that I'd like at the moment.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:11 PM   #524

Sep 2014

Still loving my 50" VT25 plasma, after 8 years it's still going strong

When she does eventually die on me, I'll be looking at online classified sites for a used Panny plasma. I frequently go into my local high end audio/video shops, and occasionally shop at big box stores for movies and other accessories... and I've yet to see any LCD, LED, OLED, 4K or other tv set that has a more natural and film-like presentation than even an entry-mid level plasma, regardless of price. And most importantly, none of them present motion properly... I think current displays are a very noticeable step backwards, and seem to just keep getting more and more artificial enhanced looking

I'd go for an entry-mid level projector and screen over any current TV's, even if I was only going to use the projector to produce a 60-70" image.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #525
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2011
Alaska

I regret that I sold my Plasma. I wonder if it would still be going strong today. All I know is it provided better 3D than my current 4K set.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:05 PM   #526
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Still loving my 50" VT25 plasma, after 8 years it's still going strong

When she does eventually die on me, I'll be looking at online classified sites for a used Panny plasma. I frequently go into my local high end audio/video shops, and occasionally shop at big box stores for movies and other accessories... and I've yet to see any LCD, LED, OLED, 4K or other tv set that has a more natural and film-like presentation than even an entry-mid level plasma, regardless of price. And most importantly, none of them present motion properly... I think current displays are a very noticeable step backwards, and seem to just keep getting more and more artificial enhanced looking

I'd go for an entry-mid level projector and screen over any current TV's, even if I was only going to use the projector to produce a 60-70" image.
How are you going to get a film-like image with a projector, which probably going to be an LED, LCOS or DLP based technology, none of which projects, in my opinion, a film-like quality.

At some point, we have to accept the shift in paradigm and move on.
Old 06-15-2019, 09:34 PM   #527

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
How are you going to get a film-like image with a projector, which probably going to be an LED, LCOS or DLP based technology, none of which projects, in my opinion, a film-like quality.

At some point, we have to accept the shift in paradigm and move on.

Well, every projector and screen setup that I've seen doesn't have the motion problems or "soap opera" effect that every single LCD, LED, OLED 4K TV has. Projector and screen setups also don't have the overly sharpened and enhanced picture like most of those TV's, and look much more natural and film like to me because of that. I want naturalness and realism in my display, not artificial looking sharpness and detail that just gives a wow effect.

Just because display technology has shifted to something new and fancy doesn't mean we should accept it if it's favoring quantity and features over quality.

I will only give in and downgrade to that if there is absolutely no other choice available... ie. if I can't find a second hand plasma or PJ and screen on the planet, haha
Thanks given by:
saprano (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM   #528
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2007
Bronx, New York
Send a message via AIM to saprano

Check out how this VT20 plasma compares to 4K LCD and OLED

Go to 4:02
It looks so much more natural and the colors are significantly better. And that's not even the newest model. It's funny they used a VT20 and not the ZT60. Seeing how the VT20 looks, i'm not surprised. The ZT60 would of destroyed them even more.

Last edited by saprano; Yesterday at 03:22 PM.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM   #529
Special Member

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twm1988 View Post
Well, every projector and screen setup that I've seen doesn't have the motion problems or "soap opera" effect that every single LCD, LED, OLED 4K TV has. Projector and screen setups also don't have the overly sharpened and enhanced picture like most of those TV's, and look much more natural and film like to me because of that. I want naturalness and realism in my display, not artificial looking sharpness and detail that just gives a wow effect.

Just because display technology has shifted to something new and fancy doesn't mean we should accept it if it's favoring quantity and features over quality.

I will only give in and downgrade to that if there is absolutely no other choice available... ie. if I can't find a second hand plasma or PJ and screen on the planet, haha
I do understand what you are saying. CRT looks more natural than Plasma, however CRT was made obsolete even by Plasma. I agree, that Plasma looks more natural than the other digital display technologies. BTW, still have my Kuro going strong after 10 years.
Thanks given by:
Twm1988 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #530

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auditor55 View Post
I do understand what you are saying. CRT looks more natural than Plasma, however CRT was made obsolete even by Plasma. I agree, that Plasma looks more natural than the other digital display technologies. BTW, still have my Kuro going strong after 10 years.
Yeah I still have an old 37" CRT tube TV at my cabin and I take all my DVDs that I've rebought on Blu-ray out there to watch, and I can say that the DVD version of the movie on the tube TV looks better than the Blu-ray version on the plasma

At one time I considered dumping the plasma and just going back to the CRT... probably would have lasted me the rest of my life with that one TV, haha. But in the end, I couldn't go back to the smaller screen size. If they ever make a 60" tube TV, I'd be all over it... even if it weighed as much as a truck!!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Plasma TVs