Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Netherlands Japan Mexico
The Twilight Zone: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$41.24

Color Out of Space 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.96
16 hrs ago
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Drive (Blu-ray)
$31.99
6 hrs ago
Godzilla vs. Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.99

Dragonheart: 5-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Godzilla vs. Kong (Blu-ray)
$34.99
1 day ago
The Father (Blu-ray)
$21.99

Dead & Buried 4K (Blu-ray)
$43.99

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children Complete 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.49

The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$77.97

Saving Silverman (Blu-ray)
$13.29

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

View Poll Results: Do Macintosh make the best Amos
Agree 9 24.32%
Disagree 28 75.68%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #21
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I forgot all about Cinepro - they make killer amps for HT! I'm also looking at your sig - you have some nice vintage gear down there (Polk RTA-15's back when Polk was still in the High-End, 18 Inch woofers in the Def Tech 2000's, Carver amplification - my type of system ) Off topic - why did you go with a ML center channel and Bose 901's for the rears? (I assume you went with the 901's for their direct reflecting abilities - actually well suited for surround duties - and this is from someone who has no like for Bose, but it makes sense). But the ML? Does it stick out from the rest of the front array timbre wise?

I have been a high-end audio nut since Thomas Edison invented the phonograph.

Actually, I have two center speakers. A Definitive Technology and a Martin Logan. The combination makes my center channel as good as it gets. I have a couple of old equalizers and the timbre is as closely matched as possible. The Bose 901's are the only good speakers that Bose ever made. Their design goes back to the 1960s-1970s when Mr. Bose was still a University Professor. Each one has 9 drivers and they completely fill the room. They cost over a $1,000. I had them and I decided to use them for my rear channels in my 8.4 (2 center channels + 2 fronts+ 2 Surrounds + 2 Rears + 2 Hsu Subs + 2 Built-in subs in Def. Techs.) setup. I use the Cinepro and the Carver amps to drive the speakers. My Denon Receiver is primarily used as a preamp/processor. Thank god my house is a bit isolated. Otherwise, my neighbors would have had me arrested by now for causing earthquakes in Southern California.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 06-28-2008 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 AM   #22

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
I have been a high-end audio nut since Thomas Edison invented the phonograph.

Actually, I have two center speakers. A Definitive Technology and a Martin Logan. The combination makes my center channel as good as it gets. I have a couple of old equalizers and the timbre is as closely matched as possible. The Bose 901's are the only good speakers that Bose ever made. Their design goes back to the 1960s-1970s when Mr. Bose was still a University Professor. Each one has 9 drivers and they completely fill the room. They cost over a $1,000. I had them and I decided to use them for my rear channels in my 8.4 (2 center channels + 2 fronts+ 2 Surrounds + 2 Rears + 2 Hsu Subs + 2 Built-in subs in Def. Techs.) setup. I use the Cinepro and the Carver amps to drive the speakers. My Denon Receiver is primarily used as a preamp/processor. Thank god my house is a bit isolated. Otherwise, my neighbors would have had me arrested by now for causing earthquakes in Southern California.
Ah-ha....you equalize your center channel - ok, now I get it. I used to do that also before I went to identical speakers across the front. I posted my system in the Home Theater Pic's thread. I can see how that would work now. You have a very powerful and dynamic HT. Keep on enjoying it.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:44 AM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Ah-ha....you equalize your center channel - ok, now I get it. I used to do that also before I went to identical speakers across the front. I posted my system in the Home Theater Pic's thread. I can see how that would work now. You have a very powerful and dynamic HT. Keep on enjoying it.
Your system isn't bad either. I like the old Infinity Kappas and Snell also makes great speakers. I remember Infinity used to make unbelievably large speakers a few years ago. I believe they were designed by Arnie Nudell. I saw them demonstrated at a high-end show. I was tempted to buy them, but they were too expensive.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 06-28-2008 at 02:50 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:55 AM   #24

Dec 2007

Quote:
Your system isn't bad either. I like the old Infinity Kappas and Snell also makes great speakers. I remember Infinity used to make unbelievably large speakers a few years ago. I believe they were designed by Arnie Nudell. I saw them demonstrated at a high-end show. I was tempted to buy them, but they were too expensive.
Yes, Nudell designs where the hey-day of Infinity (mine were designed by him). My Snells are the last ones designed by Peter Snell himself (before he had a heart attack on the plant floor). They are now the template for the famed Audio Note AN/E series speakers.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:22 AM   #25

Nov 2007

Quote:
Yes, Nudell designs where the hey-day of Infinity (mine were designed by him). My Snells are the last ones designed by Peter Snell himself (before he had a heart attack on the plant floor). They are now the template for the famed Audio Note AN/E series speakers.

I don't know who design the speakers but my first speakers were Infinity Modulus (Satellite + Powered Sub). It looked really nice & look expensive even though I only paid around $1000 brand new (retail was $3000 for the system).
Old 06-28-2008, 04:24 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2007
Daddyland

[QUOTE=Big Daddy;984576]
Actually, I have two center speakers. A Definitive Technology and a Martin Logan. The combination makes my center channel as good as it gets.[QUOTE]

Is there a possibility the B&W HTM1D is as good as a center gets?

Old 06-28-2008, 05:29 AM   #27

Aug 2007
ca.

Quote:
I forgot all about Cinepro - they make killer amps for HT! I'm also looking at your sig - you have some nice vintage gear down there (Polk RTA-15's back when Polk was still in the High-End, 18 Inch woofers in the Def Tech 2000's, Carver amplification - my type of system ) Off topic - why did you go with a ML center channel and Bose 901's for the rears? (I assume you went with the 901's for their direct reflecting abilities - actually well suited for surround duties - and this is from someone who has no like for Bose, but it makes sense). But the ML? Does it stick out from the rest of the front array timbre wise?
I have an SAE A501 that I bought at a pawn shop for 350 bucks I see them on ebay from time to time. I am always looking for it's big brother the SAE A1001. These amps were american made at a time when that was still a good thing.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #28
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremal View Post
B&W makes excellent and very expensive speakers. I am sure you know that speaker quality is a very subjective matter. My point simply was that the combination of a top-of-the-line Definitive Technology and a top-of-the-line Martin Logan center speakers will give you excellent results for home theater applications. Other center channel speakers will give you different sound, but not necessarily better sound.

Old 06-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #29
Expert Member

Sep 2007

The best stereo amp that I have personally heard was a pair of Ayre MX-R monoblocks paired with B&W Nautilus wired with Transparent Audio Opus MM. Now, the speakers and cabling might have something to do with it, but the amps themselves were also spectacular.

Another amp in the stratospheric category that I have not heard, but have read many reviews and personal accounts of, are the Lamm ML3's paired with Wilson Audio Alexandria X-2's. Then again, for an amp pair that costs in excess of 120k (much less the X-2's which are also about 120k/pair), they better sound freakin' spectacular.

Bottom line: each listener will find something a bit different to like, but overall I feel that, yes, there are better amps out there than the Macs.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:08 AM   #30

Dec 2007

[QUOTE=Gremal;984811][QUOTE=Big Daddy;984576]
Actually, I have two center speakers. A Definitive Technology and a Martin Logan. The combination makes my center channel as good as it gets.
Quote:

You know thats a great center channel I would put the Wilson Watch up against it though!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:09 AM   #31

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
I have an SAE A501 that I bought at a pawn shop for 350 bucks I see them on ebay from time to time. I am always looking for it's big brother the SAE A1001. These amps were american made at a time when that was still a good thing.
Yes, I remember them when I was oversees in the Military. Great amps!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 AM   #32

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegal3 View Post
I don't know who design the speakers but my first speakers were Infinity Modulus (Satellite + Powered Sub). It looked really nice & look expensive even though I only paid around $1000 brand new (retail was $3000 for the system).
If its the original Modulus - yes its designed by Nudell as well
Old 06-29-2008, 01:02 AM   #33

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:

What does cost have to do with anything? I'll throw some particle board together to make an enclosure, run to radio shack, get the crossovers, etc..... and find some woofers/tweeters and make a "one of a kind" custom, center channel speaker...... I'll put it on ebay for $100,000 (free shipping) I guess that makes what I make better than the HTM1 and all other speakers costing less????
Old 06-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007
::1

Wow this thread got off the rails.

Best? - no clue but after several reboots I settled on a pair McIntosh MC2102 and a single (bridged) MC275 all with some personal tube upgrades. It's a nice balance with my Paradigm Sigs. As for center, and I'm embarrassed to admit, I picked up the Sig C5 because it was matched to my R/Ls and Servo Sub. I haven't regretted it.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:51 AM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
What does cost have to do with anything? I'll throw some particle board together to make an enclosure, run to radio shack, get the crossovers, etc..... and find some woofers/tweeters and make a "one of a kind" custom, center channel speaker...... I'll put it on ebay for $100,000 (free shipping) I guess that makes what I make better than the HTM1 and all other speakers costing less????
I am shocked and surprised at your comment. I simply stated the prices for the the sake of those who may be interested in buying the speakers. Generally, when I see an interesting product, I would like to know the price.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #36
Power Member

Jun 2007

All I can say is wow.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:35 AM   #37

Nov 2007

Quote:
If its the original Modulus - yes its designed by Nudell as well
Yes, it's the original modulus.

Quote:
You know thats a great center channel I would put the Wilson Watch up against it though!

or Dynaudio Evidence center

Last edited by tegal3; 06-29-2008 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #38

Apr 2007
Los Angeles

Quote:
I remember Snells were always billed as having the most natural and room filling bass response of speakers being put to the test (old Audio/Video Interiors, issue from the early-90's). No subwoofer needed. Keep in mind that this was before .1 LFE for home.

Snell subs were also very unique in the sense that their high-end subs were passive and THX certified.

Last edited by rarredoa; 12-30-2010 at 03:59 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers