Best Anime Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Secret World of Arrietty (Blu-ray)
$16.19
7 hrs ago
Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.59

The Wind Rises (Blu-ray)
$16.19

Bleach: Set 10 (Blu-ray)
$32.99
11 hrs ago
The Cat Returns (Blu-ray)
$16.19

4 Film Favorites: The Matrix Collection (Blu-ray)
$11.99
21 hrs ago
Earwig and the Witch (Blu-ray)
$19.79
1 day ago
Ranma ½ OVA & Movies Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
6 hrs ago
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$35.99
12 hrs ago
Kiki's Delivery Service (Blu-ray)
$16.19

Black Lagoon: Complete Collection Season 1 and 2 + Roberta's Blood Trail OVA (Blu-ray)
$35.99

Naruto Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$14.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 10-09-2020, 05:06 PM   #81

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolo Seagull View Post
I tried searching for this and couldn't find it. What is Anno's stance on preserving the legacy dub?

I've got to think GKIDS are aware of the demand for the legacy dub, but it's going to come down to Anno/Studio Khara's stance on whether they want it preserved or not, right?
I don't think Anno has shown interest in regard to the various dubs of Evangelion. In the 2019 article where he gave details on the Gainax debacle, he did say he wanted to acquire or save what he had done at Gainax throughout the years. He ultimately failed except for Eva...
It does show he cares about the preservation of his work & the one of his colleagues at Khara that worked at Gainax.

On the other hand, Anno did set up some association to preserve anime and tokusatsu materials. Anime Tokusatsu Archive Center (ATAC) so he does care a little more than some other producers.

Anyway, I don't think Anno supervises every detail about the overseas releases. This is all done by staff responsible for international sales at Klockworks & Khara. He probably did decide on which version of the series & movies us westerners would be provided with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hideaki Anno
I could have shrugged off the loan that never got repaid, but we were anxious to preserve the production materials we had poured blood, sweat, and tears into.
(I do believe he's not totally correct when he says Gainax owes him for Nadia, Gainax was a subcontractor of Group TAC that was paid a fixed price for Nadia. This was explained in details by Toshio Okada in a lengthy conference specially recorded by and for the french TV channel Nolife)

Last edited by SpaceDandy; 10-09-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #82
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Khara was heavily involved in 3.33’s redub after FUNimation’s early theatrical dub. That dub had the same voice actors, and FUNimation was allowed to include their original theatrical subtitles on their Blu-ray in addition to Khara’s own subtitle track. That suggests that Khara might be okay with including prior translations and localizations as long as their own is included. It’s also possible that the Netflix dubs were Netflix’s idea (I don’t think anyone else uses VSI regularly for anime, except Eleven Arts sometimes), but Khara was heavily involved because they simply have to be for new localizations.

Last edited by GeoffOliver; 10-09-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Thanks given by:
Tylerfan (10-10-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #83

Mar 2019

Crunchyroll uses or has used VSI for (foreign) dubs
Old 10-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #84
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by TThomas View Post
Crunchyroll uses or has used VSI for (foreign) dubs
Still, the choice of VSI seems to suggest that Netflix handled the new dub themselves, whether Khara wanted the new dub or not.
Old 10-10-2020, 04:23 PM   #85

Aug 2018

VSI is an international dubbing company which has partners all around the world (and one of the few). For Netflix it was much easier to commission a new dub (with one contractor, VSI which has subsidaries in many country) than negotiate the rights of each dub individually. That's it.
I'm pretty sure the new dub is owned by Netflix, not Khara.
Thanks given by:
GeoffOliver (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #86

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDandy View Post
VSI is an international dubbing company which has partners all around the world (and one of the few). For Netflix it was much easier to commission a new dub (with one contractor, VSI which has subsidaries in many country) than negotiate the rights of each dub individually. That's it.
I'm pretty sure the new dub is owned by Netflix, not Khara.
Netflix may have commissioned the dubs, but they do not own them. They are almost always owned by the JP company now (either the rightsholder or the company selling international rights). Netflix commissioned several dubs for titles like Violet Evergarden, but ABC Animation gave those dubs/subtitles to their home video licensing companies like Funimation, Madman, and All the Anime, not Netflix.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (10-10-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:17 AM   #87
Expert Member

May 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
Misato is so radiant she could turn me straight. That's what a best girl is all about.
Who's your best boy? (Mine is PEN PEN)
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:35 AM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittysGelato View Post
Who's your best boy? (Mine is PEN PEN)
Definitely Pen Pen!!
Thanks given by:
SmittysGelato (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 02:18 AM   #89
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2012
Denmark

PenPen is at the very top among anime pets.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (10-11-2020), SmittysGelato (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 04:04 AM   #90
Expert Member

May 2020
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle15 View Post
Definitely Pen Pen!!
You, my good sir, have IMPECCABLE taste.
Thanks given by:
Kyle15 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:19 AM   #91

Feb 2014

I hope this release is excellent. I could care less about which dub we get, I just want top tier video quality, presented properly with the correct ED song etc.., and obviously good quality subtitles.
Thanks given by:
professorwho (10-11-2020), Talal86 (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 09:14 AM   #92

Aug 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Netflix may have commissioned the dubs, but they do not own them. They are almost always owned by the JP company now (either the rightsholder or the company selling international rights). Netflix commissioned several dubs for titles like Violet Evergarden, but ABC Animation gave those dubs/subtitles to their home video licensing companies like Funimation, Madman, and All the Anime, not Netflix.
This may be true for the USA but it's not for Europe and certainly other countries. Also you may not know it these are "given" to the home video licensor or if they paid Netflix' price to acquire it (which is probably nothing for an english anime distributor but a huge investment for a Spanish, French, German or Italian one). Again, what is happening in Europe shows that it is NOT the case. Or not globally. And I'm pretty sure if the english audience gets Netflix dubs is simply because distributors can licence them from Netflix. I see no reason that would justify a different regime for European and American companies.
Old 10-11-2020, 10:18 AM   #93

Mar 2019

I don't know if the German market is handled different regarding licensing, or if just the amount of money involved solves the issue, but there was only one case where a German release ommitted the Netflix dub: The 7 Deadly Sins Movie
(and this was done, cause the distributor commissioned an own dub for a cinematic release before Netflix released their for streaming)

To give an insight in some markets:
In France they "The Ancient Magus Bride" got a Blu-ray-release in Collector's packaging, with all 27 episodes, priced at $40 (+tax & shipping) - but only with a 1500 unit print run.
https://www.anime-store.fr/as/images...nde/7781_2.jpg
(Reprint with "Essentials" pricing after the CE sold out 15 months later)

And a huge bunch of series that even got a LE treatment in the US and UK, don't get a physical release in France at all (and even if, most stay subbed only)

And as long no cinematic release is involved nor the franchise itself gained popularity due to TV-airings ages ago (like Dragon Ball), the situation in Spain and Italy is quite similar. So it's quite possible that japanese licensors don't bother aquiring the dubs...

In Germany however, the average anime release is said to sell about 2000 - 3000 units per volume with pricings between Funimations LE and Aniplex (adjusted to episode count).
Old 10-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #94

Aug 2018

SRP was 60€ and Magus is owned by Crunchyroll, they just contracted @Anime to design the packaging and distribute it. Dub is owned by CR.
Anyway, that's not exactly the point. Here Netflix has nothing to do with the physical release here.

But what you're saying does suggest that German distributors can afford to purchase dubs from Netflix & the likes.

Quote:
And as long no cinematic release is involved nor the franchise itself gained popularity due to TV-airings ages ago (like Dragon Ball), the situation in Spain and Italy is quite similar. So it's quite possible that japanese licensors don't bother aquiring the dubs...
Spanish is one of the most spoken language worldwide and so far the first elements seem to suggest that Selecta won't have it. Acquiring it would be good for emerging countries which may want nice anime releases in the future (who knows??) but it doesn't seem to be happening.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:35 PM   #95

Mar 2019

Quote:
SRP was 60€ and Magus is owned by Crunchyroll, they just contracted @Anime to design the packaging and distribute it. Dub is owned by CR.
I was reffering to the actual price at anime-store.fr, and this has always been 45€ incl tax and shipping. (So approx $40 net + tax & shipping)

If the dub was owned by CR, it's pretty weird that they still don't have it avaiable for streaming.

Quote:
Spanish is one of the most spoken language worldwide and so far the first elements seem to suggest that Selecta won't have it. Acquiring it would be good for emerging countries which may want nice anime releases in the future (who knows??) but it doesn't seem to be happening.
There are huge differences between the latin american and european variants of the spanish languages. As a result, most anime get either two different dubs or none at all. (Or if only one dub was produced, it will only be distributed on one side of the ocean)
Crunchyroll and Netflix produce different subs for Europe and Latin America, Netflix also always two different dubs. Afaik Hidive is the only service that uses Latin American subtitles in Spain (as their market share in Spain is way to low to justify translation efforts)

So no, distributing European Spanish releases in Latin American most likely won't work.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:21 AM   #96

Apr 2014

Would be nice to have an idea of when we might have the privilege of finding out details about this set. I'd like to know if I should pull the trigger on the dvds or not.
Old 10-12-2020, 02:36 AM   #97
Power Member

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshitaka View Post
Would be nice to have an idea of when we might have the privilege of finding out details about this set. I'd like to know if I should pull the trigger on the dvds or not.
Since it’s been announced for 2021, I wouldn’t expect to hear much (if anything) until the new year.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:02 PM   #98

May 2017
Durham, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sevakis
I've recently learned of at least 3 well known older anime that are/were unlicensable because they used English songs and never cleared the rights internationally. I don't think fans understand what a nightmare it can be when this crops up, especially if it's an OP/ED.
Quote:
Is this your subtle preparation for us to be prepared for disappointment over a lack of “Fly Me to the Moon”?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sevakis
Call me paranoid, but given the timing of these tweets and the tweets teasing his working on Evangelion, I'm worried the worst-case scenario might come true.

(sources here)
Thanks given by:
Albie989 (10-14-2020), BigOnAnime (10-13-2020), CommanderShiro (10-15-2020), GeoffOliver (10-14-2020), InuYashaCrusade (10-13-2020), Mikezilla3k (10-14-2020), professorwho (10-13-2020), SpazeBlue (10-14-2020), StarDestroyer52 (10-13-2020)
Old 10-13-2020, 07:13 PM   #99
Power Member

Jan 2020
Indianapolis, IN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footlong Shoe View Post
Call me paranoid, but given the timing of these tweets and the tweets teasing his working on Evangelion, I'm worried the worst-case scenario might come true.

(sources here)
Just another reason for people to hang on to their old ADV sets.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #100
Expert Member

May 2020
Canada

I can do without Fly Me to The Moon. I dig it, but it isn't THE reason I love the show. Infact, anime creators should avoid using music that can't be lisensed forever.

Now...If they edited Misato out of the show I would go full on beast mode and riot.
Thanks given by:
nabelnabel (10-14-2020)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime