Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Long Shot (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Nikkatsu Diamond Guys: Vol 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99

Batman: The Complete Animated Series (Blu-ray)
$53.99

Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$7.50

Gremlins 4K (Blu-ray)
$25.99

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 08-11-2018, 02:13 AM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Default Marantz SR6012

Does anyone have any experience with the Marantz SR6012? I'm thinking about upgrading my receiver to a newer model that is compatible with Dolby Vision and it looks like everyone currently has this model on blowout in anticipation of the new model (SR6013). I did a comparison of the 6012 and 6013 and can't find a single difference, but I'm sure they must have updated something.

Anyway, it looks like now might be a good time to strike on this one, and Marantz has a good reputation overall, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has one. Speakers it will be running are Klipsch RF-82 mains, RC-64 center, RS-62 surrounds, CDT-5800-C II in-ceiling Atmos speakers, and a pair of powered subs from Power Sound Audio.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:30 AM   #2
Power Member

Dec 2011
Chicago IL

I was looking at this too and read somewhere a lot of these deals huge price cuts from marantz and denon are due to many having problems with them and there just clearing them out for the new models. I can't imagine that is 100% true but enough to keep me away unless I hear other . both brands that seem very similar . I have a made in japan denon and it gets super hot , Both brands are known for getting hot , I have an older yamaha and the thing only gets hot if I forget to shut it off over night and seems to be built better . Sometimes I think the whole made in whatever country is made a big deal and keeps me from buying stuff .
Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa5150 View Post
I was looking at this too and read somewhere a lot of these deals huge price cuts from marantz and denon are due to many having problems with them and there just clearing them out for the new models. I can't imagine that is 100% true but enough to keep me away unless I hear other . both brands that seem very similar . I have a made in japan denon and it gets super hot , Both brands are known for getting hot , I have an older yamaha and the thing only gets hot if I forget to shut it off over night and seems to be built better . Sometimes I think the whole made in whatever country is made a big deal and keeps me from buying stuff .
Thanks for the info. I have read some reviews that say this model gets hot but I wasn't all that concerned about it since I have some fans in my cabinet. I'll look into it some more though. As far as Marantz and Denon are concerned they're both owned by the same parent company and share some of the same parts as I understand it so it makes sense that they could both be having similar problems.
Thanks given by:
sa5150 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 PM   #4
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

After reading some more I decided to give it a shot. I found a pretty good deal from an authorized online dealer and placed an order. I also have an AC Infinity Aircom T8 on the way as well to help with venting the heat.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #5
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

My SR6012 arrived today via FedEx. I spent quite a bit of time dismantling my system and thoroughly cleaning and dusting out my AV cabinet. Then I went to the Comcast office to swap out my cable box because mine died last week. I came home and started putting everything back together. Then I stopped again and went to Wal-Mart and picked up a few lashing straps. I used a staple gun to attach them to the back of my AV cabinet across the bottom, cut them to length, and used them to secure the MESS of cables I have back there. It made quite a difference in how tidy everything is. Anyway I got everything put back together, powered everything up and began going through the setup procedure. I was instantly impressed. The setup process was much more thorough and user friendly IMO than the Pioneer was. As I had burned up most of the day at this point I ran the Audyssey setup without playing with the app. Audyssey of course set my front left/right speakers as large. I changed them to small, bumped up the level of my subwoofers a few dB, and set crossovers for my mains at 60 Hz, and everything else at 80 Hz. I might bump the mains on down to 40 Hz. The spec sheet for my speakers shows a frequency response of 33Hz-23kHz 3dB. I'll have to play with it some to decide. This is a nice change from the Pioneer which did not let me set individual crossovers. I also bumped up the dialogue a couple of dB, which is something else I couldn't do with the Pioneer. At this point my wife had arrived home from work, so without doing any more tweaking than that we sat down for dinner and I put in Avengers Infinity War 4K and started bumping through a few scenes to see how things sounded. First of all, it appears to have all the power I want or need. Secondly, and without me saying anything beforehand, my wife noted that she thought everything sounded "warmer" than before. With only about an hour of playing with it so far, everything sounds more detailed to me than it did with the Pioneer. So far I'm very impressed.

I'm also got a T8 from Air Infinity and I'm really impressed with it also. While I was running test tones I didn't have the fan turned on yet because I wanted the room to be as quiet as possible. The temp on the display of the T8 got up to 102 degrees inside the cabinet. After the test tones finished I turned the fan on high and within about 15 minutes the temp had dropped to the low 80's. It makes a little more noise than I'd like, but I haven't set it up to run automatically yet. As of right now it's just running on high. I also especially like how the form factor mates right up with the Marantz receiver. It's like they were made for each other.

The only thing I've found so far that I don't especially like is when I'm streaming something through the TV (Netflix or Vudu for example) and the TV and receiver use the ARC. It works great and sounds good, but I had to walk up to the receiver and push the status button on the face of it to change the display on the receiver itself to make sure I was getting Atmos. In this scenario I don't know if it's possible to get the receiver to display information on the TV screen to show what audio format is playing. I'm surprised there is no status button on the remote and there wasn't one in the Harmony database either (I use a Harmony One). I'm hopeful there is a solution to this that I just have found yet.

Overall I'm very pleased at this point and am glad I made the upgrade. I'm kicking myself now for not going with a Marantz years ago.
Thanks given by:
MaCruz (08-28-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 01:37 AM   #6
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Download the Marantz app for your phone or tablet. As long as your receiver is network connected you can see what your outputting when using ARC!

I'm playing an ATMOS movie on VUDU via ARC and I see ATMOS as audio output on my phone.

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Marantz Family.
Thanks given by:
Steve (08-23-2018)
Old 08-23-2018, 03:09 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Will do. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:04 PM   #8
Blu-ray Knight

May 2008
Jacksonville, FL

Solarrdadd I downloaded the app you suggested. It worked like a charm. I still wish there was a way to check without having to resort to the app or get up and hit a button the display, but it will work. Thanks again. BTW I'm really digging the Marantz.
Thanks given by:
solarrdadd (09-24-2018)
Old 09-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #9

Apr 2008

Hey Steve, you mentioned upgrading from a Pioneer receiver. Just curious which model you were previously running. I picked up a 7012 with the price drop. Moving from a Pioneer SC25 that I like a lot, but with a 4k monitor on the horizon....
Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
After reading some more I decided to give it a shot. I found a pretty good deal from an authorized online dealer and placed an order. I also have an AC Infinity Aircom T8 on the way as well to help with venting the heat.
I just bought the T9 and it works pretty good on my denon. I set it up on smart with just using two fan levels and it keep my denon around 86 degrees with the cabinet door closed and venting out the back. With the door shut i never hear either fan level kick on even with quiet scenes in movies etc. and def keeps my denon from getting way hot like before.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers