Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
RahXephon: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$89.99
1 day ago
Star Trek: Lower Decks Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
Whisper of the Heart (Blu-ray)
$15.72

12 Monkeys (Blu-ray)
$27.99

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie (Blu-ray)
$23.30

Coming to America 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (Blu-ray)
$27.99

The Dark Knight (Blu-ray)
$10.25
1 day ago
Terminator Genisys (Blu-ray)
$10.99
1 day ago
Rawhead Rex (Blu-ray)
$24.35

Dragon Ball Z: Season 9 (Blu-ray)
$36.99
1 day ago
Shooter (Blu-ray)
$10.49
1 day ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 06-22-2018, 12:59 PM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

The lack of subtitles on the extras is disappointing. However, commentaries can be difficult and expensive to subtitle, and this has two of them. I haven't checked, but some of the video extras might be available subtitled in the (region B) UK set.

I had been waiting for a Korean Blu-ray release of this film, which was one of my top five films of 2016. I happened to wake up at around 5:45 a.m. this morning and see the email. I too had a hard time deciding between type A and type B. I ended up going with type B after Googling Empire Designs (who are creating the artbook for type B) and being impressed by their work. I still kind of want the storyboard book, though... I just didn't really care for the art for type A compared with type B. The 1/4 slip was already sold out by the time I saw the email from Plain.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:18 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Gorgeous packaging, but the extras probably not having any subtitles puts me off.

If you're someone that cares about extras, the UK extended version is the way to go unless we get verification on extras being subtitled on these versions, right?

I finally saw this movie two weeks ago, and loved it utterly. I was unaware that there were "short" and long versions when I saw it. The 142 minute version didn't feel at all abbreviated. I'll be curious to see the longer version. I'm wondering if it feels like many extended versions where they just stuck deleted stuff back in to make it marketable as a separate version, but it's actually greatly inferior as the pacing is thrown completely off (ex Alien/Aliens, almost any modern comedy).
Old 06-22-2018, 01:51 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Most Korean blu-rays don't have subtitles on the extras. No real surprises here. The dvd version that came out over a year ago didn't have subtitles on the extras either.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #24

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefactory View Post
Gorgeous packaging, but the extras probably not having any subtitles puts me off.

If you're someone that cares about extras, the UK extended version is the way to go unless we get verification on extras being subtitled on these versions, right?

I finally saw this movie two weeks ago, and loved it utterly. I was unaware that there were "short" and long versions when I saw it. The 142 minute version didn't feel at all abbreviated. I'll be curious to see the longer version. I'm wondering if it feels like many extended versions where they just stuck deleted stuff back in to make it marketable as a separate version, but it's actually greatly inferior as the pacing is thrown completely off (ex Alien/Aliens, almost any modern comedy).
It says there are subtitles for the films but not the special features on the product pages.

While the Special Features aren't as good on the UK (the behind the scenes stuff is a bunch of Korean TV EPK fluff), there's a quite lengthy BFI Q&A with Park Chan-Wook that's pretty informative. Unless Plain Archive does an about-face with their special features, then the UK edition is as good as any. It comes in a hard digipack too that looks beautiful, housing an Amaray case for each cut.

And the Extended Version is really great, especially if you're a fan of the film. Some scenes are worth the inclusion, others are just little extensions of stuff that was already there.
[Show spoiler]The biggest change is that the reveal that Sookee is working to con Lady Hideko is delayed until the Count arrives at the mansion. I actually love this change, as it reinforces the motif of unreliable perspectives much earlier than the Theatrical Version.
Thanks given by:
tek8080 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #25
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2009
Denver, CO

Got Type B.

I haven't purchased a blu ray in a very long time, but I really loved this movie. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyone else notice the 2 full slips have the movie title on the back side of the slip? Or at least, the opposite site they usually are on.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:12 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:

My only problem with the UK edition is that it is region B locked. While I own a region free player, it's a nuisance to have to use a specific player to play a movie. So one of my reasons for ordering the Korean release is to get a region A edition of the extended version.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #27
Expert Member

Apr 2016

It looks like they have no control over the special features not being subtitled. They keep responding to all inquiries on Facebook with this: "Please direct the question to CJ E&M as it is their release. Thank you."
Old 06-22-2018, 03:50 PM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009

Got Type A. This was a shock to wake up to. So glad I was able to get one.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:31 PM   #29
Expert Member

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderBaby View Post
Got Type A. This was a shock to wake up to. So glad I was able to get one.
That brings up a good point. They haven't really said what these are limited to, have they? I wonder if it's just an open pre-order for a while.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek8080 View Post
That brings up a good point. They haven't really said what these are limited to, have they? I wonder if it's just an open pre-order for a while.
Can't be too limited. It's on Nova Media and Yes Asia too.
Thanks given by:
tek8080 (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #31

May 2009

I wonder if they'll have the difference in languages spoken being differentiated with subtitle colors (i.e. yellow for Korean, white for Japanese) or is that too much to hope for?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:04 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

Grabbed the FS Type A.
Gorgeous film!
I think Type B has the better cover but I wanted that Storyboard Book.

Last edited by Gorgon; 06-22-2018 at 05:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
InspectorLupus (06-23-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:14 PM   #33
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heapashifter View Post
Can't be too limited. It's on Nova Media and Yes Asia too.
It looks like itís just the postcards that are exclusive to Plain Archive.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:18 PM   #34
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2015
Great White North

I wonder if this (plus their 4 day break) might push "A Most Wanted Man" into July?
Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #35
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
I wonder if they'll have the difference in languages spoken being differentiated with subtitle colors (i.e. yellow for Korean, white for Japanese) or is that too much to hope for?
Was just talking about that in the CJ Entertainment thread. The answer is probably not because the Korean dvd wasn't like that.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:24 PM   #36

Aug 2012

Quote:

Totally agree that the extended version suffers badly in pacing. Worse, its extra comic elements throw its eroticism totally off. I really regretted watching the extended version first. I did not like it. My opinion of the film changed completely after I rewatched it on the theatrical version. So I do advise people to watch the theatrical version first.

At a low price, the UK special edition is also worth getting just for the extras alone. Consider its slipbox a bonus.
Thanks given by:
(W)KRP (07-12-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:36 PM   #37

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobsever View Post
Got Type B.

I haven't purchased a blu ray in a very long time, but I really loved this movie. Couldn't pass it up.

Anyone else notice the 2 full slips have the movie title on the back side of the slip? Or at least, the opposite site they usually are on.
Yes, I noticed that too. There is a minority of releases that has the title on the reverse side. I hope in this case it is just a mistake of the stock pics and that they would correct it. Maybe someone can email PA about it.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:41 PM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2015
Myrtle Beach, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bblu View Post
Yes, I noticed that too. There is a minority of releases that has the title on the reverse side. I hope in this case it is just a mistake of the stock pics and that they would correct it. Maybe someone can email PA about it.
I've been seeing it like this more and more. Blufans is known for it, but a number of my Korean releases from smaller companies are doing it too.
Thanks given by:
born2bblu (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #39
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2008
Northern VA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2bblu View Post
The slips have wraparound art, so you would have the title on the "back" (i.e., the side with the doll on Type A) unless they flopped the images.

Looks like Type A is now sold out at Plain Archive.
Thanks given by:
born2bblu (06-22-2018)
Old 06-22-2018, 05:45 PM   #40

Aug 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek8080 View Post
PA did say that only limited quantities are available through their online store. As of now, both the 1/4 slip and type A are sold out.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks