Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Chucky: The Complete 7-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Local Hero (Blu-ray)
$27.37
10 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Murder! (Blu-ray)
$19.98
3 hrs ago
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99

Men in Black: International 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

The Banana Splits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
4 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #1
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007
Default Denon AVR-X8500H AV receiver (13.2 CHANNEL Flagship)

This is a very nice $3,999 Denon 13.2 Flagship A/V receiver that supports Auro-3D and upgradable in the future to HDMI 2.1.

Select quotes

"Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D decoding up to 7.2.6 or 9.2.4"

"Calling this a receiver would imply that a radio tuner is part of the package, and the AVR-X8500H does indeed include an AM/FM tuner. But with no HD Radio onboard, radio reception is one feature that’s been downgraded from prior models. (Denon’s last flagship receiver, the AVR-X7200W, included HD Radio.)"

"As you would expect from a new flagship receiver from one of the big boys, the AVR-X8500H is loaded to the gills with the latest tech. All eight (one front/seven rear) HDMI 2.0b inputs support 4K/60p and HDCP 2.2, along with Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma high dynamic range. Next-gen HDMI 2.1 connections aren’t available yet, but Denon has promised a future HDMI 2.1 hardware upgrade option (cost hasn’t yet been specified) for the AVR-X8500H."

https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...eceiver-review

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 08-08-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Thanks given by:
Robert Zohn (08-09-2018), Scarriere (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 08:25 PM   #2
Retailer Insider

Nov 2009
Scarsdale, NY

I've been using one for a couple months and we love this receiver.
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (08-09-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
This is a very nice $3,999 Denon 13.2 Flagship A/V receiver that supports Auro-3D and upgradable in the future to HDMI 2.1.

Select quotes

"Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, and Auro-3D decoding up to 7.2.6 or 9.2.4"

"Calling this a receiver would imply that a radio tuner is part of the package, and the AVR-X8500H does indeed include an AM/FM tuner. But with no HD Radio onboard, radio reception is one feature that’s been downgraded from prior models. (Denon’s last flagship receiver, the AVR-X7200W, included HD Radio.)"
Since Bluetooth, the majority of the consumers hardly ever listens to the radio on their receivers, nor in the vehicles anymore, and haven't been for years. People are pairing their portable media devices via Bluetooth to their receivers and cars to listen to their music. Who's going to pay extra for Sirius Music Channels, when you can get all the music you want for free on the internet (If you know how to do it). All of the receivers that I've had, and the one that I have now, I have never listened to the radio. I didn't even connected the FM Antennas to none of my receivers. Right now, I have a box full of brand new FM Antennas that are still packaged in their original plastic from the manufacturer, that came with the receivers. Radios (in general) are becoming a thing of the past because, people are playing their own music, and listening to what they want to hear, and when they want to hear it. Personally, the tuner feature on the receiver, I can strictly do without.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-10-2018)
Old 08-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

It should be mandatory to make all A/V receivers built in with HD Radio, but in reality that is not the case. I prefer listening to music that is PCM or lossless audio. HD Radio uses lossy audio that is near FM quality for AM and near CD quality for FM, however if I had a HD Radio I would mostly use it for talk radio shows if I found the time to listen to it.

I do like the 13.2 channel and Auro-3D feature on the Denon. I also am interested in the ability for a fee being able to upgrade the HDMI 2.0b ports to HDMI 2.1.

Lets see if Pioneer comes out with a flagship 2018 A/V receiver soon to replace their 2016 flagship model. I never have had a reliability issue with the Pioneer, but one out of one high-end Denon I purchased new in the box was defective many years ago. However I am willing to try Denon again and perhaps the quality has improved over the years.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-10-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 07:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
It should be mandatory to make all A/V receivers built in with HD Radio, but in reality that is not the case. I prefer listening to music that is PCM or lossless audio. HD Radio uses lossy audio that is near FM quality for AM and near CD quality for FM, however if I had a HD Radio I would mostly use it for talk radio shows if I found the time to listen to it.
The reason the upcoming x6500H and the released x8500H have no HD Radio is because there simply isn't a need for OTA broadcasts of questionable quality anymore. When one can connect to multiple services via the internet, there is zero need for this, even in rural locations. Personally given a choice between SiriusXM and FM radio which do you think I use in a car even? Yes FM radio is that bad even when they had some FM HD content available. Kudo's for Denon moving forward and starting to ditch this albatross from the FCC.
Thanks given by:
Scarriere (08-12-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
The reason the upcoming x6500H and the released x8500H have no HD Radio is because there simply isn't a need for OTA broadcasts of questionable quality anymore. When one can connect to multiple services via the internet, there is zero need for this, even in rural locations. Personally given a choice between SiriusXM and FM radio which do you think I use in a car even? Yes FM radio is that bad even when they had some FM HD content available. Kudo's for Denon moving forward and starting to ditch this albatross from the FCC.

Perhaps one day Denon well also ditch analog AM/FM radio. HD Radio is very popular feature found indash car stereo's. What did Denon save $25 or $50 dropping the HD Radio feature on a $4,000 A/V receiver. Now if there was a reliability issue with the A/V receiver by having HD Radio built in, then I am all for dropping the HD Radio feature (I doubt that is the issue). Many years ago when HD Radio was a standard feature on many Denon A/V receivers, I decided to purchase a Denon over a Pioneer because of the HD Radio feature. However the new Denon A/V receiver was defective with massive problems. Instead of exchanging it I ended up replacing the Denon with a Pioneer Elite A/V receiver with no HD Radio feature since at that point I was looking for something very reliable after my first Denon experience. However I am willing to try Denon A/V receivers sometime in the future again since they most likely have improved the quality of their A/V receivers and perhaps my defective Denon A/V receiver was maybe a freak thing where only one out of 100 or one out of 1,000 is bad and I happen to get the buggy defective one new in the box.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 08-11-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:10 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Perhaps one day Denon well also ditch analog AM/FM radio.
That bit of a dipole antenna AVR vendors include is ghastly for reception unless you are in a big city. FM needs a fairly strong signal otherwise your audio quality is poor. That is the main reason I tested usage and abandoned it with my Denon versus internet radio or using AirPlay.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:54 AM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

My family members currently have all their Pioneer A/V receivers and one Yamaha A/V receiver connected to a long range outdoor roof top VHF/UHF/FM antenna with a 360 degree rotor (some people that have home owners associations in certain areas in the United States use a attic TV/FM antenna in their house for all their home theater rooms). Analog FM stereo reception works great on the Pioneers and the AM radio when connected to only a indoor loop antenna works better then most other brands (but AM reception is a challenge even for people that own special outdoor AM/shortwave radio antennas). Even the 10 year old flagship 2008 Pioneer Elite A/V receivers have Internet radio which is awesome for listening to stations around the world. AM and FM radio is limited to local broadcasts only versus Internet radio worldwide access to AM and FM stations. However during Internet outages AM/FM radio is a nice feature to have. Plus in some rural areas the Internet speed because of ADSL2+ distance issues over copper cable the download speed is only a maximum of 16Mbps and 1Mbps upload. Which is plenty of bandwidth if one is using 128kbp Internet radio, but if one starts streaming a 4K Ultra HD movie no one else in the same house can use the Internet or there well be quality issues with the person using VUDU or Netflix 4K Ultra HD streaming.

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 08-13-2018 at 05:11 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers