Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
23 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99
25 min ago
Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99
1 day ago
Baise-moi (Blu-ray)
$19.99
23 hrs ago
Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29
21 hrs ago
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99
18 hrs ago
Smile (Blu-ray)
$23.49
1 day ago
Wildcats (Blu-ray)
$19.99
13 hrs ago
Eyes of a Stranger (Blu-ray)
$24.99
18 hrs ago
Nobody 4K (Blu-ray)
$30.99

I Dream of Jeannie: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
Old 04-13-2021, 01:04 AM   #1

Sep 2019
Question b&w blurays on 4K tv issues?

Just bought a 43" Sony X80 H ultra hd tv with X1 4K HDR processor. Everything I have watched on it thus far has looked amazing with one exception. Black and white movies on bluray. The amount of grain that is suddenly visible seems to hinder the picture quality IMO. So much so that I almost want to say that the films looked better on my old HD tv. Granted I'm still using a regular bluray player with 4K HDMI cables. If I upgrade to a 4K player will the upscaling fix the problem or make it worse?

I am not tech savvy I'm afraid. Is this a common thing with Sony 4K tvs? Is there someone out there that can recommend a solution for the picture settings who has this or a similar model?

Last edited by Mecha74; 04-13-2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:45 AM   #2
Expert Member

Dec 2020

This may not be of much help, but you will want to turn off Extended/X-tended Dynamic Range. If that X80 is like my X90, it will automatically turn on for HDR content (as it should) anyway. It could make the details, including grain, I guess, of SDR content stand out too much.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #3
Special Member

Sep 2018
Region A

I am not an expert on 4K TV either but I have been enjoying it casually for 2.5 yrs so far.

Abrupt grain visibility is most likely due to the TV setting and not likely due to Sony/brand. There are AUTO settings that tends to mess with the viewing, both for the better or worse such as: AUTO motion smoothing, AUTO contrast, AUTO local brightness, etc. Try turning off these AUTO settings and rewatch. B&W may be making the auto transitions more noticeable.

If that doesn't work, you can also try turning down the SHARPNESS. Blu ray is naturally HD so there's no interpolation going on (so looking more natural?) but TV software upscaling to 4K requires filling in a lot of pixels so softening the picture may help.

Your TV also probably has the default MOVIE mode, which tends to soften the picture and turn down the brightness (at least on my Samsung) for a dark room viewing and it may also turn off the one or more AUTO modes that interfere with typical movie viewing.

Last edited by GRD43L; 04-13-2021 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
This may not be of much help, but you will want to turn off Extended/X-tended Dynamic Range. If that X80 is like my X90, it will automatically turn on for HDR content (as it should) anyway. It could make the details, including grain, I guess, of SDR content stand out too much.
It's film grain that is naturally in the movie, and can't be removed, (which is a good thing) because if DNR was applied, the movie will lose it's detail, and it'll make the movie look as if it was filmed with a camcorder. HD and 4K enhances the grain to make it more apparent.

Last edited by slimdude; 04-13-2021 at 10:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 08:57 PM   #5
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha74 View Post
I am not tech savvy I'm afraid. Is this a common thing with Sony 4K tvs? Is there someone out there that can recommend a solution for the picture settings who has this or a similar model?
As mentioned film grain is what it is, I've never found it a distraction. But I would check your sharpness settings, they should be 50 and switch to Custom picture mode.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:17 PM   #6

Sep 2019
Thumbs up

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I will certainly give them a try. And for those who were wondering, I don't want the grain gone, I just want it to look normal. What I am seeing seems excessive and doesn't look normal to me at all. Especially on smooth surfaces without texture and closeups of people's faces. It appears as an almost haze or snow with an odd glow to it that doesn't make me think I am watching a classic film from another era but rather something else that just doesn't look right. Like I said I never has any issues with b&w blurays on my HD TV, they looked astounding, I guess I was hoping they would look ever better in 4K.

While I'm here, what is the consensus on watching older film blurays in general in 4K or on a 4K player? I was thinking about upgrading to a 4K player, but if it ends up making older films look worse then I probably won't. Sure newer movies look incredible of course, but about half of my bluray collection is older movies from the 1930s all the way up through the 1980s.

In any case I'll check back in to let you know what I discovered.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited by Mecha74; 04-13-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #7
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

If the older movies are presented properly in 4K then they'll be the best they've ever looked, especially if they're coming from great sources or restorations.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:19 AM   #8
Expert Member

Dec 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimdude View Post
It's film grain that is naturally in the movie, and can't be removed, (which is a good thing) because if DNR was applied, the movie will lose it's detail, and it'll make the movie look as if it was filmed with a camcorder. HD and 4K enhances the grain to make it more apparent.
I know. Just saying that the added light from X-tended dynamic range could make the grain stand out more than it is supposed to.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:24 PM   #9

Sep 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warm Gun View Post
I know. Just saying that the added light from X-tended dynamic range could make the grain stand out more than it is supposed to.
This right here. I think it best described my situation. Anyways, after tinkering with different filters, the sharpness and the brightness levels everything looks perfect now. Thanks again for the suggestions everyone.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion