Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | New deals  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Australia Japan
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Switch)
$32.84

Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster (Switch)
$34.99

Assassin's Creed III (Switch)
$29.99

Diablo 3 (Switch)
$37.31

Wolfenstein: Youngblood (Switch)
$32.84

The World Ends with You: Final Remix (Switch)
$29.97

Overcooked! 2 (Switch)
$29.99

Namco Museum Arcade Pac (Switch)
$19.99

ARK: Survival Evolved (Switch)
$29.83

Fate/Extella Link (Switch)
$65.52

Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 (Switch)
$21.31

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden (Switch)
$33.84

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 05-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011
Default Retro Studios possibly making a Star Fox racer.

*can somebody edit the title, it's Retro obviously and not Rare*

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...acing-spin-off

Quote:
A round of internet leaks has suggested Nintendo's Retro Studios - developer of the Metroid Prime trilogy - is working on a Star Fox racing spin-off.

The leaks appeared online over the weekend on reddit and 4chan, and were then reported this morning on multiple gaming sites and blogs.

So, what do we believe? Well, as improbable as Retro making a Star Fox racing spin-off may sound, Eurogamer sources have heard similar.

Details posted to reddit by user DasVergeben, who has a patchy record, touted Retro's Star Fox project as a racing game "like Diddy Kong Racing mixed with F-Zero".

"It will have an adventure mode of some kind (think Diddy Kong Racing) and there will be some boss fights and a hub world like it too.

"It is called Star Fox Grand Prix."

While I hadn't heard the name - and don't know if that is accurate or final - other details line up with what I have heard. The Star Fox series is traditionally a space (and sometimes land) based vehicle shooter, although it has dabbled in various other genres before.

Shortly after the reddit post went live, a logo for Star Fox Grand Prix separately appeared on 4chan, that home of reliable video game leaks. Again, I've not heard that name specifically, but the rest of the details line up.

*can somebody edit the title, it's Retro obviously and not Rare*

Last edited by dyne; 05-14-2018 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:27 PM   #2
Banned

Feb 2015

Has Nintendo learned nothing from Federation Force? Why are they making Star Fox into a racing game instead of just making a new F-Zero with flying mechanics? They added flying to Mario Kart and no one seemed to mind, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same with F-Zero.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaScott128 View Post
Has Nintendo learned nothing from Federation Force? Why are they making Star Fox into a racing game instead of just making a new F-Zero with flying mechanics? They added flying to Mario Kart and no one seemed to mind, so I don't see why they couldn't do the same with F-Zero.
Better yet, why are they not making a proper new Star Fox game with an incredible online multiplayer dogfighting mode? SMDH.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Banned

Feb 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelmaker View Post
Better yet, why are they not making a proper new Star Fox game with an incredible online multiplayer dogfighting mode? SMDH.
Y'know, I admire Nintendo's focus on introducing new mechanics into their long-running franchises, but I also think they go way overboard in some cases. Star Fox Zero would've been way better without the awful Gamepad integration, Paper Mario's been off the rails for over a decade, etc. Plus, they don't apply that same level of change to all their franchises. Kirby hasn't changed much since Super Star or Crystal Shards, Pokemon was basically unchanged from the Game Boy days until the 3DS entries, the NSMB games basically stopped trying entirely after introducing multiplayer in Wii, Splatoon 2 is a glorified expansion pack of the first game, etc. Why are those series allowed to remain the same but Star Fox has to have all these awful gimmicks no one wants and F-Zero has to stop entirely?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:14 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegaScott128 View Post
Y'know, I admire Nintendo's focus on introducing new mechanics into their long-running franchises, but I also think they go way overboard in some cases. Star Fox Zero would've been way better without the awful Gamepad integration, Paper Mario's been off the rails for over a decade, etc. Plus, they don't apply that same level of change to all their franchises. Kirby hasn't changed much since Super Star or Crystal Shards, Pokemon was basically unchanged from the Game Boy days until the 3DS entries, the NSMB games basically stopped trying entirely after introducing multiplayer in Wii, Splatoon 2 is a glorified expansion pack of the first game, etc. Why are those series allowed to remain the same but Star Fox has to have all these awful gimmicks no one wants and F-Zero has to stop entirely?
You make some great points. I agree with you regarding Nintendo trying too hard sometimes to introduce mechanics that aren't necessary, all in the name of "innovation." A Star Fox game in 2018 SHOULD be easy! I'm not a computer programmer but I could easily pitch Nintendo a 2018 Star Fox game concept that would work and would make (most) Nintendo fans happy! However it's like Nintendo can't get out of their own way sometimes. Sometimes the obvious answer IS the right answer. But I feel Nintendo overthinks things at times.

You mentioned Kirby. I was very encouraged after they released Planet Robobot on 3DS a couple of years ago. I really loved that game and I had hoped Nintendo would continue that series. A proper Switch version in a fully realize 3D environment would kick so much ass! I was extremely let down when Nintendo unveiled Kirby Star Allies. Such a safe game, lacking any ambition whatsoever. I'm afraid the Switch Pokémon game will be the same way.

Regard F-Zero, dude just play Fast RMX. It's literally F-Zero in everything but name and it's fun (and punishing) as hell. If Nintendo had published this and slapped the F-Zero name on it, no one would suspected anything different. In fact, why Nintendo didn't just give this developer the license in the first place is beyond me.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2011

Yeah I really don't get what Star Fox and F-Zero are two series they just can't get right anymore while being two series that should be dead simple to create a game for. I think in regards to Switch and this property in particular they really want to push multiplayer. While I'm not assuming this will involve karts (and I don't think it will) it is odd that they go with racing over free roam multiplayer ship combat.

If this indeed is what most of Retro has been working on for the past couple of years I'll wait to say anything negative until we see gameplay but I for sure would much rather have a "traditional" entry because it's been so long since we last had one.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 PM   #7
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2007
Chattanooga, TN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyne View Post
If this indeed is what most of Retro has been working on for the past couple of years I'll wait to say anything negative until we see gameplay but I for sure would much rather have a "traditional" entry because it's been so long since we last had one.
The thing about it for me is between MK8 and Fast RMX, Star Fox Racing isn't something the Switch needs right now. It doesn't need another quirky racing game. It needs a "tent pole" Star Fox game with a great story (like the Nintendo sanctioned anime released on YouTube. Get the same team that did that to write the story and animate the cut scenes within the game!), beautiful, colorful graphics, sprawling varied levels (some on rails, some free roaming, some ground levels, etc), and a killer online multiplayer dogfighting mode! I mean, why the hell is that SO hard for Nintendo to realize?
Old 05-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #8
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009

Just give us a new F-zero and Starfox game, not interested at all in a Starfox racing game.
Thanks given by:
TheZoof (05-15-2018)
Old 01-25-2019, 01:04 PM   #9
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

I guess with Retro taking over the Metroid Prime 4 development from scratch that they must be close to finished on this if it is indeed what they were working on or they will be putting this to one side and focusing all efforts in to Metroid.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:16 PM   #10
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I guess with Retro taking over the Metroid Prime 4 development from scratch that they must be close to finished on this if it is indeed what they were working on or they will be putting this to one side and focusing all efforts in to Metroid.
Yeah I'm guessing whatever they've been working on is mostly done and out this year. It's been 5 years since Tropical Freeze it Wii U. I can't see them scrapping whatever they've been spending that time on. They were probably given MP4 as that was not going well at Namco Bandai AND they're mostly done with this game (or whatever game they were making).

It's probably meant to be Nintendo's big surprise announcement at the next Direct or their E3 direct and announcing the news about MP4 was to get that out of the way so people weren't bummed again like they were after the rumors about Metroid news at The Game Awards didn't pan out.

Show something like Star Fox Racing when people were expecting/wanting MP4 footage would be a disaster. Now that cat is out of the bag and people can just be happy to see a new game reveal whenever it happens.
Old 01-26-2019, 02:39 AM   #11

Nov 2014

I'd be happy to get F-Zero AX or GX if they can't take the time to make a new one. They can do a "deluxe" bundle and call it F-Zero SX!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch