Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Doors 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.09
8 hrs ago
Flesh Gordon (Blu-ray)
$22.99
8 hrs ago
Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
10 hrs ago
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Rocketman 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.99
8 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Long Shot (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

The Shining 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > Car Audio and Video

Old 06-07-2009, 11:29 AM   #1

Jun 2009
Default Blu-ray Player in Car

Dear Friends,

I am building a car pc and I love to have a blu-ray player in my car. I have almost all the requirement needed for the blu-ray and just waiting for the drive. here is my complete worklog: http://www.tatasafariclub.com/page/b...pc-tata-safari

But now my question is, Do I need to SPDIF or HDMI output to enjoy the 24/96 audio from the blu-ray/dvd-audio. I have searched your site and found that we can enjoy full hd using analog output. Is it true? Why I am asking this again here, one of the project manager working in a dsp company is saying me that I need SPDIF:

Quote:
So from my point of view until you replace your JBL 75.4 with an amplifier with either S/PDIF ( limited to 5.1) or an HDMI interface you will never ever hear any actual Dolby TrueHD or DTS MA output be it 5000$ or 50000$
This thread is located at: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sound-...safari-14.html
Old 06-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibm_jennifer View Post
But now my question is, Do I need to SPDIF or HDMI output to enjoy the 24/96 audio from the blu-ray/dvd-audio. I have searched your site and found that we can enjoy full hd using analog output. Is it true?
hd audio via analog is possible, as long as you have a player decoding and the ability to output over analog. But...not too many PC's have this particular capability. Is it possible? yes, probable...not really.

You definitely want to look into an HDMI connection. S/PDIF will limit you to 2.0 (stereo) HD audio.

HDMI is the best option. But if S/PDIF is the only option, there is nothing wrong with that too.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:47 AM   #3
Super Moderator

Feb 2007

Instead of adding a PC bluray player, you could add a standard car BD player.

Mitsubishi produces mini Blu-ray player, says it will be used in cars

The first in-car Blu-ray player: The Panasonic CY-BB1000D
Old 11-24-2009, 06:49 AM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

i'd use the analog outs to decode lossless audio inside PC because there are no car ummm "AV Receivers" that decode lossless audio. don't even get into that digital stuff.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #5

Jul 2010

hello guys, i am new to this forum but i searched on google and this thread seems perfect for me

i want to put my PS3 in my car so passengers can watch bluray movies and play PS3 games in the back.

i need small monitor with HDMI (so it connect to my PS3), i am looking at these monitors on www.carcomputer.co.uk...

10.1 inches HDMI monitor

8 inches HDMI monitor

what do you guys think? would they be suitable?

simon
Old 07-13-2010, 01:47 PM   #6

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.romin View Post
hello guys, i am new to this forum but i searched on google and this thread seems perfect for me

i want to put my PS3 in my car so passengers can watch bluray movies and play PS3 games in the back.

i need small monitor with HDMI (so it connect to my PS3), i am looking at these monitors on www.carcomputer.co.uk...

10.1 inches HDMI monitor

8 inches HDMI monitor

simon
You would need a power inverter for the PS3, but it should be fine...... I have a 7" touchscreen with built in DVD player in my jeep, and there are inputs so I could connect a Blu-ray player too.... but it doesn't support anything that would give me HD video, so there isn't a point in it for me (not that I need Blu-ray for a 7" display anyways)

You're probably better off going with one of the built in units with DVD really.... but it's your money.....

What type of vehicle are you trying to put a 10" monitor in, and how do you plan on mounting it?

EDIT:

My unit is so old (old Clarion) that I would actually need to buy some DTS decoder if I wanted that for my DVDs....... I'm not even sure what audio codec it's giving me, but with a jeep, when the top is down and the doors are off.... it doesn't make a whole lot of difference
Old 07-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #7

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post

Quote:

10.1 inches HDMI monitor

8 inches HDMI monitor

simon
You would need a power inverter for the PS3, but it should be fine...... I have a 7" touchscreen with built in DVD player in my jeep, and there are inputs so I could connect a Blu-ray player too.... but it doesn't support anything that would give me HD video, so there isn't a point in it for me (not that I need Blu-ray for a 7" display anyways)

You're probably better off going with one of the built in units with DVD really.... but it's your money.....

What type of vehicle are you trying to put a 10" monitor in, and how do you plan on mounting it?

EDIT:

My unit is so old (old Clarion) that I would actually need to buy some DTS decoder if I wanted that for my DVDs....... I'm not even sure what audio codec it's giving me, but with a jeep, when the top is down and the doors are off.... it doesn't make a whole lot of difference
thanks for the reply mate! i drive an Audi A4 Sedan but the in-car entertainment isnt enough for me!!!

i will buy all the hardware and i have a good friend of mine who knows all the ins-and-outs of fitting car electronics so he can sort out all the power!

this 8 inches screen has vertical slot mount. and this website called brodit has headrest mounts for vertical slot.

this is probably how i would mount it, unless you can suggest an alternative?
Old 07-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #8
Special Member

Dec 2008

What Amplifier are you planning on using? The only reason I'm asking is because I have done the exact same thing as you for my Grand Am and it took a while to get everything to work properly.

Be weary about the HDMI enabled amplifiers. I had one that crapped out in 2 months and another that died in 3 months. Two completely different brands.

I would suggest that you use a S/PDIF enabled Amplifier. Because when you really think about it, and from tests done from myself and some of my other Home Theatre buddies, how much of a difference between Dolby Digital / DTS and TrueHD/MasterAudio are you really going to notice inside a vehicle?

Also, make sure you are using a DC-DC power supply and not any kind of AC-DC power inverter. If you use a AC-DC inverter, you will be getting a really annoying AC whine coming from all of your speakers, as well as a bad hissing noise from the computer's power supply.

I've done around 10 Carputer installs, most of which have been custom designs. If you require any help or insight, just shoot me a PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #9

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:

this is probably how i would mount it, unless you can suggest an alternative?
I wish I could..... but I paid $300 to have mine installed for me I don't know anything about this stuff

One thing I do know is this....... If you put a PS3 in your car, you're begging for problems in terms of HEAT...... I'm assuming you're in the UK, and I'm also assuming it gets hot and sunny there too...... If I were you, I'd buy a cheap-o "less than $100" type Blu-ray player, install it in the trunk, run the wires etc..... can't really change the disc on the fly this way, but it would be much more protected than just slapping a PS3 in there somewhere......

where were you planning on putting the PS3??? Reason I ask is this.....

When I first had my in-dash installed, I put the "brain" unit under the steering column, so it was protected from the elements..... Friends thought it was "cool" so we put a PS2 in there, and they would play it etc, but the PS2 sat at the feet of the person in the passenger's seat..... it wasn't an ideal setup, NOR was it permanent.... had I installed it permanently, I probably would have to remove the glove-box..... (My jeep is also a manual, which gets in the way of the center console etc...)

Basically when I'm driving, the brain unit is directly above my ankles/knees and tucked out of sight.... normally they are under one of the seats, bolted down, but because I get standing water in my jeep quite a bit, this wasn't an option.... (the inside of my jeep has been covered with spray-on truck-bed-liner, and I leave the drain plugs pulled out all year long)

I'm on my second brain unit, since the first one finally rusted out and died from numerous times being left out in the rain...... I'm guessing it was from the condensation that happened after parking it, while the water on the floor dried, because the brain never got exposed to direct sun or rain. I don't really care per-se, I just figure once this one dies, I'll get a 'normal' CD player, since I only use it for Satellite radio now anyways, and the random concert-DVD which I can live without.

I don't think a PS3 could handle the heat..... obviously water isn't an issue for you in an A4 though.

EDIT:

also, my player will "whine" for about 3 minutes when I first start it up in the winter....... over the years, the laser etc has become pretty angry due to the 10 degree farenheit weather we get around here in the middle of the winter
Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Blu-ray Count

Jul 2007
Miami, FL
Send a message via AIM to JJ Send a message via Yahoo to JJ

Didn't Panasonic have a portable in-car BR player coming out some time ago?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007

I had a Blu Ray player in my car way back in Nov 06.

(Just briefly as I was bringing the PS3 from Walmart to my house. )
Thanks given by:
Visionist (10-25-2014)
Old 07-21-2010, 07:06 PM   #12
Banned

May 2007
Irvine, CA

This is only my opinion but why bother putting all these fancy stuff inside a car nowadays? Just drive wherever you need to go and come back home.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLURAYSONYES View Post
This is only my opinion but why bother putting all these fancy stuff inside a car nowadays? Just drive wherever you need to go and come back home.
Oh I dunno maybe for long drives on vacation when you have kids or other people riding with you?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

for the quest for true multi-channel surround sound lossless audio. while stereo is fine and dandy many audiophiles love lossless 5.1 or 7.1 and want to play that BD-Audio (BDA "Profile 3.0"), SACD/DVDA and so on in their car. it's pretty awesome to be able to do so (if/when possible). there's been a lot of BDAs released... i hope they continue that trend.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
Banned

May 2007
Irvine, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by s00perd00per View Post
Oh I dunno maybe for long drives on vacation when you have kids or other people riding with you?
When this happens my kids have their own DS or Ipod with them.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #16

Jul 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
for the quest for true multi-channel surround sound lossless audio. while stereo is fine and dandy many audiophiles love lossless 5.1 or 7.1 and want to play that BD-Audio (BDA "Profile 3.0"), SACD/DVDA and so on in their car. it's pretty awesome to be able to do so (if/when possible). there's been a lot of BDAs released... i hope they continue that trend.
Newish Town and Country Minivans have Blu-ray built in. I checked the one I bought for the wife and it does support Blu-ray audio. Sounded really good.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #17
Special Member

Aug 2011
Minnesota!

The new Toyota Sequoias limited has the BD player. I have dvd in mine since it is older but I might buy one of those one day and install it myself.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:35 AM   #18

May 2014

Wow..don't think I've heard of a Blu Ray player in a car.
Old 02-28-2017, 12:57 AM   #19
Banned

Mar 2016
Default I love my car bluray player!

Let me say again, I love my car bluray player.

First of all, I got this:

And then a little cheap amp for it.

Now many of you have said, what is the point? Why watch movies in the car? Do you really need that great a quality? The answer for me is NO!

Bluray has other purposes besides video.

First of all, lets get this out of the way in regards to the car. I hate streaming, I hate compressed files, I hate chip sets, I hate hard drives, I hate file trees, I hate taking the eyes of the road, I hate play lists, I hate separate battery sources.

What I like. CD's, because I like quick access, I like clicking (and keeping eyes on the road), I like Disc at Once, I like cheap massive storage, I like cool artwork, and most of all I LOVE PHYSICAL MEDIA.

What I don't like about CD's, too short of space.

So back to the point, what if one has a SUPER CD! Just like with tv shows in SD not utilizing the massive space of bluray, the same is exponentially true of music on bluray.

Case in point. Take most any artist. In normal CD quality, you can fit the entire catalog on one disc. Sure you can use fancy menus and all that, but if you are person like me who loves the ALBUM and CHRONOLOGICAL order, and most of all quality putting in one disc and letting it play is a god send.

No menus, means that the bluray player will remember where you left off every time you turn you car back on. Actually, most bluray players can even remember the place marker when the power is pulled, because with disc at once, it is like a record player that has the power shut off in a groove.

I recently transferred Pet Sounds in 24 bit 192khz from the 2fer record (if you don't know the quality of this record, please research, because it is THE way to listen to this masterpiece!) and I have to say, IMHO it is a far better listen than the HD Tracks version. There is something about a high quality recreation of the limited dynamic analog record that is just pure magic.

The best part, plays like a dream on this bluray player and along with all the other customs I have made from my CD and record collections this has made road listening the best way for me to go. Oh yeah, and there is that whole blurays are harder to scratch, and of course the fact that they are DIRT CHEAP TO BURN.

So whether it is redbook CD or high def files from HD downloads, or HD transfers from records at full resolution, blurays have a place in the car as far as I am concerned. Oh, and don't give me the guff about car speakers not having the capacity to utilize the extended range and quality of bluray BULL.

I wish blurays would be utilized for bulk cataloging because this is what I believe will bring back sales. So many artists deserve the one disc treatment, but even if it never happens for me, it is the only way I listen to them anymore.

Oh yeah did I mention ink jet printing with printable discs coated with a cheap silicon to make them water resistant, sure helps for slinging around in you car.

Oh yeah, and yes you can play movies as well. Ok glad I got that out of the way.

Here is a picture of some of my custom jobs from my CD collection transferred. Man I love having those guest appearances and various soundtracks in their proper chronological order saved in physical posterity!

I welcome any thoughts, though I doubt I ever get any considering how dead this subject is...which is a shame.

p.s. If this sounds hostile, well it is from my ears bleeding from the so called death of physical media and the "rock is dead" crap. Never forget that interfaces and presentation sell records just as much as content. The current bluray audio state of affairs is not enough bang for your buck and it is no wonder why music sales have gone the way of subscription poor quality crap.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion > Car Audio and Video