Best DVD Deals

Best DVD Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Keeping Up Appearances: The Complete Series (DVD)
$39.99

Tom & Jerry (DVD)
$17.96

Land (DVD)
$17.96

Transformers: The Complete Original Series (DVD)
$39.99

Fuller House: The Fifth and Final Season (DVD)
$17.99

Rugrats: The Complete Series (DVD)
$49.99

The Father (DVD)
$14.99

Vera: Set 10 (DVD)
$20.99

The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (DVD)
$13.00

The Mauritanian (DVD)
$17.96

Steven Universe: The Complete Collection (DVD)
$59.98

Atlantic Crossing (DVD)
$26.45

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 05-21-2016, 03:38 AM   #1

May 2014
Florida
Default Mannix Complete Series

I recently got the complete series Mannix. I had never seen the show but I like 60's and 70's and 80's tv. I must say, not only am I enjoying this show but the DVD PQ is really outstanding. I read they remastered it and all can say is they did a great job.
In short, if shows like this are in your Interest, check it out. The show starts in 1967. There are great shots of awesome cars of that era plus architecture which I am into. For me it's not just about the show, it is all of the elements, basically it's a time capsule of days gone by.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:10 AM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

Thanks for this--I was unaware that they had released anything other than season sets. I remember this programme fondly and am glad to hear it holds up.
Old 05-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #3
Special Member

Apr 2014
Charleston, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikita70 View Post
I recently got the complete series Mannix. I had never seen the show but I like 60's and 70's and 80's tv. I must say, not only am I enjoying this show but the DVD PQ is really outstanding. I read they remastered it and all can say is they did a great job.
In short, if shows like this are in your Interest, check it out. The show starts in 1967. There are great shots of awesome cars of that era plus architecture which I am into. For me it's not just about the show, it is all of the elements, basically it's a time capsule of days gone by.
As a young teenager in the late 60's I used to love watching Mannix ..... it was a really cool show for the time.
Thanks given by:
nikita70 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

May 2014
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post
Thanks for this--I was unaware that they had released anything other than season sets. I remember this programme fondly and am glad to hear it holds up.
I order the complete set but it's just all the seasons that were shrink wrapped together, there's no slipcase.
Thanks given by:
John_Drake (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 08:04 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2013

I see, so it is just a re-bundle of the existing season sets.
Amazon lists this around USD74 was that comparable to what you spent?
Old 05-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #6

May 2014
Florida

I got it with credit card points so basically it was free. I just let my points build for several months and then get a lot of DVD and BD sets. This time it was Mannix, Simon & Simon seasons 3 & 4, Indiana Jones BD set, Testimony of Two Men, Shogun BD set.
Thanks given by:
John_Drake (05-21-2016)
Old 05-21-2016, 11:24 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2008

It's a solid series for sure. Like the old school Hawaii 5-0 where you can always count on McGarrett to do the right thing, the same holds true for Mannix. I do love some contemporary shows but everything seems to have a gray outlook. It's great to return to a time when bad guys where bad and good guys were good. America still had a moral compass.

I'm up to season 4 and so far all the seasons look great. Season one is interesting in that it was never included in syndication. (They changed the format in season 2 where Mannix becomes more a traditional detective. In the first season, he works at a place called Intertect and Mannix usually one ups the then cutting edge technology offered by that firm.) Watching this series has made me a fan of Mike Connors. He is perfectly cast in the show and is the reason you keep coming back episode after episode. It's cool hanging with Mannix!!
Thanks given by:
nikita70 (05-21-2016)
Old 05-29-2016, 12:13 AM   #8

May 2014
Florida

Another thing I love about watching these old shows is the guest stars. John Colicos (BSG-78) was in the pilot. Neil Diamond played in a bar scene. Buffalo Springfield played in a college scene. And I haven't even made it halfway through the first season.
It's watching great tv shows like this that make me buy other older shows. I usually buy complete collections if available.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:13 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2011
WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Drake View Post
Complete Series is finally coming out in May.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:56 AM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

On more than one occasion these past few months, I've been thinking about rewatching the series Mannix (even though I didn't like how the series ended with the episode "Hardball". But at least there was that episode of Diagnosis Murder).
Old 05-03-2021, 11:32 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Midlands, UK

A few days ago, I decided to start re-watching Mannix from the beginning. Watched the pilot "The Name is Mannix" and the following episode "Skid Marks on a Dry Run". This was great stuff, an intelligent private detective series with brains. Still love the jazz-sounding music score. And from the off, Mike Connors has been great as Joe Mannix.

You can see why the show lasted eight seasons. There are probably other shows I've missed, but I can only think of four American private detective series which lasted for eight seasons (Mannix, Barnaby Jones, the original Magnum, P.I. and Simon & Simon). But in the case of Mannix, it lasted for eight full seasons (whereas the others had seasons which weren't a full season).

I noticed this before and thought it was odd. Spotted it again at the end of the end credits when the Desilu logo was shown. Was the first season of Mannix filmed a year before it originally aired in the States?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > DVD Movies