Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Captain Marvel (Blu-ray)
$24.96
3 hrs ago
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
12 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Sully (Blu-ray)
$4.99
4 hrs ago
Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
4 hrs ago
Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM   #1

May 2010
Default Think I need a receiver - PCM -> DD isn't handling everything

Long time audio guy. Marantz SR5006 in my front room with a 1080p Samsung 60" and BA 5.1 speaker setup.

Bought a Samsung 40" 4K for the guest bedroom. I've got a Playseats racing chair I use in there, and it just isn't possible to move that around and "make it work" in my condos front room. But I did add a leather recliner, and a swivel stand so I can play F1 2017 and GT in the Playseat chair, or switch to the recliner for movies and stuff.

So I made do with the TV speakers for a couple weeks, but they weren't cutting it. Tried adding my old Logitech z-680 speakers to the mix, but when I go...

Xbox One S or PS4 to TV with HDMI and Bitstream. TV to speakers with PCM, having to select DD or DTS format in the tv sound settings.

The console audio is usually ok, but when I use the smart apps built into the tv.. some play back in DD, some end up "stereo" and use the sound modes the speakers provide to do more than two speakers, and it's inconsistant.

I'm thinking if I get a 4K capable receiver, go consoles to receiver (still bitstream), and then receiver to TV... I can probably go Bitstream from receiver to TV, use ARC to return audio as necessary, and with the receiver able to handle any sound I provide to it... I should be good.

Cost will HAVE to be managed, as I don't have any spare $$$ and so keeping the receiver and speakers (if I get any) will need to be watching every penny. And I haven't seen any "boxed Home Theater" systems that have a powered sub and great audio quality. So I think I'm buying a receiver seperate from anything else.

Thoughts? Am I right? Just wanna make my back room setup (aka SMALL room) better without breaking the bank.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:45 AM   #2

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

Have you looked at accessories4less.com? You can get an 80W Pioneer and a 5.1 set of yamaha speakers for $300. I cant tell enough about your set-up from what you are describing. If you are just using consoles as a source and the TV for picture with some external speakers connected to the TV, you are going to want to set the consoles to PCM. And further, some of the consoles you can pick the codec like DD or DTS. You should select DD. When you send bitstream to a device that doesnt decode say, DTS-MA, you get a processor that has to guess how to interpret the signal and it could guess really badly hence the inconsistency. With a better receiver you would go all source devices into receiver as bitstream then use your main HDMI out to TV. You shouldnt need the ARC unless you have speakers in the gaming chairs or something. Even then you could set them up as zone 2 in the receiver and the source to main.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:31 PM   #3

May 2010

Good morning and thank you for your reply!

I looked for several days at receivers, trying to make up my mind on something that could do Atmos in case I ever had a place big enough to place the speakers, etc. It would be an upgrade to my Marantz at that point, which might move to a smaller room, etc. And looking at the Atmos speaker options with upward firing speakers, so I didn't need 11.1 to do Atmos, I was thinking I might go that way.

But then a buddy who's another HT guy, and demands high quality audio as he has an excellent ear for music, told me about Atmos enabled soundbars. As you say, we found a Pioneer Elite system that had a "receiver", soundbar with upward firing speakers, and powered sub. It had been an $1000+ system when new in 2017, but was selling for $500ish on various sites. Never one to ignore factory refurbs, as that's how I bought my Marantz and Boston Acoustic speakers, saving about 1/2 price on both... I found the Soundbar set for $350 shipped and took a chance.

Overall, I've been VERY pleased. The overall audio quality is excellent. I have a wonderful, full sound that is NOT lacking. The system decodes every audio format I'm aware of, so Dolby Atmos and DTS:X are no problem, let alone any of their previous "best" formats. Movies sound amazing, and while my 4K tv is only a 40", it looks great with proper configuration.

The ONLY "issue" I've noticed IS with the decoding. Jurassic Park and Jurassic World discs are only in DTS, not Atmos... from what I understand. I had the Blu-Ray set that wasn't DTS:X, but a previous gen format. I bought the newer 4K set which IS DTS:X, but again... not Atmos option. This in and of itself isn't an issue, but my only 4K "disc" player is my Xbox One S. And it requires me to choose Atmos or DTS, it doesn't just send the Bitstream out in whatever format the disc is in. As a result, when I watch Jurassic Park, the "receiver" says the audio is in Atmos format, but I know that isn't true... because they didn't release the Blu-Ray in Atmos.

Don't get me wrong, the movie still sounds VERY impressive. But I bought the sound bar to not HAVE to select an audio mode via TV, Player, or Receiver. I simply want the audio to play back in the format on the disc or streaming service, in its highest quality, and it to sound the way the studio intended. I don't know if buying a different 4K Player would resolve this issue or not, but I really was trying NOT to throw money around with this solution, and I'm more than happy with the results, not spending $500+ on a receiver, and then needing to spend another $500+ on speakers.

All that said, if there is a "simple" solution to resolve the audio "playback" format between my equipment, without having to go into settings on a device and change them all the time, I'd love to hear it. Thanks again for the reply!!!
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #4

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

I'v never heard of a device that just knows what you want without trying to set it to what you want. But the following comes as close to what you want to do as i can tell. If you set all your source devices to bitstream then the more capable receiver does the decoding for the speakers. So, If you put a disk in your player that has DTS:X, and your receiver has the capability to decode DTS:X, it will output DTS:X. If the disk had DD at 5.1 it will output that to the receiver. With this example, say you wanted to turn the 5.1 signal into 7.1 (if you have the speakers for it) you could poke a button on the receiver and use a different "listening mode" to do that. Once you have everything set-up correctly, you shouldnt have to constantly be changing setting every time you change source materials. My point is if you have a $1000 dollar receiver then you wouldnt want the decoding done by a $100 player or a $300 soundbar. Your manual should have a chart for what your receiver will decode and what output modes will do for your set-up.
As far as spending $$$ of dollars on speakers, the crappiest home theater in a box systems, when properly calibrated, will sound better than ones costing scads more, that are not.
Your buddy the HT guy should have a SPL meter and could help you with calibration.
Hope this helps.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 AM   #5

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

I just thought of something I ran into last night that may help some. Here is my posted answer to a guy who was having trouble getting multichannel out from his PS4:
I had the same trouble about a year ago. It was driving me crazy. This is what you do. In the PS4 go to settings>Sound and Screen>Audio output settings and set it to "Digital Out (optical)". I have "Audio output priority set to "Linear PCM". YOU STILL USE THE HDMI CABLE AS BEFORE. Just because it says optical doesnt mean you have to use an optical cable. I am actually not sure what would happen if you did use an optical cable as I am using HDMI. Sony claimed that it was some sort of glitch in the nomenclature. However, it has been like that for a l o n g time. That should take care of it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers