Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (Blu-ray)
$4.99
6 hrs ago
Dark Phoenix 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Godzilla: King of the Monsters 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.59

Hellboy 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$9.99
10 hrs ago
Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
15 hrs ago
Detour (Blu-ray)
$17.24

Dark Phoenix (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Alita: Battle Angel 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96

Fist Fight (Blu-ray)
$4.99
9 hrs ago
The French Connection (Blu-ray)
$6.99
3 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers

Old 11-23-2018, 06:53 AM   #1

Oct 2010
Default Can't get Dolby Vision working on Onkyo TX-NR757

I have the latest firmware (October), tried different cables, every setting I can find, and I can't get Dolby Vision to work.

If I remove the receiver and connect my Apple TV or BD player directly to the TV, they work. If I run them through the Onkyo, I get HDR10, but DV will not work.

I found a few vague posts of people saying "Make sure passthrough is enabled" but I don't see a setting for that.

Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?
Old 11-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2007

If you are saying you installed a new firmware update that changes the HDMI 2.0a ports to HDMI 2.0b with Dolby Vision HDR pass through, then everything else in the chain needs to support Dolby Vision HDR also. The Blu-ray player needs to be a Dolby Vision HDR model and also the display needs to be Dolby Vision HDR. The HDMI cable needs to be a minimum of 18Gbps. The 4K Blu-ray movie also needs to support Dolby Vision HDR.

If all the equipment in the chain is Dolby Vision HDR capable and all the menu settings are correct in the chain, then you may need to upgrade your HDMI cables. Sometimes there is HDMI handshaking problems because of equipment incompatibility issues when using Dolby Vision HDR.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:11 AM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2009
-
-
-

HDTV1080P is correct. Are you sure the firmware update also includes Dolby Vision or just HDR? If your receiver isn't Dolby Vision compatible, then you will not be able to past Dolby Vision through the receiver. To utilize Dolby Vision, you will have to transmit the signal from the Blu-ray player to the TV.

Last edited by slimdude; 11-24-2018 at 03:44 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:58 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

List the brand/model of your TV, BD Player. Also are you using premium certified HDMI cables?

You'd be surprised how many times people have a 4K tv thinking it will play DV when it doesn't support it. Or don't have a player that supports DV.

And your receiver only has three inputs that support HDR/DV pass through inputs 1-3 and that's it so you have to use those for pass through video features.

Get back to us so we are not wasting our time guessing.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

also, did you bother to go to the Onkyo site and read the notes for the new and previous firmwares?

it tells you things that many people f'up, like this:

"The 12-18-2017 update will address the following:
1. Adds support for pass-through function of Dolby Vision signal.
*Set the HDMI OUT to “MAIN” to get the Dolby Vision pass-through (EXCEPT TX-NR555). Dolby Vision will not be available if the HDMI OUT is set to “MAIN +SUB”. "

so, get up off if it and go read the notes at Onkyo and check your settings. the internet is your friend and it wants you to use it.

mind you, this means nothing if either your tv, Blu-ray player or appletv aren't DV capable. in which case
Old 11-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #6

Oct 2010

Sorted it out, it was the cables. I'd already tried swapping them once and no luck. Then I grabbed a pair of Monster Cables for $6.50 each Thursday night. Tried it again & it works!

I had to laugh when it worked since I've always refused to buy Monster and considered them overpriced junk. But since they were in the bargain bin, I grabbed them just to try.

So I'm guessing there's a tad of signal loss going through the receiver. The biggest difference is the last set I tried were rated at 18Gbps and these were rated at 27Gbps
Thanks given by:
HDTV1080P (11-25-2018)
Old 11-24-2018, 09:28 PM   #7
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers