Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.99
21 hrs ago
Fast & Furious 8-Movie Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.93

Escape Plan: The Extractors (Blu-ray)
$17.96
3 hrs ago
John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Perfect Blue (Blu-ray)
$20.67
15 hrs ago
Pokémon: Detective Pikachu 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fast & Furious 1-7 Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.14
2 hrs ago
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: The (Almost) Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$30.38

Conjuring Universe Collection (Blu-ray)
$24.48

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Bourne Classified Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 08-30-2018, 04:15 PM   #1

Apr 2018
Default Very basic advice needed please.Novice questions

Hi
Just need some very basic advice. The last av receiver I purchased was back in 1998/99 which was a Yamaha a2.I am thinking of buying the Yamaha RXA 1070 which I think is last years model for budget reasons basically.
What I don't quite understand is,
Why do modern receivers need to go through the TV and have 4k upscaling and HDR etc.?

I'm quite content with the picture I am getting with a 4k Panasonic tv (none HDR) and Panasonic 4k dmp400 bluray player.I think that the 4k player is doing the upscaling of regular bluray to 4k.
Can i not just use the yamaha 1070 for its sound without it affecting the picture? Is this what 4k passthrough is?
Do i need two hdmi cables? bluray player to amp then amp to tv?
Obviously my last amp just required a optical cable.

I'm confused.
Old 08-30-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

You will get different opinions on this but i run a hdmi cable from my oled to the oppo 203 then another cable from the oppo 203 audio out to the avr. I then run all my other hdmi cables from other devices (ps4, cable etc) to the denon. If i want to switch to another input i just do it from the denon remote that is labeled for what that input is. I see your panny 4k player has the same 2 hdmi ports like mine so you can do it that way or just hook everything to your yamaha and try turning all your upscale or video options off.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #3

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll View Post
You will get different opinions on this but i run a hdmi cable from my oled to the oppo 203 then another cable from the oppo 203 audio out to the avr. I then run all my other hdmi cables from other devices (ps4, cable etc) to the denon. If i want to switch to another input i just do it from the denon remote that is labeled for what that input is. I see your panny 4k player has the same 2 hdmi ports like mine so you can do it that way or just hook everything to your yamaha and try turning all your upscale or video options off.
Thanks Evoll
Yes the panny has 2 hdmi ports. So I could use one to the tv and the other (labelled audio out)to the receiver ? That would make things easier.
I'm just wary of the receiver messing with the picture or maybe I might be concerned over nothing.
Thanks given by:
evoll (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #4
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimllfaxit View Post
Yes the panny has 2 hdmi ports. So I could use one to the tv and the other (labelled audio out)to the receiver ? That would make things easier.
Yes, you can.

Quote:
I'm just wary of the receiver messing with the picture or maybe I might be concerned over nothing.
Most modern receivers have an option to leave the video signal alone, but if you're just sending audio to your receiver then it's not an issue.

Having the separate audio helps when you don't want to use the receiver but do want to use the BD player. Some receivers need to be turned on and then off to select their different inputs.

But you'll probably plug other devices into your receiver, so you'd be using the ARC function as well.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 AM   #5

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

One thing to consider is that the Yamaha RX-A1070 is/was the flagship model in their line. When considering which device to decode/process the signal whether it be audio or video, is the quality of the chip doing the operation. The Yamaha should definitely have the edge over the processor in the TV. For instance, if you had say an Oppo 4K player you were using for movies or music, it would have better processors than the Yamaha so as it went through your receiver to the TV, you would want the signal to be unaltered by the receiver. If you had say a game console you were using for the movies or music, you would want the receiver to do the heavy lifting. Bitstream refers to the audio portion only of a recording and is the raw unprocessed stream of data bits. You send this from the output of your source to be decoded by the receiver to output to your speakers. As far as the video, you can set the receiver to just pass through what is sent to it without processing but in my opinion why would you? Again the receiver has more processing power than the TV to upscale/extrapolate/interpret the source encoding.
Old 09-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #6

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmitdan View Post
One thing to consider is that the Yamaha RX-A1070 is/was the flagship model in their line. When considering which device to decode/process the signal whether it be audio or video, is the quality of the chip doing the operation. The Yamaha should definitely have the edge over the processor in the TV. For instance, if you had say an Oppo 4K player you were using for movies or music, it would have better processors than the Yamaha so as it went through your receiver to the TV, you would want the signal to be unaltered by the receiver. If you had say a game console you were using for the movies or music, you would want the receiver to do the heavy lifting. Bitstream refers to the audio portion only of a recording and is the raw unprocessed stream of data bits. You send this from the output of your source to be decoded by the receiver to output to your speakers. As far as the video, you can set the receiver to just pass through what is sent to it without processing but in my opinion why would you? Again the receiver has more processing power than the TV to upscale/extrapolate/interpret the source encoding.
Thanks for the advice.
I think that the player (panasonic dmp 400) may be doing the upscaling as it wasn't until i had set the picture settings correctly on the player that I was impressed with 1080p upscaled.
I guess the thing to do is to see how the receiver upscales and see which i like best.
Would this mean turning off the upscaling in the player if the receiver does it?
Old 09-06-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

Quote:
Would this mean turning off the upscaling in the player if the receiver does it?
I had a peek at the manual for the player. In HDMI menu under resolution you would set it to "native" if that is an option or no upscaling. It doesnt really tell you what the options are in the manual. I guess they assume you have the unit in front of you to go through the options on your own. That looks like a good player but that manual sheeees. Anyway, if native is not an option Blu-ray disks are encoded as 1080P and DVD's are 480p. So you may need to set it to 1080p for both. Then go into the menu for the receiver and set it to upscale video input to 4K. I agree that you should try it both ways and see which you like better.
If you do wind up liking the player doing the decoding, You might want to consider using the 2 HDMI outputs on the player running the video to the TV and just the audio to the receiver. Oh, and look into a universal remote like a logitech. You'll drive yourself crazy reaching into the coffee table basket fumbling around for remotes in the dark!
Old 09-07-2018, 11:45 AM   #8

Apr 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmitdan View Post
I had a peek at the manual for the player. In HDMI menu under resolution you would set it to "native" if that is an option or no upscaling. It doesnt really tell you what the options are in the manual. I guess they assume you have the unit in front of you to go through the options on your own. That looks like a good player but that manual sheeees. Anyway, if native is not an option Blu-ray disks are encoded as 1080P and DVD's are 480p. So you may need to set it to 1080p for both. Then go into the menu for the receiver and set it to upscale video input to 4K. I agree that you should try it both ways and see which you like better.
If you do wind up liking the player doing the decoding, You might want to consider using the 2 HDMI outputs on the player running the video to the TV and just the audio to the receiver. Oh, and look into a universal remote like a logitech. You'll drive yourself crazy reaching into the coffee table basket fumbling around for remotes in the dark!
Thanks man.
Yes the manual is terrible. Panasonic always seem to have trouble clearly explaining things.
Also, yes I have considered using the second hdmi audio out to simplify things as the player seems to be doing a good job of upscaling.
My tv is also a Panasonic but doesn't have HDR (not sure of the serial number off hand) but I can't find any settings on it with regards to upscaling 1080p content. Like I say, it wasn't until I had the player(dmp400) settings set correctly that 1080p gave the wow factor.

Is the main point of sending a receiver through the tv for upscaling,accessing on screen menus? My current old receiver is just a puny optical cable from player to amp.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #9

Oct 2011
Greater Cincy

Quote:
My tv is also a Panasonic but doesn't have HDR (not sure of the serial number off hand) but I can't find any settings on it with regards to upscaling 1080p content.
If your TV manual doesnt mention anything about upscaling, I wouldnt think that it does it. Even if your TV did upscale, you dont want a signal processed more than once. You open yourself up to more problems. And most times you create a choke point where the picture is only as good as the crappiest thing that does the processing. There are some exceptions not relevant here. Rule of thumb though is let only one device do it and use the best one.
I'd say that sending the signal through the receiver to the TV for the user interface and signal processing are the main reasons. I'd say the weight of each point depends on the equipment. I'm sure you know that every setting on your receiver can be done on the unit itself without the TV or the remote for that matter. But, kind of a pain. And the optic cable is actually a fiber-optic cable. It was leaps and bound better than the RCA cable when introduced. That was your first "lossless" cable because it uses light pulses to send and receive the signal and not electric. HDMI just consolidates many cables into one. The insides of one still has stranded wires that do carry the various signals. There are a lot of people whom are intimidated by the hank of cables it used to take to hook up a system correctly. So, HDMI was born. Well it also provides a platform where they can continue to build functionality (ARC, increased bandwidth). Hence the different versions.
Thanks given by:
ilovenola2 (12-15-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 PM   #10

Apr 2018

Thanks for the advice varmitdan its been very helpful.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers